Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

ush wrote: »
    If his ankle is that bad why was he picked?

Eh why are you asking me, I didn't pick team. Klopp said after game that the defenders should not have passed back to Adrian so much, that they take part the blame for his mistake
    '' why pass back to keeper, you hoping the painkillers are working and he could kick it?''

Klopp said something like this.

You'd think we lost the dam game there is so much of an inquest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Didn't see any of the game but that is a brilliant 3 pts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

11 league wins on the bounce, place will be in turmoil when pts are eventually dropped. 1 defeat in 41 league games.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Goooooooaaaaaaa...........

NOT

Yeah, those Spanish commentators had it right all along. Gives them time to correct themselves.

GoooooooooooooooooGooooooooooooooooooooooGoooooooooooooooooooooGoooooooooooooooooooooooNoooahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Speak Now wrote: »
    11 league wins on the bounce, place will be in turmoil when pts are eventually dropped. 1 defeat in 41 league games.

Im looking forward to it, we haven't had a good "Klopp out" rant in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

ush wrote: »
    If his ankle is that bad why was he picked?

Because Andy Lonergan

Human nature. People get used to excellence. Liverpool fans have little to complain about so any imperfections are magnified. The quality of the team now is higher than at any point since Dalglish left the first time. It's a fantastic time to be a Liverpool supporter. It's still fun to pick holes and normal to fret about potential weaknesses.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Ox is a vital squad member.

His directness from central positions takes a pace, strength and bravery that few have. It scared and hurt City the season before last.

He's potentially a vital squad member. He has to stay fit and do the business consistently before he becomes vital. Definitely offers something extra when he's on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Speak Now wrote: »

And city's first dropped points in a longer period,shows what we are up against again. 11 wins equals club record too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Negative_G wrote: »
    Hilarious. That spelling always gets me.

Spelling his name backwards, so creative. Bound to generate at least 1-2 likes.

Yeah, thanks for resolving that. Honestly had no idea who he was talking about.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Watching back highlights again last night , we should have won that game comfortable . Yes we were under pressure in 1st half but in 2nd we could / should have scored 3 or 4

Brain farts happen like Adrian, but we had the resolve to hold out comfortable for the win.

In the past we would have draw or even lost that game after conceding. The players now have a winning mentality and steel in this squad.

Roll on next week vs Arsenal . The week break will do us good and I think we need to put down marker against the gunners.

If we keep their attack quiet we should win comfortably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

And city's first dropped points in a longer period,shows what we are up against again. 11 wins equals club record too

Pep and aguero snapping this early in the season is a great sight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Watching back highlights again last night , we should have won that game comfortable . Yes we were under pressure in 1st half but in 2nd we could / should have scored 3 or 4

Brain farts happen like Adrian, but we had the resolve to hold out comfortable for the win.

In the past we would have draw or even lost that game after conceding. The players now have a winning mentality and steel in this squad.

Roll on next week vs Arsenal . The week break will do us good and I think we need to put down marker against the gunners.

If we keep their attack quiet we should win comfortably

It's amazing how much the result changes the narrative on the performance. Liverpool did not hold out comfortably, you obviously didn't see Ings miss? It was dreadful, one he'd expect to score 9/10 times. If that goes in it's a "collapse" and a "choke" but it was the exact same Liverpool performance, him making a solid connection on that ball or not was nothing to do with how Liverpool played and yet it changes the whole narrative.

You're right that the game should have been won before that because Liverpool missed some great chances but to say they held out comfortably given the nature of that miss to draw the game is stretching it massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Some of our squad players like Shaqiri & Brewster must be wondering when they we will get some mins. Maybe not until the league.

ET Wednesday & couldnt even get any minutes Saturday. We are quite lucky our front 3 are so durable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

MD1990 wrote: »
    Some of our squad players like Shaqiri & Brewster must be wondering when they we will get some mins. Maybe not until the league.

ET Wednesday & couldnt even get any minutes Saturday. We are quite lucky our front 3 are so durable.

Atleast Shaq is getting on the bench, brewster is sitting in the stands. Probably be better off getting loaned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brewster is yet to play one second of senior football and you have some complaining about him not getting a chance like he is Messi or something.

I will take the European Cup winning managers way of dealing with players and how he likes to integrate players into the team instead listening to calls for those players to be loaned out every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

He could be the next Dani Pachecho

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Brewster is yet to play one second of senior football and you have some complaining about him not getting a chance like he is Messi or something.

I will take the European Cup winning managers way of dealing with players and how he likes to integrate players into the team instead listening to calls for those players to be loaned out every week.

It's almost like some posters memories get wiped at the start of every season.
    Last year it took Fabinho ages to get into the team and we had posters calling for him to be loaned out or in some cases even sold in January.
    The year before it took Robertson ages and we had posters asking why we were signing players from relegated teams anyway.
    Jesus Christ, lads...calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Owl. wrote: »
    It's almost like some posters memories get wiped at the start of every season.
    Last year it took Fabinho ages to get into the team and we had posters calling for him to be loaned out or in some cases even sold in January.
    The year before it took Robertson ages and we had posters asking why we were signing players from relegated teams anyway.
    Jesus Christ, lads...calm down.

The starting point is hysteria and we go on from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Pep and aguero snapping this early in the season is a great sight

I dont know man, for me it showed how passionate they still are despite winning 2 in a row. Aguero did want to come off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

DrumSteve wrote: »
    He could be the next Dani Pachecho

Everyone wants another Owen or Fowler but unfortunately the reality is that this is more likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Adrian nearly had too many options when he received that back pass, he had two players in the centre one on the left and the safest and best option to his right, he even glanced to his right before he got the ball, anyway it's done now, Allison made the same mistake this time last year and I thought Adrian did really well otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Owl. wrote: »

presume plenty of concussion tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

These deep fake videos are getting rather scary.

4 weeks off over next 3 games. Week before Arse, another week before we face Burley, and then two weeks off before we face Newcastle Brewster needs a sniff in one of these, even 5 minutes at the end. To much down time can be demoralizing for a player not getting a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

It's amazing how much the result changes the narrative on the performance. Liverpool did not hold out comfortably, you obviously didn't see Ings miss? It was dreadful, one he'd expect to score 9/10 times. If that goes in it's a "collapse" and a "choke" but it was the exact same Liverpool performance, him making a solid connection on that ball or not was nothing to do with how Liverpool played and yet it changes the whole narrative.

You're right that the game should have been won before that because Liverpool missed some great chances but to say they held out comfortably given the nature of that miss to draw the game is stretching it massively.

Yeah I forgot that ings miss in the above post . It was just like Abraham miss the other night

But aside from his sitter we were not backs against the wall last ditch defending. That’s my point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I cant believe how sharp Mane looks straight off the bat. The goal he scored from the edge of the box is something new from him too. His pressing for Bobbys goal was excellent, he literally made that second goal happen. Early indications are that he is going to have a stand out season, he'll be right up there for the golden boot again too.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling Mane is up for this season more than any footballer in Europe he wants to be the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

4 weeks off over next 3 games. Week before Arse, another week before we face Burley, and then two weeks off before we face Newcastle Brewster needs a sniff in one of these, even 5 minutes at the end. To much down time can be demoralizing for a player not getting a chance.

It’s 2 weeks with no club games but players will be travelling for international games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I cant believe how sharp Mane looks straight off the bat. The goal he scored from the edge of the box is something new from him too. His pressing for Bobbys goal was excellent, he literally made that second goal happen. Early indications are that he is going to have a stand out season, he'll be right up there for the golden boot again too.
    Klopp has spoken about how the only person in the group that doesn't believe he is a world class player is Mane himself. I think that after the experience of the last two seasons and the AFCON tournament this summer Mane is starting to believe in himself.

He hasn't had a proper break - only two weeks without football for him this summer. That is similar to the international breaks during the season, definitely not enough time for him to lose any sharpness so in effect his base level for the start of the season is pretty much his normal operating level. His current sharpness is an indication of the level that the rest of the players have to reach and will do over the course of the season.

The downside is that he will need to be managed during the season to prevent silly muscle injuries which could be avoided. Alisson suffered such an injury 36 minutes into the season - taking the players' fitness levels for granted is not a luxury for us if competing for the league title is the objective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Shankly's Fire is on bbc scotland tonight at 7.15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

I can see Elliott getting game time before Brewster. I do think Brewster will get game time but it won't be till the second half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I have a feeling Mane is up for this season more than any footballer in Europe he wants to be the best in the world.

Totally. Apparently he said in an interview before yesterdays game that he's not tired because "tiredness is only in the mind". Mentality monster indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

MD1990 wrote: »

Shaqiri is a case of being dropped off a cliff since the away game at utd in February he's played just a handful of matches since & only started the home Barca game as we were bare bones. Key assists vs Newcastle & Barca in that time but spent the majority of games as an unused sub.
    Brewster I'd love to see play with the regulars as he did well early on in pre season but I don't remember seeing him since Napoli hammered us & he came on when the game was over. Definitely think he's an option going forward if we're going to develop any more youth players someone like that needs to be looked at beyond playing the league cup with Lallana types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think Klopp will rotate especially the midfield this season. We have alot of depth there and Keita still to add to it.

Mane continues to just be an incredible player, the acceleration he has and the pace he can shift the ball across makes him unplayable. He seems determined to outshine salah this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

What's with the rush over playing brewster? He's been out for a year he needs time.

This from a recent update on where he's at.
    Jurgen Klopp is a huge fan of the teenager. Brewster was a major part of his pre-season plans and he scored four goals but has since dropped to the U23 team because he has struggled to match the first-team intensity.

Speaking about Brewster’s fitness, Critchley told The Echo: “Rhian needs to build up volume of football. He’s had a good pre-season where he has stayed fit and has managed some minutes for the first team and scored a couple of goals for them.

“He just has to keep playing games. If he does that, I’m sure at some point his fitness and general all-round game, co-ordination, his agility, his touch, his awareness, that will come back. You have to remember how long he was out for. There were really good signs from him.

He'll get minutes but won't be anywhere near a regular until much later in the season.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rhian-brewster-klopp-liverpool-news-16737185.amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ERG89 wrote: »
    Shaqiri is a case of being dropped off a cliff since the away game at utd in February he's played just a handful of matches since & only started the home Barca game as we were bare bones. Key assists vs Newcastle & Barca in that time but spent the majority of games as an unused sub.
    Brewster I'd love to see play with the regulars as he did well early on in pre season but I don't remember seeing him since Napoli hammered us & he came on when the game was over. Definitely think he's an option going forward if we're going to develop any more youth players someone like that needs to be looked at beyond playing the league cup with Lallana types.

What are you saying exactly?

Shaquiri dropped off a cliff in what way? Surely can't be form on the basis he hasn't had enough games to be judged.

He has been used so sparingly but as you say came up trumps in the Barca game when called upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

noodler wrote: »
    What are you saying exactly?

Shaquiri dropped off a cliff in what way? Surely can't be form on the basis he hasn't had enough games to be judged.

Dropping off a cliff it in terms of selection. He was coming off the bench fairly consistently prior to then but after that game he made one appearance (very late on) in the next 9 league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

He has been used so sparingly but as you say came up trumps in the Barca game when called upon.

His cross to Gini is obviously invaluable now but Shaqiri's performance against Barcelona was easily his worst for the club, he created half of Barcelona's chances by just constantly passing the ball right to them in our own half. I just went back and searched his name on the date of the game and these were the general opinions of him during the game :p

shaq.png

In saying all that one poor half of football doesn't make him a bad player, and I'm hoping to see him get more minutes too, even if they are just off the bench in games that are already dead. Maybe we would have seen him get 10 minutes yesterday had the game remained 2-0.

His cross to Gini is obviously invaluable now but Shaqiri's performance against Barcelona was easily his worst for the club, he created half of Barcelona's chances by just constantly passing the ball right to them in our own half. I just went back and searched his name on the date of the game and these were the general opinions of him during the game :p

shaq.png

In saying all that one poor half of football doesn't make him a bad player, and I'm hoping to see him get more minutes too, even if they are just off the bench in games that are already dead. Maybe we would have seen him get 10 minutes yesterday had the game remained 2-0.

But you get 20 posts overreacting when a mistake is made on this thread.

Not sure that's proof of anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

But you get 20 posts overreacting when a mistake is made on this thread.

Not sure that's proof of anything.

Okay but like, you watched the game right? You saw him play, he was really terrible.

Okay but like, you watched the game right? You saw him play, he was really terrible.

Again, exaggeration.

I saw an outstanding cross for the equaliser.

Getting away from the wider point here. He hasn't played enough to be judged in recent months.

You can have faith that he must not be doing it in training if you like, but it would make use question the lack of reinforcements in the summer even more of that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Shaqiri is a half decent squad player at best. A couple of flash moments a season is all you get. Some of them very important albeit. He poses no threat or competition to any first team regular starter. Never understood why we bought him even at the price we paid.

Shaq played 1424 minutes for the club last season and scored 6 goals and got 5 assists in those minutes that is pretty Damm good and if he plays the same minutes this season and gets the same return that will do considering who he is replacing in the front three.

If he scores the winner again against Man U and gets an assist in the Champions League semi final I for one will be happy.

Shaq is a squad player and a good one to have.

Did I read somewhere that Mane has 20 goals in his last 26 apps. Unreal.

Klopp has transformed our front 3 from top players to world class. Guy is a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Again, exaggeration.

I saw an outstanding cross for the equaliser.

Ah here I have to back up the other poster here. He was awful that night we had no other option. Not an exaggeration

I remember everybody around me talking about replacing him at half time, it was well acknowledged that he was having a poor game and the groans from the crowd tell you all.

An outstanding cross once does not a good performance make

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

ERG89 wrote: »
    Dropping off a cliff it in terms of selection. He was coming off the bench fairly consistently prior to then but after that game he made one appearance (very late on) in the next 9 league games.
    Shaqiri had a groin injury which is the reason he was out of the squad - Klopp spoke about it during the summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement