Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Considering it was on Virgin who don't get any of the licence fee it wouldn't make a difference ;)

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Lads any of ye concerned we have no direct replacement for robbo? If he is out for a period of time the team will be a little imbalanced I feel.
    Also still not happy we don’t have a proper replacement for up front
    Origi is hit and miss

A little bit, yeah. When he missed training the other day i was thinking about who would play tonight if he wasn't fit and all i could think of was Milner and Gomez and they're not great options at this stage.

It's a weird one, left back is a bit like the goalkeeping situation. You can have a world class one, but you can't have two and the drop off is steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Considering it was on Virgin who don't get any of the licence fee it wouldn't make a difference ;)

I watched it on RTE2..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

shamrock55 wrote: »
    It's a definite pen I watched it over a good few times now, he nipped the ball away from robo who missed the ball and left his leg out making contact with his leg, the Napoli player wasn't airborne before the contact was made

He absolutely was airborne before the contact.

I'm just not sure that isn't a peno in the modern game sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Lads any of ye concerned we have no direct replacement for robbo? If he is out for a period of time the team will be a little imbalanced I feel.
    Also still not happy we don’t have a proper replacement for up front
    Origi is hit and miss

No forward option outside Origi is massive as is no creative goalscoring option in midfield. Baffled Liverpool didn't invest heavily in those two keys areas this summer.

Almost 34 year old Milner and Henderson starting together in midfield had to give opposition a boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Or a more accurate reading of it is the Napoli knew the ball had got away from him, felt Robertson approaching, launched himself forward and instigated very slight contact with Robertson around the hip area. At which point the Napoli player was already at 45 degree angle half airborne.

Jesus fella get a grip, it was a pen get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I watched it on RTE2..

I watched it on BT and I was also flicking through the channels and saw it on Virgin I just assumed that was there game of the night not RTE's it must have been the Virgin pay channel i flicked onto so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

None of the 4 pot 1 teams won their games tonight. Only Ajax won from pot 2 outside of our game

Long way to go

So we lost 6 of our last 8 away games in the Champions League goes to show they don't really matter for much since we made the last two finals.

So we lost 6 of our last 8 away games in the Champions League goes to show they don't really matter for much since we made the last two finals.

Thing is it puts massive pressure on us to win our home games, we can't rely on the anfield factor all of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

monkey9 wrote: »
    Jesus, we just can't score in Naples. Tonight, a 1-0 defeat last year and i think we drew nil all there under Hodgson.

See Naples and die...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

I must have jinxed us by going to the pub. What a grim nightmare :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thing is it puts massive pressure on us to win our home games, we can't rely on the anfield factor all of the time

True enough... I don't think that trend will continue though. Away to Napoli is bloody hard at the best of times, but despite what happened in last year's group stage, you'd have to be fairly confident of getting 2 away wins from the other 2 games. Looking forward to seeing Haaland against VVD though, should be interesting. Kid's a giant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I see it as only defeat in group. We'll gather points in the rest, it's good that Napoli are strong. They'll beat everyone too.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    True enough... I don't think that trend will continue though. Away to Napoli is bloody hard at the best of times, but despite what happened in last year's group stage, you'd have to be fairly confident of getting 2 away wins from the other 2 games. Looking forward to seeing Haaland against VVD though, should be interesting. Kid's a giant!

If he can hold his own against VVD and Koulibaly in this group then the lad will have a few clubs looking even closer at him over the coming months.

If he can hold his own against VVD and Koulibaly in this group then the lad will have a few clubs looking even closer at him over the coming months.

Wonder if Man City will have a bit of an inside track on him cause of his Dad.

Wonder if Man City will have a bit of an inside track on him cause of his Dad.

Klopp might have an inside track as well since he was tracking Mane and Keita since their days at Salzburg he seems to know that club well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I see it as only defeat in group. We'll gather points in the rest, it's good that Napoli are strong. They'll beat everyone too.

Did they not make an arse of one or two games last season which lead to such a tight final match day? They're fallible.

We played well in the 1st half and had the front 3 been on their game we would have got a goal or two. No excuse for what happened though in the second half as they went to sh1t.

Liverpool fan in hospital after being attacked by Napoli fans at half time.

Peter Moore is in the hospital with him.

https://twitter.com/PeterMooreLFC/status/1174109274999578625?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

No complaints about the penalty, or indeed VAR. I'm not a fan of it at all but at least this 'clear and obvious error' adjunct, has reined it in a bit.

Fabinho was excellent once again - it's amazing that this time last year he was nowhere to be seen.

Adrián didn't deserve to be on the losing side, he even came close to saving the penalty. I said last night to my mate, while watching that match that I wouldn't swop him for €250k a week De Gea - I'd had a couple of beers though.

I still think both teams last night will come out of the Group, Napoli are a very good looking side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Liverpool fan in hospital after being attacked by Napoli fans at half time.

Peter Moore is in the hospital with him.

https://twitter.com/PeterMooreLFC/status/1174109274999578625?s=20

Jesus christ, WTF is wrong with certain Italian football fans...

Vicxas wrote: »
    Jesus christ, WTF is wrong with certain Italian football fans...

It's unbelievable! Moise Kean's captain telling him not to make such a big deal out of the racist abuse he was getting last season. The ultras of Lukaku's own club coming to the defence of a rivals relentless racist abuse of him on the pitch with a long open letter, saying it's not really racism, it's just gamesmanship.

That league has serious issues deeply embedded in its culture that they're just refusing to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It's unbelievable! Moise Kean's captain telling him not to make such a big deal out of the racist abuse he was getting last season. The ultras of Lukaku's own club coming to the defence of a rivals relentless racist abuse of him on the pitch with a long open letter, saying it's not really racism, it's just gamesmanship.

That league has serious issues deeply embedded in its culture that they're just refusing to deal with.

Wasnt an official of Inter sacked for saying the only way to stop Lukaku is to throw Bananas at him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Did they not make an arse of one or two games last season which lead to such a tight final match day? They're fallible.

We played well in the 1st half and had the front 3 been on their game we would have got a goal or two. No excuse for what happened though in the second half as they went to sh1t.

We were very poor away last year. I think the approach going into these games from the squad is not the full 100%, mentally - in other words, they know they can afford to drop points and still get through. From 6 away games in the CL last year, we lost 4. Compare that with 1 defeat in 19 away games in the PL.

The main difference this year though, is instead of playing PSG and Belgrade, we're playing Salzburg and Genk. A point in Germany wouldn't be the worst result even if we're aiming for all 3, but it shouldn't be a problem getting the win at Genk.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wasnt an official of Inter sacked for saying the only way to stop Lukaku is to throw Bananas at him?

No, it was a pundit on Italian TV.

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    We were very poor away last year. I think the approach going into these games from the squad is not the full 100%, mentally - in other words, they know they can afford to drop points and still get through. From 6 away games in the CL last year, we lost 4. Compare that with 1 defeat in 19 away games in the PL.

The main difference this year though, is instead of playing PSG and Belgrade, we're playing Salzburg and Genk. A point in Germany wouldn't be the worst result even if we're aiming for all 3, but it shouldn't be a problem getting the win at Genk.

We'll be doing some job to get a bonus point in Germany without even playing any German teams :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Disappointing result last night, Napoli proving to have a little bit of a jinx on us.

Great display from Adrian would be the main positive, superb save in the 2nd half, some poster might have thought he should have held on to it though and not conceded the corner!:pac:

Fabinho and Henderson were decent enough too, the front 3 all off their game, Firmino in particular had one of 'those' games, still, he's getting more consistency these days.

If we had won last night or even drawn all we be talking about today would've been Adrian's save, it's one of the best saves I've seen in years tbh, outstanding it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

I think it was Owl on here that made the great call that we should sign Adrian when it was announced that Mignolet was leaving. Fair play he has do a great job.

We'll be doing some job to get a bonus point in Germany without even playing any German teams :pac:

Germany Lite :D

• Advertisement

If we had won last night or even drawn all we be talking about today would've been Adrian's save, it's one of the best saves I've seen in years tbh, outstanding it was
    I think it was Owl on here that made the great call that we should sign Adrian when it was announced that Mignolet was leaving. Fair play he has do a great job.

Agreed. Adrian has done really well since coming in when you consider the following;

a) Didn't have a pre-season at all so is still getting his fitness levels right.
    b) Made his debut only a few days after joining the club, replacing the world's best keeper for the European Champions (no pressure!), so is still getting used to his team-mates, the teams style of play and what's expected of him in terms of distribution. You can see that he's learning quickly.
    c) Got crocked by the fan after saving the penalty against Chelsea and played with painkilling injections a few days later against Southampton. The team was under instructions from Klopp not to be playing him the ball as a result of his injury. The team gave him loads of back-passes anyway, one of which led to his mistake.
    d) Worldie of a save last night - hung in the air like Michael Jordan, never seen anything like it. Had we not lost, it would've been all about that save.
    e) Seems sound, like a lad who really appreciates the opportunity.

Obviously Alisson comes back in when fit, but so far Adrian has shown more than Ming ever has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Anyway on to Chelsea now this Sunday. Hopefully kante and rudiger will still be missing for them and I see that mount picked up an injury last night for them. He's been in great form.

Kante ran the show against us in the super cup final so if he's out I think we dominate the middle of the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ricero wrote: »
    Anyway on to Chelsea now this Sunday. Hopefully kante and rudiger will still be missing for them and I see that mount picked up an injury last night for them. He's been in great form.

Kante ran the show against us in the super cup final so if he's out I think we dominate the middle of the park.

Rudiger played last weekend against Wolves so I'd say he'll play against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Bit of a flat performance last night but nothing to panic about really at this stage.

Out of all our games so far this season this was the one we could most afford to lose.

Adrian was impressive - should give him confidence for the next few games hopefully.

The front three were a bit frustrating alright - a few sloppy final balls in good positions....again would rather them butchering a few chances last night rather than against Chelsea at the weekend.

re: the penalty - sure, the Napoli fella sought out the contact but Robertson should never have put himself in that position. The fact that there wasn't even a mild protest from Robbo or any other Liverpool player is quite telling imho

Anybody could pick up a freak injury but we've done a really good job putting together a squad of players who rarely do get injured, it's a credit to our scouting and coaches for finding and keeping these lads fit.

Matip, Lovren, Ox, Keita, Lallana and Shaqiri all say hello.
    Our keeper is currently out injured........ our reserve forward didn't travel to last night's game.
    The squad isn't bionic............ no freak injuries either. ............ 5 of the 6 I've listed are injured more often then not (I don't mean that 100% literally but I reckon it's not far off from being factual)
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    No forward option outside Origi is massive as is no creative goalscoring option in midfield. Baffled Liverpool didn't invest heavily in those two keys areas this summer.

Shaqiri is a creative option in midfield.

It really is great to see that the CEO of the club Peter Moore was in the hospital with the fan who was assaulted last night. I don't know many CEO's who would actually do that to be honest.

After what happened Sean Cox and how the he and club dealt with that and now this Peter Moore is showing himself to be a true and fitting leader of the club.

Yea, hats off to Peter Moore, great thing to do in fairness

I know I was calling for Heaton to be the new back up keeper, Adrian never crossed my mind and when he signed I was a bit underwhelmed.

The lad has taken his chance and done a top notch job just what you want and need from your back up keeper.

Still can't wait for Ali to get back in the first team.

I'd like to see Kelleher get a chance in the MK Dons game

Maybe let Kelleher be the league cup keeper, Adrian be the FA Cup keeper as well as the back up first choice keeper once Ali is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I initially thought it was lucky, but it was like Peter Schmeichel in his hey-day, coming out all limbs out and making it very difficult for the ball to not hit some part of him...

I know I was calling for Heaton to be the new back up keeper, Adrian never crossed my mind and when he signed I was a bit underwhelmed.

The lad has taken his chance and done a top notch job just what you want and need from your back up keeper.

Still can't wait for Ali to get back in the first team.

I'd like to see Kelleher get a chance in the MK Dons game

Maybe let Kelleher be the league cup keeper, Adrian be the FA Cup keeper as well as the back up first choice keeper once Ali is back.

I said Pope myself over Heaton, one of the 3 at Burnley was always gonna leave and I prefer Pope. But Adrian has been superb.

I think he deserves both domestic trophies, and we want to win everything we can! Plus he'd be an experienced head if we are playing a lot of kids in defence (Sepp, Larouchi, Hoever, Lovren :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Augeo wrote: »
    Matip, Lovren, Ox, Keita, Lallana and Shaqiri all say hello.
    Our keeper is currently out injured........ our reserve forward didn't travel to last night's game.
    The squad isn't bionic............ no freak injuries either. ............ 5 of the 6 I've listed are injured more often then not (I don't mean that 100% literally but I reckon it's not far off from being factual)

Shaqiri is a creative option in midfield.

sure we have lallana

sure we have lallana

Sure he's a #6 now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

10 times the keeper that Mignolet was, he'll make an error like most keepers but he has the head for big moments and pulls off some great saves. Really happy with his signing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Strange game last night, we just looked zapped of energy and too many mistakes up front, things just didn't click.
    Fair play to Napoli though, they figured out where our big hole was and exploited it.

Lots to learn from that and hopefully we bounce back now this weekend quickly.

The temperature was high 20's and the humidity in the 70% range from weather reports they all looked like the were sweating buckets and heavy legged.

Liverpool not playing in that kind of weather week in week out would have also benefited Napoli the longer the game went which showed I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Strange game last night, we just looked zapped of energy and too many mistakes up front, things just didn't click.
    Fair play to Napoli though, they figured out where our big hole was and exploited it.

I don't think we played that badly to be honest. Just not clinical as usual up front. Last year we barely got out of our own half all game. Probably deserved a draw on the balance of play last night but obviously the penalty was one of those things. You're chasing the game after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It just reminded me of the Barca game nothing came off for us, fully confident we'll slap them at home

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I also feel we played well enough considering such a hostile place and the conditions.
    However we did drop off the concentration levels late on but before that we just did not click.
    Fabinho and Adrian were excellent throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Fab has really excelled in his position insofar as I think he is now undroppable in big games.

Adrian has done really well but Alisson is still a step up on him.

Still can't get over Ronnie saying that Mane deliberately sabotaged a pass for Mo. Such a childish accusation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

If you're going to have a bad day at the office, do it in a group stage match where top two teams go through.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement