Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We seem to be pushing higher up the pitch which is impacting our defence, bit like klopp first year when we scored alot but conceded alot, why change last year's formula which obviously worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

martyos121 wrote: »
    That’s our tenth European trophy. A properly unbearable team would count them all from now on.

#10times

6 European cup
    4 super cups
    3 UEFA cups

13 times ;)

Is that 3 Super Cups in a row for us? I think it is .

Last 3 English winners of the Super cup are ............

2001 Liverpool
    2005 Liverpool
    2019 Liverpool

Total number of English winners 8, 4 of them from Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We seem to be pushing higher up the pitch which is impacting our defence, bit like klopp first year when we scored alot but conceded alot, why change last year's formula which obviously worked

A common assumption to say we are playing higher this season, Klopp seems to comment that it's not the case at all. It's a strange one.

A common assumption to say we are playing higher this season, Klopp seems to comment that it's not the case at all. It's a strange one.

Virg, trent and gomez have all said they are so it's a strange one alright, our defence has been caught out numerous times already cos they can't seem to keep a defensive line further up the pitch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hard to believe 2 weeks ago Adrian didn’t have a club , now he is saving the match winning penalty in the European super cup. Don’t care what anyone says about keepers being happy to sign to sit on the bench that move has already paid off for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

klose wrote: »
    They've sized the actual trophy up since we last won it, looks twice as big?

Maybe Henderson is just smaller than our previous captains?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Last 3 English winners of the Super cup are ............

2001 Liverpool
    2005 Liverpool
    2019 Liverpool

Total number of English winners 8, 4 of them from Liverpool

Any of them Everton :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Istanbuuul we won it 5 times,and 4 times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

EB9j5FbWwAAHrVU.jpg

Opps.

VAR missed that too

Both keepers were off their line for every peno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Both keepers were off their line for every peno

Adrian certainly was. I thought Kep wasn't for most, but that was just on first viewing.

I'm glad it was the last one that was saved, as it was least likely to be called back given the celebrations! Still don't understand how the penalty in ET wasn't reversed, you'd hope it wasn't because they didn't want to embarass the ref or some such nonsense.

That major trophy grid is obviously not right. Still level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Also VAR can't be used to check that anyway. It's the assistant's job

It looked like the assistant who gave the Abraham penalty too, flag goes up straight away and she was on that side.

It's one of those: if ref doesn't blow and it gets reviewed by VAR, no penalty as there's no clear foul. But since it's given VAR can only overturn it if it's a clear and obvious error. And I don't think it was clear and conclusive enough to say that for sure.

Amazed though that the handball on Mané's overhead wasn't reviewed by VAR. That was a clear penalty on the new rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think someone said earlier they may have reviewed those crazy handball penalty decisions. We can but hope and pray that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

8-10 wrote: »
    Also VAR can't be used to check that anyway. It's the assistant's job

It looked like the assistant who gave the Abraham penalty too, flag goes up straight away and she was on that side.

It's one of those: if ref doesn't blow and it gets reviewed by VAR, no penalty as there's no clear foul. But since it's given VAR can only overturn it if it's a clear and obvious error. And I don't think it was clear and conclusive enough to say that for sure.

Amazed though that the handball on Mané's overhead wasn't reviewed by VAR. That was a clear penalty on the new rules

I do understand where you are coming from with the penalty, but on some of the angles it did look clear and obvious.

If it's the case it wasn't then VAR will do nothing to prevent diving at all, it might even take further responsibility from the referee/team to make decisions (hate the late offside flagging)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I do understand where you are coming from with the penalty, but on some of the angles it did look clear and obvious.

If it's the case it wasn't then VAR will do nothing to prevent diving at all, it might even take further responsibility from the referee/team to make decisions (hate the late offside flagging)

With VAR I'm OK with the late flagging if the assistant thinks it's a close call.

It eliminates those cases where you're through on goal but get called back for offside only to find out later that you were actually onside. It's fairer to let it play with marginal calls.

It'll be a few years before it's ironed out and we take VAR for granted. Overall I think it's a good thing with my main gripe being the communication to fans in the stadium which has to get better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BT showed one angle from behind the end line after the game last night and it showed it wasn't a pen. They said as far as they were aware VAR did not have access to that angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Hopefully the adrenaline from winning counteracts the fatigue. They were out of it by 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

TitianGerm wrote: »
    BT showed one angle from behind the end line after the game last night and it showed it wasn't a pen. They said as far as they were aware VAR did not have access to that angle.

Is it a case that, once the ref gives a penalty, VAR can only change that decision IF it can conclusively prove that it was wrong??

In my mind, it was most definitely not a penalty and the replays indicate it was very soft. However, haven given the penalty, I do not think that the replays could 100% say the decision was wrong - if looking at replays to make a decision I think it would be no penalty; however, if looking at replays to see if penalty decision was wrong, I don't think you conclusively say that it was.

not yet wrote: »
    Any of them Everton :D:D

Nope

Liverpool FC 4 times
    Manchester United, Chelsea, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa 1 time each.

ce8849b0-6765-4173-9303-bc10526280ec.jpg

d0044b32-018f-4d12-bc2b-ebea81ba51df.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Always nice to beat Chelsea. 3 points saturday now would be great.

Anyway here's the important news:

Screenshot-2019-08-14-at-22-53-18.png

I am afraid they have gotten that wrong the Europe Other is UEFA Cups / Europa Leagues / Cup Winners Cup won. So add 1 more for Man Utd and 3 more for Liverpool if counting the Super Cups :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

A memory just came up on Facebook from August 2010 about the Arsenal game. Mistake from Reina cost us at the end and we drew 1-1.
    FSG came in in October 2010 and in nearly ten years and a few managers, the club/team have come on phenomenally! A lot of work has gone on to get the club back to the top. Obviously FSG going after and then having faith in Klopp and his backroom team in the few years he has been in is fundamental to the successes again. Klopp's vision on how to work with certain players and his style of play are on another level to who was there before him.

Granted we had great players in the squad/line up at the time: Reina, Agger Carra, Mash Gerrard but Hodgson in his wisdom started with with Jovanovic and Ngog instead of Torres and Babbel??? :confused::confused:

Liverpool team v Arsenal: Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard, Cole, Jovanovic, Kuyt, Ngog.
    Subs: Cavalieri, Lucas, Babel, Torres, Kelly, Maxi, Aurelio

Anyway ...we all know Roy H wasn't the man for the job and after all the hardship, I think its fantastic that we have Klopp in. The squad play so much for each other and the want to win is unbelievable. Ok at times in the game last night we werent great but we on the upward curve again and life is good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Thought Pedro was very good last night.

Out of contract in a year. I would take him on a free if possible still looks quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

GBX wrote: »
    A memory just came up on Facebook from August 2010 about the Arsenal game. Mistake from Reina cost us at the end and we drew 1-1.
    FSG came in in October 2010 and in nearly ten years and a few managers, the club/team have come on phenomenally! A lot of work has gone on to get the club back to the top. Obviously FSG going after and then having faith in Klopp and his backroom team in the few years he has been in is fundamental to the successes again. Klopp's vision on how to work with certain players and his style of play are on another level to who was there before him.

Granted we had great players in the squad/line up at the time: Reina, Agger Carra, Mash Gerrard but Hodgson in his wisdom started with with Jovanovic and Ngog instead of Torres and Babbel??? :confused::confused:

Liverpool team v Arsenal: Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard, Cole, Jovanovic, Kuyt, Ngog.

Anyway ...we all know Roy H wasn't the man for the job and after all the hardship, I think its fantastic that we have Klopp in. The squad play so much for each other and the want to win is unbelievable. Ok at times in the game last night we werent great but we on the upward curve again and life is good :D

At a guess - he was giving them time to recover post-World Cup? Both would have been involved until the final, though neither started that game.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Thought Pedro was very good last night.

Out of contract in a year. I would take him on a free if possible still looks quick.

Pedro is consistently good, but he'd be 33 next summer so you'd imagine he'd go back to Spain if he doesn't sign a new, short-term deal with Chelsea. There was a time that I would have loved to add him to our attack but not anymore, I don't think.

In fairness to him, his honours list is staggering:

5 La Liga titles, 3 Champions Leagues, 3 Copa del Rey, 3 UEFA Super Cup, 2 World Club Cups, 1 Premier League, 1 FA Cup and 1 Europa League, and a World Cup and a European Championships with Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

At a guess - he was giving them time to recover post-World Cup? Both would have been involved until the final, though neither started that game.

Yeah, that's probably it. But a pair of mediocre players to start with :)

tumblr_nbrfz5YVqz1tp5565o1_400.gif

GBX wrote: »

Remember that game on sky, it was the first game shown by sky in 3d,what ever happened to that it didn't last long anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Pedro is consistently good, but he'd be 33 next summer so you'd imagine he'd go back to Spain if he doesn't sign a new, short-term deal with Chelsea. There was a time that I would have loved to add him to our attack but not anymore, I don't think.

Defo not, we are all about players in their mid/late 20s. Milner is 33, Hendo the next oldest regular starter at 29, then Gini, Virg and Joel at 28. Only 32+ we are signing is a Spanish reserve goalkeeper/hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/acowan2307/status/1126064952723288064?s=19

Team has come a long way even since Klopps first game.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/acowan2307/status/1126064952723288064?s=19

Team has come a long way even since Klopps first game.

Look at that bench :eek::eek::eek:

Also, Spurs have had some serious continuity - Loris, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Alli, Lamela, Eriksen, Kane, Winks and Davies all still involved, and Dembele and Trippier only gone in the last two windows.

• Advertisement

Wow, Lucas got booked that game!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Delighted with last night, bit of a struggle but we endured.

The one thing I have to say is that Gomez should not be playing full back anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ya agree with Gomez at RB. Didn't like him there at all to be honest. That attacking impetus just didn't show over the course of the 120 mins. If he showed it for 60 and tired, I would give him the benefit of the doubt but it was never there. So frustrating watching him get into good positions in the Chelsea 3rd and literately fall over the ball. CB should be his position from now on.

On the same note, Milner failed to impress last night too. Maybe it was a once off and he will improve in other games but I think that against the top, technical midfields, he should sit them out anymore. Hendo, Fabinho, Keita, Gini better suited to the CM role against technical teams. If we are playing against bottom half teams etc or need someone to come on to help shore up midfield, I am all for Milner playing then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gomez was strangely bad, I wonder if Klopp et al were taken aback and are pencilling Hoever in for the rest of the season!

I have it in my head that Milner started last season slowly but could be wrong.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's not the attacking of Gomez at full back that I worry about, it's his defending and positioning, it's just not natural to him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yes Roy, Kenny & Rodgers really did bring in a lot of dross to the club.

Gomez was strangely bad, I wonder if Klopp et al were taken aback and are pencilling Hoever in for the rest of the season!

I have it in my head that Milner started last season slowly but could be wrong.

Milner was brilliant for the first few months last season, I thought. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong! :confused:

I thought he started strong and faded mid-season before returning to form late on.

Seen this and got a giggle from it

Adrian has played one and a half games for Liverpool and still won more trophies than Everton in the past 25 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

av4r29ygxhg31.jpg

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's not the attacking of Gomez at full back that I worry about, it's his defending and positioning, it's just not natural to him there.

It could be this new fangled high line that's the issue for Gomez, he isn't a natural wide man after all.

If this AVB style tactical ploy is going to work you need to be fully switched on to opposition runners - if they break the line it's down to a foot race which is okay against Giroud but not say Rashford.
    Milner was brilliant for the first few months last season, I thought. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong! :confused:

I thought he started strong and faded mid-season before returning to form late on.

He certainly was great in the Spring, like I say I could be wrong.

It's not the high line, he drifts to close to the CB position and it's like he forgets that he's the full back and is waiting for a full back to deal with things.
    I like Gomez lots, just not at full back :)

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Delighted with last night, bit of a struggle but we endured.

The one thing I have to say is that Gomez should not be playing full back anymore.

He got forward better from LB oddly enough, but he could barely track back then, he was clearly knackered. I think they wanted Robbo to get the rest more than him, which makes me think he won't play on Sat.

The difference in attack between him and Trent is night and day. He's a CB, plain and simple. Doesn't have the touch, crossing ability or guile to be an attacking FB.

I did say last night he got a nosebleed beyond the width of the peno area in the first half - the new tweak means he needs to see the whole of play to his left which is not an issue for TAA. Not sure which of the pair is actually quicker. Gomez isn't a slouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mane has now moved up to number five in Liverpool top European scorers list 17 goals in 27 European games.

Gerrard 41
    Owen 22
    Rush 20
    Hunt 17
    Mane 17

I wouldn't be surprised to see him second behind Gerrard at the end of the current season.

I did say last night he got a nosebleed beyond the width of the peno area in the first half - the new tweak means he needs to see the whole of play to his left which is not an issue for TAA. Not sure which of the pair is actually quicker. Gomez isn't a slouch.

Both are pretty fast alright, but Gomez at full back and as you say, not beyond the area is giving himself more ground to cover when called into action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Hendo was fine last night but at least twice he could of shot from the edge or inside the box rather than try to play in mo. Minor thing but I miss those kinda goals

Mane has now moved up to number five in Liverpool top European scorers list 17 goals in 27 European games.

Gerrard 41
    Owen 22
    Rush 20
    Hunt 17
    Mane 17

I wouldn't be surprised to see him second behind Gerrard at the end of the current season.

Liverpool weren't even in Europe for his first season.

When Mbappe 2020 is announced I hope he isn't the one sold to help finance the Frenchman :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Too much talk about Gomez in full back position, it's obvious he is not a natural right back but our problems with high line last night were the midfield being a bit leggy and allowing Chelsea time on the ball and then the defence not dropping off once Chelsea got their heads up in midfield. We'll be grand though, the issues are glaring and will be addressed. However should be cover for Trent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

It was quite obvious Ox is not ready for first team football, I honestly feel a loan until January could do him the world of good.

Gomez is very poor as a right back, he constantly makes mistakes and can't attack at all.

Matip started off like a monster, stopping everything, then became the mistake waiting to happen, sooo many sloppy passes.

It was never ever ever a penalty, VAR was used and still got it so wrong. This crap of "The refs were amazing", because they were women everyone has to say it yeah? Think of the seriously high number of simple throw in decisions they got wrong. They were shocking through out, no constancy with the yellow cards either.

It was a good result, but it was a very poor display for the most part. Mane and Firmino have started the season great, and if it were not for those 2 we would have lost.

Giving Ox 10 or 15 minutes in games is whats needed to get the game IQ back.....not loaning him out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement