Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Wasn’t it Shearer and Murphy said a player is entitled to go down when they feel contact when Lovern gave away a penalty against Everton a couple of years back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Roanmore wrote: »
    Wasn’t it Shearer and Murphy said a player is entitled to go down when they feel contact when Lovern gave away a penalty against Everton a couple of years back?

Yeah but Calvert-Lewin is English.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Murphy also said it was a tired tackle. It was a tough three minutes for him obviously.

86 minutes - Chowdhry comes on
    89 minutes - Chowdhry gets booked.

I'm still not sure it was a red, that was my initial thought but I can see both sides to a red and yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

monkey9 wrote: »
    Not watching atm, but did he genuinely say this?

He said it was an average foul you see every game. I took that as Murphy saying it was not a dangerous tackle wordy of a card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Honestly the MOTD lads were just talking all sorts of sh today, saying Klopp was only pretending to be mad about the Choudhury challenge to deflect from the "incorrect penalty decision"

That's insane! It's quite obvious he's furious about the challenge. I'm actually glad I don't watch that show anymore. They really don't like Liverpool, do they? Murphy should be ashamed of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

This isn't directed at yourself, Blondie. I'm just using your post as an example.

It shouldn't amaze me, but it does. The fact that there are people out there trying to pretend that it's not a penalty is laughable. The penalty was 100% a penalty. Mane was fouled in the penalty area. If it was outside the box, it'd be a free and nobody would bat an eyelid. A foul is a foul anywhere on the pitch. Even Albrighton knew himself what he'd done. It was a foul in the penalty area and a deserved win for Liverpool.

The thing is though, it WAS a penalty. I suppose I meant it is only contentious to everyone else bar us. Eff them! We've been on the wrong side of those calls enough down the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Beat utd get ole sacked
    Beat spurs get pitch sacked

Ole could be sacked tomorrow if his old team mate beats him tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Beat utd get ole sacked
    Beat spurs get pitch sacked

The pitch?

Steady on, it's only a new stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Yeah Adrian has been brilliant,don't think anyone could of foreseen him been such a success but I think Allison saves that shot today
    Adrian was one of the top goalkeepers in the league a few years ago. There should never have been a reason to suspect that he wouldn't be a success.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The pitch?

Steady on, it's only a new stadium.

It's been sacked alright.

https://twitter.com/NFLUK/status/1180196228585414656

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

There was slight contact and no doubt we deserved to win but if that pen was given against us I'd be well disgusted, mane did throw himself to the ground and whether that's right or wrong is for another discussion, it got us the win so it's obviously good for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

shamrock55 wrote: »
    There was slight contact and no doubt we deserved to win but if that pen was given against us I'd be well disgusted, mane did throw himself to the ground and whether that's right or wrong is for another discussion, it got us the win so it's obviously good for us

Well you'd be wrong to be disgusted within that scenario. It was a penalty all day long. It was just a penalty, it really really was.

Well you'd be wrong to be disgusted within that scenario. It was a penalty all day long. It was just a penalty, it really really was.

I'd still be pissed if it was given against us, maybe a pen but very very soft, he took a step then decided to go down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

As clear a penalty as you can ever get. You cannot kick through the back of the legs of your opponent (anywhere on the pitch) and not expect it to be a foul. Let alone in the penalty area.

I'm actually stunned by MOTD.

I'd still be pissed if it was given against us, maybe a pen but very very soft, he took a step then decided to go down

It very simply was a penalty, stop talking about softness. It was 100% a penalty. To take your scenario into action, i'd be asking our defender what he was doing going through the back of the attacker in our box and not winning the ball.

Why you're debating this is weird. There's no hard or soft here, it's a penalty.

It very simply was a penalty, stop talking about softness. It was 100% a penalty. To take your scenario into action, i'd be asking our defender what he was doing going through the back of the attacker in our box and not winning the ball.

Why you're debating this is weird. There's no hard or soft here, it's a penalty.

FFS relax, he didn't go through the back of him like you say, he knudged him, sadio then took a step, realised the ball was gone and threw himself to the ground, it wasn't the knudge that put him on the ground it was Sadio himself. We've all seen refs not give them before, that's why I'm saying it's soft and I still wouldn't be happy if it was given against us, that's my opinion and your not gonna change my mind my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

FFS relax, he didn't go through the back of him like you say, he knudged him, sadio then took a step, realised the ball was gone and threw himself to the ground, it wasn't the knudge that put him on the ground it was Sadio himself. We've all seen refs not give them before, that's why I'm saying it's soft and I still wouldn't be happy if it was given against us, that's my opinion and your not gonna change my mind my friend

It was a pen. Stop being a numpty just to be a contrarian.

I’m very relaxed, it was a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/geyavr

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/xadgld

The two goals Suarez scored midweek were incredible. Booed last week, and rammed it down their throat the next.

The Bleacher Report enjoying 8 out of 8
    JRGrCQU.jpg

There is costumes set for the Christmas Party now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Forgot about this one from Choudhury too, Matt Ritchie out for a few months thanks to it, only a yellow as well.

Yes he shrugged his shoulders yesterday too after it so he fancies himself as some sort of hard man. He's lucky not in Bruce's era because if he was he would have picked up some well overdue receipts for his "hard" antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It wasn’t soft but these things even themselves out.

giphy.gif

if we'd gotten that one last year instead we'd have won the league and wouldn't be so anxious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The thing is, despite what the pundits seem to think, it doesn't need to be more of a foul to be a penalty. Yes he doesnt need to go ground, but if I get kicked in the leg, I want a foul given.

That gets given in the centre circle all day long and there is no debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

just to play Devil's advocate (and believe me I'm the most biased of the lot of us) but I do see the argument for no penalty. there was contact but there did seem to be a delay going down
    thankfully I'm not a ref and it was VAR approved but I can understand why our friends and enemies would question it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

gimli2112 wrote: »
    just to play Devil's advocate (and believe me I'm the most biased of the lot of us) but I do see the argument for no penalty. there was contact but there did seem to be a delay going down
    thankfully I'm not a ref and it was VAR approved but I can understand why our friends and enemies would question it

That's just your perception being screwed by most players already being on their way down before contact is even made.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There was contact but it was also a dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

In slow motion it looks like a delay. But he was kicked from behind, also stood on as part of the kick. It’s a pen, delay or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

It was a penalty. You can't kick through a players ankle. If Mane had stayed in his feet the ref probably won't give it. In that case the ref would have been 100% incorrect. Unfortunately, Mane had to go down to allow the ref to make the correct decision. Mane's fall is irrelevant in this scenario. It's the kick through the ankle. The play effectively ended at this point.

There was contact and enough contact for it to be a foul.

If he stayed on his feet the ref would not have given the foul.

The get given the foul he needed to fall over so he fell over.

• Advertisement

The penalty wasn't given for Mane's fall (that highlighted it for sure) but the contact with his leg from behind. Mane could have done star jumps after the initial foul to attract attention... it was the tackle from behind that VAR confirmed as the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ole could be sacked tomorrow if his old team mate beats him tomorrow.

I’d say fergie has been on the phone to Bruce already.

Not often I hope Utd don't lose but today is one of them. Keep Ole at the wheel for another while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You could say peno and a dive.

But you take these things one at a time.

He was fouled, no one disputes that, so penalty.

Then the ref could have decided to yellow card him but can anyone find a precedent for that? Where the ref books for diving have already acknowledged the foul?

I need to see the foul on Salah again bit I don't think studs were up or anything and I thought at the time (in some mild defence of Danny Murphy) that it was a typical cynical chop down yellow to stop a player advancing.

The penalty wasn't given for Mane's fall (that highlighted it for sure) but the contact with his leg from behind. Mane could have done star jumps after the initial foul to attract attention... it was the tackle from behind that VAR confirmed as the penalty.

If mane doesn't throw himself to the ground there's now way the ref gives that penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus christ MOTD are quite unbearable when Leicester lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Who ****ing cares at this stage? Points in the bag, move on.

(It was a penalty)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You'd think Lineker would be happy with one league title (Football League Second Division).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just 30 more league games to go now!

Jesus this is going to be draining :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Knex. wrote: »
    Just 30 more league games to go now!

Jesus this is going to be draining :pac:

If we average 2ppg for the rest of the season we hit 84 points,hopefully should be hitting 90+ but with city will prob need 100+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Talisman wrote: »
    Adrian was one of the top goalkeepers in the league a few years ago. There should never have been a reason to suspect that he wouldn't be a success.

This just isn't true.

Adrian played 5 times in all competitions last season, and 22 and 19 in the two seasons prior to that. He was first dropped for Darron Randolph and then replaced by Lukasz Fabianski.

Rate him as highly as you want but there was no guarantee he was going to be any good after that.

I'm thrilled to see how good he has been but it is a surprise, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

This just isn't true.

Adrian played 5 times in all competitions last season, and 22 and 19 in the two seasons prior to that. He was first dropped for Darron Randolph and then replaced by Lukasz Fabianski.

Rate him as highly as you want but there was no guarantee he was going to be any good after that.

We've won every game in the league he's played.
    Can't ask for more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

This just isn't true.

Exactly

I hadn’t copped how important match fitness / match sharpness was for keepers, but now I think that explains why he looked so dodgy in his first few games. He’s been top class recently. Certainly a far better keeper than Mig. Would still say he has a small weakness in his tendency to parry a ball back into the danger zone, but overall couldn’t have asked for anymore. Great attitude and very likeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

As clear a penalty as you can ever get. You cannot kick through the back of the legs of your opponent (anywhere on the pitch) and not expect it to be a foul. Let alone in the penalty area.

I'm actually stunned by MOTD.

Shearer in hypocrite shocker.

Never forget his take on the Lovren challenge on Calvert-Lewin. Apparently that was a penalty.

The bitterness towards Liverpool is generally astounding. We're lucky there are ex-players in the media to even it out.

We've been denied at least 3 clear penalties this season, and barely a peep. Why? Because we've won our games anyway. This is the first game we actually needed a decision to be given.

As I've said before, we've not even won the League with this team, and the bitterness is palpable. Can you imagine if we actually win it?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    We've won every game in the league he's played.
    Can't ask for more than that.

Yep - I am thrilled how it worked out. Both for the club (obviously) and Adrian (because he seems like a decent lad!)
    Exactly

I hadn’t copped how important match fitness / match sharpness was for keepers, but now I think that explains why he looked so dodgy in his first few games. He’s been top class recently. Certainly a far better keeper than Mig. Would still say he has a small weakness in his tendency to parry a ball back into the danger zone, but overall couldn’t have asked for anymore. Great attitude and very likeable.

No real pre-season too - it can't have been easy to be dropped in like he was.

Credit to him, he has done well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Who could blame the lad for telling Vardy to do the following...

giphy.gif

Coming up next...**** off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

A couple of words on James Milner.

I love him.

Exemplary.
    Leader.
    Professional.
    Classy.
    Giant cojones.

I'll miss him when he leaves.

Sure we'll miss him in 2034 when Leeds win promotion.

As for the peno business - if you ride the foul and stay on your feet they never bring play back for a penalty if there is no advantage (ie assist or goal). Until that happens players will continue to go down screaming.

• Advertisement

Sure we'll miss him in 2034 when Leeds win promotion.

As for the peno business - if you ride the foul and stay on your feet they never bring play back for a penalty if there is no advantage (ie assist or goal). Until that happens players will continue to go down screaming.

I'm not worried. Leeds are locked in a perpetual cycle of play-offs, defeat, reset, three years mediocrity, play-offs, defeat, reset...

Chances are, they'd need Milner as their manager to get them over the line actually.

Also - you're spot on re: point 2. If Mané stays up, loses the ball and Leicester hoof it clear, it won't be reviewed and we drop two crucial points. Same across the board - 20+ years of not giving penos/fouls when players don't go down means that people will continue to go down. Didn't Allardyce slate Noble (might have the wrong player here) for staying on his feet in a game and not "earning" the penalty? That's the level we're at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement