Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

rob316 wrote: »
    Joking aside gotta say that United game is a banana skin. We are overwhelming favorites to win but its still United away at the end of the day. I'd say maybe 5 times I've seen us win there in 20 odd years?

Klopp has to play the team not the occasion, the game there last season was a real missed opportunity and they were ****e then too. No respect, attack their weaknesses and get 3 points.

Its the first time in my adult life I'm not dreading that game. This team is different gravy, they've learned from last season, improved on the Chelsea away and Leicester at home results so far. I think they know looking back they should have pushed for the win at Old Trafford, United were in disarray during that game and we didn't make them pay. I don't think we'll let it slip this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

when we played them at OT last year they were on a bit of a run. I actually thought it wasn't a bad point but was subsequently proved wrong when they then fell apart. The Anfield game was the worst I've ever seen a Utd side against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Form means little in that game, we'll struggle to break them as they will do anything to save face in front of their fans, will be hard to hit the target let alone score.
    Not sure we hit target last time we were there either, I suspect we'll have 70% of ball but fail to break through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah but with the way they game panned out with their injuries etc we shouod have pushed on and went for the win. What's was it, two subs after 20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Only 7 teams have won their opening 8 games in all time top flight league in England. Liverpool are the 1st to do it twice, just hope it is not repeat of the last time they done it :(

What's the record?

If we managed to get to 12 we'd all but deserve to win the league (we'd be at least 11 pts clear then).

Gbear wrote: »
    What's the record?

If we managed to get to 12 we'd all but deserve to win the league (we'd be at least 11 pts clear then).

I have a memory of Spurs winning their first 12 and NOT winning the league. But, you know... spurs.

Yeah, if we win the first 12, t'would be fair to call it 😁

Imagine if we start playing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just saw Bobby, Mane & Fab are playing their International friendly in Singapore.

Wish the players started having niggling injures at international friendly weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

G Nev is a proper banter pundit these days. The mans views hold no water.

Remember last year when he said we should bin the champions league and focus on the league :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think I cried when it was officially announced after spending nearly two years calling for it.

I did cry when he won the European Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's officially four years tomorrow but what the heck lets start the party early

How Klopp's arrival was written up

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/08/jurgen-klopp-confirmed-liverpool-manager

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/34469429

Genuinely thought at the time it was bullsh!t when I heard he was coming as that Stoke result was still fresh on the mind

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

I see Mo wasnt last onto the pitch , start of second half, sadio caught him by tying up his boot - coming off injured wont help his superstitions mind :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Some game coming up now at OT in two weeks. If we could win that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I dunno how good the premierinjuries site is (was physioroom), it's listing Shaqiri, Matip, Salah and Becker as back for the 20th. All of those will be rested over the international break so I assume there's a good chance at least Matip will make the United game.

Interesting, only Norwich have more injuries (11) than United (10).

Re Stoke 6 - 1 Liverpool just as a reminder of the side he was taking over (bar Sterling, Firmino and Benteke)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Re Stoke 6 - 1 Liverpool just as a reminder of the side he was taking over (bar Sterling, Firmino and Benteke)

Truly shocking performance made even worse when you see that Stoke were managed by Mark Hughes.

That was the game that ultimately led to the end of Rodgers.

When you see how poor the team and squad was then it makes all the more remarkable to see what Klopp has built in a short time and reached three European finals. Incredible.

• Advertisement

That was the height of Stokelona that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

murpho999 wrote: »
    When you see how poor the team and squad was then it makes all the more remarkable to see what Klopp has built in a short time and reached three European finals. Incredible.

But Rodgers laid the foundations for Klopp :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Brendan still full of it in an interview over the weekend saying Milner joined him and Liverpool as Milner felt he had a better chance winning a champions league at Liverpool than he did at City this is a Liverpool under Brendan that was finishing 8th and City were expecting Pep now as it turns out James did win the champions league and Brendan is still full of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Milner joined because we told him he wouldn't have to play as a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'll never forget Gerrard's goal in that Stoke game, it's so embarrassing, like something out of a testimonial. They just stopped playing and let him have it. Stoke felt bad for us, fcuking STOKE CITY took pity on us.

giphy.gif

That was only a week after I thought it couldn't get any worse than seeing us get played off the pitch by Palace in Gerrard's last game at Anfield too.

I wanted rid of him long before this however this was the beginning for a lot of fans and Stoke was the end.

Liverpool-vs-Madrid-Nov2014.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What's the record?

Utd won the first 10 in our double season but finished 4th. Spurs have the record with 11 in their double season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Think that Stoke defender pulled his hamstring for that goal.

I defender Rodgers a lot when he was put manager, but that run from Stoke to Everton, he had me lost. He really did have to go. The Villa FA cup semi final was some joke too from him. Trying to be too smart. Constantly changing formations during the game. Can played CB, RB, RWB and CM in the course of the second half alone, and Sterling moved all over the place too.

I lost my respect for Rodgers, when he fielded a weakened team against Real Madrid in the Champion's League. Just goes against Liverpool's history and everything it plays for and values.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

What's the record?

Chelsea won their first 9 in 2005/06, that's the most wins from the start of pl

TitianGerm wrote: »
    But Rodgers laid the foundations for Klopp :confused:

Think that's metaphorically referring to the house Klopp is renting off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

There's a bunch of stuff that gets forgotten about that 14/15 season.

We started the league season terribly and then halfway through went on a 13 match unbeaten run (33pts out of 39pts) and clambered back into CL contention. Going into a game vs Utd we were just 2 points behind:

WCFIajA.png

Then we lost to Utd (those Mata goals, that Gerrard red card) and the rest of the season fell to bits (8pts out of 27pts). I remember getting so annoyed about Rodgers post-match comments in those final weeks of the season, his endless positivity totally ignoring the actual problems. When it came to the final day of the season I was actually too pissed off and didn't watch the Stoke game.

The return to the Champions League was awful as well. Its incredible he got to stay on for 15/16. At least FSG had the sense to pull the plug once they sensed they could get Klopp.

Rodgers seems to have matured a good bit since, and I think the whole experience has probably helped him understand where his strengths lie but jaysus there were some grim results in the post-Suarez days.

___________Adrain Free_
    Trent Free_MatipFree_Gomez 3m_Robertson8m
    ____________Henderson16m_________
    _____MilnerFree___________Gini23m

Shaq 13m____Origi__10____Mane__34m

I think we could beat united with a team that cost less that Pogba :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Truly shocking performance made even worse when you see that Stoke were managed by Mark Hughes.

That was the game that ultimately led to the end of Rodgers.

Don’t get this. Maybe stoke were just really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Looks like he will be in charge for the 20th.

Unexpected, but good for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

On this day 4 years ago Jürgen Norbert Klopp became manager of the greatest club in the world.

Klopp_AP.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I lost my respect for Rodgers, when he fielded a weakened team against Real Madrid in the Champion's League. Just goes against Liverpool's history and everything it plays for and values.

That was disgusting and bitterly disappointing as we hadn't been in CL for years and to lie down for Real Madrid was sickening to the core. I still remember Gerrard's face on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

garra wrote: »
    That was disgusting and bitterly disappointing as we hadn't been in CL for years and to lie down for Real Madrid was sickening to the core. I still remember Gerrard's face on the bench.

I'd have been fine with it if he'd owned that team and stuck with it to some degree. They gave a better account of themselves than our supposed first team that got humbled at Anfield.

It might've had some value as a kick up the arse for some players if he'd done it on the merits of performances, but by then bringing the other players back in it was the worst of both worlds - defeatism in the CL and spitting on players who actually did some credit to the shirt in a big CL away games.

I think first and foremost, Rodgers is deeply, to his core, an insecure man. So when the pressure ramped up he wilted under it.

You could never imagine that happening to Klopp. He might lose, but it'd always be losing his way.

Rodgers seems to be a good coach and when Liverpool were on an upswing he was free to play to his strengths, but he didn't have the steel to maintain it as the expectations and pressure rose.

The club wasn't as well put together then as it was now, and that's only partly down to Klopp. I think we've better people involved top to bottom, and a more mature system and relationship between the different elements of the club, but even so, Klopp creates the kind of atmosphere for that to flourish in a way Rodgers can't. Klopp is naturally, effortlessly, charismatic. Rodgers practices the speech from Any Given Sunday in the mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What's the record?

In 91 Liverpool drew their 9th game away to Norwich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What's the record?

United did ten in 85-86, but ultimately finished fourth.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985%E2%80%9386_Manchester_United_F.C._season

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I lost my respect for Rodgers, when he fielded a weakened team against Real Madrid in the Champion's League.

I'm almost sure he rested them for Chelsea at home in the league that weekend....which we also lost :o

https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/1181504312045953024?s=19

• Advertisement

Klopp has lost 20 PL games in 4 season Ole could lose that many by the end of the season.

Sliva has lost 19 PL games at Everton in 47 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

A bit over dramatic there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

At first I didnt mind Rodgers dropping players for Madrid as we were in awful form & I remember the performance was decent too.

But to then bring them all back for Chelsea just would have annoyed many players at the club. Also Rodgers thinking Lambert was good enough for Liverpool juat highlights he should never be in charge of transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He had the last laugh after he was left on the bench against man u.

4 more years!
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

FS Coulson I thought he'd signed an extension. Still after scouring the internet I found this which has some neat little stats, so not all bad.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/368176-in-numbers-four-years-of-jurgen-klopp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

I think he will leave at the end of his contract. It feels like some kind of grim nightmare when you think about it.

allthatmatters.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Read that is has been 5 years since Liverpool lost a home game where they are kicking towards the Anfield road end of the ground in the 2nd half. So much for the teams thinking they are getting an advantage from winning that coin toss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think he will leave at the end of his contract. It feels like some kind of grim nightmare when you think about it.

By the time that will have happened he would have given more than enough of his time and wonderful effort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement