Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Owl. wrote: »
    [/B]

Eh...what?

It’s a thing from reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

brevity wrote: »
    It’s a thing from reddit

Oh right. Thanks. I don't spend much time on Reddit...I believe it's a great site though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopp is using him all wrong I tell ya! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Christ I hate international breaks

Im not minding this one so far, its far easier when your team goes into them top of the table. Nothing worse than a loss or a draw before an international break cos you've to wait 10 days for a chance to put it right.

Would be more worried about our fixture pile up in December and that we always seem to have a mid season slump in January

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

I love Gini but he's probably the most disposable of our strongest midfield trio Fabinho-Henderson-Wijnaldum. I can see Keita gradually taking his place over the next season or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I love Gini but he's probably the most disposable of our strongest midfield trio Fabinho-Henderson-Wijnaldum. I can see Keita gradually taking his place over the next season or two.

Gini would be ok with that because he knows he'll get his place back after a couple of games when Keita crocks himself again for another few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Considering

Wijnaldum started 32 league games last year and 11 champions league matches. He only came off bench four times, 3 times in league and once in CL. He has started every league game so far this season.

Henderson started 21 league games, 11 substitute appearances. 8 CL starts and 3 subs. He has started 3 of 4 league games so far this season

Wijnaldum is a better player than Henderson for me and shown far more than Keita. As someone said he is a big game player. The only criticism I would have is that he should be scoring more goals at Liverpool, 13 in 145 games for a guy of his talent isn't great but most of those have been key goals so it kind of evens out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Our midfielders are all team players that sacrifice themselves for the good of the team. They understand and accept what their role is in what Klopp wants them to do and carry out the job to great effect. People underrate how good some of our midfielders are because the midfielders in klopps system isn't a glamorous role . However its a vital role and the likes of wijnaldum and henderson are very important to making the whole thing work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

You're being very generous there with two seasons for Keita to make his mark. Giní deserves all the plaudits he's getting and I say that as a one time non believer in him.

Keita will be doing well to manage a season of being on the bench fit to be called upon, nevermind replacing an ever dependable in the starting XI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Can't agree with this. His ability to retain possession when under even extreme pressure from the opposition is invaluable to the team.

To be honest I see Keita more as back up to the front 3 than midfield if he can stay fit.

Chamberlain is the one I'd fancy to possibly take a spot in midfield if he can stay fit.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Considering

Wijnaldum started 32 league games last year and 11 champions league matches. He only came off bench four times, 3 times in league and once in CL. He has started every league game so far this season.

Henderson started 21 league games, 11 substitute appearances. 8 CL starts and 3 subs. He has started 3 of 4 league games so far this season

Wijnaldum is a better player than Henderson for me and shown far more than Keita. As someone said he is a big game player. The only criticism I would have is that he should be scoring more goals at Liverpool, 13 in 145 games for a guy of his talent isn't great but most of those have been key goals so it kind of evens out

That's fair enough but Henderson was injured for a bit last season plus he was revitalised in that role playing further upfield. As well as Wijnaldum played last season, there's no doubt that Henderson ended the season and has started the new season stronger than Gini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

the sooner liverpool have a game the better, it's like a lucky bag in here

I'd say the game time will be split fairly evenly between the midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

6 wrote: »
    I'd say the game time will be split fairly evenly between the midfielders.

Yeah, in a perfect world were there are no injuries or suspensions. It would great to have Keita and Ox pressing for places. Fact is, we need decent cover and I feel we have. I'm not as knowledgeable as some posters on here, so I am open to correction.

Naby Keita is listed as returning on the 14th, really hope he stays injury free this time as he has had rotten luck since joining us. If he can get back to his RB Leipzig form before signing we'd have a serious midfielder on our hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bobby played 80 odd minutes and Fab was an unused sub last night.

Just the English guys left to play now.

If Bobby and Fab play Thursday morning I’d doubt they will start the 12:30 game on Saturday.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Naby Keita is listed as returning on the 14th, really hope he stays injury free this time as he has had rotten luck since joining us. If he can get back to his RB Leipzig form before signing we'd have a serious midfielder on our hands.

As I said earlier forget about him making any big shakes this season. He's had such a mare since joining us that he just needs to find consistent fitness and a place on the bench that we can call upon him. That's it.

People need to forget about what he did at Leipzig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

If Bobby and Fab play Thursday morning I’d doubt they will start the 12:30 game on Saturday.

Henderson only one starting for England. Trippier starts at RB ahead of TAA.

As I said earlier forget about him making any big shakes this season. He's had such a mare since joining us that he just needs to find consistent fitness and a place on the bench that we can call upon him. That's it.

People need to forget about what he did at Leipzig.

If he can finally stay injury free he could yet be a very important player this season, we don't get many goals from midfield so if we got him firing it would add a new dimension and option to our game. We've seen flashes of brilliance from him but then he's out again with another injury and takes time to get back up to speed.

What he did at Leipzig is why we bought him and it was why Klopp waited an entire season for him to arrive at Anfield. Its clear Klopp highly rates him but the lad has just had a rotten streak of luck with injuries. Its getting frustrating at this stage so Im really hoping he has a good run of playing time when he gets back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yeah, in a perfect world were there are no injuries or suspensions. It would great to have Keita and Ox pressing for places. Fact is, we need decent cover and I feel we have. I'm not as knowledgeable as some posters on here, so I am open to correction.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe run that incoherent nonsense through grammarly again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

8-10 wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe run that incoherent nonsense through grammarly again?

I think our midfield is good and can only get better when people get back from injury. Also that if Ox can regain form and Keita realise his potential, our midfield could be as strong as our rivels.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That Peru game is Wednesday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Owl. wrote: »
    [/B]

Eh...what?

if its not quoted, its not real

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If he can finally stay injury free he could yet be a very important player this season, we don't get many goals from midfield so if we got him firing it would add a new dimension and option to our game. We've seen flashes of brilliance from him but then he's out again with another injury and takes time to get back up to speed.

What he did at Leipzig is why we bought him and it was why Klopp waited an entire season for him to arrive at Anfield. Its clear Klopp highly rates him but the lad has just had a rotten streak of luck with injuries. Its getting frustrating at this stage so Im really hoping he has a good run of playing time when he gets back.

When he got injured in the Barca game you could argue he was at the time our most in form player, think he started 4 or 5 games prior to that and he looked classy in all of them, he's shown enough in his limited game time for me to be excited what he'll bring to the team if this injury streak quits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Naby's shown a tonne of quality while on the pitch and I want him to succeed more than pretty much anyone else but his fitness is a concern.

He rushed back from an injury to play in the AFCON, hard to really blame him for it considering he had the opportunity to captain his side and this tournament clearly means a lot, Mane even said he'd trade his Champions League medal for an AFCON one, but it certainly didn't help his fitness.

Our midfield is in such a good position right now that we really don't have to worry about getting him back on the pitch soon, so as much as I want to see him playing again more than anything I just hope we let him fully recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Peatys wrote: »
    if its not quoted, its not real

Is this the ignore feature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Mirror is reporting that VVD agreed a new 6 year deal taking his contract to 2025 and wage bump from £125k to about £200k a week when bonuses kick in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That's a major signing. His value now must be 150m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm very concerned all these performance bonuses are really going to cost us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

gimli2112 wrote: »

Hopefully they do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

That's the plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Great news on vvd new deal. The transformation of this club from also rans to now European elite level is fantastic. We are now seen as a destination and not a stepping stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

ricero wrote: »
    Great news on vvd new deal. The transformation of this club from also rans to now European elite level is fantastic. We are now seen as a destination and not a stepping stone.

FSG IN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Mirror is reporting that VVD agreed a new 6 year deal taking his contract to 2025 and wage bump from £125k to about £200k a week when bonuses kick in.

I'm very surprised he was only on 125k after we paid £75m for him. What a bargain that was for the last 18 months.

Think how bad it would be if they dont! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

mosstin wrote: »
    FSG IN!

They have done a fantastic job since Klopp has come in. Perhaps they finally found a manager they could trust and give some leeway to.

Onwards and upwards.

FSG have been fantastic, dream owners tbh.

Klopp same as manager. Couldn't have picked a better manager for the club.

Has anyone ever done an away day sitting with the home fans?

My mate (United fan) has sourced 3 tickets for the United-Liverpool game on the 20th of October and I'll be going with 2 United fans, sitting in the home end. Now obviously I know not to be decked out in full kit but how hostile are home fans towards opposition fans in England nowadays or is it best if mouth is kept totally shut?

• Advertisement

you'll be grand as long as we don't score a last gasp winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was at a game in Highbury in 2001, sat up high behind the goal at the Arsenal end (couldn't have been further from the Liverpool fans).

Game finished 1-1 (Pires scored for them, Riise for us), When Riise scored the equaliser I couldn't help myself and jumped out of my seat shouting some profanities while punching the air. I got a few dodgy looks from folks around me, but that was it. Didn't wear a Liverpool jersey though, settled for an Ireland jersey to not provoke any ire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

My mate (United fan) has sourced 3 tickets for the United-Liverpool game on the 20th of October and I'll be going with 2 United fans, sitting in the home end. Now obviously I know not to be decked out in full kit but how hostile are home fans towards opposition fans in England nowadays or is it best if mouth is kept totally shut?

I've sat with the Palace fans a few times. Usually a decent lot but there's always a prick in every crowd.

First time, there was about 10 of us there, including an 8/9 year old. We went ahead, kid cheers and some prick ahead of us starts giving out saying he shouldn't be there - a few Palace fans told him to cop on. Game ended 3-1 to Palace so not the best day...

Second time, Pool won with a last minute penalty. Palace fans furious and storm out bar a few around us who, it turned out, were also Liverpool fans.

I've not seen any real aggro over it but, of course, Palace v Liverpool wouldn't be quite of the same level as United v Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I have seen liverpool fans get a kicking in the home end of the etihad for doing just that.

My mates are liverpool fans and we tend to do city every year in the city end and they have to be on best behavior, no flinching for goals as its just not worth it based on what we have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Following on from that though, last season's remarkable run in the Premier League and victorious European campaign featured 26 clean sheets in the games Van Dijk played in, including the Champions League final in Madrid.

It is claimed that earned him a stunning £750,000 bonus, with the target for that total set at 22 matches.

saw that on the Mirror.

Now we know why VVD loves clean sheets :pac:

It shows the faith he has in himself. Liverpool keeping 23 clean sheets pre-VVD is la-la land

https://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/liverpool-fc-news-coverage/2019/9/8/20855240/gini-wijnaldum-says-winning-champions-league-has-given-liverpool-peace-of-mind-premier-league-epl

“With the manager, it is more or less hate and love. I am sure he has the best ­interests at heart with every player in the squad. But ­sometimes you are so involved in a match and the manager is still chasing you.
    “Then you just boil over sometimes – and, in my case, I do get angry with him. I still don’t know if what happened against ­Barcelona was his real plan.
    “But that night I was so angry and so disappointed that he did not start me.''

Gini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I couldn't sit amongst away fans myself, the whole thing for me going to games is that your amount your own and can celebrate with them, that's just me though

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/alex-oxlade-chamberlain-gets-squad-16866927

"Alex asked why Josh was crying, but he was too upset to speak.

"So he took the ball and we passed him a pen and he disappeared onto the coach.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liverpool Echo denying that van Dijk is about to sign a new contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement