Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase most thanked posts pages

Options
  • 31-07-2019 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭

Suggesting an increase in the most thanked posts pages from its current 3 up to 5. Mainly because popular threads like You Laugh You Lose naturally get a lot of thanks which means other topics dont get seen. Thats fine and everything YLYL is a great thread but its popularity and frequency of posting does result in good posts in other forums not being seen on these pages

Have often seen a good Bargain in Bargain Alerts but because it only gets around 10 thanks it then doesnt make the top three most thanked posts pages and then less people know about it.

Also would never have discovered the Wildlife photography thread without the most thanked post pages but it rarely makes it because of slots being taken up by widely popular threads.

So am suggesting to increase the most thanked post pages from three to five, that way users will be able to discover slighltly less popular but excellent posts posted in less known fora.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Where's the most thanked posts page???????

All Eyes On Rafah

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Muahahaha,

Thanks for your suggestion. On the one hand, I would argue that if we increase the number of pages too much it dilutes the "Most Thanked" aspect. On the other, I will agree that there is some work surrounding discoverability to be done. This is one way we try to use social media at times as well as the monthly updates (and if people see an interesting thread or community initiative I'm always interested in it being highlighted via PM).

Hopefully users feel that they should give a thank to something that they enjoy, appreciate, or find useful. Commenting and thanking can increase the visibility of a post (bumps it up in Latest Posts and can make it appear in Trending or Most Thanked) and, naturally, sharing with others will help too.

Certainly something to consider though and thank you for raising this.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mark thanks for considering. re:dilution, I get your point but if it was increased to five (or even four) pages users can decide for themselves whether or not to go to page 4 or 5 to scan though posts that might only have 10 or 12 thanks.

As you said discoverabilty is important and with that in mind I just feel that because of the dominance of really busy and popular threads like YLYL adding a couple of extra pages would allow excellent posts in lesser used fora to get exposure. I've noticed that on a typical day it takes a post around about 15 thanks to make the cut for page three but when browsing across the site I often notice great posts with 10 or 12 thanks that dont get any exposure at all. It might be posts like someone posting pictures of their pets or wildlife photography or photos of cars or pictures that are farming related. I think that if some of these could get a little more exposure it would enhance the user experience by facilitating more people discovering the lesser known fora on boards.

Anyway thanks again for considering.

Advertisement