Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

D'Agger wrote: »
    Clean sheet deserved for Kelleher, well played. Elliot unlucky to score and looks very good, Hoever also looks well capable. A bit disappointed with Jones & Brewster but more to come hopefully
    None of those will ever play in the Premiership. If Kelleher is good enough why was Adrian signed on a free transfer. Liverpool have rarely promoted those from the youth or reserve ranks to the first team. Apart from Alexander Arnold the current first choice eleven are expensive purchases. This is how the club has operated for decades now. Lads like Brewster and Jones will end up being sold to Championship or even lower level clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A good run out for Nady.

Ox started shrug off the ring rust as the game went on.

Lallana as well got a run out.

Lovren and Gomez at times showed why the are well behind Matip and VVD.

The kids did well good to see Brewster get a game it will take him time.

Elliot has huge promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

chicorytip wrote: »
    None of those will ever play in the Premiership. If Kelleher is good enough why was Adrian signed on a free transfer. Liverpool have rarely promoted those from the youth or reserve ranks to the first team. Apart from Alexander Arnold the current first choice eleven are expensive purchases. This is how the club has operated for decades now. Lads like Brewster and Jones will end up being sold to Championship or even lower level clubs.

You're being silly. All terrible arguments but you know that. Stop being silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Kelleher was injured at the start of the season but don't let the truth get in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Apart from Alexander Arnold the current first choice eleven are expensive purchases.

So much nope in this statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hope it’s ok to point this out but you’re post here contains a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bullsh*t. To say none of those players will ever play in the PL is nonsense.

Nice run out for the kids. Elsewhere scare avoided!

Onto Sheffield Utd next.

Man it's great to be one of the best two teams in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Your knowledge of liverpool seems quite limited. Last week you were citing a phantom Watford collapse from last season and now you're puzzled as to why Adrian was signed lol.
    Suck it up lad 6 times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Only just saw the highlights now as getting streams to work midweek is hell with everyone on the mobile network at the same time.
    Cant believe how good Eliot looked and its hard to get over that he is just 16, we've some player on our hands there.

How did Naby get on, any good moments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

You're being silly. All terrible arguments but you know that. Stop being silly.
    Kelleher was injured at the start of the season but don't let the truth get in the way
    ERG89 wrote: »
    So much nope in this statement
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Hope it’s ok to point this out but you’re post here contains a load of rubbish.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Bullsh*t. To say none of those players will ever play in the PL is nonsense.
    Speak Now wrote: »
    Your knowledge of liverpool seems quite limited. Last week you were citing a phantom Watford collapse from last season and now you're puzzled as to why Adrian was signed lol.
    Suck it up lad 6 times!

That had the desired effect then! Don't let the lad go hungry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Matip - Free
    Milner - Free
    Robertson - £8m

Hon ta **** with that nonsense.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Jones was nervous . No stutter.

https://twitter.com/curtisjr_10/status/1176982600805703680?s=19

Decent result for the kids. And Milner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Then I must have just imagined the likes of Fowler, Marsh, McManaman, Carragher, Owen, Gerrard, Warnock, Sterling, TAA etc over the last two or three decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rizzodun wrote: »
    Matip - Free
    Milner - Free
    Robertson - £8m

Hon ta **** with that nonsense.

Adrian - free
    TAA - academy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Adrian - free
    TAA - academy

Virgil. Mo. Mane. Ali. All bargains as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Most of the youth to play tonight are younger than Gerrard was when he made his debut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Sterling, Fowler, Owen, Carragher, McManaman, Gerrard were all promoted from youth or reserve ranks over past 2.5 decades.

Not sure about current crop but the likes of Hoever, van den Berg, Elliott and Brewster have the potential to make an impact at Liverpool over next 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Why wasnt shaq playing tonight?

retalivity wrote: »
    Why wasnt shaq playing tonight?

Injured training Monday afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You'll be be thrilled to know I got my video streaming to work again. For reasons impissible to understand the flasher got disarmed.

You'll be be thrilled to know I got my video streaming to work again. For reasons impissible to understand the FLASHER got disarmed.

Wrong tread Harry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Elliot is gonna be a serious player and I've no doubt whatsoever he will be a Liverpool regular in no time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Elliot is gonna be a serious player and I've no doubt whatsoever he will be a Liverpool regular in no time

Yeah he's always taking the ball on the half turn and has lovely balance to him. Can shoot (not a bad effort with his weaker foot tonight) and can pick out a pass.

He won't even be 20 for another 4 years which is mad. He'll be really really good by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Often with these kid it's their body strength that reveals their lack of preparedness but Elliott looks like he's ready to do battle with gnarled centre backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Would like to see a good few of the lads last night given a chance in a glamour tie at home to Arsenal in the next round.

Overall I thought it was a very impressive performance, far less disjointed than I was expecting.

Entertaining match - could have finished 2-5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

giphy.gif

Good man. This stuff is their kryptonite. It'll help keep them away for another while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Would like to see a good few of the lads last night given a chance in a glamour tie at home to Arsenal in the next round.

Overall I thought it was a very impressive performance, far less disjointed than I was expecting.

Entertaining match - could have finished 2-5.

This was the best part of last night - you can see that the youth players are drilled in the same style of play as the seniors. There's a cohesion and definitive approach which seems to run through the whole club as a philosophy. Bodes very well for the future.

As for the League Cup, wouldn't be upset if we lose any game up until the quarters. If we get to, and win, the quarter final then we need to win the competition, simple as, to justify the extra two semi-final fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The standard of the youth players technical skill is far higher now. Full of flair, good first touch, a far cry from the likes of Randall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I would be all for Elliott getting more game time, playing with and against the best will only aid his development. You would be worried about throwing in very young players but he's not short of confidence and has the body strength to deal with been kicked around. If your good enough your old enough.

I'm really excited about this player, its my 3rd post on him since the game :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

id rather Curtis Jones coming on in midfield than Lallana.

Lallana looks finished.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I thought Lallana slotted into the 6 position very well last night, he did fade probably due to lack of game time. He picked up the ball, wriggled out of tough spots and got a pass off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I thought Lallana slotted into the 6 position very well last night, he did fade probably due to lack of game time. He picked up the ball, wriggled out of tough spots and got a pass off.

would get destroyed in the PL playing in that role.

He has done nothing in nearly 3 years. Very lucky to still be at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Lallana's a handy player to have when he's up to speed and fit but unfortunately it always seems like a cycle of injury-getting up to speed -injury.

He'll be gone next Summer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MD1990 wrote: »
    would get destroyed in the PL playing in that role.

He has done nothing in nearly 3 years. Very lucky to still be at the club.
    I'm not so sure about that. He was being man marked most of the game as well and still was able to work the ball up the pitch...if anything, i think the ball moving up the pitch was quicker last night with him and Hoever and Kelleher as well.

I would worry that he wouldn't be breaking up play very well, but sometimes that's not needed against some teams.

I obviously don't see him as a replacement for Fab or a long term solution, but it's an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

re Lallana I think injuries have taken their toll on him, and he doesn't offer much these days. He struggled at times last night against their midfield - that's a game he should be running the show in.

Similar with Ox - we keep talking about him needing minutes, that was he's 7th appearance of the season and he's had 334 mins (basically 3.5 full games), and he's still looking poor. He reminded me of how he played for Arsenal - not really tuned in to everyone else.

Worth noting that the style of play and tempo changed a lot last season to the season before where both of them were more involved, think they are struggling to adjust to that.

I was delighted with the kids last night, but it's telling we are all talking about them getting minutes - none of the established players or the normal subs for the first team have really made their case to break into the starting XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Lallana could play there, at home against a team that just want's to shut up shop and hold on for a 0-0.

Let's just say hypothetically we are 0-0 at home to Burnley in the 70th minute, it might not be the worst option in the world to take off Matip, and bring Lovren on. Have VVD play on his own at CB with Fabinho performing a dual CB/6 role, with Lallana beside him trying to probe and make an opening.

I do think he'll be released come the end of his contract tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

steve_r wrote: »
    Similar with Ox - we keep talking about him needing minutes, that was he's 7th appearance of the season and he's had 334 mins (basically 3.5 full games), and he's still looking poor. He reminded me of how he played for Arsenal - not really tuned in to everyone else.

It took him a lot longer than 3.5 games to get up to speed in his 1st season with us, and even then he wasn't coming off the back of 1 year out with a serious injury!!

I'd be waiting until at least the end of the season before passing judgment on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

rossie1977 wrote: »

Sterling, Fowler, Owen, Carragher, McManaman, Gerrard were all promoted from youth or reserve ranks over past 2.5 decades.

Not sure about current crop but the likes of Hoever, van den Berg, Elliott and Brewster have the potential to make an impact at Liverpool over next 5 years.
    Yes, of course you will have the exceptionally good one's that make it but it's still a very small percentage in the overall context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

James Pearce wrote an interesting piece for the Athletic in the last week or two as to whether Chelsea was a better place to be a youngster than Liverpool at present. While it sounded a bit nonsense in the headline, he made some good points.

Granted, Chelsea's reliance on youth is only motivated by their transfer ban and the departure of some players but Lampard looks like he's doubling down on it - Tomori getting games over Zouma, for example.

The challenge, he argued, wasn't getting to make your debut for the first team but sticking it out from there.
    Klopp has handed out 15 debuts to academy youngsters during his Anfield reign. Yet only Alexander-Arnold has managed to go beyond 20 first-team appearances. Getting there is one thing, staying there is another.

Now, as he pointed out, the club has refused to sell Grujic, Wilson, etc, believing they may have a future here, and there's no regrets over selling Jerome Sinclair, Brad Smith, Jordon Ibe, etc. There's also the fact that the club opted not to bring in back-up players in several positions as it would block the pathways of the next generation.

The question is whether the current crop of young players are better than the likes of Ibe, Solanke, etc and will make the grade here, or whether they will simply be a source of transfer funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Lallana's fine as a holding mid as long as he literally never has to defend at all, the one moment he did have to challenge for the ball he got spun and we would have conceded if not for Kelleher's great save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

giphy.gif

Instead of engaging with the trolls everybody should just reply to them with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

.G. wrote: »
    Instead of engaging with the trolls everybody should just reply to them with this.

Or

491637.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Lallana's a handy player to have when he's up to speed and fit but unfortunately it always seems like a cycle of injury-getting up to speed -injury.

He'll be gone next Summer.

Bags this as my next Username :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

9 Yes, of course you will have the exceptionally good one's that make it but it's still a very small percentage in the overall context.

I think the Youth Team set up and Reserves isn't exclusively about getting players into the first team. It's definitely the main priority, but not the only one.

There's the 'by-product' bonus of selling players like Danny Ward, Solanke and Ibe for 14, 18 and 19 million respectively as a good source of income for the club. Then selling someone like Danny Ings for 22 million is great financial business, although I know we brought him in as a 'finished' player and injuries stopped his chances.

Selling those four players (who are nowhere near the standard of our first 11) over the last couple of seasons is enough to pay for an Alisson.
    Klopp and the Americans have been nothing short of brilliant in the transfer market for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

giphy.gif

I like this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

9 Yes, of course you will have the exceptionally good one's that make it but it's still a very small percentage in the overall context.

Seeing as you talk about decades, here are a list of players that have played in the Liverpool academy, and were given opportunities to play in the PL in the last 10 years. They had an opportunity to make a name for themselves. Whether they make it or not is another question. Some have the talent but not the mindset.

Benitez:
    Spearing
    Ecclestone
    Robinson
    Pacheco
    Ayala
    Darby

Kenny:
    Sterling
    Spearing
    Flanagan

Rodgers:
    Coady
    Wisdom
    Kelly
    Ibe
    Rossiter
    Ejaria
    Sinclair

Klopp:
    Ward
    Chirivella
    Ojo
    Brannagan
    Canos
    Smith
    Randall
    TAA
    Woodburn
    Teixeira
    Camacho

That's a fair big list, especially Klopp. It doesn't even include players who only played cup games. I know the list of players who have made it to the very top are low, but to be fair, most clubs probably have a similar turn around of players. There has been some excellent top level players come through the academy in recent years such as Sterling and TAA, with a number having strong PL level careers such as Coady, Kelly, Ibe, Ward, Harry Wilson etc.

You seem to want to put down the academy, which is weird given how well some of them played last night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement