Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Who is the new Pearce at the Echo?

Pearce seemed to be the only reporter at the Echo with some connections to get the ITK stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Paul Gorst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has anyone ever done an away day sitting with the home fans?

My mate (United fan) has sourced 3 tickets for the United-Liverpool game on the 20th of October and I'll be going with 2 United fans, sitting in the home end. Now obviously I know not to be decked out in full kit but how hostile are home fans towards opposition fans in England nowadays or is it best if mouth is kept totally shut?

Full kit wanker is the only way to go and buy a half and half scarf too just to complete the look :D

I go to the Spurs game most seasons. Used to be in with the hardcore on the terraces but am in the main stand these days as my mate has mellowed somewhat. On the terraces you just cant react to a goal or open your mouth in support, other than that you'll be fine. Not sure if Im going to the January game v. Spurs yet but if I am it is going to be very difficult not to sing along to the Bobby song, its so bloody catchy and has been stuck in my head for months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Is there any other sport where fans are separated?

My mate (United fan) has sourced 3 tickets for the United-Liverpool game on the 20th of October and I'll be going with 2 United fans, sitting in the home end. Now obviously I know not to be decked out in full kit but how hostile are home fans towards opposition fans in England nowadays or is it best if mouth is kept totally shut?

I wouldn’t bother.

How will you react if Liverpool score? I know I wouldn't be able to contain myself and would probably get a slap because of it!

I've been gone it before at Spurs and it's not enjoyable faking it!

I'd sooner watch it in the pub.

• Advertisement

Peatys wrote: »
    Is there any other sport where fans are separated?

Maybe not enough. Adds to the atmosphere imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

6 wrote: »
    Maybe not enough. Adds to the atmosphere imo.

Ya really gets an us vs them mentality going, dubs in the hill can really get a chant going for e.g, great craic really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I was in with the Arsenal fans in the Emirates last season. No aggro there but I wasn't very vocal. .

Was in with the Madrid fans in the Bernabau in 2015 and was pretty vocal but the home fans didn't mind. They joined in with a standing ovation with Gerrard came on and applauded YNWA at the end. There was a lot of Liverpool fans in the home section that night.

Would be very risky in Old Trafford IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I was at the Barcelona semi final last season that we lost 3-0, in with the Barcelona fans. Honestly the majority of them there are tourists themselves, lads beside me were Palace fans from London. I was in the next section to the Liverpool fans and missed the very end of the game as they threw a flare into the section and seemed like it would kick off. Home fans much nicer than the travelling Liverpool fans!

Have also been to Stoke away at the boothen end which was tough when we scored and won (was opening game of the season), but felt grand as long as I kept my mouth shut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Was in the Newcastle end before was not bad but would never do it in Old Trafford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

FitzShane wrote: »
    I was in with the Arsenal fans in the Emirates last season. No aggro there but I wasn't very vocal. .

Was in with the Madrid fans in the Bernabau in 2015 and was pretty vocal but the home fans didn't mind. They joined in with a standing ovation with Gerrard came on and applauded YNWA at the end. There was a lot of Liverpool fans in the home section that night.

Would be very risky in Old Trafford IMO.

They probably didn't mind cos we were **** that night.

Only away terrace Ive ever felt uncomfortable in was the Curva Nord watching Inter Milan. Skinheads with swastika and SS tattoos all around. Was down near the front and the head ultras who lead the chants were eyeballing me in a 'you're not from round here' kind of way. So I discreetly moved about 30 rows back at half time and hightailed it on the 85th minute of a dour 0-0 draw. Its the only time Ive ever left a game early.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Went to Sunderland about 10-15 years ago, away end, won 3-0 I think, didn't act the fool, had a great day. Several others around me were clearly pool fans but they also used their common sense and everything was fine. Loftus road was a grand spot too.
    Was away at Spurs and really felt the need to keep the head.

I was in with Man United fans when Mascherano got sent off at Old Trafford. One or two tried to get me kicked out but everyone else said I was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

I was in with the Man Utd fans at the 2001 Charity Shield in the Millennium Stadium. It was grand. My friend, who is from Manchester, thought it would be funny to point out to everyone that I was a Liverpool fan. I was ****ting it but they were all sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I made a schoolboy error and went to do some grocery shopping in Aldi but i brought a lidl bag.

I've never felt so uneasy because of the looks i was getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Ya really gets an us vs them mentality going, dubs in the hill can really get a chant going for e.g, great craic really

Hill 16 isn't Dublin only for big matches anymore. Mayo support there a couple of years ago was unbelievable....but

I think I would do it for the experience, keep your sh*t together and don't show your colour's.
    Would I be nervous....sweet Jesus yes.
    Do it, then report back. 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I made a schoolboy error and went to do some grocery shopping in Aldi but i brought a lidl bag.

I've never felt so uneasy because of the looks i was getting.

Pffft, try that with an old black Superquinn cloth bag - the looks of pity on the one hand and yet some disgust as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Was in with the city fans in the etihad when we beat them in the CL.

Was interesting enough but if you keep your mouth shut you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pretend to be neutral and not know much about football. Ticket was a gift.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Doesn't matter if you shut up. Your mates will grass you up. Just takes one idiot to make a scene and then stewards are involved. Then your mates will abandon you for fear of being banned from Old Trafford. You will die bitter and alone.

God has spoken
    “I’ve ­honestly never heard such nonsense as the stuff that has surrounded this so-called spat between Sadio Mane and Mo Salah.

“Everyone commenting and talking nonsense about being ‘greedy’ or destroying team spirit, have they never watched football before?

“Because you can’t be a ­top-class goalscorer without total belief you will score.

“That’s what goalscorers do. They train for it, their whole week on the ­training ground is spent practising, visualising, working out how to score for every position and the best always believe they can score – from five yards, from 20, from 40. Wherever. Even if it’s easier to pass for a tap-in.

“I look at Salah’s record and it tells me he’s going to keep doing it.

“You don’t score that many goals without being what people say is selfish. But what the hell do people want?

“Do they want him to be a goalscorer or do they want him to be someone who’s always looking to pass? You can’t really have both.

“And the other ­nonsense I’ve heard is people saying he’s not passing ­because he’s ­jealous, he doesn’t want Mane to score.

“If anyone can slow down the game so much they have time to think, ‘Oh, I’m not passing to him because he’s scored more than me’, well they’re the best who’s ever played. Yes, Salah can be ­selfish when he sees the goal, but, to me, that makes him a great goalscorer.

“And it’s not as if he doesn’t create chances for others. Mane knows that, and what he did was just frustration at being taken off.”

https://www.goal.com/en/news/salah-is-going-to-keep-on-being-selfish-mane-saga-is/os7ugqvb38e21sla3gms34j5z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I saw a headline today where Wenger said Salah would score more (Messi like proportions) if he was less greedy. I'm not sure if it was bad reporting or the old man has gone ga-ga but that's what the headline said.

Klopp being interviewed today/last night said he told Coutinho to join Munich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus that must of been a sore one for Coutinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If we get knocked out by Munich and he scores, Klopp out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Guardian reported that he was offered to City and Pep said no

7 games in 22 days from next Saturday to the next International break.

Newcastle
    Napoli
    Chelsea
    MK Dons
    Sheffield United
    Salzburg
    Leicester

A game every 3 days the MK Dons the only game where you expect major chances.

Muahahaha wrote: »

Listening to the Totally football pod over the weekend they were doing a What If happened and it was about what if Sanchez went to City instead of Man U and Michael Cox said Sterling was offered to Arsenal as part of the deal for Sanchez imagine if that had happened but in the end it was his wage demands that stopped City going for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Muahahaha wrote: »

Tbf, it was reported at the time that Barca offered him to basically any side that could afford him. I'd imagine Pep wasn't the only one to look at his players and see no obvious spot for Coutinho.

Newcastle
    Napoli
    Chelsea
    MK Dons
    Sheffield United
    Salzburg
    Leicester

It's a gruelling run - I'm hopeful that we hit the ground running. Last season, we seemed to excel when the games came thick and fast.

That MK Dons game also clashes with an U23s game (or maybe an underage cup game - I don't remember exactly) but it probably diminishes the number of youngsters who could get a chance in the first team.

The one thing we can definitely say is that we'll have a good grasp on the standing of Shaqiri, Lallana, etc at the end of this month - if they can't get gametime during a run of 7 games in 3 weeks, they've no hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Newcastle
    Napoli
    Chelsea
    MK Dons
    Sheffield United
    Salzburg
    Leicester

Crazy thing is I expect to win all 7. We are a machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Napoli away will be tricky. Would take a draw there now, and plenty time to top the group after.

Chelsea away is the game I want to win. Well I want to win them all, but I think that is the big one for us to win out of this run.

The break has done Mo good.

Reenergised :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2Kib_FBhM0/

There's going to be murder when the first loss happens. We won't know how to react, probably will need to draw upon folk memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

The break has done Mo good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2Kib_FBhM0/

I don't know, it's pretty selfish of him to take up so much space on that sofa, and have his bag on it too! 😁

• Advertisement

Salah's hero

POLITICS-840.jpg

No call for that post Harry that might be the worst post in the history of this thread and that's saying a lot.

:D Unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Newcastle
    Napoli
    Chelsea
    MK Dons
    Sheffield United
    Salzburg
    Leicester

3 wins and a draw in the PL fixtures is probably the bare minimum we need with the points-monster that is this City team.

Crazy stuff really.

6 wrote: »
    FSG have been fantastic, dream owners tbh.

Klopp same as manager. Couldn't have picked a better manager for the club.

True. But they have the hard edge too if changes are deemed needed to continue success. The Red Sox fired the president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski despite winning the World Series last year. Losing 10-5 to the Yankees in Fenway last night probably didn't help his cause. They've slumped pretty badly this year compared to 2018.

• Advertisement

Lovren played a full game in a 1 - 1 draw.

VVD,Gini & Robbo all start

Origi on the bench.

Wilson starts for Wales in a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

There's going to be murder when the first loss happens. We won't know how to react, probably will need to draw upon folk memory.

Given some of the posts when we haven’t scored in the first ten minutes or have won but not played well I’d say there’s some posters who are waiting for it. I’m sure they’ll have enough material to see us through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

True. But they have the hard edge too if changes are deemed needed to continue success. The Red Sox fired the president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski despite winning the World Series last year. Losing 10-5 to the Yankees in Fenway last night probably didn't help his cause. They've slumped pretty badly this year compared to 2018.

FSG are fine, they don't take anything out of the club, aren't over or under involved but they struck gold with their recruitment team and manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

rob316 wrote: »
    FSG are fine, they don't take anything out of the club, aren't over or under involved but they struck gold with their recruitment team and manager.

They must be getting payback on their investment via a slice of commercial deals. They have to be taking something out. As long as we are successful then all well and good as the slice is barely noticed.

Remember the focus on stats at the beginning ? Something RedSox used. I wonder if that's all out the window and Klopp gets much more input. And the gasp at how PL contracts with players work.... essentially they mean nothing for keeping a player.

They seem to have the ability to adapt. Love that.

I'm delighted we have them as owners.

Damien360 wrote: »
    They must be getting payback on their investment via a slice of commercial deals. They have to be taking something out. As long as we are successful then all well and good as the slice is barely noticed.

Remember the focus on stats at the beginning ? Something RedSox used. I wonder if that's all out the window and Klopp gets much more input. And the gasp at how PL contracts with players work.... essentially they mean nothing for keeping a player.

That is what Edwards uses to pick the players Liverpool run everything on stats.

All the players signed by Klopp and Edwards were are signed on there stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Remember the focus on stats at the beginning ? Something RedSox used. I wonder if that's all out the window and Klopp gets much more input.

Sounds more like the opposite, Klopp has embraced it. This is a very good article on it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

tinpib wrote: »
    Sounds more like the opposite, Klopp has embraced it. This is a very good article on it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.html

Thats are fantastic read. But, your data is only as good as the person's ability to input good data. The part on Keita was based (on the article) on his ability to create space and push to forward positions. Heat maps essentially. I'm curious how that is measured in anything but the top leagues in each country. It relies on those clubs finding the person with ability and lift them out of the little leagues first. So not really stats to start.

Thats are fantastic read. But, your data is only as good as the person's ability to input good data. The part on Keita was based (on the article) on his ability to create space and push to forward positions. Heat maps essentially. I'm curious how that is measured in anything but the top leagues in each country. It relies on those clubs finding the person with ability and lift them out of the little leagues first. So not really stats to start.

The stats are there from every professional semi professional league in the world OPTA cover over a thousand leagues around the world and they aren't the only company doing this every major club in Europe will have their sources to those stats.

Football Manager is actually considered one of the best data collection services with its use of scouts around the world collect that data for them in the world of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yet another Gini goal for the Netherlands.

That's 3 goals and 2 assists in 4 games for them in Qualifying now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't think so they bought it for a song at 300m, they'll flip it for about 2 billion eventually.

It's the long game they are playing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement