Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Pep took the press conference, I wonder if he will 'managing' us tomorrow night, with Klopp in the wings.

Has happened at other clubs for the League Cup, such as Rodgers/AVB taking charge of Chelsea while working under Mourinho as part of his backroom team and I think Arteta does it for City now aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Can't see Salah and Firmino sharting together tomorrow, no way.

there has to be a typo here

gimli2112 wrote: »
    there has to be a typo here

Trying to get that image out of my head :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I love Bobby, but VVD is our most irreplaceable/best player by far imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

See Origi got a haircut.

hxuqevfesio31.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I know he's only 16 but I'm hoping to see at least a few minutes from Elliot.

Naby also passed fit.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Naby also passed fit.

I really want him back but I'd be afraid of him playing against a League One side on their turf where bad tackles and injuries are far more likely

I really want him back but I'd be afraid of him playing against a League One side on their turf where bad tackles and injuries are far more likely

Yeah agree, but on the other hand he needs to get match fitness and tomorrow is the best opportunity he’s going to get over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

I love Bobby, but VVD is our most irreplaceable/best player by far imo

I think VVD would be better in the lineouts alright :D

But I think Mane, then Firmino and thirdly VVD, Imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Good news on Naby.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I could listen to Pep Lijnders talk football all day.

The way he speaks of Naby and Elliot is lovely and about how the squad was kept trim to allow satellite players to be involved was also lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Lijnders: “We want to attack each competition. For me the cups are the soul of football. We will put a team in place which for me is a PL team.”

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but we might see more first team players than we had anticipated.

The U23s also have a game tomorrow so that will rule out a few players for sure. Kelleher, Hoever, Van Den Berg, Kane, Chirivella, Longstaff, Elliot and Jones were all involved for the U23s on Saturday so if they want to progress in the cup competition they are in, you'd expect a few of them to be involved again there.

I'd expected Gomez, Lovren, Milner, Ox, Lallana, Keita and Brewster to all be involved. Beyond that, it's guesswork for me.

That said, Lijnders did also speak highly about Elliot and Kelleher so maybe those two could be involved?

Boom_Bap wrote: »

The way he speaks of Naby and Elliot is lovely and about how the squad was kept trim to allow satellite players to be involved was also lovely.

Hoping he's still around to take over whenever the dreaded day that Klopp leaves happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Hoping he's still around to take over whenever the dreaded day that Klopp leaves happens.

I like the way Barca have promoted from within. Liverpool did similar in the glory years. Dortmund replaced Klopp that way as well.

There's going to be a huge call to give it to Gerard when Klopp goes but I would hope that Pep is capable of continuing on what Klopp has started

• Advertisement

I don’t want Gerrard near it, and hope Lampard and Solksjaer will be the end of the ‘give it to them cos they get the club’ phase but Pep hasn’t got the track record or experience yet either. Hopefully that’s there by the time Klopp goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MD1990 wrote: »
    No Origi or Shaqiri for tomorrow.

Salah or Firmino might start tomorow.

Shaq injured?

FFS.

and Kelleher so maybe those two could be involved?

Would bet the (banks) house on Kelleher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd go with this

Kelleher
    Hover, Gomez, Lovern, Larouchi
    Elliot, Milner, Jones
    Lalana, Brewster, Ox

Ox and Lalana can drop into midfield then if we're losing the battle in there and make it a 4-2-3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Boom_Bap wrote: »

But we do have to use more players. Lovren, Shaq, Lallana, Brewster, even Gomez and Ox should all have seen more mins by now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That team would get killed even by Mk Dons, who lettuce not forget thumped Man Utd 4-0 a couple of years ago. That side featured De Gea, Evans, Anderson (stop laughing), Kagawa, Hernandez, Welbeck so of a comparable quality to the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That team would get killed even by Mk Dons, who lettuce not forget thumped Man Utd 4-0 a couple of years ago. That side featured De Gea, Evans, Anderson (stop laughing), Kagawa, Hernandez, Welbeck so of a comparable quality to the above.

I'm sure most of those Mk Don's players have moved on by now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Probably but the threat of a well motivated home side under the lights against one of the big boys can never be underestimated

5 years ago, tbf. Goals from Will Grigg (insert fire emoji here) and Benik Afobe.

I don't disagree with your point, though. The issue you often see for top sides throwing together sides of fringe and young players is that they lack fluidity. A lower league side is motivated enough by the chance of a high profile scalp; if they put out their usual 11 (or close to it), they'd also have the added benefit of fluidity and cohesion that a mish-mash side would lack.

This is more a general point than specifically aiming it at our side, because I think that the fringe sides we have suggested (with Ox, Lallana, Lovren, Gomez, Milner and Keita) should have enough quality to win it but, as we have seen ourselves in recent years, it's not always that easy!

Stop rabbiting on :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Dickerty wrote: »
    But we do have to use more players. Lovren, Shaq, Lallana, Brewster, even Gomez and Ox should all have seen more mins by now...

Part of the message today was that we need to continue with the team we have been playing but make adjustments so that the others can have an influence.
    He explained that in the past, there were too many changes and the players were playing, but not as a team as they didn't have the chance to gel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dickerty wrote: »

You can't be saying that...I'm sure Klopp knows what he's doing !

Definitely one reason I'm looking forward to this game tomorrow more than usual is the fact we'll get to see a few of the irregulars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

That team would get killed even by Mk Dons,

An early exit from the League Cup would hardly be a disaster.

It'd be much more preferable than a victory at the cost of an injury to any of the first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I support Liverpool. You can believe the conspiracies if you like, but you are just deluding yourself.

If you support Liverpool then riddle me this- why was your first ever post on here a response to Agent Coulson where you called Man U under Jose a very good team?
    Jose turning Man U into a bang average irrelevant club in the PL race is just magic.
    Calling them 'Man U' is pathetic. They still have a very good team, you may have to eat your words later in the season.

Sorry but theres something knot adding up here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If you support Liverpool then riddle me this- why was your first ever post on here a response to Agent Coulson where you called Man U under Jose a very good team?

Yep, you've tied it up nicely there.

• Advertisement

I didn't have to eat my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I didn't have to eat my words.

About?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

You need to play experienced heads throughout the pitch in order for youth / fringe players to flourish.

Ideally we would have 3 Milners playing, just for his head!

a back 5 of Kelleher (20, senior debut for any team), Hoever (17, 1 appearance), Gomez (22), Lovren (Lovren, Lovren), Larouci (18, senior debut for any team) just has a whiff about them that if a team gets at them rough and ready and with a crowd behind them, that they may buckle and can wilt under pressure. It is why you put a James Milner in at LB too, to add a bit of calmness on the ability to take the ball from the keeper or CB under pressure out wide and carry the ball up the pitch. Klopp loves to get Milner on the pitch, anywhere at all, just for his presence. He is first sub a lot of the time, especially in tougher games just to see the team through a tough period.

Lallana, Ox, Keita in midfield.

Even up front, it's a big ask to ask Brewster (19, no senior appearances) to lead the line on his own, and be flanked by Elliot (16, played 20 odd minutes for Fulham in senior football) and Jones (18m 70 minutes for Liverpool). There is no authority there. It's why ideally you would have an Origi there who is quite good at holding the ball up and actually gets himself about the pitch well and is a presence. Having 3 teenagers play upfront can be dangerous as they are likely to go missing for periods in the game very easily, especially when they are all as good as making senior debuts. Shaq is a bit of a loss here.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gini started this game in a sort of a hybrid LW/CM/CAM position just to help keep the ball better, have more presence on the field and a cool head. He can play 60 mins here easily and still play 45 at the weekend. He didn't start in Naples, or the super cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Muahahaha wrote: »

I didn't like the use of Man U. Still don't. Still support Liverpool. Simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

I'd like Elliott to get some time against MK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I wouldn't start anybody thats going to start on Saturday. It's preferable that we win to give the fringe players another game in a few weeks but couldn't care less if we go out due to picking a massively understrength team it has to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Brewster ox and lallana should start,maybe Elliot too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If Hoever and Larouci where to be given games, go with the very rarely used 5 at the back to reduce their defensive duties. Wouldn't mind the below but I expect Milner to be rolled out at LB in a 4.

Hoever - Gomez - Matip - Lovren - Larucci

Milner - Henderson

Ox - Keita or Lallana

Brewster

Bench of Trent, Van Den Berg, Gini, Keita or Lallana, Elliot, Jones.

One of Bobby or Salah will play I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

One of Bobby or Salah will play I'd say.

It probably is likely, Klopp wouldn't want to leave it all on Brewster. Origi and Shaqiri being injured is a pain.

Salah would be my guess. Play him, hopefully he bangs in a few and plays his way out of this little dip.

Watched the full presser with Pep all I can think is he sees football at a completely different level to everyone else.

The joy he has when talking about football awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea, he seems like the right person to take the job once Klopp goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Pep makes sense, with Klopp on speed dial

Can picture it all going well until Buvac bursts in the door.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

No Harvey Elliott, only one missing from the 29 name 1st team squad on the official site

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can picture it all going well until Buvac bursts in the door.

giphy.gif

There's a name that hasn't cropped up on here for quite some time.

How's he doing since he left? Given that he was the mastermind, he must have done something remarkable... Right?

No idea, haven’t heard it myself since some fans were saying he was the real reason for our good form after some boring (but winning) performances early last season.

Hopefully him and Klopp have made up.

The Brain was holding us back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Great news today that Klopp is saying when he leaves that Stevie would be the right man to follow him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement