Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Awoniyi has joined Mainz on loan for the season.
    Any indication if that brings him any closer to getting a work permit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I'd take him back in a heart beat on loan no bother. People seem to have it in for him over the way he left, personally couldn't care less about it, he'd be a serious addition to the squad, he's still a great baller.

Lose out on 20m(irrelevant if he is signed by someone else )27m fee and 12/15m in wages. I think we would want to be very sure he would be in the starting lineup. The stats before he left showed the team performance was better when he wasn't in it,haven't watched much Barcelona but presume they feel they are better without him also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Lose out on 20m(irrelevant if he is signed by someone else )27m fee and 12/15m in wages. I think we would want to be very sure he would be in the starting lineup. The stats before he left showed the team performance was better when he wasn't in it

It's even better when he's playing on the other team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think Barca can only possibly owe Liverpool, at most, £9m more for Coutinho, and £4.5m of this is still attainable if Coutinho leaves this window (I think).

The breakdown was £106m paid upfront, with £36m in attainable addons.

Barca paid £4.5 for qualification for the 2018/2019 CL.
    Barca paid £4.5 for qualification for the 2019/2020 CL.
    Barca will pay £4.5 every 25 games. He has played 75 games for Barca, so they have payed £13.5.

That is £22.5m so far we have received in add-ons to date, plus the initial £106m, so that is £128.5m total that Barca have paid to Liverpool so far.

The other money that is attainable is £4.5m if Coutinho plays 25 more games for Barca, and another £4.5m if they win the 2019/2020 CL.

Barca would have had to pay another £4.5 for winning the 2018/2019 CL, but of course they didn't as some team in red knocked them out and won it themselves. This is now unattainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't even think they would stomach letting him go on loan to us, not just because of the fee they paid but Liverpool are back to CL finalists and current champions, strengthening the best performing team in the CL over 2 seasons wouldn't be wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Again, take him in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Signed up to The Athletic very impressed I have to say so far got the free months trial and 50% off for the year if I want to continue after the free month.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I think Barca can only possibly owe Liverpool, at most, £9m more for Coutinho, and £4.5m of this is still attainable if Coutinho leaves this window (I think).

Barca will pay £4.5 every 25 games. He has played 75 games for Barca, so they have payed £13.5.

That is £22.5m so far we have received in add-ons to date, plus the initial £106m, so that is £128.5m total that Barca have paid to Liverpool so far.

The other money that is attainable is £4.5m if Coutinho plays 25 more games for Barca, and another £4.5m if they win the 2019/2020 CL.

Barca would have had to pay another £4.5 for winning the 2018/2019 CL, but of course they didn't as some team in red knocked them out and won it themselves. This is now unattainable.

Maybe, some versions of the deal say there is 17.5 million sterling due when he makes 100 appearances for Barcelona, 81 so far.I realise that paper doesn't refuse ink but that is what was in the latest newspaper article I read on it .

The BBC are reported Wilson has completed his medical ahead of his loan move to Bournemouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ballyargus wrote: »
    Brewster better be the next coming of Fowler tbh

I know this is a bit tongue in cheek, but we do need to keep in mind that we have 3 world class forwards... it's not quite the same as when we had Torres alone with a big drop down. I know those 3 of ours all play every game, but any 2 of those 3 with Origi or Brewster is still very good. With our backup options as they stand, we can still at least play in the same way.

I'm more worried about the fullbacks, as any injury there and we have to fundamentally change the way the team plays.

Actually Ayew might be a decent shout for a cheap cover for the front three.

Wanted us to give him a shot when he wanted to join years ago, but now I don't think he offers anything Origi doesn't and Origi will get more goals.
    Liam Millar has gone to Kilmarnock on a season long loan.

The Scottish league seems to the level for most of these young lads.

Wilson being the exception as a Championship player.

I guess for what the youth system does, that really is enough. If you end up with an academy where a decent few of your players are good enough to be sold to Scottish or Championship clubs, you effectively pay off the whole program and totally justify its continued existence. I think the aspect of having a top top level young player come through that can play in the first team - like TAA - is more in hope than expectation, and is a total bonus when it happens. I think we forget a little bit sometime just how high the bar is for a player to make it at Liverpool... they really have to be in the very top top top bracket of young players worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ah I'd be disappointed seen spurs sign him, he's still a top player. Doubt we will try for him but would be a huge boost if we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Is the shalke match on any channel?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I think we forget a little bit sometime just how high the bar is for a player to make it at Liverpool... they really have to be in the very top top top bracket of young players worldwide.

That bar is high now thanks to Klopp and what he has brought to the club, However between Rafa and Klopp that bar really wasn't that high under Kenny, Roy & Rodgers when you look at the majority of players they signed really more than just mid table players to be.

So it was easy for fans to forget in that decade what it takes to be a Liverpool player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Is the shalke match on any channel?

Cancelled ages ago. No more friendlies

Bloody hell, we really took them to the cleaners with that deal. Superb business.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

So we have agreed to sell Fab to Real Madrid for £60m.

lol

His wife doesn't think much of the rumour...

https://twitter.com/reebecatavares/status/1158796002633142272

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If Klopp would be happy to have him back then I would trust him to have done the work behind the scenes to ensure it was a success, and I would be delighted to see him.

There would be no question he would strengthen the squad.

I don't think we'd sign him if he was looking for crazy money. I don't think we'd sign him if we were being expected to play him every match. We also wouldn't bother if Klopp thought he would create issues of squad harmony.

Truly, I don't think we know any of how those factors would play out, but I trust Klopp to.

I'd be amazed if it happened though. I can't see us pulling a fast one before the window closes.

Wilson to Bournemouth confirmed season long loan.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1158814817421070343?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1162512/Tottenham-64-5m-bid-Juventus-Paulo-Dybala-Man-Utd-transfer-news

Dybala off to Spurs according to this. If they get Coutinho too they'd be a real threat in Tit Race

• Advertisement

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49254092

"Everyone wants new players coming in and sometimes it's not possible," said Robertson. "We have a very good squad. We don't want to be a team that only won the Champions League.

"We want to leave a legacy and win more trophies. We can only do that by having the same application and mentality as we did last season."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Spurs signing Dybala.

Sneaky bid for Eriksen...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

8-10 wrote: »
    Spurs signing Dybala.

They reckon he'll go to UTD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Vicxas wrote: »
    They reckon he'll go to UTD

They will be the only ones willing to pay the fee Spurs will ask for.

City, Liverpool or Arsenal won't pay that money for him nor do they need him. Chelsea probably would have if they weren't banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Super-Rush wrote: »
    They will be the only ones willing to pay the fee Spurs will ask for.

City, Liverpool or Arsenal won't pay that money for him nor do they need him. Chelsea probably would have if they weren't banned.

Would it not be a big step down for Erikson to go to utd,no champions league and I think he is 27 so should be hitting the prime of his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://www.instagram.com/p/B01iYHphkKE/?igshid=xv9ck05d6yw7

New Mane ad and nope, no new signing as rumoured...

Would it not be a big step down for Erikson to go to utd,no champions league and I think he is 27 so should be hitting the prime of his career

Yeah, I think if a champions league contender doesn't come in for him, he'll just hang out for a year and join Madrid or Barca on a free next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

8-10 wrote: »
    Spurs signing Dybala.

Plot twist we sign Dybala!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Big step down ?
    You do realise there was life on earth before 2018 ?

Big step down ?
    You do realise there was life on earth before 2018 ?

In the grand scheme of things, Utd are obviously a massive club. But right now, they're at close to their lowest ebb in 30 years. For a player, all they can really consider is the 'right now'.

For Eriksen, he's wanted by both Barca and Madrid (and every other top team), but not at the price Levy is looking for. He's available on a free next year. So he could join a Utd team that isn't challenging in England or Europe, or he could hang out for just 1 year at a club that actually is challenging in both, and then go to one of the worlds top teams for his last big contract next summer.

So dybala and cout to spurs.

Erikson to utd (a weird one)

Can't help but be a little jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Love the last bit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

noodler wrote: »

Yeah I wasn't bothered really by our lack of transfer activity but with Arsenal last week and City, Utd and Spurs this week I'm starting to feel left out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

noodler wrote: »

Yeh, I would too except none of this has happened, and would take a miracle to pull all that off with 2 days to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Klopp is quite rare? With transfers. It was van dijk or nobody for example, he's willing to deal with what he has unless he can get the player he wants despite the fact he's looking to upgrade on them. Other managers have a plan B or C (see Rodgers regime) but it's whoever Klopp wants or stay put it seems.

On other clubs transfers, it looks like it's gonna be a busy last couple days especially for spurs and united so that will be interesting. I think Klopp is completely vindicated in not wanting cout back given the fiasco he left and the fact we reached two European cup finals, winning one obviously since he left. I've often questioned klopps thinking and plans but he always comes out in the end as being right so I'm just gonna be OK with what he's doing this summer.

Without a doubt, we have to trust Klopp. He did it at Dortmund, and he's done it with us. He'd rather stick than twist. He builds rapport with players, he knows they'll be ready when called upon. We are just the FM generation and need transfers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Find the transfer activity a bit baffling this summer tbh. Even the outgoings. The bosman's should have been sold already same with Clyne who got injured after we played him so will leave for nothing next summer. Signing Adrian should have happened 6 weeks ago instead we gave Mignolet games and brought a goalie who was a free agent to the states for a glorified holiday. Even Mignolet we got the bare minimum fee for him at the end of the day. Wilson going on a flat loan with no obligation to buy which even we got with Danny Ings.
    The lack of incomings then....if there is one thing our preseason showed was the disparity between the starting XI and our squad. People can say Klopp likes to wait for his signings but the only thing that held up Van Dijk then was waiting to sell Coutinho we still paid the quoted fee to Southampton anyway.
    But if you can't sign a senior player after you win the Champions League and even just the financial windfall of just playing in the Premier League I don't know when you can. I can see us not buying in January as usually it's dead unless you lose a key player so potentially we could go 2 years without signing a player who could make the senior team which is odd for a team who just made 2 Champions League finals the last 15 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

It’s definitely a bit frustrating looking at others around us improve but they will have their issues integrating their new players too.

It would be nice to have a new signing though...push on from a strong position. Klopp seems to trust his squad and I guess we’ll just have to as well.

However, It won’t look good if one of the front three get injured and Klopp talks about not being able to predict injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Must admit when the rumours of Coutinho to Arsenal were about I wasn't that bothered at all, now that it is to Spurs I am as he would seriously improve that team. If they landed both him and Dybala they will have strengthened significantly.

brevity wrote: »
    However, It won’t look good if one of the front three get injured and Klopp talks about not being able to predict injuries.

Yeh, then we will only have Origi, Shaq, Brewster, Kent and potentially Ox and Gini to call upon...

People were obsessed with getting a new LB for months, then Larouchi plays a few pre season games, and now it's all good. Same with Hoever for RB.
    We are easily frustrated and easily placated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

ERG89 wrote: »
    Find the transfer activity a bit baffling this summer tbh. Even the outgoings. The bosman's should have been sold already same with Clyne who got injured after we played him so will leave for nothing next summer. Signing Adrian should have happened 6 weeks ago instead we gave Mignolet games and brought a goalie who was a free agent to the states for a glorified holiday. Even Mignolet we got the bare minimum fee for him at the end of the day. Wilson going on a flat loan with no obligation to buy which even we got with Danny Ings.
    The lack of incomings then....if there is one thing our preseason showed was the disparity between the starting XI and our squad. People can say Klopp likes to wait for his signings but the only thing that held up Van Dijk then was waiting to sell Coutinho we still paid the quoted fee to Southampton anyway.
    But if you can't sign a senior player after you win the Champions League and even just the financial windfall of just playing in the Premier League I don't know when you can. I can see us not buying in January as usually it's dead unless you lose a key player so potentially we could go 2 years without signing a player who could make the senior team which is odd for a team who just made 2 Champions League finals the last 15 months.

I won't reply to all of this but just a few points...

- the club was happy for Mignolet to stay. By all accounts, he was happy too until this specific deal came up. I don't see any issue with letting a player who wants to leave go. Adding Adrian so quickly is pretty good too - no faffing about. No sub goalie signing is ever going to be exciting.
    - the bosmans - again, it has been reported that the club wanted to keep Moreno. God knows why but he turned us down and left. Why would they sell a player last year that they wanted to keep?
    - Wilson with no obligation to buy - surely that's in case he has a good season and we want to keep him after? Obligation to buy removes the power from us entirely unless we include a buy back which, you'd imagine, would have to be higher than any selling fee... Tbh I'm surprised Bournemouth agreed to that deal. It doesn't seem to benefit them really. They do the hard work developing him and we reap the reward either by selling or keeping him in a year.
    - and on the final point of going two years without signing a player being strange for a team who just made two champions league finals... Surely that's why the club didn't see the need to? We just made two CL finals after all!

I don't entirely think our business has been perfect by any stretch but we lost nobody, we added some young talent and the pathway to the first team is there for the fringe players and the young players. People are obsessed with signing players to the point that we almost forget that they are people not commodities - this is about their working environment too. Klopp coming along and shredding a successful dressing room to add players who would play 20 or so games next season and cost €50-100m would upset our balance.

Sure, injuries could be costly but every team faces that. Are City fans panicked about the fact that they are very short on CBs, for example?

I'm just not sure it's worth stressing over. I'm not blindly saying "in klopp we trust" or any nonsense like that but this squad of players and this coaching staff proved themselves a cut above almost every one last season and maintaining that is surely more important than adding a new player and potentially upsetting it all.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Must admit when the rumours of Coutinho to Arsenal were about I wasn't that bothered at all, now that it is to Spurs I am as he would seriously improve that team. If they landed both him and Dybala they will have strengthened significantly.

With their wage structure, they would blow it up if they signed either. They have c. 10 of the first team squad on 80k basic or less. I think only Shaq and maybe Gini on in that bracket.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Without a doubt, we have to trust Klopp. He did it at Dortmund, and he's done it with us. He'd rather stick than twist. He builds rapport with players, he knows they'll be ready when called upon. We are just the FM generation and need transfers!

Close down the thread.

We all trust Klopp.

No need for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

With their wage structure, they would blow it up if they signed either. They have c. 10 of the first team squad on 80k basic or less. I think only Shaq and maybe Gini on in that bracket.

Gini is surely due a big contract bump soon if he's on that wage.
    I was chatting to a utd fan last week and discussing who we'd take from the other team that was realistic. He chose Gini, reckoned he was the most underrated player in the league.
    My pick was Martial, but stated that he was to be cover for the front 3, not a starter. He didn't like that as supposedly he's better than Mané. I got a giggle from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If Coutinho does end up at Spurs it'll be interesting to see what wage he is on. His Barca wage is reported as €200k a week but he'll have to take a cut. I think if he can be got for €150k a week we should consider taking him back. He is on record as saying he wants to come back and Klopp has said he is too expensive which seems to suggest that he would like him back if the money was right. Id say Phil would take a lesser wage to come back to us rather than Spurs. He'd also be coming back with a point to prove.

A front set of Son, Kane, Deli Alli, Coutinho and Dybala would be seriously frightening.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If Coutinho does end up at Spurs it'll be interesting to see what wage he is on. His Barca wage is reported as €200k a week but he'll have to take a cut. I think if he can be got for €150k a week we should consider taking him back. He is on record as saying he wants to come back and Klopp has said he is too expensive which seems to suggest that he would like him back if the money was right. Id say Phil would take a lesser wage to come back to us rather than Spurs. He'd also be coming back with a point to prove.

A front set of Son, Kane, Deli Alli, Coutinho and Dybala would be seriously frightening.

I doubt that he will take less than he has a contract for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Whatever about Spurs getting Phil or Dybala, I can't see them getting both... Big money on wages for both and then transfer/loan fees. 60/70m odd for Dybala and a reported 25/27m loan fee for Phil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think the players going to Everton are hearing "you will be living in Liverpool", and they think "I am playing for Liverpool"

Until they get there...…..

The United transfers can only be about money ????

I am satisfied with our squad. More good times ahead.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement