Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We sold Sterling and bought Benteke another reason why Rodgers wasn't the right man for the club.

Luckily enough we also got Bobby that window as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I see Conor Masterson scored last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

We sold Sterling and bought Benteke another reason why Rodgers wasn't the right man for the club.

Benteke, much like Balotelli, aren't the type of players that Rodgers typically goes for. I wouldn't blame him for those signings, much as I wouldn't therefore give him credit for Bobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Allez Allez Allez is also being sung by the young scallywags in the stands of Leinster schools rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

https://twitter.com/ptgorst/status/1171420680899964928?s=19

The company have reportedly also allowed bets to be placed in some countries on cockfights and children's sports and were suspended by UK regulators earlier this year.
    The Reds could be hit with a multi-million pound fine if they are found to have knowingly promoted a gambling firm that had been outlawed, although it is likely that such a scenario would be a worst-case one for the European champions.

Said it before, but it's a sad state of affairs that rich Premier League clubs are hand in glove with bookies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It's ridiculous that teams can even still have gambling sponsorships at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Said it before, but it's a sad state of affairs that rich Premier League clubs are hand in glove with bookies.
    Cant really blame clubs if they're being offered vast amounts of money. Morally wrong but looks great on the books hey ho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Mig wrote: »
    Cant really blame clubs if they're being offered vast amounts of money. Morally wrong but looks great on the books hey ho!

Why can't they be squeaky clean, like the main title sponsor S&C........

BIG business doesn't do morals, it's the main thing that's the main thing. Who do we think we should have sponsoring a club, banks? Breweries? Bookies? Tobacco companies? Church organisations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Why can't they be squeaky clean, like the main title sponsor S&C........

BIG business doesn't do morals, it's the main thing that's the main thing. Who do we think we should have sponsoring a club, banks? Breweries? Bookies? Tobacco companies? Church organisations?

back to Carslberg I say!

free pints for everyone on entry to Anfield too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

FitzShane wrote: »
    back to Carslberg I say!

Back to?

Carslberg still sponsor Liverpool, just not the main one anymore.

I seen Nord VPN is also gone

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/corporate/partners

Why not green tech companies? Motech for example, or Danish lager largest wind turbine company in the world Vestas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just because most big business is immoral doesn't mean gambling companies aren't particularly scummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

FitzShane wrote: »
    back to Carslberg I say!

Do we have to drink it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Hitachi. Simpler times. We won everything. The sponsorship deal was probably little more than hi-fi systems for the directors.

Paul Glaztel 4 year deal and no Bobby Duncan in competition, its all turning out well for him (once the leg is put back on). RTE 2 will be showing Napoli v Liverpool next Tuesday.

When the governing body the FA take the money from these companies a huge example being EFL Championship is sponsored by a bloody betting company.

What example does that set the clubs and the players and the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Back to?

Carslberg still sponsor Liverpool, just not the main one anymore.

I seen Nord VPN is also gone

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/corporate/partners

Nord VPN, the irony, sure tis how the our Brexit pals over the pond can illegally stream their 3PM matches... :)

Same with this betting crowd, they sponsored dodgy pool match stream's also apparently... :D

Nord VPN was my go to when I was using streams on 1XBet to watch Liverpool games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Milner, Hamaan & Bellamy in the ‘Manchester City Legends’ squad for Kompany’s Testimonial. Along with Kolo & Balotelli!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Milner, Hamaan & Bellamy in the ‘Manchester City Legends’ squad for Kompany’s Testimonial. Along with Kolo & Balotelli!

Carra and Robbie Keane are out there for the PL All Stars too.

Benteke, much like Balotelli, aren't the type of players that Rodgers typically goes for. I wouldn't blame him for those signings, much as I wouldn't therefore give him credit for Bobby.

Not a typical Rodgers player, but it did sound like it was very much a Rodgers decision. Word was that he'd only go along with the Bobby purchase if he could get his own choice of Benteke as well.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Not a typical Rodgers player, but it did sound like it was very much a Rodgers decision. Word was that he'd only go along with the Bobby purchase if he could get his own choice of Benteke as well.

Not sure about that either he wanted Dempsey at the expensive of Henderson and he also signed Lambert.

Dempsey, Lambert, Benteke and even Mario to an extent all seem similar enough to me.

No Robbie Fowler to score an OG for both sides?

Lovely little goal from Robbie Keane there, well played from the auld lads. Keane in fairness to him looks very sharp still, and about as mobile as he ever did. Lots of movement in small areas.

• Advertisement

Not sure about that either he wanted Dempsey at the expensive of Henderson and he also signed Lambert.

Dempsey, Lambert, Benteke and even Mario to an extent all seem similar enough to me.

True enough, I suppose I primarily associate him with the wing forward type of players, like Scott Sinclair, Wayne Routledge, Nathan Dyer, Dembele, etc, but you're right, he's often had a few bigger back-to-goal lads between the wide-forwards, like Danny Graham. Even Borini for us sort of played like that when he joined.

Given the spectacular failure that was Benteke (and Mario) I'm not surprised that word was it was Rodgers. Rodgers had no interest in playing someone like Carroll, not his style (and Lambert was meant to be a 4th choice striker if we needed a target man).
    I'm only saying that if people want to blame him for the bad signings, credit him with the good ones (and vice versa).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Lovely little goal from Robbie Keane there, well played from the auld lads. Keane in fairness to him looks very sharp still, and about as mobile as he ever did. Lots of movement in small areas.

Has he spun around with his arms in air looking for a penalty yet?

Or tried an overhead kick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

It is to Michael Edwards credit that he was able to sell so many of Brendan's bad signings for decent money.

Given the spectacular failure that was Benteke (and Mario) I'm not surprised that word was it was Rodgers. Rodgers had no interest in playing someone like Carroll, not his style (and Lambert was meant to be a 4th choice striker if we needed a target man).
    I'm only saying that if people want to blame him for the bad signings, credit him with the good ones (and vice versa).

Those were the reports at the time, when Benteke was highly rated, and Bobby was far less known.

As far as credit goes... I mean, in general it's always worth taking these things with a pinch of salt, but some of the signings were very obviously the transfer committee's (Assaidi, Firmino, Luis Alberto, Aspas, Markovic - plenty of duds there too), and others were very obviously his (Borini, Allen, Moses etc). As a general rule, the transfer committee ones are the more unknown stat driven signings, where they found value in unrecognized places, while the Rodgers ones were more based on his experience with or against those players (this can be seen throughout his career, not just with us). It's no surprise that he wanted Benteke after Benteke destroyed us numerous times. And to be honest, if that Benteke had joined, I think he'd have been great. He had it all. But unfortunately the injury he got at Villa killed his peak ability. He's never gotten back to that level.

• Advertisement

Sure you can find posts praising Firmino here at least one maybe two seasons before he joined.

This was Neil Jones first article after taking over from Reddy at Goal
    Liverpool's recruitment team, led by Michael Edwards (now the club's sporting director), Dave Fallows and Barry Hunter, proposed Diego Costa, the Atletico Madrid striker, as a potential signing. Costa was emerging as one of Europe's finest, and positive conversations with his representatives revealed a €25m release clause in his contract.

Rodgers was unconvinced, but Edwards, Fallows and Hunter pushed hard. Liverpool triggered Costa's clause in August 2013, but he chose to stay at Atletico, penning a new deal soon after. He would help them to a La Liga title and a Champions League final before joining Chelsea the following summer

Liverpool, meanwhile, signed Iago Aspas from Celta Vigo while crucially convincing Suarez to stay another year. He and Sturridge plundered 55 goals between them as the Reds came heartbreakingly close to ending their long, painful wait for a league title.

The game which cost them – a 2-0 home defeat to Jose Mourinho's Chelsea – was the one which reinforced Rodgers' belief that another, 'different' type of striker was needed. Liverpool had struggled to break down Mourinho's massed, well-drilled defence that day. They needed, the manager felt, a 'Plan B' who would enable them to change their style, to play direct and become less predictable. Aspas, a better player than he ever showed at Anfield, was not the answer.

Rodgers' first choice was Wilfried Bony, then at Swansea. The Ivorian had enjoyed a good debut campaign in the Premier League, scoring 25 goals in all competitions - including two at Anfield.

The manager was convinced, but concerns were raised in the recruitment team. They felt Bony lacked the necessary work ethic and that the cost, in terms of both transfer fee and wages, was excessive. The plan was shelved. Bony, it should be noted, has scored just 24 goals in four seasons since.

Instead, Liverpool bought Rickie Lambert from Southampton as their 'Plan B' option, while signing Mario Balotelli as their marquee gamble to replace the departed Suarez. Both would have little or no impact at the club, managing just three league goals between them. With Sturridge crocked, Liverpool dropped from 101 goals in 2013/14 to just 52 the following season.

With Bony off the table having moved to Manchester City, Benteke was now the Ulsterman's No.1 pick. Concerns were again raised – Lambert's struggles had laid bare the difficulty of fitting a target man into the team - but it was felt that, unlike Bony, the Aston Villa man would at least retain value should things fail to work out at Anfield. Rodgers' judgement was backed, Liverpool triggering Benteke's £32.5m release clause while on tour in Australia in July 2015.

By then, of course, Firmino was already on board, Liverpool having committed to a deal which could eventually cost them £29m. It was seen as a coup by the recruitment team, who had been blown away by the Brazilian's performances as a multi-functional forward with Hoffenheim.

Liverpool considered other options – Memphis Depay was tracked extensively, while Son Heung-min was discussed. Liverpool had rejected the chance to sign Son from Hamburg for just €10m in 2013, and would now watch him join Tottenham for more than double that.

Anyway, Firmino, was 'the one' as far as Edwards and Co. were concerned. Liverpool's 'transfer committee' received plenty of criticism during Rodgers' reign, but their commitment to pushing through this signing was absolute, and has been rewarded since.

And contrary to what many think, they were always convinced Firmino could flourish as a No.9 in England.

Rodgers, though, had asked for Benteke and Liverpool, despite the Stoke debacle and plenty of internal fears, were keen to back him. He also had a shiny new backroom team, with Gary McAllister and Pep Lijnders joining and Sean O'Driscoll a surprise choice as assistant manager.

McAllister's influence, as both a club legend and a smart, measured personality, was welcomed while Lijnders made a big impression on players and staff with his innovative coaching sessions.

O'Driscoll's impact, though, was seen by many at the club as a negative one.

He was quick to voice doubts about Firmino in particular, stating regularly (and openly) that he couldn't understand where he should play or why he'd been bought. Whether Rodgers, who was rather more positive in his initial assessments, listened to him or not is unclear, but Liverpool began the season with Benteke up front and Firmino on the bench.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/why-firmino-and-flourished-and-benteke-flopped-at-liverpool/5o66k5s82px1rmi7fo8j6d0k

As far as credit goes... I mean, in general it's always worth taking these things with a pinch of salt, but some of the signings were very obviously the transfer committee's (Assaidi, Firmino, Luis Alberto, Aspas, Markovic - plenty of duds there too), and others were very obviously his (Borini, Allen, Moses etc).
    The only thing I'll say about the transfer committee, is that since Klopp came here, it's been amazing. Sold the right players (getting some serious cash for unwanted players) and bought brilliantly well. Think it's been a nett spend of about £70m, turning the team totally around, becoming CL winners and a 96pt season. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

If we got £50m for Sterling I'd happily spend it on Lacazette & Benteke.

You posted the above...along with

The one thing about Benteke is that we know he can do it in the PL.

Benteke 96 games in the last 3 seasons 48 goals scored.

Sturridge 66 games in the last 3 seasons 40 goals scored.

I think they could work well toget
    her

Also........

I'm sure Benteke is a transfer committee player he'd never be a Rodgers type of player.

Along with many many others championing the signing of Benteke, I was in favour of the signing myself but I'm not giving it the ole Captain Hindsight routine here just to have a dig at Rodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

^^^Jesus, you're obsessed, lad. Let it go ffs.

Owl. wrote: »
    ^^^Jesus, you're obsessed, lad. Let it go ffs.

Let what go? Poster clearly contradicting himself, I pointed it out, where's the crime?

Kenny signed some fcuking awful players as well under FSG, Henderson probably being the only decent signing Suarez had already been pipeline during Roy's time.

It is to FSG's credit that they backed both Kenny and Rodgers to buy those players.

It took Klopp coming in and his understanding and trusting of a director of football type role and giving Edwards and his data team a chance for FSG to finally get the perfect match of manager and data analysts that they wanted to start with when they bought the club.

Coulson has a stalker jesus christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Kenny signed some fcuking awful players as well under FSG, Henderson probably being the only decent signing Suarez had already been pipeline during Roy's time.

It is to FSG's credit that they backed both Kenny and Rodgers to buy those players.

It took Klopp coming in and his understanding and trusting of a director of football type role and giving Edwards and his data team a chance for FSG to finally get the perfect match of manager and data analysts that they wanted to start with when they bought the club.

I pretty sure you called Klopp "a big eejit" 10 yrs ago - take that captain hindsight! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Let what go? Poster clearly contradicting himself, I pointed it out, where's the crime?

You keep quoting and replying to a poster who obviously has you on ignore. Everyone can see it except you. He's not going to answer you so why bother?

• Advertisement

You keep quoting and replying to a poster who obviously has you on ignore. Everyone can see it except you. He's not going to answer you so why bother?

Not my business if a poster has me on ignore, I'm entitled to reply to any post on the forum, right? It is an open forum afaik.

Anyway, Bob played an hour yesterday, and Fab played 30 minutes... probably travelled back to England last night, or this morning (LA time), so doubt there'll be any issues with them for the weekend.

Seems like we'll have the same squad to work with as before the break, which is a nice change!

Is there rebuilding working being done at Napoli's stadium?
    �� Press release of
    @MrAncelotti
    "Outraged by the conditions of the San Paolo locker rooms" ����http://sscn.it/03fa78��#ForzaNapoliSempre

https://twitter.com/sscnapoli/status/1171847647768039424?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Seems Newcastle have a lot of in Jerry's for game against us, can sometime be awkward. They'll be playing a few with a point to prove.

Well, it's shown me that the poster is using hindsight to perhaps have a dig at Rodgers (given that hey also felt Benteke was a good signing). So it was good info.
    As for obsessed/stalker, it's not very difficult to look up or search someones previous comments about a player with Boards tools.

Seems Newcastle have a lot of in Jerry's for game against us, can sometime be awkward. They'll be playing a few with a point to prove.

There is thing called Grammarly you might find helpful ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There is thing called Grammarly you might find helpful ;)

They'll be bringing in some Jerry's to fill those gaps. Makes sense to me at least

Well, it's shown me that the poster is using hindsight to perhaps have a dig at Rodgers (given that hey also felt Benteke was a good signing). So it was good info.
    As for obsessed/stalker, it's not very difficult to look up or search someones previous comments about a player with Boards tools.

I can understand people doing this when its used to debunk a troll. But otherwise... i mean, yeah, we're all hypocrites. We all have opinions that will definitely be proven wrong over the course of time. But we're not the subject matter - the football is. And we're also none of us football managers. So us having the same opinion as a manager in the past doesn't mean the manager wasn't totally wrong - you'd hope your manager knows a hell of a lot more than just the shared conventional public opinion that we go off. It's possible to both have thought a player would be a success, and also to lambast the manager afterwards for thinking the same thing when it goes wrong, because they should know better than us.

Personally, I think the Benteke one is a slightly unfair one to hit him with alright, simply because he never recovered from his Villa injury, so it's not like just didn't work - he was literally a different player than we thought we'd signed.

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

noodler wrote: »
    Best all rounder? I'd say he probably is

Steven Gerrard.

Better defensive midfielder, central midfielder ,attacking midfielder, winger and full back than him. Gerrard a better goal scorer, passer, tackler and overall better player.

Any other position?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement