Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I didn't think NB would go that high to a billion over 10 years the kit must be a huge seller for them.

Last seasons kit was the biggest seller in our history. I'd say it's probably one of the biggest things on New Balance's books, if not the biggest.

I don't really care what logo is on the shirt but the club seems concerned about distribution channels - Nike have a bigger reach - so it makes sense why they'd want to switch if the money on offer is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The last two seasons the kits have sold out early enough in the season.

Even the delays in shipping the CL winners kits show the new balance are lacking in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Turtyturd wrote: »
    New balance launching a court action saying the club are refusing to let them match the Nike offer.
    Source?

E: NVM The Athletic are running it.

From the article in The Athletic its saying that NB are adamant they have the clause to match any rival, LFC say this is not the case.

They have already designed the 3 kits for 20-21 season as well.

With regard to club figures they list the following deals per season.

Barca £100m (Nike)
    Real £98m (Adidas)
    Man Utd £75m (Adidas)
    Arsenal £60m (Adidas)
    Chelsea £60m (Nike)
    Man City £50m (Puma)

I actually think our deal should be worth more than the rumoured £75m per season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I didn't think NB would go that high to a billion over 10 years the kit must be a huge seller for them.

As much as anything, losing us would really remind that they are still small fry compared to Nike and Adidas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Liverpool are saying that New Balance fall down on matching the finer details, distribution reach (as mentioned above), percentage of merchandise going to the club, being able to sell products in LFC stores and a few other bits. It's not just about the headline figure. I don't think they'll win their case.

• Advertisement

Right now, we are the beautiful club.

More than City (where the ME funding and lack of personalities make them less attractive), more that PSG (lacking in history and class), both Barca and Real struggling.

We have stars from Europe, Africa, South America. We are young, successful, social media-savvy, and international. And we have perhaps the most charismatic and likable manager in World Sport. And we are US owned. I am sure potential bidders have gotten assurances from the owners that they are in for the long haul.

So for Nike, this is a no brainer.

Wheety wrote: »
    Liverpool are saying that New Balance fall down on matching the finer details, distribution reach (as mentioned above), percentage of merchandise going to the club, being able to sell products in LFC stores and a few other bits. It's not just about the headline figure. I don't think they'll win their case.

Even if they are allowed to match the offer, I am sure we still get to decide which offer we ultimately accept...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Dickerty wrote: »
    Even if they are allowed to match the offer, I am sure we still get to decide which offer we ultimately accept...

No.
    The whole point of the current incumbents being able to match the offer when a new deal comes around is that if they do match the offer of the highest bidder, the club are obliged to accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd imagine it's a very straightforward contract term. It's either in the contract or it's not. Weird how there could be a disagreement on it's existence. Like the buyout clause in Suraez's contract, that didn't exist.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's a very straightforward contract term. It's either in the contract or it's not. Weird how there could be a disagreement on it's existence. Like the buyout clause in Suraez's contract, that didn't exist.

I'd imagine New Balance are looking for clarity on the wording if it says something along the lines of "If NB can match a new offer, they win the contract" (obviously peppered more legal language than that...).

For NB, it might be a case that matching the financial term - £75m - equals a matched contract. However, the club might disagree and argue that distribution, etc are important things to be matched too.

I'm sure if it actually goes to court, we might hear a little bit more about it, though sometimes those proceedings are closed to reporters due to commercial sensitivities too, so maybe not...

• Advertisement

Klopp has done a Players Tribune piece - https://t.co/l2a6XWSTu2?amp=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

What a brilliant piece

That's a lovely piece - I kept copying a paragraph or two to paste in here and say "Isn't this great" but I nearly had the whole thing ready to paste in here by the time I was done. :pac:

The section about the corner is magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think from the little we know about the deal that NB may have a decent case.

They can easily say they are going to improve distribution etc & they have a matching clause.

It could mean Nike may have to go higher than 70m per season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Turtyturd wrote: »
    New balance launching a court action saying the club are refusing to let them match the Nike offer.

New Balance must be raging losing the contract to supply the biggest club in world football with their merchanside. I don't blame them going to court.

Source?

E: NVM The Athletic are running it.

You must be raging, are you? :D The way your lot are going, the next jersey battle for Man U will be between LIDL and ALDI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

A fantastic article. He really is an inspiring person. Never knew much about his early life, was really interesting to read.

monkey9 wrote: »
    You must be raging, are you? :D The way your lot are going, the next jersey battle for Man U will be between LIDL and ALDI

I support Liverpool. You can believe the conspiracies if you like, but you are just deluding yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I like Klopp but when I saw the cheesy title of his article I immediately thought of this

113-1131857_s02e22will-simpsons-will-there-ever-be-a-rainbow.png

I support Liverpool. You can believe the conspiracies if you like, but you are just deluding yourself.

:pac:

• Advertisement

gKLiEWH.png

Not a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

gKLiEWH.png

Not a Liverpool fan.

Finally admitted it, take him away boys.

Obviously being sarcastic. If I was a Utd fan it would be pretty weird having the 05/06 Reina jersey in my room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I’ve been wondering do the club/s now have there own VAR review panels In a box reviewing games live?

I’m sure the club/s would have access to all the camera feeds that are needed.

Right now it wouldn’t have any use in game but in the future it may if challenges are brought in.

It could also be helpful in reviewing games at training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

haha this thread is barmy - FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Give the mods a break. They work for free.

On a site that generates money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I like the NB stuff but there is a reason why the top clubs flip flop between Nike and Adidas. There global reach and brand share is far greater than anyone elses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but anyways..

I'm looking to go to a game at Anfield late November early December, I've not been there for 3 season, had kids in this time and you all know the story, I want to bring my little man to his first game.

I'm wondering what is the cheapest and best way to get match tickets and hotel? I'll fly from Dublin most likely.

Thanks for any info and sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

rob316 wrote: »
    I like the NB stuff but there is a reason why the top clubs flip flop between Nike and Adidas. There global reach and brand share is far greater than anyone elses.

Why is their reach further? If there's the demand for jerseys surely NB can fill it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We need a Nike / NB bidding war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Right now, we are the beautiful club.

More than City (where the ME funding and lack of personalities make them less attractive), more that PSG (lacking in history and class), both Barca and Real struggling.

We have stars from Europe, Africa, South America. We are young, successful, social media-savvy, and international. And we have perhaps the most charismatic and likable manager in World Sport. And we are US owned. I am sure potential bidders have gotten assurances from the owners that they are in for the long haul.

So for Nike, this is a no brainer.

Always surprised me that we've never had a big name signing from asia
    Son would be ideal

galwayllm wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this but anyways..

I'm looking to go to a game at Anfield late November early December, I've not been there for 3 season, had kids in this time and you all know the story, I want to bring my little man to his first game.

I'm wondering what is the cheapest and best way to get match tickets and hotel? I'll fly from Dublin most likely.

Thanks for any info and sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

There is a tickets thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055679049

It might provide more info.

I am headed to my first game (at Anfield) in a few years in the next few weeks. We booked through a ticket/tour provider as it was easier than trying the scrum of the members sale, which is very difficult if you are starting out.

There are plenty such operators doing packages from Dublin, though some can be expensive, so it's just a matter of budget.

I think the tickets thread could be worth a look as there's plenty of season ticket connections there that might work out well, and there's also plenty of social media groups where people do similar (though, of course, buyer beware - you don't know who you are dealing with in some of these cases so, again, it can be a risk)

In short: cheapest is to probably find tickets through a thread/group and book component parts separately, easiest is definitely to go through Marathon or a similar travel operator.

Midweek games tend to be cheaper/easier too, but I don't know if that works for you.

There's plenty on here more versed than me in this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool are not happy with New Balance ability to secure reliable global distribution and that's why they have been courting other shirt companies, so if they want to match Nike fine but they have to also show they can get produce in shops in the furthest reaches of the football world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

MD1990 wrote: »

They can easily say they are going to improve distribution etc & they have a matching clause.

I was thinking/hoping it could start a bidding war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I was thinking/hoping it could start a bidding war.

It's now not about the price.

The bidding war is with distribution.

Nike have a bigger network that can reach more markets and new areas and will therefore sell more jerseys and also increase club profile and revenues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

This quote:
    Losing 3–0 at Barcelona in the Champions League last season was the worst result imaginable. When we were preparing for the second leg, my team talk was very straightforward. There was no Rocky this time. Mostly, I talked about tactics. But I also told them the truth. I said, “We have to play without two of the best strikers in the world. The world outside is saying it is not possible. And let’s be honest, it’s probably impossible. But because it’s you? Because it’s you, we have a chance.”

We're going to miss this man once he's gone.

van den Berg in that pic looks more like a lad from Red Head Ireland than The Netherlands.

The FAI should get on that doing a family tree search :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

van den Berg in that pic looks more like a lad from Red Head Ireland than The Netherlands.

The FAI should get on that doing a family tree search :)

van de Burgh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Finally admitted it, take him away boys.

CalculatingDeficientGadwall-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement

Hazy photo, very poor quality. Weird.

Liverpool.jpg

A little edit goes a long way.

Shaq is out of the MK Dons game with an injury

Shaq is out of the MK Dons game with an injury

Must be bursting a gut in training trying to prove himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

No Origi or Shaqiri for tomorrow.

Salah or Firmino might start tomorow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

No Origi or Shaqiri for tomorrow.

Salah or Firmino might start tomorow.

Urgh.

I'd honestly prefer if we played Lallana/Ox up front than risk injury to either in a nothing match.

Salah looked so sluggish at the weekend and Firmino is our most irreplaceable player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Pity about Shaqiri. Was looking forward to him getting a run out tomorrow.

Can't see Salah and Firmino sharting together tomorrow, no way.

Urgh.

I'd honestly prefer if we played Lallana/Ox up front than risk injury to either in a nothing match.

Salah looked so sluggish at the weekend and Firmino is our most irreplaceable player.

Agreed, starting one or even two of the best strikers in the world against fupping MK Dons would be lunacy. Brewster lone forward, be grand :pac:

For the record, I'd very much like a decent run in these cups for the fringe players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

From my reading of the reports on this, the contract is designed in such a way to avoid a bidding war. NB were allowed put a bid in first, but that was turned down so LFC could negotiate with anyone.

When the final agreed bid is done with Nike, NB have a choice to either match it and win the contract or walk away. That's the end. LFC can't go back to Nike and say, "give us an extra £5m" and then back to NB and say "match it", etc etc.

Clearly there would have been plenty of back and forth before legal action happened. So at this stage it's hard to imagine NB and LFC doing business together again for the foreseeable future. If NB win the case, I believe it'll come down to how much compensation LFC have to pay them (and whether Nike will fund any/all of it).

Two alternative possible scenarios strike me:

1. LFC are surprised that NB match the Nike offer. But are all in with Nike, so instruct their lawyers to come up with some reasoning as to how we can turn this down. And maybe thinking, NB won't want the bad publicity to take on LFC in court (in respect of both the public and probably more important, scaring away other teams/franchises who might be considering partnering up with them).

2. NB haven't really got the appetite to match Nike's huge offer, but say they will, in the hope they will get a big wedge of cash to feck off.

My prediction is that we'll be wearing Nike jerseys, it won't go to court, and NB will be compensated but we won't know by how much.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement