Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Thought I was in the Liverpool forum for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

emo72 wrote: »
    Thought I was in the Liverpool forum for a second.

You are, what's confusing you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

With Simon gone, Henderson is the only remaining member of the 13/14 title challenging squad.
    Oh how time flys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Cancelo is a better player than Danilo and can cover a few positions - primarily a right-back but he's comfortable on the left and as a winger too. Makes perfect sense for City to improve where they can - Danilo never lit the place up. Even in the absence of an actual left-back when Mendy was injured, Pep preferred Zinchenko and Delph there so not a surprise to see them make a move.

Could also see Walker used as a CB from time to time, too. They don't have a huge number of players there with Kompany gone unless Pep wants Rodri and/or Fernandinho as an alternative option.

Not surprised to see them stay away from Maguire at that price too. Not in a United-bashing sense or anything but if you're paying that price, you need to be totally certain he's the right man. If they weren't, then it makes more sense to hold off and sign the right player in January or next year, just like we did with Van Dijk. My only hope is that the absence of a new CB might see them drop a few points more than they would otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Dickerty wrote: »
    Well yes, but still different from signing another one outright...

Really? You see people saying that net spend is nonsense so I don't really get the difference in swapping a 30m player and paying another 20m for a player or selling your guy for 30m and then paying 50m for another player?

End result is City have gotten another 50m WB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Really? You see people saying that net spend is nonsense so I don't really get the difference in swapping a 30m player and paying another 20m for a player or selling your guy for 30m and then paying 50m for another player?

End result is City have gotten another 50m WB.

Yeh, but it's still different when they are selling a different FB for 60% of that fee.
    And net spend is NOT rubbish, it defines what a club can do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like Wilson is going on loan to Bournemouth as the won't match the £25m the club want.

There owners must be ****ed up at Howe buying players Liverpool don't want for inflated fees.

It looks like he isn't considered good enough by the club then if they don't want to keep him.

I don't think himself or Kent are good enough myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I never understood how some people openly mocked the notion of net spend.

I have they never have to manage a household budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A good win against Norwich and we'll go top, hopefully with a lot of goals so we stay top. We have what looks to be an easy start, need to make it pay. Goals are important too, we'd have lost last season even if we had managed to tie things up at the top.

Looks like Wilson is going on loan to Bournemouth as the won't match the £25m the club want.

There owners must be ****ed up at Howe buying players Liverpool don't want for inflated fees.

It looks like he isn't considered good enough by the club then if they don't want to keep him.

If you place one of them in the side surrounded by the first team then suddenly they look good enough. It's true of most players. Henderson looks a far better player in a Liverpool shirt than he would in a Derby shirt playing in Championshipy.
    Would have been great to see him get some first team action, but if it ain't going to happen then no point in letting him rot, needs to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

A good win against Norwich and we'll go top, hopefully with a lot of goals so we stay top. We have what looks to be an easy start, need to make it pay. Goals are important too, we'd have lost last season even if we had managed to tie things up at the top.
    In a season where the top 2 teams finish on 98/97 points it's fine margins. Man City scored 6 more goals than Liverpool and also conceded one more goal.

That doesn't tell you a whole lot other than it's very fine margins - where Man City won the league was in taking 4 points in the games against Liverpool. That will be the measure of improvement for Liverpool this season - at the very least we have to win our home game in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

8-10 wrote: »
    They've just signed Joao Cancelo from Juventus today and could easily get over 100m for Sane

Are you serious? That is some quality to be adding as a backup to Walker.

**** me.

City can sign 100 players if they wish. I'm 100% confident they can only field 11 of them though. We'll more than match them in the two game we'll face them, the rest is in our own hands.

Sure even if we signed Messi tomorrow he probably wouldn't get a proper full game till January anyway the way Klopp works.

We would then have calls to sell him in November by some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't think Kent is for sure. I saw Wilson a couple of times for Derby and in pre-season this year and he's not of our quality as it stands but he does have something about him. I wouldn't be surprised if we sold him but I wouldn't be surprised about us wanting to keep him either and see how he does in the PL on loan.

My big hope now is that Wilson to Bournemouth sweetens them up enough to let us get Ryan Fraser in. He's into the last year of his contract and he would be amazing in our system.

We should be able to get Fraser for 20-25m I'd have hoped. It's going to be devastating when he goes to Arsenal or someone instead.

I have taken the (Fantasy PL) captaincy off Mane for this weekend's fixtures, so he should score a brace from the bench now.

Yer welcome.

Apparently Kent and Wilson both left out of squad photo, along with Curtis Jones. Kent and Wilson both likely to leave.
    The latter probably won't be traning with the first team for some time, needs to get his mojo back, looked flat in pre-season.

Well hopefully he can slam in a few bangers against the rest of the top 4.

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »

Be interesting to see how he does there. Howe does enjoy to play attacking football.

No option to buy so maybe a sweetener if we go for Fraser/Brooks?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He showed he can do it at Championship level, he has the chance to prove it a EPL level now.
    He's only close to the bench for us at the moment, whereas getting games in the same league will be much better to see if he is a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Talisman wrote: »
    In a season where the top 2 teams finish on 98/97 points it's fine margins. Man City scored 6 more goals than Liverpool and also conceded one more goal.

That doesn't tell you a whole lot other than it's very fine margins - where Man City won the league was in taking 4 points in the games against Liverpool. That will be the measure of improvement for Liverpool this season - at the very least we have to win our home game in November.

Yes on the top level that was the difference but there is much more to the picture. Listening to a podcast on it, Liverpool over performed last year when it came to expected goals etc. I think we are forecast for a high 80's or 90 point finish this year. Thats still incredible but would require Man City to perform below expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

City can sign 100 players if they wish. I'm 100% confident they can only field 11 of them though. We'll more than match them in the two game we'll face them, the rest is in our own hands.

It's the sheer amount of games we will likely play this season and potentially being unlucky with injuries...we are in trouble if we get bad injuries to key players. I basically see us taking a gamble going into the new season without any real signings. Could pay off...likely won't..every team has to deal with injuries, I'm not entirely confident in Origi being back up or our lack of defenders etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Well Mig, you really did save the best for ehhhh first? He literally peaked in his debut for us and it was all downhill from there:

giphy.gif

Like a lot of these really aren't normal mistakes, they're genuinely bizarre

giphy.gif

negredo-goal.gif

He seemed desperate to concede against Bordeaux in the Europa League, first with this mad header and then eventually conceding from an indirect free kick because he held onto the ball for 22 seconds (that's not the whole clip by the way, the gif can only be 15 seconds long so there's an extra 7 seconds of Mignolet just standing around with the ball to be seen :p )

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Completely losing his whereabouts and letting the ball roll out of play:

giphy.gif

Conceding a free kick because he's looking elsewhere organising the defence:

giphy.gif

This isn't all of them, it's not even close to all really, he's honestly fascinating to look at in retrospect.

he's the epitome of how different it is to be a keeper at a top club, compared to a keeper where you're saving shots all the time.

it was a concentration thing as much as anything with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

MarkY91 wrote: »
    It's the sheer amount of games we will likely play this season and potentially being unlucky with injuries...we are in trouble if we get bad injuries to key players. I basically see us taking a gamble going into the new season without any real signings. Could pay off...likely won't..every team has to deal with injuries, I'm not entirely confident in Origi being back up or our lack of defenders etc.

Brewster better be the next coming of Fowler tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Zzzzzzz

Well hopefully he can slam in a few bangers against the rest of the top 4.

Yeh, upside of loans! They can't play against you! Worked with Ings...

I think this might result in one incoming. We've done it before, not closed an incoming player until an outgoing was confirmed. Klopp doesn't like to be over-stocked, just another player to keep happy.

Same happened with Clyne loan, people whinged about it. But once he left, that was one less player to keep happy, and we didn't miss him.

Some reports that Coutinho will go to Arsenal on loan. I don't see it, such a big step down for him and now what Arsenal need AT ALL.

This week will be a MESS.

Liam Millar has gone to Kilmarnock on a season long loan.

The Scottish league seems to the level for most of these young lads.

Wilson being the exception as a Championship player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

gafferino wrote: »
    Yes on the top level that was the difference but there is much more to the picture. Listening to a podcast on it, Liverpool over performed last year when it came to expected goals etc. I think we are forecast for a high 80's or 90 point finish this year. Thats still incredible but would require Man City to perform below expectations.
    I think that 'over performed' is part of the magic dust that Klopp brings - the players have bought into his vision since he became manager and that is underestimated. He has given the players a belief that anything is possible if they are willing to work for each other and the results speak for themselves.

Man City are capable of 100 points in the league and that brings another pressure for them. In an interview De Bruyne said recently that such a level of performance is unsustainable over a period of years for any team including Man City. Is he right or is he trying to reduce expectations? De Bruyne said he thinks 85 points will win the league this season - that's well within the reach of both Liverpool and Man City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Don't think Wilson or Kent are good enough to play at the top end of the Premier league, no surprise to see they'll be shipped out.

So we have agreed to sell Fab to Real Madrid for £60m.

lol

So we have agreed to sell Fab to Real Madrid for £60m.

lol

About time. Should have been loaned out last year instead of taking up a space in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rumours Barca are tying to loan Coutinho.

Would Klopp take him back?

MD1990 wrote: »

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

8-10 wrote: »
    Nope

Klopp might hurt his back trying to answer the phone

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Klopp said in an interview that he was too expensive to buy but he wouldn't say no to taking him back.
    That to me was Klopp saying he could possibly be loaded back......or maybe I was reading too much into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

feck, 20 million more for liverpool if coutinho plays 20 odd more games for Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Rumours had going to Utd or Arsenal. I doubt Klopp would go near him but who knows ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It would be pretty funny that 18 months after leaving for greater ambitions we'd have won the champions league and he'd be in the europa with arsenal.

• Advertisement

feck, 20 million more for liverpool if coutinho plays 20 odd more games for Barcelona

That's some noose to hang over any player in fairness.

I'd take Coutinho back if he was prepared to do what Ayew was prepared to do a couple of years ago when he wanted to join the club.

Ayew was prepared to play for free to earn a contract.

So if Coutinho was prepared to play for free for a loan season to show how much he wanted to come back I'd take him.

Actually Ayew might be a decent shout for a cheap cover for the front three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

have a feeling Coutinho to Spurs & Eriksen to Man Utd will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Looking like any liverpool transfer news is going to be fringe players being sold/loaned out.On the plus side we have not lost any of our best players as has happened in the past, it shows the club is being well ran.

have a feeling Coutinho to Spurs & Eriksen to Man Utd will happen.

Looks plausible. Step down for Eriksen after a CL final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

I think I read that Liverpool analytics team don't just pick players for what they do on the the pitch they look at personality of the players their home and family lives and how they would settle into living in the North West of England. That is a lot of work and I would guess Klopp doesn't want to bring in a player or players that would upset the bond he has built. So if the player or players they want to sign aren't available yet it's better off not bring anyone in.

One of the men who built this is on that analytics team.
    HastyCreamyChrysomelid-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Insights we do for work . . .
    On the only previous occasion that Liverpool started a league season at home against Norwich City, the Reds won the top-flight league title ahead of Manchester City in 2nd (1976-77). Liverpool beat Norwich 1-0 at Anfield on MD1 that season.

One of the men who built this is on that analytics team.
    HastyCreamyChrysomelid-size_restricted.gif

Don't know if he built it but he did work at CERN,

William Spearman
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/william-spearman

Interesting man to follow on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/the_spearman?lang=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I'd take him back in a heart beat on loan no bother. People seem to have it in for him over the way he left, personally couldn't care less about it, he'd be a serious addition to the squad, he's still a great baller.

• Advertisement

Awoniyi has joined Mainz on loan for the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement