Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No they are not.

Nor admins either. They are only available to techy guys with very restricted access who query the database, and this will only be done when there is a legal order to do so. That position has been stated multiple times.

I'm amazed someone with Harry's milage here thought mods can read PMs other than their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

5starpool wrote: »
    Nor admins either. They are only available to techy guys with very restricted access who query the database, and this will only be done when there is a legal order to do so. That position has been stated multiple times.

I'm amazed someone with Harry's milage here thought mods can read PMs other than their own.

A quick look at the dispute resolution page would confirm this. You will see mods and Cmods requesting PM’s between parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Back to actual football matters Keita could be out for a while is the latest news tonight.

Wheety wrote: »
    Did Rafa do 11? I know Rodgers did. While 12 is the all time record :eek:

Klopp is the quickest Liverpool manager in history to reach 300 points. He's done it in 146 games. Took Kenny 150 to do it in the 80s. (I presume that is adjusted for the 80s games to be based on 3pts, but I read it on the LFC website). Edit: It's obviously adjusted or else it would mean that Kenny won his first 150 games :D

I have to butt in here. You are either very young and are making an incorrect assumption, or have a bad memory, but 3 points for a win came in a few years before Kennys first stint as manager.

Keita could be out for a while is the latest news tonight.

Mr Crystal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have to butt in here. You are either very young and are making an incorrect assumption, or have a bad memory, but 3 points for a win came in a few years before Kennys first stint as manager.

A quick Google shows it came in in 1981. Thought it was earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

Back to actual football matters Keita could be out for a while is the latest news tonight.

Where are you reading that ? I can’t find anything newer than the club statement before last game. No mention of time past that game.

Maddock's piece in tomorrows Mirror tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

cjmc wrote: »
    A quick Google shows it came in in 1981. Thought it was earlier

This change cost us the league 38 years later ;)

Also goal average would have won it for us in 1989, 14 years too late this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Crikey it looks like we will see Milner and Lallana shuffling about if any of the primary midfielders need rest or get injured, with Oxlade and Shaq as the wildcards. Was thinking we could do with Keita's energy about the pitch this season, but with 1 game per week for a while we should be ok for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Speak Now wrote: »
    This change cost us the league 38 years later ;)

Also goal average would have won it for us in 1989, 14 years too late this time!

They keep changing the rules just to screw us over in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

He's getting on now, mind isn't what it used to be...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Only two games in and only two teams with 100% record (which will end this weekend) with Utd/city/spurs having three easy matches this weekend vital we put arsenal away the weekend
    I know it’s only August but it feels like the run in already 🙈🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yeah, I realise that now. When I posted I had mixed it up with the prem going from 22 teams to 20 for some reason :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The offside trap we’re playing reminds me of how we defended free kicks last season. Pundits went on and on about it talking about how we’d be caught out, and every match had numerous posts on here talking about how we ‘got lucky’ multiple times in each game by catching teams offside. Luck has little to do with it, we either catch them off or we don’t and the first mistake will be followed by ‘I told you so’ comments ignoring the 99 times it worked previously. If we implement this as well as the free kick defending there will be nothing to worry about.

precisely.

our analysts have obviously worked out that the odds in our favour that there won't be a goal if we play a high line; knowing that there will be the very odd time we'll get caught. but they've decided it's obviously a better tactic than trying to head the ball away from our penalty spot.

it's the same sort of thing that Pep gets criticised for in terms of how his teams defend set pieces. i'm open to correction, but I'm pretty sure he's said that he doesn't focus a lot on set pieces because he doesn't get any joy out of it. he has made the calculated gamble that if his team presses the ball as high as they do, and control the football as much as they do, and spend their extra training time perfecting that, then they should be able to defend the odd ball into the box.

no team can do absolutely everything perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Regarding the high line, isn't it also something that they will get better at as well with more games under their belt and within 10 -12 games it will be smoother than it appears to be now?

Do people think Klopp and his coaches are stupid and don't work things out?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Also, it can be managed during a game if it's not working :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

murpho999 wrote: »
    Regarding the high line, isn't it also something that they will get better at as well with more games under their belt and within 10 -12 games it will be smoother than it appears to be now?

Do people think Klopp and his coaches are stupid and don't work things out?

Also against the likes of Norwich and Southampton its fine, there is nothing to suggest we will set up the same way against Arsenal this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Think the biggest reason for our defensive decline so far is our players are out of form.

Van Dijk probably made more mistakes in the last 4 games than all of last season. He has still played well but has made some errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

MD1990 wrote: »
    Think the biggest reason for our defensive decline so far is our players are out of form.

Van Dijk probably made more mistakes in the last 4 games than all of last season. He has still played well but has made some errors.

The one that has worried me the most was Yoshida outjumping him for a header on goal against Southampton. Luckily for him, Adrian made a greatly save, and most of the attention went on that instead.

FitzShane wrote: »
    The one that has worried me the most was Yoshida outjumping him for a header on goal against Southampton. Luckily for him, Adrian made a greatly save, and most of the attention went on that instead.

Poor for Ings miss as well.

We dont seem to be tracking runners the whole back 4. Risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Getting very worried about Saturday , defensively we look suspect , have not been able to keep a clean sheet so far this season and up against a bang in form Aubameyang .
    Its going to be a long week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Anyone else worried about the prospect of being worried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Anyone else worried about the prospect of being worried?

Not yet. But I am a little worried that I might get worried about the prospect of being worried...

Getting very worried about Saturday , defensively we look suspect , have not been able to keep a clean sheet so far this season and up against a bang in form Aubameyang .

Here we go, so you don't they'll work on that?

Also, you don't think our front three will cause Arsenal's weak defence any problems either?

They've only scored two goal against Newcastle and one against Burnley whilst conceding one. Hardly earth shattering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good to see Sturridge continuing the grand tradition for faded names of finding a gig in Turkey's Super Lig.

Super Gunners Fact - Firmino has scored against them at Anfield every season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Not yet. But I am a little worried that I might get worried about the prospect of being worried...
    yeah I'm worried..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Good to see Sturridge continuing the grand tradition for faded names of finding a gig in Turkey's Super Lig.

Super Gunners Fact - Firmino has scored against them at Anfield every season.

Even better fact (that will 100% get people upset for jinxing) Bobby, Mane, and Salah have all scored in every single game against Arsenal at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Even better fact (that will 100% get people upset for jinxing) Bobby, Mane, and Salah have all scored in every single game against Arsenal at Anfield.

Sigh, I was going to take Harry to task for his jinxing but got distracted by all the Bobby goals.

That's hardly deliberate! We have been changing the 3 CMs every game, and 2 of the back 4, so it's a continuity problem. Plus Ings is a very quick and tricky guy. No shame in losing him in the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The one that has worried me the most was Yoshida outjumping him for a header on goal against Southampton.

Chamberlain was meant to be marking Yoshida but completely lost him & he got the jump on Van Dijk. Not sure what he's expected to do in that position, a runner will always get the jump on a static defender unless there is a large size discrepancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We have 13 shots on target in 2 games and 6 goals, while conceding two. One down to Adrian.
    I think we'll be fine. Nothing to fear that's for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Poor for Ings miss as well.

Ox was marking Yoshida and just left him run without tracking him. A running jump vs standing jump from VVD would have made a difference too.

Adrian probably should have come to take that cross , he was half thinking to come but went back on his goalline.

BTW Ward Prowse has great delivery :) (Charlie Adam mkII)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I don't really blame van Dijk for not getting to Yoshida on that header, it was well within the 6 yard box and Adrian should have been coming out to claim it. He even starts to come for it and then changes his mind and runs back to the line.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

giphy.gif
    I've meant to ask this before - does anyone know the reasoning behind swapping the fullbacks when defending corners? It doesn't always happen but I've noticed it a few times and that clip is an example of it - Robertson and TAA are on the opposite sides of the 6 yard box to what you would normally expect.

Talisman wrote: »
    I've meant to ask this before - does anyone know the reasoning behind swapping the fullbacks when defending corners? It doesn't always happen but I've noticed it a few times and that clip is an example of it - Robertson and TAA are on the opposite sides of the 6 yard box to what you would normally expect.

To get them into their natural foot for clearing?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Talisman wrote: »

their stronger foot for blocking goes across the goal, less chance of slicing into your own net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Dickerty wrote: »
    To get them into their natural foot for clearing?
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    their stronger foot for blocking goes across the goal, less chance of slicing into your own net.

I've thought that too but they don't always swap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sometimes you have to applaud the ball into the box, it was a great corner with whip and dip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Find it a bit mad to see people worrying about the next game, talking about defensive frailties etc, I think the Pool have had a great start to the season, first month or so the only important thing is getting points on the board, not how the team plays.

Pool will hammer Arsenal, Sokratis and Luiz back tracking against a Liverpool counter attack is going to be fun to watch.

• Advertisement

Find it a bit mad to see people worrying about the next game, talking about defensive frailties etc, I think the Pool have had a great start to the season, first month or so the only important thing is getting points on the board, not how the team plays.

Pool will hammer Arsenal, Sokratis and Luiz back tracking against a Liverpool counter attack is going to be fun to watch.

The same could be said for Arsenal with the pace of Pepe, Aubameyang and Lacazette putting pressure on the new highline Liverpool are playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I can't see a hammering, can see a high scoring game for sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I can't see a hammering, can see a high scoring game for sure though.

It's got 4-3 written all over it, I think. At least that's what you would guess with our high line and their soft defence and two very potent attacks.

Cue: 0-0 draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Arsenal have conceded a butt-load of goals at Anfield recently. They will be a hell of a lot more worried than Liverpool. Think they'll try to keep it tight but I'm not sure they are able to play that way yet with all their changes.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Lacazette and Pepe start on the bench as they look to keep Liverpool out. Would be great to see an early 3 goal blast from Liverpool to settle it early (I know that sounds ridiculously demanding but this team are capable of it!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Just look at Arsenal's defence and midfield that have lined out the first two games of the season, kids and very average players through out. If our midfield and front three can't run all over them I'll be shocked. Yes their front three (not that he'll play all three, as dmigsy says above he could very likely only play one) are very good but Arsenal can't dog out a game. We'll score at least three and stroll to the win. They're weak and will break once the screw is turned.

I am quite sure the defense will up their game against Arsenal. Track runners etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Anyone here signed up to The Athletic? Have seen a lot of buzz about it and am tempted, but am wondering if anyone using it could tell me what they think.

Thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

jasonb wrote: »
    Anyone here signed up to The Athletic? Have seen a lot of buzz about it and am tempted, but am wondering if anyone using it could tell me what they think.

Thanks...

I've only noticed Agent C mention it. I wouldn't be too bothered myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Doesn't seem worth it to me either tbh.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Doesn't seem worth it to me either tbh.

€3.99 per month for an annual sub is not bad in fairness. You can't expect journalism to survive for nothing.

I might try the trial and see what the articles are like. James Pearse, ex of Liverpool Echo is there now if anyone misses him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement