Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lovren has agreed terms with Roma is being reported tonight.

€25m isn't a bad price for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

We're electrocuting children now?
    Yep...we really are the worst.

EA6I0mUX4AAQK37.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Is it a permanent deal? Saw on sky sports news earlier today Roma had proposed a 1 year loan with the deal to be made permanent based on appearances made, classic Italian transfer BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Leaves us with 5 senior defenders........dont get this transfer strategy at all.

• Advertisement

Unnecessary transfer strategy gamble tbh.

Hopefully we don't get a bad run of injuries.

It's not CB cover I'd worried about it's still no proper cover for the fullbacks.

Gomez isn't a full back and that has been shown in his last two games at left back.

Milner doesn't have the legs long term to cover Robertson if he gets an injury.

That puts a lot of pressure on Hoever no matter how talented he is at 17 to come in and cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't know the kind of person you are but normal fathers do not do that kind of thing if that happened to you or you are doing that to your own son I think you should look for help.

Must have had a positive impact on him seen as that's the first post he hasn't had poor grammer on since he joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Pretty pissed off if we sell Lovren to be honest, then again, I'm not the manager... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

NukaCola wrote: »
    Leaves us with 5 senior defenders........dont get this transfer strategy at all.

Don't worry Gomez can cover right back ;)
    And if either of the centre backs are out or Robbo.
    Second choice back 4 now is:
    Gomez, Gomez, Gomez, Gomez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Fieldog wrote: »
    Pretty pissed off if we sell Lovren to be honest, then again, I'm not the manager... :(

If Klopp gave Hoever or Van den Berg a start this weekend (before selling Lovren) and they played well, it would make me feel a little better about losing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Good article on Arsenal losing young talent because they didn't create a pathway to the first team: https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2019/aug/15/arsenal-unai-emery-youth-chance. Some seriously expensive misses there.

Liverpool have shown recently that giving young players a few games in real competitions has several benefits:
    • Allow young players to prove (TAA/Gomez) or disprove (Stewart/Solanke) that they can compete for a place in the team.
    • Boosts young players value so they can be sold for a decent profit. eg Ibe, Solanke, Smith, Stewart, Camacho.
    • Makes Liverpool a destination for young talent because they see that they'll get a shot at the big time.

It's a minor gamble to let Lovren go but there's a balance to be struck; young players need minutes to develop and if you've got too many senior players on big salaries blocking their way, they'll never get a chance. Lovren only played 15ish games last year with Gomez out for half the season so I don't think it's a big risk.

Ibe to Celtic is being rumoured tonight.

We get a cut of that if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ibe to Celtic is being rumoured tonight.

We get a cut of that if it happens.

Sounds like it'll just be a loan though... would be a good move for him though, get some regular football and get his confidence back, since it looks like he's got a few people ahead of him at Bournemouth, particularly since Wilson joined them.

Ah right no sell on clause activated so and highly unlikely we will use the buyback clause.

Remember when posters on here were happy to let Sterling go to City cause we had Ibe ready to replace him that worked out well didn't it.

Adrian slept with the Super Cup last night.

1_AdrianInsta.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Adrian slept with the Super Cup last night.

1_AdrianInsta.jpg

When you think of it.....Adrian won more in 1,5 games than Everton have in 25 odd years.

Just heard a random fact about the game last night.

When the game started Ox was 25 at the final whistle he was 26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Last season we were wannabe winners, and we played not to lose,we were tight and defensive,and took pride in our clean sheets, and knew as long as we don't concede we'll win, as we always score, it was a change from the previous season. This season we are playing like we are winners, on the front foot, acting like we are better than everyone, far too open.
    We need to go back to taking pride in the clean sheets, and keep the games tight, we'll score if we don't concede.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

The new laws re the calling of marginal offsides I.e. letting play continue is going to cause a lot of uncertainty and doubts in defenses this season. You could see it last night where players were certain it was offside and yet had to play on until VAR could make a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

ERG89 wrote: »
    Don't worry Gomez can cover right back ;)
    And if either of the centre backs are out or Robbo.
    Second choice back 4 now is:
    Gomez, Gomez, Gomez, Gomez

It's a bold strategy but what happens if Gomez gets injured?

sideswipe wrote: »
    The new laws re the calling of marginal offsides I.e. letting play continue is going to cause a lot of uncertainty and doubts in defenses this season. You could see it last night where players were certain it was offside and yet had to play on until VAR could make a call.

That will only accur in European games, league games will go by the FA rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The fans out in Philly are on top of things:

ECCNdqQXYAEML7r?format=jpg&name=small

Made all the better by the fact Stallone is an Everton fan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Last season we were wannabe winners, and we played not to lose,we were tight and defensive,and took pride in our clean sheets, and knew as long as we don't concede we'll win, as we always score, it was a change from the previous season. This season we are playing like we are winners, on the front foot, acting like we are better than everyone, far too open.
    We need to go back to taking pride in the clean sheets, and keep the games tight, we'll score if we don't concede.

Vvd alluded to it in an interview I believe. Also it seems that the midfield are failing to provide an adequate defensive screen so far and this is where many of the defensive issues are happening. Seems we are relying on Henderson, Fab, Milner etc to plug the gaps, particularly between fb and cb. For whatever reason it hasn't been happening. Noticed myself in the game Wednesday that our midfield were constantly getting caught behind the ball and seemed to lack any sort of positional discipline. We can't keep relying on last ditch defending to bail us out all of the time.

Another thing I took from the game is that our attack greatly suffers when TAA and Robertson are not starting or playing well. We are so reliant on our fullbacks getting forward to provide width and quality. Gomez has shown when played there he is not even close to Trent in that area and Robertson probably had his worst performance in a Liverpool shirt. We better hope both of them stay fit for the season and show decent form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then playing our donor body tomorrow.

Obviously the two full backs will start having played a half each the other night, Wiji likewise, wouldn't be shocked to see Origi start again with one of Salah and Mane given 25 minutes to finish them off. Milner was leggy, Fabby not so fab but he'll start. Will one of Lallana/Shaqiri make a shock start maybe in a 2/1 midfield?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I honestly see this season as a recoup from last season, a good FA Cup, Champions league run and Ill be happy. I think we are starting to expect a bit too much from a side that not long ago finished 8th.

Klopp is the type of manager I could happily get Europa League with and would still be happy for him to stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I honestly see this season as a recoup from last season, a good FA Cup, Champions league run and Ill be happy. I think we are starting to expect a bit too much from a side that not long ago finished 8th.

Klopp is the type of manager I could happily get Europa League with and would still be happy for him to stay

Doing that will see better players looking elsewhere

Doing that will see better players looking elsewhere

I feel like no matter what we do, players will always do that. I am waiting for Salah/Mane or VVD to ask for a move to someone like Barca. I don't personally understand the lure of such team, but players seem to always want to go there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't get that statement we never finished 8th with this squad :confused::confused:

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't get that statement we never finished 8th with this squad :confused::confused:

Klopps first season, we finished 8th? Am I missing something here :D

IT'S NOT THE SAME SQUAD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

:confused:
    3.5 years ago that was.

Only Firmino & Henderson are regulars from that season.

Gomez was injured

MD1990 wrote: »
    :confused:
    3.5 years ago that was.

Only Firmino & Henderson are regulars from that season.

Gomez was injured

At what point did I say its the same squad? I was just stating that we did finish 8th not long ago, our transfer business since has been nothing short of outstanding, and Klopp has seen to a lot of that.

I for one will just not be expect a title chase this season, and I am ok with it

At what point did I say its the same squad? I was just stating that we did finish 8th not long ago, our transfer business since has been nothing short of outstanding, and Klopp has seen to a lot of that.

I for one will just not be expect a title chase this season, and I am ok with it

Christ, you make a confusing statement and then try to stand over it. You said:

"I think we are starting to expect a bit too much from a side that not long ago finished 8th. "

People quite correctly disagreed that "this side" finished 8th. What point are you trying to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I think the introduction of VAR is why Klopp has decided to implement a high line this season. I think he thinks VAR will result in more off-side decisions being made which tilts the balance in favour of a defence playing a high line giving fewer (VAR allowed) goals than will be created by condensing play and thus putting the opposition under even more pressing pressure.

54&56 wrote: »
    I think the introduction of VAR is why Klopp has decided to implement a high line this season. I think he thinks VAR will result in more off-side decisions being made which tilts the balance in favour of a defence playing a high line giving fewer (VAR allowed) goals than will be created by condensing play and thus putting the opposition under even more pressing pressure.

Completely agree, you could see last season how many offside's our defense managed to get, this season, id say the number will be huge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I feel like no matter what we do, players will always do that. I am waiting for Salah/Mane or VVD to ask for a move to someone like Barca. I don't personally understand the lure of such team, but players seem to always want to go there

Better wages, Nice weather, continental lifestyle, fantastic amenities and infrastructure. It's significantly more appealing than a night in Liverpool or Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Completely agree, you could see last season how many offside's our defense managed to get, this season, id say the number will be huge

Yeah, and losing Allison as sweeper-keeper for 6 weeks or whatever it is will be a big blow for us because teams will be playing a lot of balls over the back line for an onrushing midfielder. I hope Adrian is on his toes as he'll be needed to play that role, assuming we'll keep playing such a high line - which seems likely, as evidenced against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

If we are relying on milner and Oxlade-Chamberlain to provide energy in midfield we are goosed, it's an area of the pitch where we need vitality and energy, we don't have viable youth options to call on like Frank Lampard's Chelsea's Mount.

Keita better be up for the cup and stay injury free. Even the likes of Wiji and Hendo can have periods of lower energy.
    Goes without saying we have same issues at full back too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'm going to need to get used to these late flags very quickly so. :eek:

Better wages, Nice weather, continental lifestyle, fantastic amenities and infrastructure. It's significantly more appealing than a night in Liverpool or Manchester.

For sure their wives have a lot to say about that too. Happy wife, happy life etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Adrian is a doubt for the Saints game as he injured his ankle after a supporter ran on the field during the celebrations on Wednesday night.

Do we have any fit keeper now? Milner for GK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

VAR will result in less offsides being given, for the very obvious reason that technology allows greater scrutiny of a potential decision than the human eye and brain can provide, and thus eliminate the erroneous calls made by linesmen who could not freeze frame the moment a ball was kicked and usually checked the line up to .5 seconds after it was kicked, by which time on rushing strikers could be 5 yards off side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Shagballs! Andy Lonergan it is then.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Adrian is a doubt for the Saints game as he injured his ankle after a supporter ran on the field during the celebrations on Wednesday night.

Do we have any fit keeper now? Milner for GK?

Is this for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

It's Big Andy's time to shine.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement