Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Thought Van Dyke was brilliant tonight, could've done a little better for the 2nd goal but overall brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Napoli are decent nothing more. Arsenal beat them home and away in the Europa just a few months ago. Ancelotti knows how to stop Liverpool.

Liverpools away record is really poor in Europe. That's 6 defeats in last 8 away games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

monkey9 wrote: »
    I can't believe the amount of people moaning about the penalty. What does Robertson expect when he just dangles a leg out like that in the box? Unless he wins the ball, it's tough sh!t.

Players are always going to make the most of it. There doesn't HAVE to be contact. It's not up to the Napoli player to just hurdle a leg and do Robertson a favour.

It's the same when a keeper comes rushing out. Unless he wins the ball, he's giving away a penalty all day long.

It's a penalty. No doubt about it.

Salah should’ve done it in the first half. Too honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

monkey9 wrote:
    I can't believe the amount of people moaning about the penalty. What does Robertson expect when he just dangles a leg out like that in the box? Unless he wins the ball, it's tough sh!t.

monkey9 wrote:
    Players are always going to make the most of it. There doesn't HAVE to be contact. It's not up to the Napoli player to just hurdle a leg and do Robertson a favour.

monkey9 wrote:
    It's the same when a keeper comes rushing out. Unless he wins the ball, he's giving away a penalty all day long.

monkey9 wrote:

What's the point of VAR then if not to stop players trying to cheat the ref.

It's mad that diving has become so ingrained that you blame the defender over the diver.

Doesn't have to be contact for a penalty? Give it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Napoli are decent nothing more. Arsenal beat them home and away in the Europa just a few months ago. Ancelotti knows how to stop Liverpool.

Liverpools away record is really poor in Europe. That's 6 defeats in last 8 away games

I'll take that poor record if it means WE ARE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That was some save from Adrian vs Mertens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

1 away loss in the knockout stages of each of our last 2 campaigns, both in the semi-final, I'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

.G. wrote: »
    Few good saves from Adrian and a worldie second half one too, front three won't all be as bad again you'd expect. Win the home games and Genk away and the job is done.

VAR needs binning if its just going to compound referring mistakes rather than correct them. It's like they don't want to grass on their mates.

I thought they got it wrong but first but now think it was a penalty.

I don't get these calls to get rid of VAR.

It's a still a person making a decision at the end and it just assists the ref.

It gets the majority of calls right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yet we've been in back to back finals winning one of them.

Napoli are more than decent too I would say....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eigrod wrote: »

He really is, despite his reputation. Hilarious that he's thought of as a diver, when he so rarely goes down, even after legitimate fouls.

rob316 wrote: »

Wasn't just one of those where he guesses well and has it hit directly at him either, incredible stretch to get a hand to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah he should have. Salah is TOO honest. It makes me laugh when people call him a diver. He doesn't bloody dive enough when he's entitled to. Funnily enough, there was an example last season at home to Napoli when he should have went down and he would have won a penalty, but he stayed on his feet.

We weren't favourite tonight anyway regardless of the bookies odds :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

rob316 wrote: »

One of the best saves I've seen one of our GKs make. Also got a hand on the peno I think? Had a good game, getting more comfortable with him as GK. Seems like he has settled in well now at this stage, really wasn't sure about him for his first few games.

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    What's the point of VAR then if not to stop players trying to cheat the ref.

It's mad that diving has become so ingrained that you blame the defender over the diver.

Doesn't have to be contact for a penalty? Give it up.

There literally doesn't have to be contact for a foul to occur anywhere on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Nothing to be too alarmed by really. We'll all live anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Turtyturd wrote: »
    A few making their debut this season.

They signed up after the city game last season,been a long wait for em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Sick of feckin Napoli (some cracking players though)

murpho999 wrote: »
    I thought they got it wrong but first but now think it was a penalty.

I don't get these calls to get rid of VAR.

It's a still a person making a decision at the end and it just assists the ref.

It gets the majority of calls right.

I wouldn't call to get rid of it, but if it cant award a peno for the foul on Matip for example then its not working like it should. I can see peoples frustrations with it all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Robbed with that peno, so frustrating but sadly, Robertson was too tired to pull away enough to make sure.

Thankfully, we should be through by the time we play them at Anfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Thought Van Dyke was brilliant tonight, could've done a little better for the 2nd goal but overall brilliant.

Joel was just as good and made no critical errors, praise for Joel ..great performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Charlie19 wrote: »

Tbf he made a balls of it, nó excuse, nó point having a stormer if you end up doing that, if it was anyone else that did that they'd be slated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Napoli are decent nothing more. Arsenal beat them home and away in the Europa just a few months ago.

This shouldn’t be forgotten. They’re best of the rest in a third rate league. That’s a poor result tonight no matter what way you look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

monkey9 wrote: »

This is a hilariously bad take.

Robertson didn't foul him. He launched himself before Robertson even got to him. Even after he took flight the contact was very minimal.

This is the sort of thing VAR should be sorting out in 10 seconds but instead because they are afraid to upset the refs they add the "clear and obvious" adjoiner which only prevents them from coming to the correct decision. I don't blame the ref because it probably looked like a penalty to him but it only took one quick look at the replay to see it wasn't.

Unfortunately VAR as currently constituted is not fit for purpose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fair few chances, none taken.
    Couple of mistakes by us in the last 10 that lead to the 2 goals.

This should be our toughest game in the group out of the way.

Prefer to lose a C.L. game tgan a league game. We did ok last year considering our away form.
    Plenty of games to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Thought Pool were OK tonight. Front 3 a little off of it, and nearly got in a few times, only for the touch to be slightly awry.
    Thought we tired in the last half hour, and the tank was empty when the first goal went in. Penalty was harsh, but Robbo was caught a bit flatfooted and was punished harshly. Napoli were good on the night, very physical. Game could have went either way, not a disaster by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just saw highlights but one of the best saves you'll ever see from Adrian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

That 19 year at Salzburg has 17 goals in 9 games now after his hat trick tonight

Not bad. He’s the same height as Virgil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

He dived into the air and kicked the back of Robbos leg. Absolute dive. VAR has had a mare tonight and on Saturday regarding pens. Either use it correctly or don't use it.

Shockingly bad. Doubling down as well.

Defending a lad who was airborne before contact.

Don't blame the ref. Looked a penalty in real time. Surely Var is there to correct it. Book the diver and move on. Should take 30 seconds.

• Advertisement

Front three made some poor decisions in some very good positions. Nothing to worry about really, thought we probably shaded it up to the penalty. Some better decision making and we'd have scored a few I think, a far better performance than when we played them last year. Hopefully we'll bounce back on Sunday, no room for too many poor performances in the league unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Is it too early to consider throwing the Champions League to concentrate on the league?

Robertson didn't foul him. He launched himself before Robertson even got to him. Even after he took flight the contact was very minimal.

This is the sort of thing VAR should be sorting out in 10 seconds but instead because they are afraid to upset the refs they add the "clear and obvious" adjoiner which only prevents them from coming to the correct decision. I don't blame the ref because it probably looked like a penalty to him but it only took one quick look at the replay to see it wasn't.

So should the Napoli player just run into Robertson's leg? Risk injury? Jump over the leg to help Robertson out from his error?

I know that Napoli player has gone down easily. I know what's happened. But that's a foul anywhere on the pitch. Putting a leg out like that in the box is ridiculous. I know it's a tired effort, but unless you win the ball, it's tough.

I feel you're getting VAR wrong here as it's not a clear and obvious error so there is nothing to overrule. There are plenty of referees who'll explain to you how that is a penalty.

monkey9 wrote:
    There literally doesn't have to be contact for a foul to occur anywhere on the pitch.

The lad was airborne before he came near Robertson.

Obvious dive. Conned the ref.

Should have been a yellow and free out on review.

Your interpretation is bizarre.

..... Even after he took flight the contact was very minimal.

Contact you say... And he didn't get the ball first?

We've gone from blaming divers to blaming players who someone dives against.

That seems a weird hill to die on for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Got caught out with a couple of mistakes. Tremendous save from Salah a few minutes before. Tough atmosphere and a great coach capable of making adjustments to win a game.

Just have to pick back up the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It was probably a pen, lazy defending perhaps. Another ref, free out and a yellow.

But if Salah had done the same, it would have been considered a dive by many.

Hard to say really, especially givenhbow many in here fall either side of the decision.

Well the referees who reviewed the incident don't agree with you.

Look, nobody's going to change minds here i suppose. You don't feel it's a penalty, i do. I don't feel we've been robbed at all.

We can go back and forth, but my opinion is there in black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Positives were Adrian, Matip, Van Dijk & Fabinho. Henderson did ok. The rest had a rare off night which is inevitable from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It was the tactics Napoli were playing in the 2nd half run into players and over act any contact and the ref bought it. Leg was left out by a tired defender and the attacker took full advantage, harsh pen but we thought VAR was meant to sort those issues out but we know they don’t going from the Super Cup final and the game at the weekend

Positives were Adrian, Matip, Van Dijk & Fabinho. Henderson did ok. The rest had a rare off night which is inevitable from time to time.

Didn't pass it well but I thought Trent had a great game defensively, kept Insigne completely silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

2 of our most reliable players made mistakes leading to goals, we created plenty of good moves but the final pass didn't come off, just wasn't our night. It actually reminded me off the 1st leg against Barca. That lad Koulibaly is a fantastic defender he different to Virgil, alot more action and tackles doesn't have his reading of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Positives out of the way:Fabinho, Matip, Adrian.

Left back is a major worry. Robertson's game is high energy up and down the pitch. He cant be expected to play every game this season. Cover is limited in this position. He was definitely not 100% fit tonight. And we need him firing next Sunday @ Chelsea.

Firmino was equally off, after a sensational weekend performance. He played more minutes v Newcastle due to Origi injury and probably tired legs again showed. Poor touches and misplaced passed were surprising.

Milner lack of pace sadly is catching up on him. Would be worried too if he was LB cover. Wijnaldum needs to start the big games. He should be fresh for Chelsea at least.

The worst performance of the night though was Ronnie Whelan. If ever a reason was needed to not pay towards the RTE license fee, look no further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

It's a definite pen I watched it over a good few times now, he nipped the ball away from robo who missed the ball and left his leg out making contact with his leg, the Napoli player wasn't airborne before the contact was made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Lads any of ye concerned we have no direct replacement for robbo? If he is out for a period of time the team will be a little imbalanced I feel.
    Also still not happy we don’t have a proper replacement for up front
    Origi is hit and miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Lads any of ye concerned we have no direct replacement for robbo? If he is out for a period of time the team will be a little imbalanced I feel.
    Also still not happy we don’t have a proper replacement for up front
    Origi is hit and miss

Yeah bit worried about cover for robbo alright,milner and Gomez might do a job there but won't offer as much going forward so teams can concentrate on stopping Trent bombing forward,robbo will need a rest at some stage or he could pick up a serious injury

Anybody could pick up a freak injury but we've done a really good job putting together a squad of players who rarely do get injured, it's a credit to our scouting and coaches for finding and keeping these lads fit.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    It's a definite pen I watched it over a good few times now, he nipped the ball away from robo who missed the ball and left his leg out making contact with his leg, the Napoli player wasn't airborne before the contact was made

Or a more accurate reading of it is the Napoli knew the ball had got away from him, felt Robertson approaching, launched himself forward and instigated very slight contact with Robertson around the hip area. At which point the Napoli player was already at 45 degree angle half airborne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Positives out of the way:Fabinho, Matip, Adrian.

Left back is a major worry. Robertson's game is high energy up and down the pitch. He cant be expected to play every game this season. Cover is limited in this position. He was definitely not 100% fit tonight. And we need him firing next Sunday @ Chelsea.

Firmino was equally off, after a sensational weekend performance. He played more minutes v Newcastle due to Origi injury and probably tired legs again showed. Poor touches and misplaced passed were surprising.

Milner lack of pace sadly is catching up on him. Would be worried too if he was LB cover. Wijnaldum needs to start the big games. He should be fresh for Chelsea at least.

The worst performance of the night though was Ronnie Whelan. If ever a reason was needed to not pay towards the RTE license fee, look no further.

Considering it was on Virgin who don't get any of the licence fee it wouldn't make a difference ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement