Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ERG89 wrote: »
    Had we bid 75m for Van Dijk they'd have taken it but he wasn't coming in without Coutinho going & Barca went for Dembele that summer instead.
    As far as match goes this past January we didnt sign anyone, this summer the same, I don't expect us to spend in January as nobody in the league really did this past January, so that would be no new signings until summer 2020. How far is that from last summer???? 2 years yeah??

As far as choosing to buy I don't believe for a second Klopp didn't want anyone in after missing out on the league by a point. The money wasn't there this summer, the reason for that I don't know.

Ah I see where you're going with that, but it's a bit disingenuous to be saying we wont have added anyone for 2 years, when one of those two years is spent entirely bedding in a whole bunch of new players. It doesn't reflect the reality of someone coming in, and steadily becoming a part of things over a reasonable period of time. I mean, we're not at all starting this next season the way we started last. Fabinho didn't play much for the first 4 months. Keita didn't play much for the first 6. Those guys are there from the off now.

And I agree there are people he'd have wanted, but as he's done before, if the right option isn't available, he'd rather stick with the fully functioning collective unit as it is. It was never gonna be a mega-signing anyway, and that's fair enough, given the massive contracts handed out to keep the squad together (where after every other 2nd place finish we've lost key players). I dunno man, I think you're getting more stressed about all this than is necessarily warranted.

For VVD, they'd have probably gotten the deal done one way or another if they didn't get caught tapping him up. They had to apologize and pull back before the Cout nonsense ever even started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hope everyone gets through tomorrow ok. There’s bound to be clubs linked to players they have no chance of signing which could make some jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

.G. wrote: »
    Why not wait and see who signs who before fretting about it?

Worried about Coutinho going to Spurs then he turns them down, worried for nothing.

Worried about Eriksen/Dybala going to United then they turn them down, same as.

Whoever signs who it still may not make them stronger and no reason why we can't be without signing anyone given the players who played very little last season should play much more this one.

In short, leave the fretting until it's warranted if we've started the season sh!te and our rivals are miles ahead which won't happen if the performance second half against City is anything to go by.

But I like fretting, It's my comfort blanket..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks like nobody is being added to the squad as has been flagged in the media since mid June. Between Klopp, Edwards and FSG they obviously decided early on that they weren't going to spend money this Summer. Can't help but be a bit disappointed and a little concerned. I don't believe we actually needed to bring in all that much apart from a decent back up LB (which wouldn't have been expensive) and one quality versatile attacker to rotate with the three lads up front. Now that player probably would have cost a bit alright.

My thinking on it is Klopp is not going to be here forever (doubts that he will extend his contract) and this squad is not going to be together forever. So you strike while you are close and push the boat out a little bit if you have to. As it is it feels like we are gambling again on the fitness of certain players and they they won't be run into the ground from non stop football. We got away with it last season. My sense is we probably won't get away with it again. Someone important is going to miss significant time with an injury and we'll all be whinging about it mid season when Div is starting every game for two months.

Klopp and the owners have certainly done enough to earn the trust of any supporter but I just have a nagging feeling we are missing an opportunity to strengthen while we are European champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Who rotates with Robertson at LB? Will Milner fit in when needed? LB is my only real concern with the squad right now. I think we'll see a lot of players filling in different roles but think by not adding a LB we left ourselves short.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Who rotates with Robertson at LB? Will Milner fit in when needed? My only concern with the squad right now. I think we'll see a lot of players filling in different roles but think by not adding a LB we left ourselves short.

That's the spot i'd be unsure of as well. I'd imagine it's Milner, but that changes a lot of how the team can play.... far from like-for-like. Unless Larouci is being seen as a genuine option (didn't look ready yet, judging from preseason), or Lewis (still not quite a like-for-like, but a little further in his development than Larouci).

I was equally unsure about right back, but Hoever was immense in preseason, so im actually ok with that. And Gomez of course, though i'm always afraid he's gonna break an ankle or something out there.

I see a few mentions that we got lucky with injuries last season... we did to an extent, in that they didn't happen up front, but still had loads of injuries across the board. Our defence was completely decimated at one point in January, and plenty of the midfielders faced hefty spells out. Like last year, I think a lot of our running will come from midfield - that's where the high intensity press will be most active, since we have so much depth there so can properly rotate. I'm expecting them to take some of the covering weight off TAA and Robertson, and some of the attacking weight off the front 3. They'll just be run into the ground, with a different trio making up each game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Right back would be the big worry for me.

While not the same as Robertinson Milner has shown that he can offer something attacking wise from that position. Last season against Leicester we ended up with Henderson at right back and it was like playing with 10. He was so ineffective that Leicester didn’t even bother marking him for most of the game.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Right back would be the big worry for me.

While not the same as Robertinson Milner has shown that he can offer something attacking wise from that position. Last season against Leicester we ended up with Henderson at right back and it was like playing with 10. He was so ineffective that Leicester didn’t even bother marking him for most of the game.

Yeah, that was that shocking spell where Gomez and TAA were both out injured (amongst others). Hopefully at least this season with 3 players quite capable of playing there, that means 3 serious injuries that have to happen before we have to resort to Hendo there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Worst comes to worst Fab can play right back now that Lallana is been trained into the number 6 role and of course he stays fit enough to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

We're grand at RB. TAA, Gomez (albeit very different players) and Hoever maybe looks the most ready of the young players to make a breakthrough.

Robbo out and it's Milner playing at LB and he got skinned more than a few times playing full back last season. Larouchi a bit away from being an option just yet.

The gap in quality between the front three and their back ups is the biggest worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Cancelo to City done.

Pep plus their wall of money just make the whole game such an uphill fúcking task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Some training photos

thumb_91735_default_news_size_5.jpeg

thumb_91737_default_news_size_5.jpeg

thumb_91738_default_news_size_5.jpeg

thumb_91757_default_news_size_5.jpeg

thumb_91752_default_news_size_5.jpeg

thumb-91747-default-news-size-5.jpg

We're looking good judging by Klopp's shorts/

With Red32 paying for Derby County to sign Wayne Rooney maybe we are waiting for the new shirt sponsors to pay for a player next season.

Sponsors paying for players might now be something that is openly going to happen. It’s more than likely been going on for years behind the scenes anyway.

Nike or Adidas pay to have one of there top clients in a Liverpool jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

SlickRic wrote: »
    Cancelo to City done.

Pep plus their wall of money just make the whole game such an uphill fúcking task.

20 or 30 million isn't much these days, we are getting that for ibe, solanke, ings type players

, bit like the reclining chair conundrum
    I had a guy complain to one of the flight attendants that I was reclining - her response was “I don’t know what you want me to do... He is allowed to recline just like you are”

Liverpool can spend money if they want to, its not like its not there

Cancelo to City done.

I know... and their comeback is always that they're not the ones making world record signings - but that's almost the problem. Record breaking signings often end up being big huge out of reach sums, like the price for Zidane, and now for Neymar. They're not really reflected in the usual dealings going on. They affect the market far less than what City are doing, which is consistently paying huge money for good players. They've almost single handedly created the new-normal of a decent fullback being 50 million. Every signing - not just world class superstars - is now more expensive because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Cancelo to City done.

City haven't exactly had to spend obscene amounts this summer but they ain't standing still for our sake. De Bruyne is like a new signing for them too if he stays fit which doesnt help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

We can't spend money like oil. It's not a level playing field, it never was to be honest, even when we dominated, it just seems less fair when it's not us.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    We can't spend money like oil. It's not a level playing field, it never was to be honest, even when we dominated, it just seems less fair when it's not us.

True enough. To be honest we're bloody lucky that we had that period of dominance, as that name recognition is our strongest currency now. That's what keeps the club being able to compete with just the revenue it generates itself.

For a club without that household name to trade off, it's next to impossible to grow without an oil barron backing it up. Which is a huge shame.

gimli2112 wrote: »

City spend around 90m this summer it's not exactly 400m. Its probably what a team should be spending playing in the Champions League & near the top of the Premier League.
    Still we'll make a healthy profit this summer & win a moral trophy for that from Deloitte.

• Advertisement

Under 21’s lost 3-2 Elliott scores the second for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If you think we're not spending because we're simply choosing not to, then indent know what ti tell you.

Their owner can plough £1.3bn of his own money into the club, and 'negotiate' massive commercial deals, in order to consistently spend money every single window, without having to sell anyone for any significant money to offset that spend, when every other club in England has to watch their spending in some way.

They're playing a different game.

I think Kompany will be a huge lose to City both on the pitch and off the pitch.

He was a great leader on the pitch and around the squad however he was an even better PR/propaganda man for them whenever he spoke to the media and was questioned on the questionaly ownership I don't think they have a player there now would will be that good at PR/propaganda with the media.

If you think we're not spending because we're simply choosing not to, then indent know what ti tell you.

Their owner can plough £1.3bn of his own money into the club, and 'negotiate' massive commercial deals, in order to consistently spend money every single window, without having to sell anyone for any significant money to offset that spend, when every other club in England has to watch their spending in some way.

They're playing a different game.

Last season over both windows they spent £63,720,000 and took in £70,050,000 in fees, they were always going to spend bigger this year, like Liverpool will probably do next year after being the big spenders last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We could probably spend big every year too if we played in The Standard Chartered Arena or some shíte, think I'd rather stick with Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Apple Field would be okay, if they give 1 billion a season for players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Apple Field would be okay, if they give 1 billion a season for players

Might as well just call it The Orchard if it comes to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Honestly I think the fees are getting too big and clubs are struggling to spend this consistently. It's been a very quiet window over all. It's 60m now minimum for a decent international player looking to move to a big club.

rob316 wrote: »
    Honestly I think the fees are getting too big and clubs are struggling to spend this consistently. It's been a very quiet window over all. It's 60m now minimum for a decent international player looking to move to a big club.

Not to mention the ever-increasing wages and agents fees too.

TV/streaming rights will keep the good times rolling for another while, but to what end? Like, would the quality or experience be any different if everything was cut down to 10% of its current costs? If wages were 10% of what they are, and fees were 10% of their current values and subsequently tv sub costs were 10% of what they are? It just feels like increase for the sake of increase, and all the while fewer people are actually watching the actual matches because so many of them are spread across so many platforms.

Maybe a chancer like Mike Ashley is actually the only sane one, siphoning off every cent he can from the crazy train before it derails.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Not to mention the ever-increasing wages and agents fees too.

TV/streaming rights will keep the good times rolling for another while, but to what end? Like, would the quality or experience be any different if everything was cut down to 10% of its current costs? If wages were 10% of what they are, and fees were 10% of their current values and subsequently tv sub costs were 10% of what they are? It just feels like increase for the sake of increase, and all the while fewer people are actually watching the actual matches because so many of them are spread across so many platforms.

Maybe a chancer like Mike Ashley is actually the only sane one, siphoning off every cent he can from the crazy train before it derails.

The Glazers & Kroenke's are doing just as good a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I am comfortable with Liverpool doing nothing. No-one to replace, and we did our big business last year in Virg, Alisson, Fabinho and Keita. Front three still together and some good kids in reserve. We shoudl have no issue hitting the ground running, compared to Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Spurs who are all making some material changes to personnel and style.

Let's see how we get to January!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Blast from the past Scott Carson en route to have a medical at City :eek: As back up for for Bravo. Had forgotten about him as an ex player. Certainly dont forsee him getting many games.

GBX wrote: »
    Blast from the past Scott Carson en route to have a medical at City :eek: As back up for for Bravo. Had forgotten about him as an ex player. Certainly dont forsee him getting many games.

3rd bloody choice! Do City even care about bringing through young players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

TAA has an article in the player's tribune

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/trent-alexander-arnold-liverpool-football-club

I really liked this bit:
    We’d been taught a hard lesson about how to win a final. Madrid knew exactly what they were doing. There was no luck involved. Especially after they scored the third goal — we just couldn’t get the ball off them. It was clinical. It was frustrating. It was heartbreaking. But I think it was also a bit of a blessing in disguise. Throughout last season, we did to teams what Madrid had done to us. We closed out matches, won the one-nils and two-nils. We learned from them.

Dybala to Spurs off!

6 hours to go, I can't see any huge surprise deals being done now. Tottenham still have two irons in the fire, and Arsenal adding two defenders (better late than never), but I think that might be that for the top 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Salah has donated $3m to an Egyptian cancer research charity.

Even for a footballer that's a huge wad of cash.

Bet he sends half his pay cheque home to his mammy as well.

The donation was in the wake of a terrorist attack on their office during the week.

Gbear wrote: »
    Salah has donated $3m to an Egyptian cancer research charity.

Even for a footballer that's a huge wad of cash.

Bet he sends half his pay cheque home to his mammy as well.

The donation was in the wake of a terrorist attack on their office during the week.

I swear if I could love this squad more I'd marry one of them. It's true what Klopp says he looks for human qualities in players too not just talent.

$3m is huge money in fairness.

I swear if I could love this squad more I'd marry one of them. It's true what Klopp says he looks for human qualities in players too not just talent.

$3m is huge money in fairness.

That's probably his CL winning bonus and his Top Scorer bonus combined...

Dickerty wrote: »
    That's probably his CL winning bonus and his Top Scorer bonus combined...

Under no obligation to donate a dime, $3m is probably still alot to him.

Under no obligation to donate a dime, $3m is probably still alot to him.

No, I AM saying it's a lot! He's very well paid, lots of sponsorships but it's a short career. So hugely generous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Great squad to go into the a season with all the same but I think there's two areas we all agree that we should have been looking to strengthen:

- Full back cover
    - Quality forward addition to compete with the front 3

So the big question marks probably fall onto James Milner (can he adequately cover for TAA and Robbo? Will we miss him in midfield if he does - maybe not with Ox back) and onto Origi / Shaq / Brewsetr (do they have the quality to cover and get goals for us when they play?).

I think it may be that latter area where we have problems. Shaq / Origi / Brewster is just so far off Sane / Jesus / Mahrez in terms of backup. City spending huge on fullback cover also. Unfortunately I do think there will be moments this year where we'll be looking back at this window as not having done enough due to not investing in quality cover / competition in these areas. We're likely to have a crazy amount of games this year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think Keita will play at times on the left in the front.

Our central midfield is strong.

Trent seeing his mural for the first time (screenshot from a twitter video so quality is shíte)

taa.png

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think Keita will play at times on the left in the front.

Our central midfield is strong.

Yeah couple times we've tried a flat 442 with Keita and Mane as the wide mids and Salah and Bobby up front together. Same system we played back when we had Coutinho and wanted to fit all 4 in the starting lineup.

Morzadec wrote: »

Shaq / Origi / Brewster is just so far off Sane / Jesus / Mahrez in terms of backup.

Their backup front 3 is seriously unreal, it cost more than our starting forwards! £124m for their lads vs £101m for ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

It's the fact that we don't have even one Tier 1 player as a rotation/backup option. It's a world of difference

ballyargus wrote: »
    It's the fact that we don't have even one Tier 1 player as a rotation/backup option. It's a world of difference

As long as Alisson, Van Dijk, Trent, Robertson, Fabinho, Salah, Firmino & Mane don't pick up any serious injury we're fine.

ballyargus wrote: »

Or it's 1 point of difference. Didn't get them to back-to-back CL finals, did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dickerty wrote: »
    Or it's 1 point of difference. Didn't get them to back-to-back CL finals, did it?

Three trophies.

99 point average last two seasons.

Let's not be overly flippant.

I really wish we had one real start quality attacker in a similar mould to the front three.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Three trophies.

99 point average last two seasons.

Let's not be overly flippant.

I really wish we had one real start quality attacker in a similar mould to the front three.

My point is, it's not a world of difference when you can only play 11. And 2 seasons ago doesn't count as we were about 5 players short of where we are now. Last season, we were 1 point back in the league and we won the big one. Their squad helped them go the distance in more competitions, but we won our big battles when they came along...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement