Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Missed this yesterday, Henderson being subbed on and waving off van Dijk when he goes to give him the armband.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

You'd think we lost the dam game there is so much of an inquest.
    Eh why are you asking me, I didn't pick team. Klopp said after game that the defenders should not have passed back to Adrian so much, that they take part the blame for his mistake
    '' why pass back to keeper, you hoping the painkillers are working and he could kick it?''

Klopp said something like this.
    Good man Toby fighting the good fight.

Klopp said the swelling on Adrian's ankle had gone down sufficiently by 10AM on the morning of the game for it to be assessed. At that point it was decided he could play with pain killing injections in his ankle.

People judging the incident without taking that into account is ridiculous but it's not without precedent - Gomez received similar treatment in 2017/18 for his performance at right back against Stoke. On the day he couldn't pass the ball if his life depended upon it - every pass/cross was under or over hit. The reason for this was because he had no sensation in his foot due to the injections he received before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Missed this yesterday, Henderson being subbed on and waving off van Dijk when he goes to give him the armband.

giphy.gif

Love stuff like this. Forget about the formalities and get on with the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

Talisman wrote: »

Klopp said the swelling on Adrian's ankle had gone down sufficiently by 10AM on the morning of the game for it to be assessed. At that point it was decided he could play with pain killing injections in his ankle.

People judging the incident without taking that into account is ridiculous but it's not without precedent - Gomez received similar treatment in 2017/18 for his performance at right back against Stoke. On the day he couldn't pass the ball if his life depended upon it - every pass/cross was under or over hit. The reason for this was because he had no sensation in his foot due to the injections he received before the game.

If u had no sensation in your foot could you even walk properly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

What's the latest on Alisson and Keita?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If I had to guess neither will be used till after the international break and the club will use the injuries to stop them being called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Shaqiri had a groin injury which is the reason he was out of the squad - Klopp spoke about it during the summer.

He was on the bench for every game bar 1..... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

We're playing ****e enough and we're top of the league, we did'nt start to play well until Christmas last season, we have a good team we'll be grand, just need to get a run of games into the legs of the those that spent a lot of time injured, Gomez, Keita, Ox etc

Now if Harry Wilson can hit in a few 30 yard bangers next weekend that would be a good start to his loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Looks forward to a six fingered goal celebration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

I'd put Kelleher in goal next game. I'd tell him if he proves himself he gets the CC. Should wake up Adrian.
    Hoever and WDB getting a start each before CL begins would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

ElTel wrote: »
    I'd put Kelleher in goal next game. I'd tell him if he proves himself he gets the CC. Should wake up Adrian.

Should that be VDB (van den Berg)? Had to look up the squad for a WDB :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I love the relative calm of a Monday following a weekend win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

If I had to guess neither will be used till after the international break and the club will use the injuries to stop them being called up.

Brazil squad was announced last week, Alisson isn't in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I love the relative calm of a Monday following a weekend win.

Monday Meltdowns were the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

giphy.gif

hmmm yeah i get your point and its admirable.... i kind of want him take it though. He's the captain like.

No biggie but nothing better to talk about because we're amazing.

In fairness remember how upset we all were because he couldn't make Balotelli not take a penalty. I think captaincy is overrated in football in terms of influence. It's more about how you lift the trophy nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

gafferino wrote: »
    hmmm yeah i get your point and its admirable.... i kind of want him take it though. He's the captain like.

He was captain though. I'd imagine if something happened and the ref needed to talk to the captain, he'd have talk to Hendo. Just wasn't bothered taking armband during play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just to note again, Chelsea were fúcking absymal in the second half yesterday, a day later back after the Super Cup.

they had 2 shots in the last 60 minutes if i'm right.

it is no small thing that we won away from home on Saturday, scoring our goals in the middle portion of the game (i.e. not getting out of the blocks quickly and trying to wind the game down, but working our way into it and scoring the goals).

very impressive, despite the obvious lapses.

mentality giants.

Chelsea also had two days less rest before the final compared to us and dominated us for a lot of that game, I wouldn't be taking anything out of there games for what it means to Liverpool and Liverpool's preparations for games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I just looked at the table. Didn't realise we're too. Happy days :)

We're too what?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We're too what?

Liverpool Liverpool top of the league :pac:

We're too what?

Unbearable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

I see Gilesly and a few other pundits pushing this 'high line' defensive approach from Liverpool as 'madness'.

Start of every season there is always some odd talking point thats pushed and quickly forgotten about after a few weeks once the wins keep coming.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    I see Gilesly and a few other pundits pushing this 'high line' defensive approach from Liverpool as 'madness'.

Start of every season there is always some odd talking point thats pushed and quickly forgotten about after a few weeks once the wins keep coming.

Giles was calling Klopp a one trick pony start of last season...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's what the pundits have hung their hat on so far, but they don't see the advantages for us.

VAR - will catch the offsides because there is no wiggle room.

and

Our centre halves/full backs can cover ground pretty quickly, and our keeper reads the game.

I think they outweigh the risks and we compress at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

6 wrote: »
    Giles was calling Klopp a one trick pony start of last season...

Ya he seems to think its all "go, go, go!!" with Klopp whereas last season proved in fact quite the opposite but I think these pundits find it very hard to back down and stubbornly stick with their cliches and go to phrases.

my problem is we're giving up too many chances. I don't remember it being like this last year. We were carved apart several times in all three games. Southampton could have equalised near the end. Very little of it had to do with high line defending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

my problem is we're giving up too many chances. I don't remember it being like this last year. We were carved apart several times in all three games. Southampton could have equalised near the end. Very little of it had to do with high line defending.

I think we'll see a big improvement Saturday, bit of rest for the players and Klopp will have some time to work on things tactically.

ERG89 wrote: »
    He was on the bench for every game bar 1..... :o
    The embarrassment smiley was a nice touch and very appropriate on your part. :)

During the period in question Shaqiri wasn't called up to the Swiss squad for the Euro qualifiers against Georgia and Denmark. The Swiss FA said he was injured at the time and Klopp also mentioned it.

Why Xherdan Shaqiri hasn’t featured for Liverpool in over a month (March 26th 2019)
    There have been some suggestions that Klopp and Shaqiri had a falling out after the Reds boss said he was “fully fit” three weeks ago despite not making an appearance. However it appears the winger suffered a groin injury not long after.

Shaqiri dropped out of Switzerland’s squad for the international break owing to the injury, with Klopp revealing he has struggled with the injury despite being on the substitutes bench in recent weeks.

“[He is] good, much better,” Klopp said. “Shaq, since a couple of weeks [ago], has had some problems with the groin.

He trained, not how he could train, but was still in the squad and all that stuff because we didn’t have a lot of options.

Ya he seems to think its all "go, go, go!!" with Klopp whereas last season proved in fact quite the opposite but I think these pundits find it very hard to back down and stubbornly stick with their cliches and go to phrases.

Agreed.

Giles while seeming like a a nice chap is miles of the pace for current punditry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Of the 3 games we have played so far, we have faced an average of 15 shots against us per game. It's a lack of control in possession which is resulting in higher turnovers and a lack of closing down in midfield, and partially due to not putting away early chances in games.

We could do with Keita & Ox having a bumper season and Hendo/Wiji/Fab back to full throttle, all things which can be addressed along with the finishing which comes with sharpness (only Mane & Firmino look sharp so far) so I'm not worried.

Just delighted we have 3 wins on the board in such tricky circumstances.

ElTel wrote: »
    Throwing Kelleher into action on a whim is not going to be productive, the next game is against Arsenal - if Adrian is fit he should play no question.

Kelleher isn't likely to get first team game time until the third round of the Carabao Cup which is the last week of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

garra wrote: »
    Of the 3 games we have played so far, we have faced an average of 15 shots against us per game.

On average only 6 on target in the two league games, and 5 v Chelsea in 120 minutes. So we are keeping them at arms length, and maybe they are testing our Adrian where they wouldn't with Ali.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

We have given up some amount of chances compared to the closing stages of last year. Do people think its just because the midfield and defence havent been up to speed as yet or because they're still bedding in a new system? Probably a mixture of both really but Klopp showed last season how he could change the system to concede less goals which we did superbly. Id be confident he'll make this change good too. On another note it is refreshing that he is changing things up, if you play the same way for too long teams suss you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Think with some of our poor defending it is easy to forget some of our play in the 2nd half against Southampton was superb.

We are much more fluent in attack compared to this time last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Vicxas wrote: »
    Monday Meltdowns were the best!

They’re now called ‘it’s ten minutes since kick off and we haven’t scored’ meltdowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Muahahaha wrote: »
    We have given up some amount of chances compared to the closing stages of last year. Do people think its just because the midfield and defence havent been up to speed as yet or because they're still bedding in a new system? Probably a mixture of both really but Klopp showed last season how he could change the system to concede less goals which we did superbly. Id be confident he'll make this change good too. On another note it is refreshing that he is changing things up, if you play the same way for too long teams suss you out.

It's the players not the system - so far we've seen Wiji as DM, Gomez as RB, Adrian in goals it'll settle down even if Klopp is happy to rotate the midfield options as reported in the 10.30 puff pieces last night - that said I'd expect Fabby to be the deepest MF in 75-80% of games.

Someone with a more secure memory can tell me if I'm wrong but it feels like Liverpool play better in the second half in more games than not.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Think with some of our poor defending it is easy to forget some of our play in the 2nd half against Southampton was superb.

We are much more fluent in attack compared to this time last year.

And that's the trade off, our defensive was brilliant last year but the attack wasn't as fluid. By right we should of scored 4 in that half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think we’re really missing a trick by not taking Coutinho on loan. Cheap loan fee.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    They’re now called ‘it’s ten minutes since kick off and we haven’t scored’ meltdowns.

The one I remember from last year was the Newcastle away game. Needed some amount of fortitude to get through the thread in real time. Yet another thing we ended up having to be thankful to Origi for. How's his statue coming along?

doc_17 wrote: »
    I think we’re really missing a trick by not taking Coutinho on loan. Cheap loan fee.

I'd agree on the face of it €20 odd million including wages for a year is relatively cheap for a player of his quality. There's probably more too it than that, that his style of play doesn't suit, something perceived wrong with his character or that Klopp simply doesn't like him it could be a lot of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

we've also played 3 teams that decided to play with no fear. if a team commits numbers to attack you, you're going to have issues, no matter who you are.

Norwich, we looked ropey, because they were brave. but we still flattened them 4-1.

Chelsea, we looked ropey, but Lampard plays a style that sees them commit. we still got the cup.

Southampton don't play fearfully either. Hassenhuttl plays in a modern way - counter pressing and attacking in numbers. We were fúcking knackered and still won.

a game a week for the next 2 weeks now. lovely.

I'd agree on the face of it €20 odd million including wages for a year is relatively cheap for a player of his quality. There's probably more too it than that, that his style of play doesn't suit, something perceived wrong with his character or that Klopp simply doesn't like him it could be a lot of things.

I still don't think they give us that sort of deal. We dumped them out the cl embarrassingly and we won the cl. Makes no sense for them strengthening us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

20m for one season. It's quite a lot. Plus we'd have been shooting ourselves in the foot by taking him, We wanted him to stay put and make the 100th appearance for Barca, as that's worth millions in add ons. Would be silly for us to have took him and prevented that add on kicking in, this move to Bayern is Barca sticking it to us in a way. They get 20m from Bayern in fee and wages, and save another 18m by keeping Coutinho under 100 appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

I see Gilesly and a few other pundits pushing this 'high line' defensive approach from Liverpool as 'madness.

I heard this on OTB yesterday. I was thinking that maybe Klopp is doing this because
    A- it’s less tiring on players(less chasing back/running after players)
    B- we’re short on defenders. Less running means less risk of injury in a game
    C- a few defenders started back late to training (iirc?), so not 100% fit

I think once season beds in and people are up to full fitness that we’ll see a revert to last seasons defensive structure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Liverpool Liverpool top of the league :pac:

If United fail to win tonight, Liverpool will play Arsenal at the weekend as the only 2 teams with 6pts. Either way this weekend will already be a game against joint leaders.

Just been looking at the offsides.
    1 : 3 vs Man City
    0 : 5 vs Norwich
    2 : 11 vs Chelsea
    1 : 4 vs Southampton
    Average : 1 vs 5.75

Those numbers certainly suggest it's an acceptable risk - the approach is killing a significant number of attacks in each game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

8-10 wrote: »
    If United fail to win tonight, Liverpool will play Arsenal at the weekend as the only 2 teams with 6pts. Either way this weekend will already be a game against joint leaders.

It's a big un . Klopp would hold record for straight wins in the league also, joint now at 11 wins with Rafa. Even though this is across two seasons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement