Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Not much interest in it usually, in the UK and Ireland anyway. Obviously that's different this time out so absolutely someone will show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For some reason i'm thinking Eurosport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have a feeling our last one all those years ago was on BBC.

It'll be something mainstream enough anyway, just since it's Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1169718063031291905?s=19

Owen must be a multi millionaire, you'd wonder why he's bothering with this book

robwen wrote: »

Owen must be a multi millionaire, you'd wonder why he's bothering with this book

And why is he talking about things he wasn't even there for, and doesn't have any first hand information about? Just total bluffer speculation about what he thinks might have been going on at Liverpool with Stevie, 10 years after he left.

Surely he has enough in his own career to be talking about? Could write a few chapters on the bright idea to do that sales pamphlet that was made to market him! "Dynamic!", "Global!", "Charismatic!", "Good looking!", "Clean & Fresh!", "Aspirational!", "First Class!", "Devoted!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    And why is he talking about things he wasn't even there for, and doesn't have any first hand information about? Just total bluffer speculation about what he thinks might have been going on at Liverpool with Stevie, 10 years after he left.

Surely he has enough in his own career to be talking about? Could write a few chapters on the bright idea to do that sales pamphlet that was made to market him! "Dynamic!", "Global!", "Charismatic!", "Good looking!", "Clean & Fresh!", "Aspirational!", "First Class!", "Devoted!".

Ah the infamous brochure. I read it again last year and I instantly realised what it reminded me of:

He could’ve done with one of those instead, and he’d probably think it was a genuinely good idea too. :pac:

martyos121 wrote: »
    Ah the infamous brochure. I read it again last year and I instantly realised what it reminded me of:

He could’ve done with one of those instead, and he’d probably think it was a genuinely good idea too. :pac:

He did do this though...

(and a whole bunch more for the same people :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

some of these guys simply up their spending routine the more money they get. Jordan and Woods supposedly bet ferocious amounts, think Owen likes a flutter too. Maradona and Gaiscoigne pissed away fortunes, Beckham bought 1/2 of Miami.
    Tyson's excesses when he had money are legendary. Not everyone's as clever as Robbie Fowler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

He did do this though...

(and a whole bunch more for the same people :-/

Fúckin hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That poster has some fixation with the two of yous did ye piss in his cornflakes or something it beyond a difference of opinion he literately hates the two of you.

Yep, a strange one alright. Was supposed to be monitored to stop it clogging up the thread for everyone but here we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

This melt has always done my head in. Even when he was at his peak for Liverpool scoring for fun I always just felt that he wasn't a likeable person. Can you imagine Robbie Fowler ever saying "Steven Gerrard was bigger than the club"? Honestly, I've no idea if Owen's still an ambassador for Liverpool but any ties with him have hopefully been cut, he ruined any legacy he might have had long ago but this is desperate stuff. The club and any remaining fans that he had should distance themselves from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Does the Club World Cup get aired on any station here?

RTE showed it last year. I remember watching Real Madrid on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

It was the same with the Shearer row earlier this week. Owen was talking about a time before he joined Newcastle as though he had some unique insight.

I think it says a lot about Michael Owen that you can play for Liverpool, Newcastle, Man United and Real Madrid - four of the most passionate fan bases there is - and not be liked or revered by any of them by the time you retire.

It was the same with the Shearer row earlier this week. Owen was talking about a time before he joined Newcastle as though he had some unique insight.

I think it says a lot about Michael Owen that you can play for Liverpool, Newcastle, Man United and Real Madrid - four of the most passionate fan bases there is - and not be liked or revered by any of them by the time you retire.

Do this lot like anyone? Owen never was a fan favourite. He was liked and was a great player for us and am sure fans loved him but never got the feeling he was revered by the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Playing for England was more important than any of those clubs for him you always got that sense.

He was actually a brilliant striker in his Liverpool days though, he was so good at underage level he was over played and that extended into the Liverpool first team. By the time he left Liverpool he was absolutely burnt out, if we had took him back we would of gotten the newcastle version too.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't like him growing but I never ever took to him like Fowler or even Torres or Suarez. Joining Manchester United though tarnished everything he did in a Liverpool shirt for me, call me childish but that's how I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Is the evidence empirical enough yet that we're allowed call Michael Owen a complete and utter bellend?

No it's against the charter so don't. We probably shouldn't even think it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Knex taking one for the team

#selfless

I don't even think about Owen as a Liverpool player to be honest.

Knex. wrote: »
    Is the evidence empirical enough yet that we're allowed call Michael Owen a complete and utter bellend?

No, we need to wait for the MO video where he claims to be not just a good bellend, but a particularly great bellend.

Honestly it would not surprise me if Rodgers not the club wanted Gerard out two years earlier there was clearly a power struggle going on between them.

Gerard didn’t like or respect Rodgers which has come out over the years and Rodgers always felt like Gerard gad more influence with everything going on at the club than him as manager.

• Advertisement

Well the strange thing is that Rodgers accommodated Gerrard to a ludicrous degree by dropping him back to play as the pound shop Pirlo when an objective analysis would have shipped him out due to lack of mobility in that tactically very expansive set up. It would have be best for both to have parted ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't fully understand the argument anyway. They wanted to sell him in 2013? So what? If they had we wouldn't have finished 2nd in 2014 being with a chance of winning the league on the final day.

He was an important player that season so I think if they had wanted to sell him in 2013 they regretting thinking that in 2014.

The following season he was playing Champions League football with Markovic, Manquillo, Balotelli, Borini and Lambert. He was by no measure our worst player at the time either.

So what's the point? Regardless of what they wanted to do in 2013 it's better they didn't

8-10 wrote: »
    So what's the point? Regardless of what they wanted to do in 2013 it's better they didn't

Book sales it's all about book sales this week. Expect him to take apart Sir Alex in the next instalment to get a big boost over the weekend.

It would have be best for both to have parted ways.

Really? He got 13 goals in the league in 13/14, very dependable penalty taker. Yeah you wouldn't have had the slip against Chelsea but Henderson's absence was being felt at the end of the season which wasn't Gerrard's fault.

He was a good player that season. I don't think we'd have come as close without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Well the strange thing is that Rodgers accommodated Gerrard to a ludicrous degree by dropping him back to play as the pound shop Pirlo when an objective analysis would have shipped him out due to lack of mobility in that tactically very expansive set up. It would have be best for both to have parted ways.

Pound shop Pirlo.. did he not make PFA team of the season and score over 10 goals from that position? Honestly I can understand the bitterness towards Owen having played for United but some fans bitterness towards Gerrard in here is mind boggling at times.

10 of them were penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-investment-fan-experience-news-16876006

I've said it for years that if we could get a dollar off of all our fans worldwide we've have a billion dollars to spend on players every year.
    But seriously the potential to create revenue from out fan base is huge.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/liverpool-handed-71m-boost-transfer-16872781

Now up to 71m the figure we've made this window. If we don't sign Messi and Ronaldo in Jan I'll be furious.

4 winners that won four trophies from Owen.

nintchdbpict000002414208.jpg?strip=all&w=652&quality=100

• Advertisement

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler-statistik/wertvollstemannschaften/marktwertetop

4th most valuable team. A team full of superstars. Surprised City are first? Do they even have a 100m pound player? They really don't have any standout valuable players.
    Liverpool do
    VVD 100M
    Salah 150m
    Mane 100m
    Firmino 1 Billion Dollars
    Allison 90m
    Fabinho 90m

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/liverpool-handed-71m-boost-transfer-16872781

Now up to 71m the figure we've made this window. If we don't sign Messi and Ronaldo in Jan I'll be furious.

£70m of it saved on Sturridge's wages being taken off wage bill :pac::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler-statistik/wertvollstemannschaften/marktwertetop

4th most valuable team. A team full of superstars. Surprised City are first? Do they even have a 100m pound player? They really don't have any standout valuable players.
    Liverpool do
    VVD 100M
    Salah 150m
    Mane 100m
    Allison 90m
    Fabinho 90m

Sterling, KDB and Ederson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Liverpool do
    VVD 100M
    Salah 150m
    Mane 100m
    Allison 90m
    Fabinho 90m

PSG - same value as us - but 1/3 of it in two players.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Looking forward to our top six clash tomorrow.

aren't we still in the throes of International week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Harry Wilson won Player Of The Month at Bournemouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

This thread should be renamed the LFC Game of Thrones thread as there as so many factions who seem to attack the others of differing opinions yesterday it was Matip today it is Owen and Gerrard and it is a fight to the righteous death about whos opinion is a fact when in fact its just opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

This thread should be renamed the LFC Game of Thrones thread as there as so many factions who seem to attack the others of differing opinions yesterday it was Matip today it is Owen and Gerrard and it is a fight to the righteous death about whos opinion is a fact when in fact its just opinions.

That's been this thread forever though. I remember nearly getting lynched on here for saying Joe Allen was s**t :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

In 13/14

Gerrard
    34 Apps - 13 goals (10 penalties) - 10 assists

Pirlo
    30 Apps - 4 goals (not sure if any penalties) - 7 assists

Both around the same age playing the same position. And that was Gerrard’s only season playing that role, where as Pirlo had played it for years. I’m not saying Pirlo wasn’t a great player but saying Gerrard (who completely adapted his game) was a pound shop version of Pirlo in that position is just uncalled for.

It's when the opinion is stated as a fact things tend to kick off. More often than not it's just the expression of a difference of an opinion rather than an attack but then it's often how the written word comes across. If the next person who thinks Matip is better than VVD posts their number I'll call them and explain why they're wrong, nicely.

Owen's not likeable still an opinion although it feels kinda factual.

• Advertisement

Owen has always been pretty open that football was just a job to him.

For his time at Liverpool he was the best in the world at that job of scoring goals until injuries hit.

You can’t win in this thread no matter what you post.

I used to IMO at the end of posts then I was being accused of winding up other posters.

Now I just put down what I think and if others take that as fact that is on them.

It has been obvious on this thread for a number of years now a number of posters want to disrupt the thread and will find anyway to do it if that means taking opinions of others as fact so be I don’t engage and will continue not to.

That’s my take on the thread for the new posters since the start of the season I won’t be commenting on it again.

Apologies AC I wasn't intentionally shining a spotlight on you. Matip > VVD is not an opinion I can support in any capacity. I was more commenting on something someone said a few post earlier, which I've already forgotten. Stuffy office, end of the week and I'm just posting nonsense. All my quality stuff comes midweek.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Apologies AC I wasn't intentionally shining a spotlight on you. Matip > VVD is not an opinion I can support in any capacity. I was more commenting on something someone said a few post earlier, which I've already forgotten. Stuffy office, end of the week and I'm just posting nonsense. All my quality stuff comes midweek.

It’s the Nonsense makes this thread worthwhile ;)

I don’t think Matip is a better defender than VVD IMO Matip was the consistently better defender over the latter half of last season IMO VVD had more off games in that time than he did in the first half of the season and Matip stepped in to cover those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think Gerrard was inarguably effective in 2013 / 14. Probably his best year between 2008 / 9 and the end of his career. How he was handled in the summer of 2014 was just one of many terrible things that occurred. Probably the worst transfer window we ever had (and we’ve certainly had a few).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Liverpool do
    VVD 100M
    Salah 150m
    Mane 100m
    Allison 90m
    Fabinho 90m

One-hundred-Billion.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Damn international football is a nightmare

RTE show the World Club Cup for the past few seasons. British TV only seem to pick it up if an English team is in the finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Probably the worst transfer window we ever had (and we’ve certainly had a few).

God that's depressing

transfers.png

Why do people always dismiss penalties? Some of them were pretty important too, they have to be scored, they're not a complete gimmie.

The only one I remember him missing that season was v United at Old Trafford. And he'd already scored 2 penalties in that game by then (should have had a 4th for a foul on Sturridge by...I think Carrick but Clattenberg bottled it)

He also scored 2 in a game v West Ham when we won 2-1. A 90th minute winner at Fulham for 3-2. And scored a penalty in games against Newcastle and Aston Villa both of which were 2-2 draws so they definitely counted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement