Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid Terrace Vs End of Terrace

Options
  • 31-07-2019 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm planning to buy a mid terraced house in a new development. I'm getting some mixed reviews between the mid terraced and end of terrace house. Taking into consideration the building methods and regulations (if any in place) is still a mid terrace a wrong option...??? I would like to hear from peoples real experience their opinion on mid terrace properties. Further it is difficult to sell an mid terrace property...???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm planning to buy a mid terraced house in a new development. I'm getting some mixed reviews between the mid terraced and end of terrace house. Taking into consideration the building methods and regulations (if any in place) is still a mid terrace a wrong option...??? I would like to hear from peoples real experience their opinion on mid terrace properties. Further it is difficult to sell an mid terrace property...???

Building regulations are the same for mid terrace as they are for end of terrace. They still need to meet the same minimum requirements.

End of terrace would get my vote assuming you benefit from a wider front and rear garden and side entrance? You may also have a benefit of an additional window or 2 in the side cable wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

End off terrace beats mid terrace nearly every time. Having side access to your house, somewhere to put your bins etc can't be overlooked.
    You'll generally pay more for end of terrace though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Mid terrace has cheaper heating costs.

Marginally in my opinion and not enough to justify it over private side access over the life cycle of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I’d prefer end of terrace more for the ease of access for bins etc. However they are more expensive to buy but should keep the resale value. In addition having two houses on either side could be nosier.

However my cousin recently bought a new build end of terrace. Paid extra for it so she’s have the side access. Turns out at the end she didn’t have a side access but her neighbour in the next row to her owed the side access and she’d a right of way to use it. Seemed the builder ran out of room on site at the end and couldn’t accolade two side access for both houses. No comeback in the contract as it was a condition that boundaries aren’t final until the scheme map issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have a mid terrace which I rent out. Don’t think I ever slept there. To cut the grass, bring in the bikes or do the bins they must all go through the house. End if terrace doesn’t have that hassle or dirt. The neighbours on one side is loud I call her angry mum she just shouts, roars and sing Celine Dion. The other side is quiet. At least with an end if terrace you are guaranteed to have 1 quiet side

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not really. If the heating is off next door you are heating your neighbours house where as an external wall with have insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Given the choice, I'd buy end-of-terrace so I could play music not next to the neighbours wall.

Mr O'Bumble would buy mid-terrace for the security: he believes that end-of-terrace is more likely to get broken in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If your neighbors use their heating then maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's a new development.
    Heating costs won't really matter as much I reckon.
    End of terrace for me also for many reasons already mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If it's a new, private development then an end terrace is practically a semi-detached.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would prefer end of terrace for the extra space myself BUT an end of terrace house is more likely to be a congregating place for teenagers at night time in the summers. Not saying this happens in all estates, just that Ive seen it happen specifically with end of terrace houses.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Would prefer end of terrace for the extra space myself BUT an end of terrace house is more likely to be a congregating place for teenagers at night time in the summers. Not saying this happens in all estates, just that Ive seen it happen specifically with end of terrace houses.

Think that's the 'old style' of house, though. As a general rule of thumb, I find most new house estates rarely have a terrace of houses longer than 3 houses (2 semi d, and 1 mid-terrace in between them).

For teenagers, it's not so much the semi d, it's the corner house on the street that will get pestered. On a row of semi-d houses, its the ones at the extremes of either side that will likely see teens.

Most people have copped onto this, and you now see railings or hedging being planted fairly swiftly to prevent that carry on.

Dolbhad wrote: »
    I’d prefer end of terrace more for the ease of access for bins etc. However they are more expensive to buy but should keep the resale value. In addition having two houses on either side could be nosier.

However my cousin recently bought a new build end of terrace. Paid extra for it so she’s have the side access. Turns out at the end she didn’t have a side access but her neighbour in the next row to her owed the side access and she’d a right of way to use it. Seemed the builder ran out of room on site at the end and couldn’t accolade two side access for both houses. No comeback in the contract as it was a condition that boundaries aren’t final until the scheme map issues.

That would be a breach of the granted planning permission and therefore a reason to stop the sale. Your cousin was lying or didn’t pay attention to the site layout when purchasing.

Any half wit legal person would stop this sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I live in a mid-terrace (was what we could afford at the time) I am in a row of three houses with a semi-detached house on either side. I have access to my back garden down a path to the side of one of the semi d’s, I share this path with one other house, but then it branches into a ‘T’ and one end of the T junction is my private access, so I have put a gate at the end of the ‘T’ and that’s where I store my bins etc. I find our house stays very warm, even if the heat is off. During the big freeze of 2010, I was away for a week and didn’t have the heat on timer. The house was warm when we came home and we had no issues with freezing pipes etc. Maybe I have been lucky, but we have never had an issue with noise from neighbours in the 15 years we have lived there.

If the price is comparable, I would choose the end of terrace, but if there is a big saving and

a) There is side access to your back garden
    b) The houses are well built and sound proofed

Then I would have no issue buying a mid-terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

If you're sensitive to noise from your neighbours don't buy a mid-terrace, you'll probably be able to hear every cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Born and raised in a 50s build mid terrace. No noise complaints from us but then again, we were the young family surrounded by oldies so they might have differing opinions. I remember lugging bikes and the lawn mower though, the mother cursed the mess we'd leave in our wake.

We were very close to buying a mid terrace as it was particularly nice and within budget but glad to get a semi in the end.

EoT and semi are always going to be preferable for obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

kceire wrote: »
    That would be a breach of the granted planning permission and therefore a reason to stop the sale. Your cousin was lying or didn’t pay attention to the site layout when purchasing.

Any half wit legal person would stop this sale.

It actually wasn’t a breach of planning. Planning doesn't have to grant to two side access and two side gates. As long as there is access (which there was) the legals are fine. She had access but she didn’t own the site gate entrance but her neighbour did and she’s a right of way to access it. Her engineer and builders engineer all signed off on cert of compliance. In fairness her solicitor had flagged those conditions in contracts first day.

With new builds your site layout plan is just that - a layout of the potential site. But legally it’s not binding and it will say so in contracts. Boundaries are approved and signed off on when the scheme map issues for land registry and for a lot of new builds just not available when signing contracts but happens later on. That’s why it’s all a risk buying off plans

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

My sister lives in a mid terrace house she bought maybe 12 years ago. Neighbors on one side have 3 small kids, she hears everything ! She does shift work so often finds it difficult to sleep during the day. She did mention looking into sound proofing but I think there was no guarantee of 100% improvement ...
    The one benefit though is her house is super warm !

Noise shouldn't be a huge issue for anything built recently.

If it's a tiger build then all bets are off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If there is a 2 bed end of terrace or 3 bed mid terrace in the same area for the same price, the 3 bed has a much larger back garden for expansion.

Is it a no brainer here?

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    If there is a 2 bed end of terrace or 3 bed mid terrace in the same area for the same price, the 3 bed has a much larger back garden for expansion.

Is it a no brainer here?

In this scenario they must be completely different houses? The mid terrace house is wider than the end terraces?

I think in this scenario it's a different discussion, but I think the OP is talking about the more common scenario where terraced houses are all identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I live in a mid terrace. I got the cobble lock in the front garden so i dont have to drag the lawnmower through the house. It is a nuisence fot access for furniture, etc.

Theres no issue whatsoever with noise or insulation.

I am a woman living alone and I feel a bit more secure in the mid terrace so it suits me. Side access is a bigger security risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It depends on the the build quality of the house, the thickness of the walls, level of sound insulation .
    I live in the middle of a terrace , i have no issues, with loud noise.
    i just hear a noise if someone is using a drill or doing building work.
    many house built after the 90,s have mediocre ,low levels of sound insulation .
    I would go for the 3 bed house .if the cost of both house,s are similar.
    If you are worried about side acess you can put up a high fence or raise the wall .Mid terrace house should be cheaper when it comes to heating costs .
    look at the ber rating on both house,s .
    Ber is a rating for energy use in terms of insulation .

https://www.seai.ie/energy-ratings/building-energy-rating-ber/
    there,s no problem selling a mid terrace house,
    All new house,s have to be built to comply with 2019 building regulations, in terms of fire safety, minimum size for room,s etc
    The problem is in the boom after the 90,s many house,s were not inspected by the local authority , so some were not good in terms of sound insulation, and energy effeciency .

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

ncmc wrote: »
    I live in a mid-terrace (was what we could afford at the time) I am in a row of three houses with a semi-detached house on either side. I have access to my back garden down a path to the side of one of the semi d’s, I share this path with one other house, but then it branches into a ‘T’ and one end of the T junction is my private access, so I have put a gate at the end of the ‘T’ and that’s where I store my bins etc. I find our house stays very warm, even if the heat is off. During the big freeze of 2010, I was away for a week and didn’t have the heat on timer. The house was warm when we came home and we had no issues with freezing pipes etc. Maybe I have been lucky, but we have never had an issue with noise from neighbours in the 15 years we have lived there.

If the price is comparable, I would choose the end of terrace, but if there is a big saving and

a) There is side access to your back garden
    b) The houses are well built and sound proofed

Then I would have no issue buying a mid-terrace.
    If you are in a row of 3 houses how are the end of row houses semi detached? They are end of terrace surely? I live in an end of terrace myself and it is handy to have a side gate for access alright. Plus we have an extra window in the gable wall at the top of the stairs. Bad soundproofing in the house though. Built mid 90's!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If you are in a row of 3 houses how are the end of row houses semi detached? They are end of terrace surely? I live in an end of terrace myself and it is handy to have a side gate for access alright. Plus we have an extra window in the gable wall at the top of the stairs. Bad soundproofing in the house though. Built mid 90's!!

How is the sound proofing in houses built by the council in 1960s?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can put in extra sound proofing if you want to,
    so the end terrace house is semi d, eg there is a house on one side.
    The end terrace can be handy as regards parking a car, and you have more privacy, your garden will be only overlooked on one side .
    i would go for the house with the larger garden,if there is a significant difference
    in size, versus the garden of the house in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're sensitive to noise from your neighbours don't buy a mid-terrace, you'll probably be able to hear every cough.

A modern one anyway. My 70s nuclear bunker of a house transmits so little noise that it took two years before I realised my neighbours on one side had dogs.

What rooms back on to rooms in the other houses matters there too - their hallway and landing is unlikely to have much noise at night and that's what adjoins the main bedroom side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've recently bought a new mid-terrace. We really wanted an end-of-terrace or a semi-d, but the end of terrace houses available in our phase were smaller and €10k more than the mid-terrace, so we weighed up the pros and cons and asked around about the sound insulation etc. We were told it was very good, someone told us their next door neighbour had a newborn and she hadn't heard so much as a peep, so decided €10k less and a bigger house was a better fit for us. I'm still not sure where we will put the bins though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 georgedebel

I've recently bought a new mid-terrace. We really wanted an end-of-terrace or a semi-d, but the end of terrace houses available in our phase were smaller and €10k more than the mid-terrace, so we weighed up the pros and cons and asked around about the sound insulation etc. We were told it was very good, someone told us their next door neighbour had a newborn and she hadn't heard so much as a peep, so decided €10k less and a bigger house was a better fit for us. I'm still not sure where we will put the bins though!

Thanks everyone for the over whelming response... The cost parameter in mid terrace and end of terrace in this estate is 10K which will be re-payed to the bank as 15K in 25 years and boils down to 50 per month. When I looked into the plan it shows the wall width as 320mm and not sure about which construction method and whether this wall width will be maintained during construction phase. But I saw some regulation guidelines which outlines the width and insulation requirements from Government.

Advertisement