Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

8-10 wrote: »
    (should have had a 4th for a foul on Sturridge by...I think Carrick but Clattenberg bottled it)

In fairness the third penalty was given for this (and Vidic was sent off) so you can forgive the ref for not giving the next one.

giphy.gif

Penaltypool and all that sure :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

8-10 wrote: »
    Why do people always dismiss penalties?

It's probably because we're so conditioned to argue they shouldn't count for Pogba. You're right though his penalties that year were an important aspect of the title tilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Luis would have taken them and had a 40 goal season and gotten a hattrick in that Man U game.

Suarez scored 31 and got 19 assists that season.

Crazy to think that Salah blew that out of the water in 17/18 with 44 goals and 16 assists I know Salah had European football that season something Suarez didn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Imagine if Suarez had Firmino and Mane playing along side him rather than Sterling and Sturridge.

transfers.png

Did Firmino not sign in that window too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

You can’t win in this thread no matter what you post.

I used to IMO at the end of posts then I was being accused of winding up other posters.

Now I just put down what I think and if others take that as fact that is on them.

It has been obvious on this thread for a number of years now a number of posters want to disrupt the thread and will find anyway to do it if that means taking opinions of others as fact so be I don’t engage and will continue not to.

That’s my take on the thread for the new posters since the start of the season I won’t be commenting on it again.

Amazing how I knew who thanked your post before I checked... Shocker

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Imagine if Suarez had Firmino and Mane playing along side him rather than Sterling and Sturridge.

transfers.png

Did Firmino not sign in that window too?

No the following summer when Rodgers only agreed to sign him if he got Benteke as Rodgers didn't like Michael Edwards or his choice of footballers.

No the following summer when Rodgers only agreed to sign him if he got Benteke as Rodgers didn't like Michael Edwards or his choice of footballers.

Was it Edwards that pushed Rodgers into signing Mario even though Brendan said Liverpool wouldn't be signing him.

Was it Edwards that pushed Rodgers into signing Mario even though Brendan said Liverpool wouldn't be signing him.

No Rodgers signed Mario according to Gerrard...
    When Brendan Rodgers told Steven Gerrard he was going to sign Mario Balotelli, the Liverpool legend's response was as brief as it was telling.

He said: "In my last season, Brendan Rodgers came to me at Melwood one day in mid-August. We had a chat on the training pitch. He said, ‘You know we’ve missed out on a couple of signings. I’m basically left with no option but to have a bit of a gamble.’

"Brendan paused before he spoke again: ‘The gamble is Mario Balotelli.’ My instant reaction was, ‘Uh-oh.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/what-steven-gerrard-said-brendan-13593711

From what I remember from that deal was that Rodgers was forced into either taking Mario or nothing.

• Advertisement

Rodgers tried to swap Henderson for Clint Dempsey as well.

Rodgers was the king of spin for his own good.

The Liverpool transfer committee was a laughing stock because of Rodgers comments.

Well turns out the transfer committee was right on 90% of it's targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nothing would have been as effective.

The TC only fecked up truely twice I think - Moreno and Markovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

From what I remember from that deal was that Rodgers was forced into either taking Mario or nothing.

Yeah that's what I recall. Rodgers probably just had the confidence to believe he could utilise him which is what I'd expect.

The Benteke/Firmino dual signing made absolutely no sense, they didn't even slightly fit together on the same team.

And the summer Suarez left I remember not even being too worried about only signing Lambert and Balotelli to replace him because I figured Sturridge would make the next step up and lead our front line, but he spent most of that season injured.

The Benteke/Firmino dual signing made absolutely no sense, they didn't even slightly fit together on the same team.

And the summer Suarez left I remember not even being too worried about only signing Lambert and Balotelli to replace him because I figured Sturridge would make the next step up and lead our front line, but he spent most of that season injured.

The next 5 seasons more like.

He played in 5558 minutes for the club over those 5 seasons which equates to 61.75 games.

According to the post by Toby this morning he was on £150k a week for those five years that equals £39m for 62 games of football that is a bigger waste of money than Moreno and Markovic..

Has there been a more unplayed player in Liverpool's history?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

In his defence he was world class in those games he didn’t play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Wow 39 million for 5 years even after 45% tax that is still 21.5 million Daniel got wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Luis would have taken them and had a 40 goal season and gotten a hattrick in that Man U game.

Suarez scored 31 and got 19 assists that season.

Crazy to think that Salah blew that out of the water in 17/18 with 44 goals and 16 assists I know Salah had European football that season something Suarez didn't have.
    Ya suarez only played 31or 32 league games aswell in a fairly rubbish team let's be honest, some player be a while before we have a no.7 like him again

Origi, Robbo, Lovren, Gini & VVD all starting tonight.

Brazil play later.

be a while before we have a no.7 like him again

Mbappé

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We've talked about it before here, but Gnabry would be a great option for the front 3. Fast, bit of skill, presses high, great finisher. His international record especially is just unreal, almost a goal a game. Think it's 8 in 9 right now.

Kelleher playing for the under 21's live on Eir sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    We've talked about it before here, but Gnabry would be a great option for the front 3. Fast, bit of skill, presses high, great finisher. His international record especially is just unreal, almost a goal a game. Think it's 8 in 9 right now.

He played very well against Robertson last year, not many players play against Robbo and do well. Aside from that i have'nt seen him play much but would imagine he would be in the 70m+ category.
    Little chance of it happening but would love us to have a go at getting Sane from city.

Some phenomenal football there from Gini to set up Mallen to put the Dutch 3-2 up.

That Mallen chap also looks an interesting one to keep an eye on. Know nothing about him, but him being the one they throw on means he must be doing something right in the Eredivisie. Has looked very good since he came on.

Crazy to think Gini is still underrated by some Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Gini just got a great assist to put the Dutch back in the lead 3-2 against Germany, after they leveled with a ridiculous penalty for handball - the new ruling on any contact in the box has to be looked at. Ball literally came down from behind the player when he thought it had been put out and could not have done anything to avoid it brushing of his chest/shoulder and onto his hand. Mad stuff but Gini's touch was brilliant.

Gini is only alright tbh

Stunning counter attack finish by Gini

And Gini just got the 4th with a brilliant goal. Serious player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Only alright Gini.

• Advertisement

Lovren got the 4th for Croatia in a 0 -4 win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

He rarely plays likes this for us though, esp away from home. He was great tonight, esp at the end to have the energy to sprint forward.

Lovrens great now too

He rarely plays likes this for us though, esp away from home. He was great tonight, esp at the end to have the energy to sprint forward.

I think that's by tactical design rather than being down to him though.

Our midfield's job is to break everything down, harry, and play the ball through the lines quickly to the front 3 since they give us the best odds for scoring.

But every so often you see the roles shift, like when our front 3 was makeshift against Barca, and Gini is given the responsibility for attacking into the box from midfield, and gets 2.

I don't think there's any doubt that Gini can do this stuff for us in the league (I mean, he got into double figures for a rubbish Newcastle), the question is just if you lose something in the front 3 by playing to get the best out of Gini on the attack... and judging by the solidity we maintained in midfield, while still scoring tonnes, can totally understand Klopp's point of view. Always nice to know Gini is a legit option though.

2 goals and 2 assists for him in the Dutch's 3 qualifying games so far now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Gini is only alright tbh

Gini is the man for a big game. His energy and close control is fantastic. Not flashy enough for some but is a vital part of our midfield most weeks.

He also has the best chant, even better than Bobbys imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Gini was excellent in the 2nd half there for Holland to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I think that's by design rather than being down to him though.
    Oh I agree. I think our mid has a specific job, and Klopp dictates that. Gini often goes missing in games, but his stats probably shows that he’s covered huge ground and tactically was in the right position.
    He’s rarely played the 6 role for us though, so his goal/assist return hasn’t been great.

Time to play Gini as an 8.5.

Degsy goal:

giphy.gif

Gini goal and assist:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

And yeah he's clearly playing a different position here than he does for us, look how far forward he is here in the 90th minute of the game:

gini.png

Good to see Harry Wilson started for Wales too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think that's by tactical design rather than being down to him though.

Our midfield's job is to break everything down, harry, and play the ball through the lines quickly to the front 3 since they give us the best odds for scoring.

But every so often you see the roles shift, like when our front 3 was makeshift against Barca, and Gini is given the responsibility for attacking into the box from midfield, and gets 2.

I don't think there's any doubt that Gini can do this stuff for us in the league (I mean, he got into double figures for a rubbish Newcastle), the question is just if you lose something in the front 3 by playing to get the best out of Gini on the attack... and judging by the solidity we maintained in midfield, while still scoring tonnes, can totally understand Klopp's point of view. Always nice to know Gini is a legit option though.

2 goals and 2 assists for him in the Dutch's 3 qualifying games so far now.

'Most knowledgeable fans in football'. My arse. The thing that goes over most people's heads and that of a few too many Reds, is that Gini, Henderson, Milner, Fabinho et al have been our midfield choice for a team who finished on 97 points, lost one PL game all season, have the only 100% record in England and recently won their 6th CL title. Not sexy, not flash, no De Bruyne, and yet such success. Yeah, they're all **** aren't they?

Genuinely, ask yourself if you doubt our midfield - how could we possibly improve our system and the results it gets us as it stands? Remarkable levels of ignorance.

Ginis more secluded role for us is by design in fairness, it often seems the game is passing him by, our midfielders are generally feeders for our full backs and Bobby really, not eye catching but it works I guess and we (me included) shouldn't knock them for that just because they aren't swashbuckling midfielders, they have a job to do and they do it well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That Suarez 2013/2014 is the best season a Liverpool has ever had in the PL era and in my mind as good a season as any player has ever had. The argument against it will be but what did he win however he carried an average team to a place they should never have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

That Suarez 2013/2014 is the best season a Liverpool has ever had in the PL era and in my mind as good a season as any player has ever had. The argument against it will be but what did he win however he carried an average team to a place they should never have been.

I’m in complete agreement with this.

I’ve seen lads blowing their beans over Firmino over the last week or 2 and saying he is greater than Suarez 13/14.

Absolute bollix! Suarez was the greatest single season ever bar none. His influence on the team can’t be measured. What did he win, the very next season he went to Barca & won the Treble. You can argue they had the best player in the world & world class players but so is the current Liverpool team Firmino is playing in. VVD could be crowned best player in the world too.

So while Firmino is a great player he is not near the levels of Suarez at that time.

Chesty08 wrote: »
    I’m in complete agreement with this.

I’ve seen lads blowing their beans over Firmino over the last week or 2 and saying he is greater than Suarez 13/14.

Absolute bollix! Suarez was the greatest single season ever bar none. His influence on the team can’t be measured. What did he win, the very next season he went to Barca & won the Treble. You can argue they had the best player in the world & world class players but so is the current Liverpool team Firmino is playing in. VVD could be crowned best player in the world too.

So while Firmino is a great player who is not near the levels of Suarez at that time.
    What, on here? Can't say i've ever seen anything even remotely like that... the only viable Suarez 13/14 comparison is Salah the year before last... a player playing at the absolute peak of his ability where absolutely everything he did worked, and drove us to top 4 and a champions league final. Suarez 13/14 just pipped it though, for the intangibles. The aggression and impetus and single minded domination he brought into games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

What, on here? Can't say i've ever seen anything even remotely like that... the only viable Suarez 13/14 comparison is Salah the year before last... a player playing at the absolute peak of his ability where absolutely everything he did worked, and drove us to top 4 and a champions league final. Suarez 13/14 just pipped it though, for the intangibles. The aggression and impetus and single minded domination he brought into games.

Can’t say I’ve seen on here but Liverpool fans I’ve talked to in general & that bloody Twitter where there is some ****e spouted!

• Advertisement

I can't echo enough to whats already been said but our midfield 3 regardless who it is are playing to the system to which what Klopp wants and that is to protect our two CBs because our Full backs are like wingers.

Who needs a creative midfield when you have Full backs like TAA and Robo.

Christ I hate international breaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Some people think the world is flat. Some people think aliens are probing them nightly. Some people think beating people with jumper cables is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Some people think the world is flat. Some people think aliens are probing them nightly. Some people think beating people with jumper cables is OK.

Eh...what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Messi on a free next summer, the inactivity in this summers market makes sense now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement