Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool are done as a top level team.
    Klopp will never go to Liverpool.
    Klopps teams run out of steam.
    Klopp only has one way of playing.
    They cant breakdown a packed defence.
    Klopp cant organise a defence.
    You won't win anything without a proper number 9.
    Klopp the Flop.
    #neverforget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Looking on transfermarkt.com shows me clearly how strong the club is at this moment in time. Over the last decade we have consistently sold our best or close to best players to 'bigger' clubs.

But now it seems, we really are one of the biggest clubs.

Alonso to Madrid 2010
    Torres to Chelsea 2011
    Suarez to Barcelona 2015
    Sterling to Man City 2016
    Coutinho to Barcelona 2017

All those players wanted to move and we couldn't stand in their way. Summer 2019 marks a change where we didn't even hear talk of a player moving. We have literally some of the best players in world football who really want to play at the club.

No other club is tempted or has the money to get anyone of our starting 11.

It's a good time to be a Liverpool fan. :)

It will be interesting to see if this is the pattern going forward or just a once off summer dictated by unusual circumstance.

This summer was a bit of a basket case for the money clubs - Real, Barca, Juve and Bayern all had specific, expensive priorities and it meant that players who were almost dead certain to move (Pogba, Eriksen, Neymar) didn't.

Real needed their statement signing and, luckily for us, it was Hazard. But that meant that they simply couldn't afford Mané (or Pogba), despite the previous links. Same for Barca with Griezmann - without selling a heap of players, they couldn't snap up Neymar (or, say, Van Dijk) as they wanted.

Juvé went for de Ligt and are still balancing the books post Ronaldo (and the crazy wages for Ramsey, Can, etc) and Bayern had already hurled more than €100m at Pavard and Hernandez, and then kept hitting roadblocks at every turn (Sane and Hudson-Odoi injuries) which disrupted their businesses.

PSG, too, seemed to actually spend properly which is surely a sign of the end of days ...

This essentially just left the English sides and as European champions, the club was at least in a position to dig its heels in.

I do feel like the atmosphere is different but I still fully expect one of Mané or Salah to move on in a few seasons. I just hope that it's just one of them, and not a stream of talent like the ones mentioned in the quoted post. Any club can lose a player, rebuild and move on but losing a key player each season is impossible to handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Looks like a lot of youth getting a run-out tonight
    Liverpool could hand debuts to as many as eight players in Wednesday night's Carabao Cup clash with MK Dons, Goal can reveal.

The Reds have selected a youthful squad for the third-round tie away at the League One outfit, with a host of youngsters in line to feature in the game.

Harvey Elliott, the 16-year-old signed from Fulham in the summer, is one such player. The teenager, who made his professional debut for the Cottagers in the League Cup 13 months ago, is set for a first senior Reds appearance having began the season with Neil Critchley’s Under-23 side.

Elliott is joined in the squad by fellow new-boy Sepp van den Berg, while 18-year-old midfielders Luis Longstaff and Leighton Clarkson have also travelled. Longstaff scored for the U-23s against Leicester City last weekend, while Clarkson has impressed staff in training at Melwood while making a solid start to the campaign with Barry Lewtas' U-18 side.

Also in the squad are local duo Curtis Jones and Adam Lewis, Dutch defender Ki-Jana Hoever as well as the highly-rated Rhian Brewster, who will make his long-awaited first-team bow in attack, almost two-and-a-half years after his first call-up to the senior squad.

Midfielders Herbie Kane and Pedro Chirivella could also feature, while Ireland U-21 international Caoimhin Kelleher will start in goal ahead of the veteran Andy Lonergan.

The squad will be bolstered by a number of senior players, with Joe Gomez, Dejan Lovren, James Milner, Adam Lallana and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain available. Naby Keita is back from injury and set to start, though Xherdan Shaqiri has been ruled out with a calf problem.

Shaqiri joins Divock Origi (ankle) on the sidelines, while Mohamed Salah, Virgil van Dijk, Roberto Firmino, Fabinho, Joel Matip, Gini Wijnaldum, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Andy Robertson and Jordan Henderson have all been rested entirely for the trip, with Klopp keeping an eye on Saturday’s Premier League trip to Sheffield United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

think we may struggle tonight,

We saw in pre season the difference between our first 11 & the rest of the squad.
    Interesting how some of the young players perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Normally I wouldn't be bothering much with the Rumbelows Cup but with the CL win suddenly I think a decent domestic cup run matters. Probably be a 50/50 starting XI despite what the article above says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Normally I wouldn't be bothering much with the Rumbelows Cup but with the CL win suddenly I think a decent domestic cup run matters. Probably be a 50/50 starting XI despite what the article above says.

Think winning the CL places a lesser importance on the league Cup now.

Was more important before as we needed a trophy & in previous years we were not challenging for the league.

Nah, a seventh big ears can wait, a trophy in February could be a good booster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are we on TV tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Are we on TV tonight?

Yes.

Squad looks absolutely piss poor tonight. Most of the lads have played f**k all or have no experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A trophy in December just in time for Christmas will be better.

MK Dons will be well up for giving the European Champions a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

x43r0 wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of youth getting a run-out tonight

I would go:

Kelleher

Hoever - Gomez - Sepp - Lewis

Keita - Jones - Milner

Ox - Brewster - Elliott

With bench then being: Lonergan, Lovren, Lallana, Longstaff, Clarkson, Kane, Chirivella

Doesn't look great on paper! Looks like a Tranmere pre-season job

8-10 wrote: »
    I would go:

Kelleher

Keita - Jones - Milner

Ox - Brewster - Elliott

With bench then being: Lonergan, Lovren, Lallana, Longstaff, Clarkson, Kane, Chirivella

I think this but with Lallana in the centre of midfield and either Keita or Milner on the bench.

I expected MK Dons to give us quite a go tonight - I think that making this many changes to a team disrupts fluidity and they'll be raring to go if they play the bulk of their first team.

I'd like to win the League Cup but I won't lose sleep if we don't. But if you're not going to win, the best time to be eliminated is in the 3rd round so that you don't exhaust players as you go through the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Are we on TV tonight?

Yep - sky sports main event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Drop out as it only plays havoc in December with games being postponed for the Club World Cup so that will lead to an even busier Jan. West Ham game already postponed if Liverpool get far enough in this that would be another game to rearrange

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

8-10 wrote: »
    I would go:

Kelleher

Keita - Jones - Milner

Ox - Brewster - Elliott

Surely Lallana gets into the starting eleven of a weakened team. When was the last time he started a game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Drop out as it only plays havoc in December with games being postponed for the Club World Cup so that will lead to an even busier Jan. West Ham game already postponed if Liverpool get far enough in this that would be another game to rearrange

On the other hand, would be great for the likes of Brewster and Elliott to get a few games under their belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

FitzShane wrote: »
    I do worry if we go too youthful upfront. 3 teenagers away from home to a lower league team up for the cup may be too overwhelming for them.

Origi & Shaqiri are out. Mane, Salah, Firmino are being rested. We dont have any other players to play in the front 3 unless you pick Chamberlain or Lallana out of position up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

ERG89 wrote: »
    Origi & Shaqiri are out. Mane, Salah, Firmino are being rested. We dont have any other players to play in the front 3 unless you pick Chamberlain or Lallana out of position up there

Gini will play up there I reckon. Another senior player for the first 60 mins, and it's not like he will be playing at 100% either. It's MK Dons, not Man City. Milner will play in defence I reckon with 3 of Ox, Lallana, Keita & Curtis Jones in midfield. Need Milner on the pitch anyways.

Starting a back 5 and giving a 20 year old GK his debut, a 17 year old RB his debut, a 17 year old CB his debut and a 19 year olf LB his debut is a very bad idea. You need to have experience throughout the team.

That's why Lovren, Gomez, Milner, Lallana, Ox should start at the minimum. You need senior players starting, it's not a case of just showing up with kids and winning.

Man City started Bravo, Cancelo, Gundogan, Silva, Silva, Sterling, Jesus last night. Mahrez & Mendy also played
    Arsenal started Tierney, Mustafi, Chambers, Torreira, Ozil last night.
    Spurs started Gazzaniga, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Wanyama, Lucas, Alli last night. Son, Eriksen, Lamela also played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Think fully resting the core 8 or so players of the team is a good idea. The League has to be absolute priority for Klopp. Many of the players going out tonight are only one injury away from being in the starting 11. So getting them game time has many benefits to the League challenge.

I'd be more inclined to add a few first teamers but the gap between tonight's game and the weekend is very tight - 7.45pm kick off tonight, 12.30pm on Saturday.

Sheffield United have the same turnaround, I think.

If the Saturday starting XI is: Adrian, TAA, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Salah, Firmino and Mané, then I don't want any of those involved tonight.

That leaves: Kelleher, Hoever, Gomez, Lovren, Milner, Lallana, Jones, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Brewster, Elliott.

I'd like to think that side has enough about it to win the game, though it is a gamble. Maybe move Milner out of the team and add in Lewis/Larouci but any more than that is asking for trouble I think. I'd have been happier with Shaqiri and Origi fit and involved tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We really should have signed two average fullbacks.

It is the one area we are really short in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We really should have signed two average fullbacks.

It is the one area we are really short in.

Tbf if we signed two average full backs the complaint would become ‘We shouldn’t have wasted money on them, we should’ve spent more money on...’. Some people expect us to have a squad with CL winners sitting on the bench just so we can give them an occasional stsrt in the League Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

On the other hand, would be great for the likes of Brewster and Elliott to get a few games under their belt.

FA Cup for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

TAW are reporting an ITK as saying the squad for tonight is Lovren, Milner, Keita, Gomez, Ox, Lallana, Lonergan, Brewster, Lewis, Jones, Hoever, Kane, Kelleher, Elliot, Chirivella, Van den Berg, Longstaff and Clarkson....

If true, that'll make for interesting starting 11 choices and formations - won't be crying if we loose but for the sake of having chances to give minutes to marginal players and alleged next best things, I hope this doesn't end up being a mistake ala what happened to Spurs last night. Anyway, should make for an interesting watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

For what its worth...

Kelleher
    Hoever Gomez Lovren Lewis
    Keita Jones Milner
    Ox Brewster Lallana

The squad is self selecting - take away the injured and those who did not travel - you've got the squad! :)

citytillidie, Klopp has no interest in the FA Cup, it comes at exactly the wrong time to be taken seriously as far as he is concerned. He was taken aback by the Christmas/New Year schedule when he arrived and it look like he regards anything on top of the PL as a needless distraction, esp coming after the CWC this season.

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    TAW are reporting an ITK as saying the squad for tonight is Lovren, Milner, Keita, Gomez, Ox, Lallana, Lonergan, Brewster, Lewis, Jones, Hoever, Kane, Kelleher, Elliot, Chirivella, Van den Berg, Longstaff and Clarkson....

Can't see this anywhere on TAW feeds, but I have seen that absolute spoofer Grizz Khan has this up on twitter alright. Looks fairly legit to be fair, and backs up what Neil Jones has been saying earlier.

EFTcJrXXUAIWVLE?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

FitzShane wrote: »
    Can't see this anywhere on TAW feeds, but I have seen that absolute spoofer Grizz Khan has this up on twitter alright. Looks fairly legit to be fair, and backs up what Neil Jones has been saying earlier.

EFTcJrXXUAIWVLE?format=jpg&name=large
    Rob Guttman got it on a whatsapp group he's in and talked about on today's Talking Reds vid -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Ks3SoryeM - to be fair, based on who has been reported as not traveling, it's not hard to come with that squad.

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Rob Guttman got it on a whatsapp group he's in and talked about on today's Talking Reds vid -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Ks3SoryeM - to be fair, based on who has been reported as not traveling, it's not hard to come with that squad.

Ah sound. TBH, I just usually listen to the podcasts, don't have the time for videos aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Grizz Khan is a top spoofer. Gas fella all the same. Himself, Graeme Kelly and Moley are a bit of craic though.

I have enjoyed listening to the anfield wrap over the past year or so. Use to listen and watch a lot of the redmen tv (still do the odd time) but prefer the anfield wrap.

Any other good Lfc fan related podcasts or youtube channel worth a listen or watch ?

The squad is self selecting - take away the injured and those who did not travel - you've got the squad! :)

citytillidie, Klopp has no interest in the FA Cup, it comes at exactly the wrong time to be taken seriously as far as he is concerned. He was taken aback by the Christmas/New Year schedule when he arrived and it look like he regards anything on top of the PL as a needless distraction, esp coming after the CWC this season.

I really hope this is the area he improves on this year. Everything else he’s learned from and improved upon season by season. If he can overcome the dip in results around this period we’ll be flying.

ricero wrote: »
    Grizz Khan is a top spoofer. Gas fella all the same. Himself, Graeme Kelly and Moley are a bit of craic though.

I have enjoyed listening to the anfield wrap over the past year or so. Use to listen and watch a lot of the redmen tv (still do the odd time) but prefer the anfield wrap.

Any other good Lfc fan related podcasts or youtube channel worth a listen or watch ?

I’d say it’s rare enough for moley to be mentioned in a group of people and not be referred to as the spoofer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Elliot will show his class if given the chance. You can go and deposit that in the bank right now, that's all I'm saying. End of paragraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fieldog wrote: »

Three at the back with Millie and Ox as wing backs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

That leaves: Kelleher, Hoever, Gomez, Lovren, Milner, Lallana, Jones, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Brewster, Elliott.

Bingo

Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Guessing something like that, delighted to see Milnerinho in there to steady the ship with the young players, need an old head in there, him Ox and Naby should keep them in check...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Think its just a standard back 4 with Milner and Hoever as fullbacks.

Kelleher,
    Hoever, Gomez, Lovren, Milner,
    Lallana, Jones
    ---Elliott--OxCham--Keita
    Brewster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Liking the look of that team.
    Excited to see how the front 3 get on with Naby supplying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Happy with that team, hopefully they can win and get themselves more game time in this competition. We can't keep flogging the best lads and hoping for the best they don't break. Never want any of the best 11 anywhere near this competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Delighted to see that team.

Double bonus of resting the key team for the weekend and getting to see some of these young lads playing a competitive match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Only getting a chance to read back over the last pages now. Posters saying they wouldn’t want Gerrard and he’d be out of his depth (despite by all accounts doin a half decent job at rangers).. yet would like to see alonso.. who’s hasn’t even managed a single senior game yet. Can’t beat an indirect pop at Gerrard when the chance arises!

Anyway, looking forward to tonight. Very happy with that line up

Only getting a chance to read back over the last pages now. Posters saying they wouldn’t want Gerrard and he’d be out of his depth (despite by all accounts doin a half decent job at rangers).. yet would like to see alonso.. who’s hasn’t even managed a single senior game yet. Can’t beat an indirect pop at Gerrard when the chance arises!

Anyway, looking forward to tonight. Very happy with that line up

I think there may be a sectarian aspect to it, sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Looking forward to finally seeing Brewster kick a ball.

Was starting to believe I had made him up in my head

Don't forget it's a big ask for the youngsters to go to fortress MK and come out with a result. MK Don's are not to be taken lightly. I wish our lads the best! Let'sa go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Love the league cup, always find it a lot more interesting than the FA cup. It feels like it fills a niche that the FA cup just doesn't... it's a lot more unpredictable, and fun, and you get to see all the great young prospects from all the top teams getting a run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

is this on telly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think there may be a sectarian aspect to it, sadly.

And what exactly gives you the thought that people not wanting Gerrard to take over as manager have their opinions rooted in religious discrimination?

And what exactly gives you the thought that people not wanting Gerrard to take over as manager have their opinions rooted in religious discrimination?

By their post history. It's subjective of course, but it's my opinion and I stand by it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement