Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yet another Gini goal for the Netherlands.

That's 3 goals and 2 assists in 4 games for them in Qualifying now.

It's not even the goals or assists he has been totally dominating midfield in those games influencing everything the Dutch do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't think so they bought it for a song at 300m, they'll flip it for about 2 billion eventually.

It's the long game they are playing.

In a way, in the long run it's almost likely to become negative the way everything has turned out... the club is peaking at just the same time as club values are spiking anyway, so if we were ever sold it could pretty much only be to some nation state or oil rich billionaire (or one of the few people straddling both those things). It sort of means that due to its own success, in the long term it would be hard for the club not to turn into some cheapened globalized commodity. Of course part of that is already creeping in, but they've done a good job so far of maintaining a balance between the global and the local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Only alright Gini is pretty good for a player who is only alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Babel scored two tonight, great player he is

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Babel scored two tonight, great player he is

He really has had a brilliant resurgence over the past 2 or so years though - was great for Besiktas, got his place back in the Dutch team on merit, and was then Fulham's best player by a mile after he joined 'em last year.

Actually really like him for the bits of magic he can produce, one of the most mercurial careers I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://twitter.com/OnsOranje/status/1171167285836488711?s=20

King Ragnar Klavan and a fan swap jerseys...

Ragnar is a king walking amongst us mere mortals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh Bring Babel Back 2020, I can see it now. :pac:

Oh Bring Babel Back 2020, I can see it now. :pac:

To be honest after his Premierleague and International form last year, I'd have had him back on a 2 year contract. Would have been a great senior stopgap while Brewster gets up to speed. Showed last year he still has his pace, eye for goal, and a much improved mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hey it's Raggy, good player he was for us, gave his all.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't think so they bought it for a song at 300m, they'll flip it for about 2 billion eventually.

It's the long game they are playing.

No one will buy Liverpool for 2bn. It may notionally be worth around that, but no one/country/organisation will spend that much on us.

They might put it on the stock market or sell a 25% share or something, but I don't think anything will happen for years yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

https://twitter.com/AnythingLFC_/status/1171320197304737792?s=19

Seems like it was his agent/hangers on that scuppered it

A couple of journos alluded to the agents wanted more money and Liverpool wouldn't play ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Interesting piece from James Pearce on the Athletic today regarding James Milner's future. His contract is up at the end of the season and he approached the club at the end of last season to discuss an extension. Preliminary discussions have taken place but no agreement yet as he is on €120,000 per week and turns 34 in January.

I'd be gutted to see Milner leave but it would be unusual for the club to make an offer at that scale to a player in that circumstance so either they'll have to back down or Milner will have to take a cut. Given his physical and mental abilities on and off the pitch, he wouldn't be short of suitors I'd say.

Also notes that we triggered a one year extension for Matip, so he's here until 2021, and that him and Wijnaldum are the priority for new deals. Gini is also up in 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Milner was free, probably one of the best free transfers in Premier League History. His 120k a week was well deserved. He could drop to 80k on a new 2 year deal. I have no doubt he will still be playing at 35, and probably leave us then and go on playing until he's 55.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Seems like it was his agent/hangers on that scuppered it

You wouldnt know what to believe but at the time it was reported that he had had knee surgery and the Liverpool doctors were not happy with the work done and said it would have to be opened up and done again with probably a several month lay off immediately after him signing. Reports said LFC wanted to knock a few million off the price because of this but the Lyon president wouldnt budge so the deal fell through.

Must say I felt sympathy for Fekir at the time, it was his dream move and he was heavily invested in it, he had done the interviews with LFCTV and the photoshoot in the club kit and then the whole thing collapsed. Those 24 hours were probably career defining for him and it didnt go his way.

• Advertisement

I had no idea Herbie Kane was still at the club and named in the Champions League squad. I assumed he'd gone back to Donny on loan (must start paying more attention).

I had no idea Herbie Kane was still at the club and named in the Champions League squad. I assumed he'd gone back to Donny on loan (must start paying more attention).

Get it together Harry. If you're not up to speed with the youngsters and the loanees, what chance do the rest of us have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

id give milner a million a week - love the man. who cares what age he is - he is the fittest member of the squad, an extremely experienced player, a team player, a man to look up to in the dressing room and a 100% professional.

Id keep him as long as we can. he has shown no signs of fatigue or getting on a bit at all - Ever! Talk of him "moving on into his twilight years" is total horseshít.

Love Milner. Brilliant signing. Still vital to the squad. Must be a huge inspiration to the younger lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I thought it was send him to Leeds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ye wasn't there plenty here saying he wouldn't sign a new contract and would head back to Leeds.

I'd very happily keep Milner around the squad however if the club can't reach an agreement with I will wish him the best.

Probably the best all round English player of his generation but will never get that credit because he wasn't as flashy as others.

Get it together Harry. If you're not up to speed with the youngsters and the loanees, what chance do the rest of us have?

I can tell you that Harvey Elliott scored during regulation time for England U17s as they won the Syrenka Cup on penalties 1-3. James Norris also started.No idea who he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

What team started the ole ole ole song that we have? Seems like every team has their own version of it now. Turned on the French game and they even have a version of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hey it's Raggy, good player he was for us, gave his all.

A cult hero indeed :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What team started the ole ole ole song that we have? Seems like every team has their own version of it now. Turned on the French game and they even have a version of it.

Is it Ole Ole Ole beep the horn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Third division Italian team.

From the Indo

From L’Aquila, though, the song spread quickly through Italy: Genoa had a version, and so did Juventus, Righi’s favorite Italian team. It was Napoli, though, that took to it most keenly. “It is almost a hymn there,” Righi said. Each new group changed the lyrics, though each one started with the same three words: un giorno all’improvviso. Just before the chorus, Napoli’s fans chanted that they would “defend the city.”

From there, the song took flight. Atlético Madrid adopted it — the club’s fans sang it during the Europa League final last week — and so did Rangers in Scotland. Righi tracks it all as much as he can; friends still send him video they find of new editions. “I’ve heard it sung at basketball games and hockey games, too,” Righi said.

The Super Dragons, FC Porto’s ultra group, noticed it, too. The group’s leader, Fernando Madureira, confirmed by text message that his cohort had seen a YouTube clip of Napoli’s ultras in action and decided to borrow the tune. By February 2016, when the club visited Borussia Dortmund in the Europa League, it had become one of its standards. During a visit to Germany, a group of Super Dragons was filmed singing it at a subway station.

As far as Madureira is concerned, Liverpool lifted it directly from Porto: The teams played in the Champions League’s round of 16 this season, and Madureira said he believed Liverpool’s fans took the song up spontaneously in the stadium. The reality, though, is a little more convoluted.

A few weeks after Porto played Dortmund in 2016, Phil Howard, a Liverpool fan from Wavertree, watched the video of the Super Dragons in the subway station. He had been in Dortmund for Liverpool’s game there, and was searching for clips on YouTube, “trying to see if I was in any of the videos.”

Disappearing down a YouTube rabbit hole, he came upon the Porto video. “I wanted to do a version of it straightaway,” he said. “As stupid as it sounds, I didn’t want Manchester United or Chelsea to get hold of it.”

Howard texted a friend, Liam Malone, to alert him to the song. “I told him this could be the next ‘Ring of Fire,’ ” he said, referring to the Johnny Cash song that provided the soundtrack to Liverpool’s 2005 Champions League win.

It took the two of them some time to come up with acceptable lyrics: It was not for 18 months, till December 2017, that Malone had a flash of inspiration. For the next few weeks, he and Howard tried to spread the word and popularise their creation: They were both at the game in Porto — three months later — where groups of Liverpool fans started singing it on the concourses and in the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Ye wasn't there plenty here saying he wouldn't sign a new contract and would head back to Leeds.

I'd very happily keep Milner around the squad however if the club can't reach an agreement with I will wish him the best.

Probably the best all round English player of his generation but will never get that credit because he wasn't as flashy as others.

Probably because he is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Here we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Probably because he is not.

Best all rounder? I'd say he probably is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

All rounder? Freddie Flintoff definitely up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Just watched the highlights of England Kosovo there. What a bargain Sterling was for City at 50M. Terrific player. Pity Liverpool couldn't keep hold of him. Kind of funny that they lost Sancho for next to nothing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

dmigsy wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights of England Kosovo there. What a bargain Sterling was for City at 50M. Terrific player. Pity Liverpool couldn't keep hold of him. Kind of funny that they lost Sancho for next to nothing though.

maybe we can bid for sancho..... looks to be our type of forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

We had to sell as the player wanted to go. Same as per VVD, who is a bargain at the price we paid. Imagine if City had landed him!
    Sterling has proven to be a bargain, but he was poor for Eng at the WC (only recently that he's starting scoring for Eng) and hasn't done it in the latter stages of the CL for City; so he's got a bit to go before he hits the real highs of the top class players. At 24yrs old, he's probably only starting to enter his prime over the next 5-6years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Saw some pl game last wk and they were singing the Bobby song for one of their players, they all sing allez, allez, allez
    now too, drives me mad, would they ever **** off and get their own songs(I know we stole all, but nobody in England sang it till we did)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

€50M was a great price for Sterling at the time and in the circumstances. That it turned out to be a good deal for City is unfortunate but that's the problem with future events, you can't predict them, with any great reliability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Saw some pl game last wk and they were singing the Bobby song for one of their players, they all sing allez, allez, allez
    now too, drives me mad, would they ever **** off and get their own songs(I know we stole all, but nobody in England sang it till we did)

If you steal something but do it better it's yours. Led Zeppelin made a career out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gimli2112 wrote: »
    €50M was a great price for Sterling at the time and in the circumstances. That it turned out to be a good deal for City is unfortunate but that's the problem with future events, you can't predict them, with any great reliability.

It was a good deal for him too considering where we were at the time and what City have done since.

If Klopp came in earlier we'd have had a much better chance of keeping him, I think he said as much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

We got Mane for around 20m less than what Sterling cost. I think we got a good price for Sterling, probably more than he was worth at the time and he has improved since.

I certainly wouldn't describe him as an amazing bargain, certainly not compared to Mane, Firmino or Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

We had to sell as the player wanted to go. Same as per VVD, who is a bargain at the price we paid. Imagine if City had landed him!
    Sterling has proven to be a bargain, but he was poor for Eng at the WC (only recently that he's starting scoring for Eng) and hasn't done it in the latter stages of the CL for City; so he's got a bit to go before he hits the real highs of the top class players. At 24yrs old, he's probably only starting to enter his prime over the next 5-6years.

Pep has really developed him, and Sterling has clearly put in a lot of work on his own game. He was very raw at Liverpool.

It's funny, I watched highlights of us beating Arsenal in 13/14 and in that game Sterling scored a tap in at the far post and then fluffed a 1 on 1. You could say he is still doing that now.

I think he is a great example of the importance of hard work and good coaching. Look at players like Walcott (similar skillset, better finisher) and Barkley. They were highly rated a few years ago but never kicked on to the same extent.

• Advertisement

Sterling clearly had alot of talent and potential but for £50m I wasn't too sad to see him go. Now looking back it was a great price for City and Pep has done a fantastic job developing him.

Not a transfer I'm bitter about though, with that money we got Bobby and Benteke, who we sold 12 months later for the same money and bought Mane instead. It's not like we pissed the money away like the Suarez transfer.

steve_r wrote: »
    Pep has really developed him, and Sterling has clearly put in a lot of work on his own game. He was very raw at Liverpool.

It's funny, I watched highlights of us beating Arsenal in 13/14 and in that game Sterling scored a tap in at the far post and then fluffed a 1 on 1. You could say he is still doing that now.

I think he is a great example of the importance of hard work and good coaching. Look at players like Walcott (similar skillset, better finisher) and Barkley. They were highly rated a few years ago but never kicked on to the same extent.
    He was also very young, had a lot to learn, and his finsihing was generally poor/ok. I remember the Utd game away where he helped de Gea to the MOTM award (in a game we lost 3:0).

Rodgers did a lot for him, and going to a manager like Pep, and a team like City with quality surrounding him, was always going to help him further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

His finishing is still pretty raw, no?

His finishing is still pretty raw, no?
    It's improved. He's not a striker, so for a wide player he's a decent finisher now. He used to struggle to get 10 goals a season, but has been hitting almost 20 for the last 2yrs (and off to a great start this year). Recently for Eng he's starting scoring as well, after a really terrible scoring rate for his first 40 caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Any reported injuries after the international break?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

It's improved. He's not a striker, so for a wide player he's a decent finisher now. He used to struggle to get 10 goals a season, but has been hitting almost 20 for the last 2yrs (and off to a great start this year). Recently for Eng he's starting scoring as well, after a really terrible scoring rate for his first 40 caps.

He makes a lot of really smart runs and he has great instincts - it helps that Pep has designed their style of play around him.

I always felt Suarez was a great help to him in terms of expecting him to work hard to get to their standard, as opposed to just letting him slide because he was young. When they spoke on the pitch I felt Suarez spoke to him like a peer, rather than a kid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

gafferino wrote: »
    Any reported injuries after the international break?

Banged my toe of the coffee table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well it is Allez Allez Allez, not ole ole ole :)

So not surprised a few French teams would have that chant

Well it is Allez Allez Allez, not ole ole ole :)

So not surprised a few French teams would have that chant

It's an adapted version of an Italian disco song, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z-bmmuAY-w

It was sung by fans of Napoli and Genoa for years and, apparently, Juvé, Atletico and Porto all have versions that pre-date the Liverpool one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

brevity wrote: »
    Banged my toe of the coffee table.

bit of warm weather rehab/training will see you right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We sold Sterling for £50m and bought Mane for £35m, I'm kind of completely fine with that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement