Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid Terrace Vs End of Terrace

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

I've recently bought a new mid-terrace. We really wanted an end-of-terrace or a semi-d, but the end of terrace houses available in our phase were smaller and €10k more than the mid-terrace, so we weighed up the pros and cons and asked around about the sound insulation etc. We were told it was very good, someone told us their next door neighbour had a newborn and she hadn't heard so much as a peep, so decided €10k less and a bigger house was a better fit for us. I'm still not sure where we will put the bins though!

Thanks everyone for the over whelming response... The cost parameter in mid terrace and end of terrace in this estate is 10K which will be re-payed to the bank as 15K in 25 years and boils down to 50 per month. When I looked into the plan it shows the wall width as 320mm and not sure about which construction method and whether this wall width will be maintained during construction phase. But I saw some regulation guidelines which outlines the width and insulation requirements from Government.
    What Energy rating will the house have? Also I paid the exact same as my neighbours for a new build end of terrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thanks everyone for the over whelming response... The cost parameter in mid terrace and end of terrace in this estate is 10K which will be re-payed to the bank as 15K in 25 years and boils down to 50 per month. When I looked into the plan it shows the wall width as 320mm and not sure about which construction method and whether this wall width will be maintained during construction phase. But I saw some regulation guidelines which outlines the width and insulation requirements from Government.

I would also look at the orientation of the house. I would pick a mid terrace with South Facing aspect over End Terrace with Northern aspect.

I had the choice of 3: mid terrace with South facing on road with another road facing you
    end terrace facing green, north facing garden
    mid terrace facing green, south facing garden a
    There was a price step of 7 k between them all, so I picked the south facing, with no one to the front even though it was 15k more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Is it a new build? Are there people already living in the estate? I found a Facebook group for the residents of my development and asked a few people there - could be worth a try if sound is your main concern!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The builder sets the price for the house,s ,
    my friend bought a corner house , semi d,
    new, her garden was twice the size of all the other house,s garden .
    She paid the same as everyone else in the row of house,s .
    this was about 12 years ago.

riclad wrote: »
    The builder sets the price for the house,s ,
    my friend bought a corner house , semi d,
    new, her garden was twice the size of all the other house,s garden .
    She paid the same as everyone else in the row of house,s .
    this was about 12 years ago.

I bought 10 years ago and all prices were different, depending on orientation, garden size etc.

I think most builders do that now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I bought a mid-terrace after living in an end-of terrace for years.

Its true the biggest downside is you have to bring the bins through from the back garden, or the lawn mower, but I don't really find it that big of a deal. I have a very long driveway and most of the neighbours here keep their bins out the front (I prefer not too). I also feel more secure in the mid terrace, though this may just be an illusion.

The end terrace I lived in had a very large side garden and the local teens used to gather to sit on my garden wall at night. I was tormented by smaller kids during the day kicking the ball over the side wall and climbing over the back wall into my garden.

I wouldn't be totally against end of terrace again, but I would be very careful about it. If the side access and gate is beside another house, (like semi-detatched) it may be fine, if it faces onto a corner, the road or a green in any way, I'd avoid.

You can raise the wall a few feet if you want to stop kids sitting on it.
    If i was buying a house now i would prefer to buy a mid terrace vs
    an end terrace one .
    Depends on where you buy ,not all end terrace house, s have a side entrance where you can bring out the bin or the lawn mower.
    An end terrace makes it slightly easier if you are parking a car .
    The walls on my street are 11 feet tall .
    Some end terrace house,s may have a larger garden than the other house,s .
    I never even thought about orientation when i was looking at buying a house .

I never even thought about orientation when i was looking at buying a house .

Having lived in both north facing and south facing, I would never buy a house with a north facing back garden. It was like the light was going over the house but never shining directly in.

its something you cant fix, no matter how much money you spend.

If you want to buy a house in a certain area,at a low price
    eg the city centre, you might not have much choice re orientation.
    i would assume most new build house,s have a south facing garden .
    if the garden is a small yard ,you wont be spending much time outside anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭Sarn

i would assume most new build house’s have a south facing garden.

Not likely, unless it’s an estate of one long row of houses. The houses directly across the road from those with a south facing garden, or right behind will have a north facing garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hollybeg

End of terrace all day long. As previous posters have mentioned simple tasks such as moving bins become dirty tasks in a mid terrace house. If the house is a new build, heating costs shouldn’t be a significantly major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If you want to buy a house in a certain area,at a low price
    eg the city centre, you might not have much choice re orientation.
    i would assume most new build house,s have a south facing garden .
    if the garden is a small yard ,you wont be spending much time outside anyway .

You would assume most new builds are south facing ? Why is that then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fungie

We were about to buy a new build end of terrace but found out it had no side entrance since there was a garage with access to the back. The garden was same size too. We ended up just buying the house next door (terraced) for 50k less as it's the same house type with back garden access via garage.

Depends where you live ,end of terrace is not so secure .If you have a low wall kids may start hanging around , and sit on the wall.
    Many new builds just have a low wooden fence ,easy for kids to jump over .You only take a bin out once a week.
    Its not a big issue .a Mid terrace house is more secure,
    if you are concerned about security .
    I,m not a builder ,i suppose it depends on the size of the site ,as to how a builder lays out the house,s .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Lived mid terrace for 10 years and last year moved to semi-d. Wouldn’t ever go back to having zero access to the side, it’s just so much easier to do things like bins, cut grass, get bikes through to back garden.

10k seems like a little amount especially when you spread it over the lifetime of a mortgage. If it’s a new build you won’t need to worry about heat, I’m in one and it’s literally shorts weather inside from April to October.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yep any a rated house makes a case of air con in ireland, its harder cool it down in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I have a mid terrace. I had the option for a end terrace for 10k more but the end terrace houses didn't come with side access to the back garden so didn't bother. The only benefit was not being connected to the neighbor on one side. And the bins in the estate are all already in front of the house in their own alcove so no dragging bins through.

Advertisement