Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mario Lopez on transgenderism in kids.

• 31-07-2019 5:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

https://www.newsweek.com/mario-lopez-transgender-kids-parents-1451876

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/mario-lopez-says-encouraging-transgenderism-for-kids-can-have-dangerous-repercussions/

Just taking two random articles, you’ll find plenty more with more one-sided views.

He’s stating that parents should be mindful of making life-long assumptions based on a child of three saying they are a boy or a girl...

I would say if you come from a place of love you really can’t go wrong.”

“But at the same time,” he continued, “My God, if you’re three years old, you say you’re feeling a certain way or you think you’re a boy or a girl, whatever the case might be, I just think its dangerous as a parent to make that determination then, ‘Okay, you’re gonna be a boy or a girl’ . . . I just think of the repercussions later on.”

...I fully agree with him on this but I’m sure he will now lose his current roles because he chose to speak his mind.

Thoughts, boardies?

Comments

Totally reasonable statement, ridiculous that it’d land him in any hot water.

I’m sure when I was 3 I would’ve had my face tattooed like Spider-Man if my parents allowed it. And that’s why we shouldn’t listen to every single thing young kids say and take them literally; because kids are ****ing stupid in all honesty and they haven’t a clue what’s good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He's right - it's almost every other day parents are popping up in the media saying they allowed their very young children transition from male to female ,and always with the support of others they have met online.

Let the kids be kids and stop this utter nonsense around trans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

any mother fker goes near my kid with this guff will be getting a beating...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Think of all the young kids who would be in the bedroom while their mom is changing / brushing her hair / putting on make-up or whatever.
    Kids want to copy what their mammys do. It's a natural thing. Imitation is one form of bonding with the mam. Same if it was with their father.

As kids spend more time with their mams, you can see the likelihood that there would be an increase among the newer generation of mammys that completely miss this point and form the opinion that their boy is really a girl as he likes to dress up / comb hair / put on makeup.

Fast forward:
    The boy is treated as a girl and then later the 'procedure' is done. Hormones kick in and then massive confusion follows. Then depression. Then.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

FutureGuy wrote:
    “But at the same time,†he continued, “My God, if you’re three years old, you say you’re feeling a certain way or you think you’re a boy or a girl, whatever the case might be, I just think its dangerous as a parent to make that determination then, ‘Okay, you’re gonna be a boy or a girl’ . . . I just think of the repercussions later on.â€

What if they say they are a helicopter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

My 3 year old recently asked me why tractors aren't made out of cheese. I'm not taking that little f..ker serious on anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Nice knowing you Mario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Notice how she said in the first video. They de classified it as a mental illness to reduce the stigma.

This is a dangerous precedent. Because all it’s telling me is that they didn’t come to that conclusion through science.

And if MARIO Lopez get flack from this it is definitely a sign of far worse things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Charlize Theron.

Say no more.

Slater making sense, speaks with refreshing candour.

Sad part that in adopting a rational position his career could be jeopardised.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

When did all these mouthy, cretinous, snowflakes take over AH, offended by everything and everyone?

Transgender, immigrants, travellers, you name it, they're offended and every tiny instance boasts a thread.

Just shut it down, it's beyond dull.

Live and let live.

Isn't there somewhere else these angry virgins can congregate, rather than here?

When I was their age, I was getting me hands on some tits, not moaning about someone getting a free house, I was busy getting my hands dirty.

I had bigger fish to fry than wasting my time trumping white nationalism. I didn't care about race, I would've got up on any female, the more exotic the better. Variety is the spice of life, angry virgins. A good ride is what you need, not a tiki torch and a red cap. Step away from your keyboards and go and talk to some girls.

The reason you are miserable is not travellers, immigrants or the homeless - it is you. Your miserable angry life. Sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Number of tits grabbed as a measure of success has great potential. But I can see it being abused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Hobosan wrote: »
    Number of tits grabbed as a measure of success has great potential. But I can see it being abused.

Always with consent, that was the challenge back then. Getting them to like you. That was why we went out, to meet girls and flirt and to get together with them. Great days. Met so many wonderful women in those days. Great nights out.

The tinder thing, I'm glad I wasn't around for that. We used to just see a group of girls and introduce ourselves. Didn't always work, but when it did, it was magic. Great crack, some sparks, some one nighters, some long terms too. Most of my friends are now married to women they met on nights out like that. Don't get me wrong, they and us were out to meet, but not with any clinical strategy. Girls you would not be interested in by looks or job, there just was a spark when out together.

Example - I am an accountant, my now wife told me she would have never picked an accountant in online dating, but thankfully we met naturally and we got on immediately. And still have the spark after three children. There is no substitute for a bit of flirting on a night out.

I take pride in being the one who introduced my friend to his now wife in the Barge, around 2013. There were two girls sitting together at a table at around 6pm and he asked me to try to bring them over to us four lads. No bother, I went over and asked if they would like to join us and of course they did. We all got to know each other and had a great night. My friend got together with her and are still together now.

When did all these mouthy, cretinous, snowflakes take over AH, offended by everything and everyone?

Transgender, immigrants, travellers, you name it, they're offended and every tiny instance boasts a thread.

Live and let live.

Isn't there somewhere else these angry virgins can congregate, rather than here?

When I was their age, I was getting me hands on some tits, not moaning about someone getting a free house, I was busy getting my hands dirty.

I had bigger fish to fry than wasting my time trumping white nationalism. I didn't care about race, I would've got up on any female, the more exotic the better. Variety is the spice of life, angry virgins. A good ride is what you need, not a tiki torch and a red cap. Step away from your keyboards and go and talk to some girls.

The reason you are miserable is not travellers, immigrants or the homeless - it is you. Your miserable angry life. Sort it out.

Aaaand breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Better hope Ireland doesn't follow Canada's example, you'd be in jail for refusing to go along with all this nonesense.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

I see he's already apologised for his "ignorant" comments. You'd think that these celebrities would be wealthy enough at this stage that they can stick to their opinions without being forced into these fake apologies for fear of financial repercussions.

Ironically it all just seems a bit fascist. "Toe the line and say what we tell you or you're fired, no deviation from the script".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Spleerbun wrote: »
    I see he's already apologised for his "ignorant" comments. You'd think that these celebrities would be wealthy enough at this stage that they can stick to their opinions without being forced into these fake apologies for fear of financial repercussions.

Ironically it all just seems a bit fascist. "Toe the line and say what we tell you or you're fired, no deviation from the script".
    Well, if they don't they get muddered on social media, which is why they are famous in the first place. One would think that managers or PR people would teach them how to play dumb or just dodge particular topics.

With all we know about children. You’d think they’d think they’d just let them develop. My son has flip flopped on so many things and he’s not even 10 yet.

They are confused and unsure about so many things. They don’t see the world through adult eyes. They don’t have reason and deductive skills that can help them make an informed decision. As adults we are tasked to help guide them.

That doesn’t mean to start doing things to them that are irreversible.

I have no issue with a person as an adult deciding they want to be trans. No issue with them taking the hormones and undergoing the operation to switch to the sex they identify with.

Why are these people in such a rush to do irreversible things to kids?

If a kid says I’m gay. Fine. If they decide differently later. There is nothing irreversible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You'd think people in general will realise that apologising does nothing. He was on with candace owens, that's enough by itself for these people.

of course i am against it.

wearing a skirt does not make you a girl. playing with toy cars does not make you a boy. children should not be subject to medical experimentation or have any childhood issues not be dealt with in favour of pushing drugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

FutureGuy wrote: »
    ...I fully agree with him on this but I’m sure he will now lose his current roles because he chose to speak his mind.

Thoughts, boardies?

His current role sounds like awful TV, maybe it'll be serendipitous for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Live and let live.

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Live and let live.

We get it. Womanising made you brilliant.

But anyway, nothing unreasonable was suggested by that Lopez guy (despite the implication in the above rather confrontation seeking and insults laden post, ironically calling others angry; Mario Lopez also has three children so he's brilliantly tit grabbing and non virginal).

It's specifically about labelling children as transgender also - not an attack on all transgender people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Caved by the bell.

Ah well, he has more than likely had threats to his career and fell into line.

This is happening to women all over the western world in all walks of life but most aren't as lily-livered as Mario.
    He said nothing outrageous, nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

I think what he said is perfectly sensible.

I also know no doctor out there is “transitioning” children and very few are working with young teenagers.

It’s very difficult to start the physical process of transitioning before the age of 16 in most countries.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think he’s tried to be considerate with what he said.

My problem, personally, isn’t with him but with the people who use what he said to dogwhistle. And low and behold the same people are popping up.

Faugheen wrote: »
    I think he’s tried to be considerate with what he said.

My problem, personally, isn’t with him but with the people who use what he said to dogwhistle. And low and behold the same people are popping up.

Who’s dog whistling what? I don’t get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

About 15-20 years ago Child "Psychologists" were given an abundance of airtime in the media. They promoted a softly-softly approach on kids and it gave birth to generation snowflake and/or Feral Kids ruining housing estates.

Now we have the birth of Generation Confused. Children who are actively being encouraged into being transgender or "non-binary".

Mario Lopez got support from the majority of people who voiced their opinion about his comments but the likes of Twitter put out messages such as "Mario Lopez faces backlash over comments" and then scoured their platform to try and find and highlight 5 or 6 people to criticize him. They then hid all of the agreement tweets in their story.

Yahoo then pushed a story with the headline "Mario Lopez: It's dangerous for parents to support transgender kids".

The digital media are the Enemy of the people. We cannot allow them to ruin another generation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The unstoppable eventuality of today's society...

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/31/entertainment/mario-lopez-apology-trnd/index.html

Either you apologize or your life collapses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The main thing is we get the actor who played a jock from a 30 year old childrens T.V. show to express his opinions on societal issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I agree with him and I can't blame him for saying sorry. He is a good spot in life. Can make money for old rope (who here wouldn't like some acting gig or presenting a show for great money.... beats a 9 to 5)

What I am surprised is that he said it in the first place. If you're famous keep your mouth shut. Keep your opinions to yourself. People are idiots anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He was spot on and had nothing to apologise for. Sadly, he'd never work again unless he came out with this act of contrition.

Deep down I hope people see the non-apology for what it is. He doesnt mean a word of it and its clearly only released for career reasons.

Are we losing steam in our trans discussions AH? 18 hours in and only 30 replies, most of them fairly measured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    Are we losing steam in our trans discussions AH? 18 hours in and only 30 replies, most of them fairly measured.
    Celeb say something, celeb gets slated on social media, celeb retracts. Is there something people have missed?

is_that_so wrote: »
    kikilarue2 wrote: »
    Celeb say something, celeb gets slated on social media, celeb retracts. Is there something people have missed?

Nope, there’s just usually 50 pages of extreme trans rights activism and extreme transphobia by now!

• Advertisement

Either you apologize or your life collapses.

I don't think it's quite that dramatic :) He's just trying to keep his job presenting Access Hollywood. He's happy to play the game I'd say. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Maybe i'm from a different generation but i can't get my head around this transgender thing at all especially kids,should these children not be out playing games etc what is putting these ideas in their heads? they should'nt even be thinking anything about their sex at that age, even adults why would you want to do this ,and what happens to them if they change their mind again, What is the world turning into.?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Agree 100% with what he is saying.
    My youngest is 5 years old, today he likes pasta,it'll be his favourite . . . tomorrow he's gonna hate it and think it's the worst thing he has ever eaten.

I can't understand how a parent could hear their child say I want to be a girl/boy and think ok, he/she knows their own minds they are 5-6 years old after all and then make huge life changing decisions on their behalf, ie bringing them up as the opposite sex.

Let kids be kids, the world will be hard enough for them when they do actually grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Ush1 wrote: »
    The main thing is we get the actor who played a jock from a 30 year old childrens T.V. show to express his opinions on societal issues.

If he was a mechanic 30 years ago, would that make his opinion more valid?
    How do we measure this?
    Do actors / TV presenters have less valid opinions than plumbers / teachers?
    Is he not part of the general society?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I don't think it's quite that dramatic :) He's just trying to keep his job presenting Access Hollywood. He's happy to play the game I'd say. haha

I think you underestimate the ferocity that these comments are met with. Hate campaigns start, e-mail bombardment of employers start, all with teh intention of ruining lives.

• Advertisement

I think you underestimate the ferocity that these comments are met with. Hate campaigns start, e-mail bombardment of employers start, all with teh intention of ruining lives.

Well not to go off topic but Graham Linehan has been very vocal about all this and I just seen him out having a nice lunch - I think Mario will be fine.

He could stick to his guns if he wanted but he wants the job in Access Hollywood. He knows what he is doing.
    You're post came across that we should be sympathetic to Mario - I wouldn't be - maybe I took you up wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Why were the tits dirty?

I have long been a fan of said delightful lady bumps and have noticed that most ladies keep them scrupulously clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

bunderoon wrote: »
    If he was a mechanic 30 years ago, would that make his opinion more valid? Probably not.
    How do we measure this? Measure what?
    Do actors / TV presenters have less valid opinions than plumbers / teachers? If the subject is plumbing or teaching, then I would say yes.
    Is he not part of the general society? Yes, so is everybody, do we pay attention to or care about every single persons opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's something I worry about as I read stories about schools virtue signalling over bathroom arrangements or school uniforms.

Most people on this site are probably 30s upwards and grew up in a more straightforward, copped on, and resilient time. A lot of the stuff that now trends on social media might have made the pages of The Sun or the National Enquirer and been dismissed accordingly.. But in the era of universal Internet access, social media means that every notion someone has can reach a global audience in hours as it's become a competition to have the next viral trending post :rolleyes:

Add to this 24 hour "news" channels and websites struggling to fill content and who regurgitate this stuff. It shows up on the BBC website and suddenly it's legitimate.

It's absolute nonsense, but while you and I can see it for what it is, I worry about young children like my 7 year old son who will be exposed to this sexualised virtue signalling crap by people they are supposed to respect (teachers) and at a time where they (rightly!) have no clue about what most of these concepts are, or the politics behind it.

It's wrong and it shouldn't be allowed. By all means should he and his classmates be told about how some people are or feel differently about things and that's OK and those people should never be attacked or hurt for that.... But that's very different to proactively pushing certain agendas on young children.

Oh and before some people start with the outrage, I don't care if I'm not "on message". My child's welfare comes first and he absolutely will be protected from this very disturbing trend of sexualising the classroom for social media point scoring.

Varik wrote: »
    You'd think people in general will realise that apologising does nothing. He was on with candace owens, that's enough by itself for these people.

Just once I wish somebody would refuse to apologise. Nothing is going to happen. Just wait 3 days for it all to blow over and these idiots will move on to the next thing.

Apologising is just feeding the flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's absolute nonsense, but while you and I can see it for what it is, I worry about young children like my 7 year old son who will be exposed to this sexualised virtue signalling crap by people they are supposed to respect (teachers) and at a time where they (rightly!) have no clue about what most of these concepts are, or the politics behind it.

Being transgender is nothing to do with sexual identity.

I never heard of Mario Lopez, had to google his name and it said that he is an American "tv personality" whatever that means. And he was in some MTV reality shows that I'd never watch.

klaaaz wrote: »
    Being transgender is nothing to do with sexual identity.

I never heard of Mario Lopez, had to google his name and it said that he is an American "tv personality" whatever that means. And he was in some MTV reality shows that I'd never watch.

You've never heard of Saved by the Bell? AC Slater!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

You've never heard of Saved by the Bell? AC Slater!

No, when was that out? Was it on Irish tv?

Just once I wish somebody would refuse to apologise. Nothing is going to happen. Just wait 3 days for it all to blow over and these idiots will move on to the next thing.

Apologising is just feeding the flames.

Worse than that, it validates them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

He is a conservative so of coarse he disagrees with trans gender, most conservatives would be of the school there are only two genders, a male is a male and a female is a female. I think leave the kids alone and lets not change society for a mere zero of a percent who feel they were born the wrong gender.

• Advertisement
Advertisement