Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yes he beat Barca 4 - 0 after being 3 - 0 to reach a Champions League Final with Origi and Shaq.

Good point, but we could have played Rush and Fowler that night and won. That was an out of this world moment in football where the god's were on our side no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool are appointing a new development coach with Lijnders now assistant manager. It's Vitor Matos of Porto B, he and Pepin know each other from the set up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yes he beat Barca 4 - 0 after being 3 - 0 to reach a Champions League Final with Origi and Shaq.

One game.

The rodgers doesn't get enough respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Should Rodgers get a hero's welcome on his first return to Anfield. The guy did nothing wrong for us, he was a carpenter stripped of his tools. Can you imagine Klopp stripped of Mane, Firmino and Salah.
    Rodgers lost Sterling, Suarez, and then Sturridge to injury and got sacked.

Maybe it's just me but "he did nothing wrong" isn't exactly a high bar for someone to receive hero status.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Jaysus...Arsenal in the League Cup. Didn't notice.

We don't have the best of luck with those early round draws domestically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Considering Ljinders left the club in the January 2018 was manager of NEC and wasn't sacked as manager of NEC till after Buvac left I find that one hard to believe that he was having a greater influence on the tactical development of the team while he was manager of NEC.

Now maybe he left in the first place because there was a clash between there styles and was happy to return after he was sacked and Buvac left.

I doubt the true story on why Buvac left will every come out so it will be open to speculation from all ITK hacks.
    Lijnders had a great influence on Klopp before he joined NEC Nijmegen. He introduced customised training sessions to integrate the most talented underage players with the first team squad and familiarise them with what would be expected of them when they stepped into the first team. The seemless blend of experience and youth that played against MK Dons last week is part of his vision.

Klopp and Lijnders were in regular contact while he was managing NEC and about a month before the Dutch league finished (28/4/2018) Klopp asked Lijnders to return to Liverpool. The timing of that is very interesting with regard to when Zeljko Buvac decided to leave the club. This information regarding the offer to return to Liverpool came from interviews that Lijnders gave during a training camp last February.

When he went to NEC, Lijnders had their team playing our 'defensive' 4-3-3 system from his very first game in charge. They hammered Go Ahead Eagles in the first game but the 3 day turn around to the next game was a problem for the players. They were tired going into the game and after a defensive lapse early on the team were behind and chasing the game. The same thing happened in the following game. The recovery levels of his players affected the team's ability to execute the system he had in mind and in the end they fell 4 points short of the automatic promotion place. His sacking made the return to Liverpool much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Delighted that Rodgers is doing well with Leicester. He came so close with us then it all fell apart, he'll get a good reception from the Kop no doubt about it.....
    His "character" schtick to beat him with is strangely absent this season from the media/fans ...must be the fact that the opposition is looking up rather than down on him this year.
    Would love to see them get top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Hopefully they sing his song when we are 3-0 up with 5 mins left..be nice.

Jaysus...Arsenal in the League Cup. Didn't notice.

We don't have the best of luck with those early round draws domestically.
    Fear not, we're getting kicked out/banned/expelled (select which ever is most appropriate) from the cup for fielding an ineligible player - so I have been informed by some very knowledgeable Man Utd sympathisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Talisman wrote: »
    Fear not, we're getting kicked out/banned/expelled (select which ever is most appropriate) from the cup for fielding an ineligible player - so I have been informed by some very knowledgeable Man Utd sympathisers.

very brexity language. it's like we're at war with our friends and partners.

it was us that called this one out, I personally think it was Klopp himself trying to get us kicked out.

• Advertisement

12774-TinFoilHat-May-Move02_800x.gif?v=1542393503

gimli2112 wrote: »
    very brexity language. it's like we're at war with our friends and partners.

it was us that called this one out, I personally think it was Klopp himself trying to get us kicked out.
    I thought sympathisers was the fairest word to use under the circumstances - by their own admission they don't support that club any longer, they are just "football fans" now but that doesn't do them justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

October.

Red Bull Austria - Champions League

Leicester City - Premier League

International Break fingers crossed no injuries.

Man U - Premier League

Genk Champions League

Spurs - Premier League

Arsenal - League Cup

October Team TV
    2nd Salzburg (AUT) BT Sport
    5th Leicester Premier Sports
    20th Man Utd (a) Sky Sports
    23rd Genk (BEL) (a) BT Sport
    27th Spurs Sky Sports
    30th Arsenal

Four games in 10 days, okay one of them is the League Cup but it's so frustrating to see that massive international break causing the pile up.

Four games in 10 days, okay one of them is the League Cup but it's so frustrating to see that massive international break causing the pile up.

At least it is not coming back to play 12:30 after an International break for a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We can probably afford to rest a few first team regulars against Man Utd with an eye on the tricky away fixture against Genk

Utd typically go on a run before they play us and then revert to form afterwards leaving us bemused as to whether a point was in fact a good result

We can probably afford to rest a few first team regulars against Man Utd with an eye on the tricky away fixture against Genk

I'm assuming you jest*, but for the avoidance of doubt we need full teams for all premier league matches.

*personally the Man U baiting is beneath me. Maybe, and I say this genuinely, if they become competitors again I'll change my tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Alisson has returned to training today - training with the keepers to assess fitness before rejoining the full group.

He won't be involved against Leicester or Salzburg and the club will make a final call in the middle of October before the Man United game.

Assuming all goes well, do you put him back in against Man United and Spurs and risk him being slightly rusty or do you stick with Adrian and bring in Alisson against Genk or Arsenal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Stick with Adrian

I'd play Alisson in an U23 or 18 game over the break

Assuming all goes well, do you put him back in against Man United and Spurs and risk him being slightly rusty or do you stick with Adrian and bring in Alisson against Genk or Arsenal?

I think if he's fit, he plays.

Admittedly it doesn't seem fair on Adrian, who's been fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Liverpool are appointing a new development coach with Lijnders now assistant manager. It's Vitor Matos of Porto B, he and Pepin know each other from the set up there.

ah-ha that would explain why we played Porto B behind closed doors in a warm up match for the Champions League final. It was said at the time that Porto B play similar football to Spurs and Klopp knew this (through Pep obviously) and they asked Porto B to play as Spursey as possible in the warm up game. It gave us the advantage of being ready for Spurs and also playing in warm weather and humidity of Portugal

Meanwhile Spurs stayed in London till late in the day and played their own u-23s for a warm up sp they basically prepared by playing themselves rather than a team like us (if one exists:pac:). Thought it was a genius move on Klopps behalf and obviously now it seems Pep was the driving force behind it. In a game of fine margins Klopp and Pep were doing everything to push the needle in our favour, I love that attention to detail and it paid dividends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'd play Alisson in an U23 or 18 game over the break
    He'll have to shave for the u18 game don't we get done for an ineligible player again

Adrian slotted in nicely, hasn't looked like a free transfer. But he has played 125 Premier League games in last 5 seasons.
    He's better than Pickford, some of Adrian's saves have been world class. While Pickford is picking the ball out of net regularly, and chuckling to himself about it.
    We really did great, and he's only 32/ Has 5 seasons at the top left easily.

• Advertisement

Alisson has returned to training today - training with the keepers to assess fitness before rejoining the full group.

He won't be involved against Leicester or Salzburg and the club will make a final call in the middle of October before the Man United game.

Klopp previously spoke of having two #1s, that being the case it's Adrian's place to lose. He has the position and it's up to Alisson to win it back from him.

If Alisson walks back into the team by declaring himself fit to play then it sends the wrong message to the other keepers in the squad. If he is fit he should be made available to play in Brazil's friendlies to work the cobwebs out of his limbs - he didn't look sharp in the Charity Shield game and injured himself after 30 odd minutes of the Norwich game. There's no need to repeat that mistake especially given the lead we have established in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

I wouldnt play Alisson before the international break even if he is ready just to stop Brazil calling him up.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ah-ha that would explain why we played Porto B behind closed doors in a warm up match for the Champions League final. It was said at the time that Porto B play similar football to Spurs and Klopp knew this (through Pep obviously) and they asked Porto B to play as Spursey as possible in the warm up game. It gave us the advantage of being ready for Spurs and also playing in warm weather and humidity of Portugal

Meanwhile Spurs stayed in London till late in the day and played their own u-23s for a warm up sp they basically prepared by playing themselves rather than a team like us (if one exists:pac:). Thought it was a genius move on Klopps behalf and obviously now it seems Pep was the driving force behind it. In a game of fine margins Klopp and Pep were doing everything to push the needle in our favour, I love that attention to detail and it paid dividends.

Benfica B was it not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Yes the warm up game was against Benfica b team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Assuming he's 100% fit, Allisson will walk straight back into the team after the international break.

It won't give Klopp a moment's thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Stick with Adrian

Only until the best keeper in the world is ready to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Have said it before that while Adrian has improved you get the feeling that the mistake is always around the corner, Allison should come straight back in.

Same as the end of last season in that while Firmino had been injured in the run up to the final, once he was available nobody would’ve wanted Origi or eh Sturridge starting ahead of him.

I presume Adrian will play in the FA cup ties and take over from Kelleher in any further League Cup matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Adrian has been a fantastic second choice keeper and done more than was expected by most fans except Owl here who called for him to be signed that was a great shout again.

However wanting him to stay on when the best keeper in the world Ali is fully fit would be a mistake in most fans eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

My question wasn't so much as to whether people wanted Adrian to stay on in goal long-term but how quickly you bring Alisson back in.

If he's a little rusty having not played for a few months, would it make more sense to play Adrian in the league game against United before Alisson against Genk? Or do we just go for it and throw him in against Man United?

It obviously all depends on his sharpness in training when he comes back in and whether there are any games he can take part in during the international break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

My question wasn't so much as to whether people wanted Adrian to stay on in goal long-term but how quickly you bring Alisson back in.

If he's a little rusty having not played for a few months, would it make more sense to play Adrian in the league game against United before Alisson against Genk? Or do we just go for it and throw him in against Man United?

It obviously all depends on his sharpness in training when he comes back in and whether there are any games he can take part in during the international break.

Assuming Alisson is fully fit after the international break, then he goes straight back in goal against Utd. Adrian would likely then play the midweek game against Genk as a precaution against Alisson playing 3 games in a week. Allison returns against Spurs, with Adrian then taking over League Cup duties against Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There are very few players who have been injured for around 2.5 months and gone straight back into the line up, especially in a game such as the United one. Adrian is playing fine so there is no rush yet.

I'd be happier to play Alisson against Genk, if he is fit, or maybe the Arsenal game in the League Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I wouldnt want allison against united tbh - its lined up for disaster! Adrian is doing very well and will be fine. unless allison gets a couple of games in beforehand I would go with adrian.

Either Adrian or Allison could be at fault for a Utd win which would just lead to a round of the I told you sos. You go with Alison as the law of averages are with him, being the world's greatest keeper and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Either Adrian or Allison could be at fault for a Utd win which would just lead to a round of the I told you sos. You go with Alison as the law of averages are with him, being the world's greatest keeper and all.

I get what your saying - but itl take a few games to get back to his best, ringrust and all that.

Its a never ending argument - id prefer adrian if allison has not got any game time. But id say Klopp will probably know beter than me or you on the day!

• Advertisement

I think we all agree it's better if Klopp picks the team rather than me.

I think we all agree it's better if Klopp picks the team rather than me.

I'd like to see you pick the team for one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The main positive about Adrian for me has been that he looked a bit ropey, and then he apparently trained with the team a bunch, and made concrete improvements to how he integrated into defence.

You could generally rely on Mignolet or Karius to put together decent runs of form by their own standards, but they never seemed to demonstrate a marked improvement of performance. They had highs and lows of confidence, but they didn't really seem to adapt very much.

To be fair he looked ropey in the first game or two as he just arrived and was thrown straight into the first team with little to no training with the rest of the squad.

It kind of shows how bad Mignolet was that he was there for years and couldn't couldn't so a job in goal with those players in front of him.

I love a bit of action during the working week.

Kicking things off tonight with Man Utd v Ars.

Spurs v Bayern on Tuesday

And Liverpool in action on the Wednesday.

What a time to be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mingolet and Karius I always felt were bang average with the ball at their feet and never comfortable.

Adrian is very good with the ball at his feet. His passing has very much impressed me so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

It's a real damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Play Allison and lose then it was foolish to bring him back in such a high-profile game.
    Play Adrian and lose then it was foolish to leave Allison out when he's our best keeper.

It's a tough run of fixtures to figure out where to make the keeper swap, assuming you're building up Alisson for the Man City game which is massive:
    PL - Man Utd v Liverpool
    CL - Genk v Liverpool
    PL - Liverpool v Spurs
    LC - Liverpool v Arsenal
    PL - Aston Villa v Liverpool
    CL - Liverpool v Genk
    PL - Liverpool v Man City

Personally I'd vote for giving Adrian the Utd game, then phasing Alisson back in by giving him Genk and Spurs, then Adrian or Kelleher in the League Cup and Alisson continues on to the Man City game.

I think Adrian deserves his place in the side, even when Allison comes back. Salah's not at it , give him a chance in front 3 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's back in full training, the game is 3 weeks away. I reckon he will go straight back in, its different to an outfield player.

I hope Adrian gets some game time though in all the cups and CL, hes proven to be a more than adequate number 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think Adrian deserves his place in the side, even when Allison comes back. Salah's not at it , give him a chance in front 3 .

Ah come on Toby he's been voted the number one goalkeeper in the world

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement