Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder how much a part VAR will play tomorrow night in the premier league showpiece season opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Saido has scored in the last 3 openers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Saido has scored in the last 3 openers

We're grand so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I wonder how much a part VAR will play tomorrow night in the premier league showpiece season opener.

We are winning two pens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It would have had a role in our last two openers, last year's blatantly offside goal from Mane and a contentious late equaliser from Watford the year before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Disappointed we didn't get fullback cover and a front 3 option but overall we have a strong 20 man squad with some talented/highly rated youngsters looking to break through. The season kicks off tomorrow (3-0 win coming up) so pretty happy with that and confident we'll have a good season.

GK - Alisson, Adrian
    FB - TAA, Robertson
    CB - VVD, Gomez, Matip, Lovren
    CM/AM - Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Milner, Keita, Ox, Lallana, Shaq
    FW - Salah, Mane, Firmino, Origi

Youngsters - Larouci, Hoever, VDB, Elliot, Brewster

From the little bits I've seen I'd say Elliot is the one who looks ready to step up the soonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjNAM4c2M7M

Klopp's presser - doesn't sound like any last minute deals, so no surprise there.
    Sadio could be ready for tomorrow.

Should be a good one, not completely under lights but an evening game in Anfield, the new Irish Kop banner and best of all, the lads slapping the sh!t out of the This is Anfield sign before the game. Up the Reds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Fromvert wrote: »
    GK - Alisson, Adrian
    FB - TAA, Robertson
    CB - VVD, Gomez, Matip, Lovren
    CM/AM - Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Milner, Keita, Ox, Lallana, Shaq
    FW - Salah, Mane, Firmino, Origi

Youngsters - Larouci, Hoever, VDB, Elliot, Brewster

RIP Nathaniel Clyne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

A nice 3 pts tomorrow night and put the pressure on city straight away lol!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

shamrock55 wrote: »
    A nice 3 pts tomorrow night and put the pressure on city straight away lol!!

It'll be ours to throw away after that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

8-10 wrote: »
    RIP Nathaniel Clyne

He's done for the season and even when he was fit for the first half of last season he wasn't an option Klopp really wanted to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We'll have bottled the league this season if we don't win 9-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Not going to need it I suspect.

We are going to smash them. Mo looked on fire last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

8-10 wrote: »
    RIP Nathaniel Clyne

Well he only tore his a ACL a few weeks ago so he won't exactly be back anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

No Senior Players in bar a backup keeper on a free. I would have been ok at the end of last season with 0 additions, but we have lost Clyne for the season, Moreno, Sturridge, Wilson gone too, Grujic, Ojo and Woodburn. Many of which, yeah were not good enough, but we have a seriously depleted squad, and god forbid anyone gets injured, we are without any real cover.

Where did the money from winning the CL go? Coming 2nd in the Prem? The Ings transfer? Even Mignolet was another 7m.

Clearly we over spent last season and the books needed to be balanced, but this season could be very bad, all the extra games from winning the CL, with such a small squad, I love Klopp and the team, but I am giving up on winning the league before it even begins as there is no way we can keep going for the entire season unless we get some players in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

gibgodsman wrote: »
    No Senior Players in bar a backup keeper on a free. I would have been ok at the end of last season with 0 additions, but we have lost Clyne for the season, Moreno, Sturridge, Wilson gone too, Grujic, Ojo and Woodburn. Many of which, yeah were not good enough, but we have a seriously depleted squad, and god forbid anyone gets injured, we are without any real cover.

Where did the money from winning the CL go? Coming 2nd in the Prem? The Ings transfer? Even Mignolet was another 7m.

Clearly we over spent last season and the books needed to be balanced, but this season could be very bad, all the extra games from winning the CL, with such a small squad, I love Klopp and the team, but I am giving up on winning the league before it even begins as there is no way we can keep going for the entire season unless we get some players in January.

That's the spirit.

What exactly did any of the outgoing players you listed contribute last season that we will oh so dearly miss this year? Sturridge won us a point against Chelsea, the rest of them did literally nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

2 extra games

2 extra games

Technically 3. The Super Cup and Club World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ERG89 wrote: »
    Technically 3. The Super Cup and Club World Cup.

Sure you could say more if they get past 3rd round of the EFL and FA Cups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

What exactly did any of the outgoing players you listed contribute last season that we will oh so dearly miss this year? Sturridge won us a point against Chelsea, the rest of them did literally nothing.

Sure, we will forget about Sturridge also getting us 3 against PSG, forgetting the first goal? No Sturrdige no CL, simples.

Its not about what the contributed last season, Its about what they could have, or someone else could have this season. Don't forget, the season before last we were finished with the league about 3/4's in. The players only had the CL to focus on. Last season, We went all the way in the Prem, all the way in the CL and alot of our big players had international duty too. They will tire at some point. And some backup just in case would have been nice.

You cannot tell me you think the 20 players, by my count, not including Van der berg and Eliott along with the other kids with low chances of first team games, we have available for the season will be enough?

We have 2 actual defenders to cover CB/Rb and Left back all season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think everyone is in agreement that it seems a bit daft to not bring in someone who can play across the front three, but we are where we are.

Still the best Liverpool squad assembled in my lifetime.

Sure you could say more if they get past 3rd round of the EFL and FA Cups

If we play anyone of the good they'll beat our second string side anyway so I'm not worried there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

On the face of it, it feels like the wrong move. Issues at FB and cover for the front three is light. Injuries to 1 player in those positions might present a big problem. I guess we'll see players playing in different positions when needed. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they deserve but not thrilled with the plan tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

we have a seriously depleted squad, and god forbid anyone gets injured, we are without any real cover.

I think we are good squad wise
    Allinson/Adrian (GK)
    TAA Gomez Milner Fabinho(RB)
    VVD,Gomez, Matip, Lovren Fabinho(CB)
    Robertson, Milner Gomez (LB)
    Fabino, Hendo,Winji, Milner, Keita, Lallanna, Shaq, Ox (3 midfield positions)
    Salah, Mane, Firmino, Origi, Brewster, Shaq, Ox (3 forward positons)

I think we rely on the full backs getting forward so much that TAA or Robertson getting injured could be an issue but I think we are good to go.

I think in the summer we will see maybe Lallana, Lovren, Milner (maybe), Wilson, Origi (if he is not happy with starting time and brewster hits the ground running), heading of for decent money. I think we will be adding a superstar (hoping a class number 10) in January\next summer

Well the Zaha hopefuls in here can rest a little easier knowing he's at least not going to Everton... they've instead settled for Alex Iwobi :p

Also in sad but beneficial for us news: Leroy Sane's seemingly innocuous injury against us last week is actually a damaged ACL so he'll probably miss most of the season.

Now cue the "how dare you acknowledge that your rivals losing a player is good for you, worst fans in the world" replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the silver lining is we can now take the moral high ground and lament the extravagant spending of our rivals, while we try and make do on a shoestring. Doing it the honorable way.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping Brewster will contribute more than Sturridge did last season, plus Origi is stepping up, he literally played minutes last season, never even made match day squads. And with Ox, Lallana and Keita back fit we've gained 3 midfielders.
    This squad is not thin by any means. Even at the back we have Gomez and Lovern capable of stepping in. It's a very strong squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

It's closed,cmon lads ...

Allez allez allez ......

6 times ...

Mo Salah mo Salah ....

He's our centre half,he's our number 4 ...

We won it 19 timeeessss ....

Eeeek

gimli2112 wrote: »
    the silver lining is we can now take the moral high ground and lament the extravagant spending of our rivals, while we try and make do on a shoestring. Doing it the honorable way.

It's far from a shoestring in all fairness.

_______Allison____
    Gomez_Lovern_VVD_Robo
    ______Henderson_____
    __Milner________Ox________

Salah___Brewster___Origi___

________Adrian______

Trent__Matip__VVD_Milner
    ________Fab___________
    Lallana_________Gini______

Salah__Firmino___Mane___

Shaq
    Keita
    Elliott

Hardly shoestring .Two decent teams there and still some in reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lauroci looked a good player till he got hacked in the sevilla game, worst comes to worst he fills on for robbo which is our most glaring weakness (in terms of cover) a lot of the squad can shift around to rotate others.

I've a feeling Klopp had the shoulder around the likes of shaq, ox, and lallana saying he will be relying on them big time this season.

Buzzing for tomorrow now, needless to say we need a good start and to pad out that GD whenever we can. They say it's a marathon not a sprint but with peps City it feels like a bit of a season long sprint, can't wait to get it started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

klose wrote: »
    Lauroci looked a good player till he got hacked in the sevilla game, worst comes to worst he fills on for robbo which is our most glaring weakness (in terms of cover) a lot of the squad can shift around to rotate others.

I've a feeling Klopp had the shoulder around the likes of shaq, ox, and lallana saying he will be relying on them big time this season.

Buzzing for tomorrow now, needless to say we need a good start and to pad out that GD whenever we can. They say it's a marathon not a sprint but with peps City it feels like a bit of a season long sprint, can't wait to get it started.

Looked fun and exciting going forward, but even in the friendlies he was fairly regularly caught out of position... would dread to think what proper competitive premier league lads would do to him. Lewis looks a little more developed and cool-headed for that position for right now (though I think in the longer term Larouci's pace will push him ahead).

Think it'll be a case of MIlner as reserve fullback for the year largely.
    Ox could cover the right reasonably well too I suppose, as much as he'd hate it. Played as a wing back a good bit with Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

_______Allison____
    Gomez_Lovern_VVD_Robo
    ______Henderson_____
    __Milner________Ox________

Salah___Brewster___Origi___

________Adrian______

Trent__Matip__VVD_Milner
    ________Fab___________
    Lallana_________Gini______

Salah__Firmino___Mane___

Shaq
    Keita
    Elliott

Hardly shoestring .Two decent teams there and still some in reserve.
    Salah, Jimmy and VVD are so good, we've got two of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hope everyone affected yesterday is over their jealousy.

Only 5 months till they can feign outrage and turn on the dramatics again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Hope everyone affected yesterday is over their jealousy.

Only 5 months till they can feign outrage and turn on the dramatics again.

Que??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

2 extra games

We also have to travel to Qatar for it just before the busiest part of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think the best thing to do is try your very best to relax until at least Christmas and not get too wound up about every single game.

We're in a good place and I think to some degree the pressure is off. Even without City being what they are, having back to back CL finals, one of which was a win, a record points total and a pretty young squad are all reasons not to panic.

It'd help a bit, both for our constitutions and the fitness of the players if we didn't have to grind out half the games in the league under excruciating pressure. That would be a big leap forward this season in itself. The quality and professionalism of last season with a touch more of the whimsy from 13/14 would be sound.

• Advertisement

Thank **** the football is back tomorrow,

Can't wait till we drop points and doom merchants rush in to cheer us all up.

Man arrested over racist tweet about Liverpool's Mohamed Salah

Merseyside police say man being questioned on suspicion of racially aggravated public order offence

A man has been arrested after a racist tweet was posted about Liverpool football player Mohamed Salah.

Merseyside police said a 32-year-old man was arrested just before 9.30am on Thursday following an investigation into the offensive tweet, reportedly posted by an Everton fan, about the Egyptian-born Liverpool FC forward.

The man, from Waterloo, Merseyside, is being questioned on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence and obstructing an officer in the execution of their duty.

A force spokesman said: “Hate crime in any guise will not be tolerated and those who use the internet to target others, and who commit a criminal offence such as hate crime in doing so, need to understand that they are not beyond the law.”

The post was condemned by Everton. In a statement, the club said: “Everton condemns in the strongest terms any kind of racism.

“We have shared the material with the appropriate authorities and are looking into the matter further to understand if the Twitter user in question is known to the club in any way.”

Earlier in the week, Everton fans raised £3,000 to create a banner for new signing Moise Kean, who suffered racist abuse in Italy.

The spokesman said: “Seeing Moise stand up to racism like he did against Cagliari we wanted him to know here he doesn’t have to stand up against it alone.

“He will have thousands of blues by his side. While he goes to battle for us on the pitch, we go to battle off it supporting him as part of the great Everton family.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/08/man-arrest-over-racist-tweet-about-liverpools-mo-salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Glass-half-empty1565291064.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Gbear wrote: »
    I think the best thing to do is try your very best to relax until at least Christmas and not get too wound up about every single game.

We're in a good place and I think to some degree the pressure is off. Even without City being what they are, having back to back CL finals, one of which was a win, a record points total and a pretty young squad are all reasons not to panic.

It'd help a bit, both for our constitutions and the fitness of the players if we didn't have to grind out half the games in the league under excruciating pressure. That would be a big leap forward this season in itself. The quality and professionalism of last season with a touch more of the whimsy from 13/14 would be sound.

Ya that will not happen

Man arrested over racist tweet about Liverpool's Mohamed Salah

32 years old! Christ, I saw the tweets as he was making them, assumed it was a teenager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

32 years old! Christ, I saw the tweets as he was making them, assumed it was a teenager.

Wonder what Moise Kean makes of it, moved to get away from it!

Ejaria joins Reading on a season long loan that will become permanent next summer.

Fee to be paid next summer is £3m rising to £3,5m with add-ons and a 20% sell on fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

One thing positive about this window was that at least if Allison gets injured we aren’t f***ed. Adrian is an upgrade on Mig for sure, and I don’t think it’ll majorly effect us like it would if Mig was called in.

If VVD, Salah, Mane or even Bobby get injured for a decent amount of time there’ll definitely be no league title. Huge mistake not to get in a quality player to compete with front 3.

I’m going to make a stab at guessing how we’ll do this season..

PL - 2nd
    CL - Final
    FA Cup - 5th Round
    League Cup - 4th Round
    World Club Cup - Win
    Super Cup - Win

Honestly think we’ll go very close in CL again this season (if VVD stays fit). I can’t see us losing over 2 legs to anyone as it stands. Think City will kill the league again unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What ever happens just remember we'll see out 2019 as the European Champions.

200w.webp?cid=790b7611ea8dd7ba0d98c7a2ad612130a66a1a082810916c&rid=200w.webp

Oh and not forgetting Net Spend.

We've literally never lost over 2 legs in a European tie under Klopp. 3 campaigns, 3 finals.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement