Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Could just be a fan in a Klopp suit. All that leppin around at the end of the Everton match last year didn't look right. Where's Ricero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I think we have come out best of the original Neymar transfer.

Neymar to PSG for 220m Barca use 140m of that for Coutinho which Liverpool use to buy the players which turn them into European Champions.

who are we going to buy with it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

who are we going to buy with it ?

Mbappe next summer :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Knex. wrote: »
    If this deal goes through, the whole Neymar saga of the past few years has been absolutely bonkers.

Selling him for 220m, watching him suffer 2 serious injuries along with a dozen smaller ones, then buying him back 2 years later for 100m plus a lad you just signed for 140m, bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is Keita actually injured or just faking it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Selling him for 220m, watching him suffer 2 serious injuries along with a dozen smaller ones, then buying him back 2 years later for 100m plus a lad you just signed for 140m, bizarre.

And another player who even at 31 must still be worth 10-20 million at least.

It’s nuts that PSG have come out of this whole thing with a tidy profit, and a troublesome injured player with massive wages off the books.

Have to think the commercial aspect is playing a big part for Barca.

I wonder would PSG fancy throwing some of that 100m at getting Lallana they tried for him a couple of seasons ago.

Turtyturd wrote: »

The new Studge?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    And another player who even at 31 must still be worth 10-20 million at least.

It’s nuts that PSG have come out of this whole thing with a tidy profit, and a troublesome injured player with massive wages off the books.

Have to think the commercial aspect is playing a big part for Barca.

I wouldn't say PSG have come out of this looking particularly good either, they absolutely smashed the record transfer fee to go and get a player who ended up spending half his time there injured and the other half arguing with everyone around him while they achieved back to back knockouts in the Champions League Round of 16. I'd say this is a rare transfer in which both teams come out of it looking foolish. (That is if this actually ends up going through, all that said)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

coutinho will probably get a raise for being unsuccessful at Barcelona

• Advertisement

Sadio Mane asked if he is fit to start…
    “I am ready. Tiredness is in the head. I have not had a holiday for seven years! Let’s do it.”

https://twitter.com/_ChrisBascombe/status/1161314051458293761?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

All the same after Alisson and Keita, I really hope they take their time with him! Origi is grand backup for these next few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

The way Neymar to PSG went down really shook Barcelona's confidence and self-perception. They and Real Madrid are the two apex predators of football, the whole club culture relies on them believing they are the pinnacle of the game and any player would be lucky to play for them. When they want a player, they start to make noise and pressure in the media, get in the players ear to unsettle them and their families etc., they think it's their divine right to do this.

The stuff that went down over the years with those 2 clubs unsettling players and then lowballing with their offers has been pretty messed up... Fabregas, Cristiano Ronaldo, Coutinho, Dembele, Griezmann and I see Zidane is working on Pogba these days too.

The way PSG swooped in and plucked their most expensive player absolutely mind****ed them and I've been loving every stupid decision they made since:
    • Overspent for Coutinho and Dembele to re-assert their dominance.
    • Now less than 2 years later they're rumoured for loans and makeweights in other transfer dealings.
    • Acted so dodgy in the Malcom transfer, then sold him a year later
    • All this to fund Neymar's return, a player whose spent much of the last 2 years injured, underperforming in CL, and falling out with his club
    • Neymar's return will be a huge contract, massive wages and never recapture the quality player from 2013-2017. When Messi leaves he'll be expected to take the crown and he's not that player at all.

Honestly, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch and I love that they now have a reputation as Champions League bottlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That’s a cracking post Umaro. Especially the bit at the end. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Umaro wrote: »
    The way Neymar to PSG went down really shook Barcelona's confidence and self-perception. They and Real Madrid are the two apex predators of football, the whole club culture relies on them believing they are the pinnacle of the game and any player would be lucky to play for them. When they want a player, they start to make noise and pressure in the media, get in the players ear to unsettle them and their families etc., they think it's their divine right to do this.

The stuff that went down over the years with those 2 clubs unsettling players and then lowballing with their offers has been pretty messed up... Fabregas, Cristiano Ronaldo, Coutinho, Dembele, Griezmann and I see Zidane is working on Pogba these days too.

The way PSG swooped in and plucked their most expensive player absolutely mind****ed them and I've been loving every stupid decision they made since:
    • Overspent for Coutinho and Dembele to re-assert their dominance.
    • Now less than 2 years later they're rumoured for loans and makeweights in other transfer dealings.
    • Acted so dodgy in the Malcom transfer, then sold him a year later
    • All this to fund Neymar's return, a player whose spent much of the last 2 years injured, underperforming in CL, and falling out with his club
    • Neymar's return will be a huge contract, massive wages and never recapture the quality player from 2013-2017. When Messi leaves he'll be expected to take the crown and he's not that player at all.

Honestly, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch and I love that they now have a reputation as Champions League bottlers.

Don't think neymar really underperformed in ucl he was just unavailable when they needed him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Turtyturd wrote: »

The denial in here towards the player is gas. It's about time we recognise we've a problem on our hands because as things stand, are two main AMCs are struggling for fitness.

Players get injured. Last year was a record for injury days. I got this in work yesterday. Work's not normally this fascinating. I can't link it but it's from an article in The Insurer. Liverpool aren't even mentioned.

English football team Manchester City incurred the highest injury costs in the 2018-19 Premier League, spending £26.3mn ($31.8mn) on injured players, .

In an analysis of the 20 Premier League clubs – The Football Injury Index 2019 – the broker pegged the cost of injuries to participating clubs at a record £221mn over the course of the 2018-19 season, marking a 3 percent rise on the 2017-18 season.

The rise in injury costs was largely driven by the top six clubs, which account for 54 percent of the overall loss costs.

The top six have experienced an average 48 percent increase in salaries paid to injured players since 2016, with Tottenham Hotspur particularly affected, seeing costs rise by 110 percent in the last three years.

While Manchester City filed the highest amount of claims as a result of injuries, West Ham was the club most impacted throughout the season with 2,003 total days out.

North London rivals Arsenal and Tottenham came in behind West Ham, with 1771 and 1652 days out a piece – with these three clubs also topping the list for average unavailability of players each match day.

The busiest physio table belonged to Manchester United, with 63 injuries, while Wolves experienced the lowest number of injuries, with just 11 over the course of the season.

Of the 20 clubs in the English Premier League a total of 764 football injuries were sustained in the 2018-19 season – the most in the last eight years.

The high level of injuries was a likely consequence of the 2018 Fifa World Cup and resulting player fatigue from shortening summer recovery times.

“The fact that injury hit English clubs dominated European competitions last season illustrates just how elite clubs have the ability to continue competing through injury crises. However, with wages set to continue rising and the footballing calendar remaining as congested as ever, the cost of injuries - effectively the cost of doing business in the game - is likely to keep increasing in the long term.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Fieldog wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1161345011440660486?s=20

All the feels, love this club to death...

I feel bad for laughing but the bit where the ball goes over the kids head and he 'runs' after it, and you can see Salah react a second later thinking "Oh, I should really get that!" :o:D

It's in this version - https://twitter.com/JanAageFjortoft/status/1161340468103471106?s=20

I wouldn't say PSG have come out of this looking particularly good either, they absolutely smashed the record transfer fee to go and get a player who ended up spending half his time there injured and the other half arguing with everyone around him while they achieved back to back knockouts in the Champions League Round of 16. I'd say this is a rare transfer in which both teams come out of it looking foolish. (That is if this actually ends up going through, all that said)

All that said, the fact that they brought in Neymar probably cemented Mbappe's decision to join them. He could tell they were super serious about building a great team, and I am sure it was someone heloved the idea of playing with. So that's one positive that came ouit of it.

I would say the same of us signing Alisson after VVD - having the world most expensive defender (and best, as it happens) in front of him must have made it an easier decision...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They only went after Neymar after Barca tried to tap up Veratti. Barca thought they could bully PSG but got taught a lesson instead.
    They snooped around Thiago Silva aswell before and the owner said "If barcelona activate his buyout clause, they will activate Messi's"
    It was a joke but also a warning that PSG have no intention of being a feeder club to Barcelona.

The plan was always to buy him and sell him back not to affect FFP, as not even they could carry the purchases of him and Mbappe on there balance sheet.

Do you ever see one of City's best players linked to Barca or Real? There's a reason why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ultimately the PSG project hasn't really worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Naby injured again, he will have missed the same amount of games in his 1 and a bit seasons for Liverpool as he has combined in his entire career before us.

Are we breaking players? Squad is getting lighter and lighter by the day, this is going to be a long, hard season

He's a worry alright.

noodler wrote: »
    Ultimately the PSG project hasn't really worked.

It kind of reminds me of the room full of monkey's hammering away on typewriters eventually they'll produce the entire works of Shakespeare. All you need is a little patience and infinite resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Naby injured again, he will have missed the same amount of games in his 1 and a bit seasons for Liverpool as he has combined in his entire career before us.

Are we breaking players? Squad is getting lighter and lighter by the day, this is going to be a long, hard season

We're not breaking players, certainly not Naby anyway. He's hardly been run into the ground clocking up minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Bet he starts tonight :)

Bet he starts tonight :)

Bet he doesn't. Even if fit, more likely that Milner or Ox would come in for Gini, if that's the most likely person to make way. And Mane for Origi, Matip for Gomez.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Stephanie Feappart is the ref for tonight, hope she does well.

The denial in here towards the player is gas. It's about time we recognise we've a problem on our hands because as things stand, are two main AMCs are struggling for fitness.

AFAIK that comment's in reference to a poster last season saying Naby was faking his injury against Napoli because he was too scared to play and wanted to come off.

Anyway yeah his injuries are a worry, I think this one has a lot to do with him being rushed back from his last injury in time for AFCON.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Stephanie Feappart is the ref for tonight, hope she does well.

Michelle O'Neill from Wexford is also one of the assistant referees tonight. Nice to see some Irish representation - I believe its the same trio who did the Women's World Cup Final, and Cuneyt Cakir, the Turkish ref, is the 4th official.

The Ox is fine currently I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

OxCham just needs minutes, tonight's game should be a chance to rack up a half with any luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Has there been any update on the Keita injury? Very disappointing.

Tusky wrote: »
    Has there been any update on the Keita injury? Very disappointing.

They didn't officially say anything, was just spotted by watching journalists...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement

Klopp looked a bit dismissive of him there, a bit "Come on, get off the pitch!" rather than showing real concern...

#klopphateskeita

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Cuneyt Cakir, the Turkish ref, is the 4th official.

Liverpool-Barcelona-Mug-1024x1024.jpg

Cuneyt Cakir...anything for a reminder of this night

8-10 wrote: »
    Liverpool-Barcelona-Mug-1024x1024.jpg

Cuneyt Cakir...anything for a reminder of this night

Where can I purchase this beverage container?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yes I would like to know to our I Think ill get it made. Its brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...s-league-final

"He did the meeting with his shirt stuffed inside his 'CR7' boxers. The whole changing room was on the floor laughing their heads off."That really broke the ice. Usually, in those situations, everyone is serious and concentrated. But he was relaxed and made this joke.
    "He's done hundreds of jokes like that. If you see that your manager is really confident and relaxed, it will have an effect on players. He is a father figure in those things for the players. With his jokes and his body language, he takes the pressure off players."

446-FD0-AD00000578-4895362-image-m-110-1505738134226.jpg

Really hope Ox starts tonight, he was ridiculously rusty in pre-season and we could really do with him finding his feet again, he was a game changer for us when Coutinho first left.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Really hope Ox starts tonight, he was ridiculously rusty in pre-season and we could really do with him finding his feet again, he was a game changer for us when Coutinho first left.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Ox, Lallana, Brewster, Matip, Lovren and Big Shaq get a game.

I'm not sure what Chelsea team is going to be togging out tonight, I watched the first half of their game at the weekend and I thought their defending was terrible.....I didn't see the second half but given the score line, it got worse by the sounds of things.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if Ox, Lallana, Brewster, Matip, Lovren and Big Shaq get a game.

I'm not sure what Chelsea team is going to be togging out tonight, I watched the first half of their game at the weekend and I thought their defending was terrible.....I didn't see the second half but given the score line, it got worse by the sounds of things.

Yeah Chelsea really do not look good, their starting front 3 at the weekend featured two lads who spent last season playing in the Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lovren won't if he is angling to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Lovren didn't travel with the squad. "Illness".

I don't expect too big a transition from the weekend - maybe Matip, someone fresh in the middle (I'd like to see Ox) and, if he is fit enough, Mané. I'd have no issue with Origi starting again and Mané coming on after 60 minutes though.

I also would like Shaqiri to get some minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I was thinking that Keita would start instead of Gini at CM, but his injury has put a finish to that.

I also thought that Matip would play CB tonight with Gomez out at RB. But going by the 11v11 training match the players had last night, Gomez played at CB in that, with a member of the coaching team playing at RB. Surely if Gomez was going to play RB tonight, he would have played their in training. I still think Matip will start this game - as a reward at least for being the starting CB in the final.

Mane should start this game too. For fitness, for rhythm, and as above, as 'a reward' for being on the team that got us to this cup final.

I would not be surprised at all if the same team that started the CL final starts tonight with Adrian for Alisson being the only enforced change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I got mine from https://www.retroclasico.co.uk/product/liverpool-v-barcelona-retro-ceefax-football-result-mug/

It's a cracker alright

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I just seen a funny image of Salah on the place with no Lovren beside him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The only changes I'd could see possibly happening are Matip, Milner and Mane getting starts, Klopp and the players will want to win it. Klopp rarely makes a lot of changes, early round of the League Cup and FA Cup the only times I can really remember, the man doesn't even use games where we are 3/4/5 goals ahead to get some time into the squad players.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement