Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Sell Salah as Neville say next summer for £200m and bring in Sanho and Mbappe with the Nike deal.

I'd sell Salah before Mane.

Was discussing this with mates recently too, we all said the same thing. Get more money for Salah too. Sadio isn't as fashionable, yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Talk of a deal with Nike that will blow every other shirt deal out of the water. Could be worth over 100m a season.
    €155M (~£140M) is the value of Nike's deal with Barcelona which began last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Any shirt deal will also then be matched my rivals as they can point to it as the going rate. Still nice though. Would make those football management sims interesting these days. Last time I played them was about 12 years ago and you were trying to get an American or Far East team to become your partner. They were accurate enough as to the importance of a global reach and the difference it can make to your chances.

Nike make sh!te kits, look at the state of the Chelsea and Barca home kits this season. Whoever pays the most is good though.

Quite like NBs stuff. Always preferred Adidas, the Arsenal home this season is a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

.G. wrote: »
    Nike make sh!te kits, look at the state of the Chelsea and Barca home kits this season. Whoever pays the most is good though.

Quite like NBs stuff. Always preferred Adidas, the Arsenal home this season is a thing of beauty.

Best thing about the NB deal is that the club shop is run by the club, not NB. If we get into bed with Nike or Adidas, those days are gone and the club shops will turn into soulless, recycled tat stores they use for all the other clubs with our crest stamped on.

Now with that said, if signing with Nike means we get Mbappé, I’ll tattoo their logo on my arse. You can bookmark that. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I despise those Nike kits. So bland and boring and carbon copies of each other's. Well basically have a red spurs kit with a Liverpool badge on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

martyos121 wrote: »
    And Arda Turan as well. It’s finally happening!

He just has to serve a 12 year sentence first.

This will be a really interesting case to see play out I think... He should definitely be seeing jail time - put a famous singer in hospital, then followed him with an illegally obtained gun to the hospital and fired off a round - but I bet he'll end up getting off since he's very close friends with Erdogan.

Next trial date is mid September I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

They're two kits I really like this season.

The yellow arsenal kit though...thing of beauty!

FitzShane wrote: »
    I despise those Nike kits. So bland and boring and carbon copies of each other's. Well basically have a red spurs kit with a Liverpool badge on it.
    The white spurs kit is worth £30M per season - the red one would be worth multiples of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This will be a really interesting case to see play out I think... He should definitely be seeing jail time - put a famous singer in hospital, then followed him with an illegally obtained gun to the hospital and fired off a round - but I bet he'll end up getting off since he's very close friends with Erdogan.

Next trial date is mid September I think.

Yeah he’ll get away with a slap on the wrist, more than likely. When the president of his country (and one who’s not afraid to use his influence) was the primary witness at Turan’s wedding not that long ago, I don’t think he’ll be losing any sleep over this case.

Solid signing for next summer though, he’ll finally solve our problems on the right wing.......:pac:

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    Any shirt deal will also then be matched my rivals as they can point to it as the going rate. Still nice though.
    A mega deal for Liverpool will give the club a significant financial boost for a number of seasons. Our main rivals have 5-13 years to run on their current deals.

£75M : Man Utd (2015-2024)
    £60M : Arsenal (2019-2024), Chelsea (2017-2032) and Man City (2019-2029)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Talk of a deal with Nike that will blow every other shirt deal out of the water. Could be worth over 100m a season.

I'd expect United to better the deal when they renew in three (I think?) years time. Although they seem to have a clause in their current deal where they lose a decent amount of the fee if they fail to qualify for the CL two years in a row. I wonder do we have anything similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Has it been mentioned how long Liverpools contract with Nike will be for?

Chelsea's shirt deal running till 2032 is a bit mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

VVD wages being doubled with new contract offer? Not saying it's undeserved of course but is it true? Wonder if I try harder at work I can use the same argument.

He's likely to be crowned the best player in the world this year, it's the going rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Sell Salah as Neville say next summer for £200m and bring in Sanho and Mbappe with the Nike deal.

I'd sell Salah before Mane.
    Was discussing this with mates recently too, we all said the same thing. Get more money for Salah too. Sadio isn't as fashionable, yet!

Neville desperate to start spreading negative vibes without realising that it's something that LFC could well be already planning for. Who knows? Wouldn't be the end of the world if it happens.

If Salah goes in the summer it'll probably be for $250m, or something ridiculous such is his profile now, and they could conceivably replace him with Mbappe. Replacing a 28 year old player with a 21 year old for the same money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd expect United to better the deal when they renew in three (I think?) years time. Although they seem to have a clause in their current deal where they lose a decent amount of the fee if they fail to qualify for the CL two years in a row. I wonder do we have anything similar.

Knowing how we deal with transfers I could imagine us getting more if we don't get CL football :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Knowing how we deal with transfers I could imagine us getting more if we don't get CL football :p

F**king Edwards :pac:

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Chelsea's shirt deal running till 2032 is a bit mad.
    I think that has something to do with the fact that they bought themselves out of the Adidas deal which was due to run to 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Yeah, we'll lose a decent amount of the fee if we don't make it to the final every season. We'll be grand.

The club is probably also working on trademarking Istanbul, Madrid and Rome in a football context to increase the brand's value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Peak Edwards will be

callum-campbell-image-1-89361945.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Oh jaysus, Nike eh? Sh1tty repetitive template, uninspired kits, but sher look. Whatever.

Rick Parry did an interview some years ago where he spoke about things like sponsorship and kit deals. His main point was that despite the fact that Liverpool FC was in the top 4 in terms of global shirt sales, the big name manufacturers saw us as a gamble because the club wasn't in the Champions League. In the mid 1990s Reebok became the kit manufacturer by default because the likes of Adidas and Umbro weren't interested. The Reebok deal was incentivised with a potential worth that was less than the base amount of Man Utd's shirt deal. There was a massive gulf between the level of the two clubs at the time.

Winning the Champions League in 2005 changed everything for Liverpool, all of a sudden the manufacturers were offering a significantly larger base amount. It was no coincidence that Adidas returned as the kit manufacturer in 2006 and once again they didn't wish to renew the deal in 2012 when the club was no longer in the Champions League. No disrespect to Man Utd but they need to get their act together before the next deal is negotiated otherwise they are facing the same prospect.

The manufacturers want their product to be seen by the biggest audience and are willing to pay a premium for the exposure of the Champions League. Adidas pay Juventus a base amount of £47M a season. It is bumped up based upon Champions League performances. Getting to the Quarter Finals is worth an additional £16M and the bonus increases with each successive round. Winning the Champions League title is worth around £95M in total to Juventus. Real Madrid's deal with Adidas is worth £100M and winning the Champions League would bump the figure up to £136M.

The people running Liverpool FC these days appear to have balls made of adamantium in comparison to Rick Parry and David Moores so the sky is the limit in terms of what is possible. If they are pitching the club at being at Real Madrid/Barcelona's level then £100~136M is the market. With that kind of money on offer I would expect there to be penalties if we don't qualify for the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Iniesta’s goodbye to Torres.

It’s been a wonderful journey

How strange. Don't say no to me, Fernando. It's very strange, I'd say beautifully strange. Here we both are, about to play your last game as a professional. I still have some left. Here we are, on the other side of the world. It's as if life, whimsical as she is, had brought us all the way to Japan to say goodbye. Football brought us together more than 20 years ago, when we were children. Well, you will always be El Niño. And it will never separate us. We met when we had utopian dreams. That goal you scored us at the U16 European Championship with the national team in England. I'll never forget the gesture you made to dedicate that goal to me. I saw it on TV because I had to go home with an injury.

Remember, Fernando, that jersey signed in Trinidad and Tobago with a promise that seemed unachievable. But we did it. And since then, always together. Vienna, Johannesburg... That unforgettable pass from Xavi for you that you credit to the master, Luis (Aragones). That centre of yours for all of us to score the most important goal of our lives. Separated, but always together. And until the last moment, above shirts or clubs. We lived in different cities. You in Madrid and me in Barcelona. But we were never enemies. Just friends who wore a different shirt, fused, yes, always in a red skin. Or Rojita, whatever we want to call it.

Because our history, although many don't know it, comes from far away. From far away. It didn't matter that one day you crossed borders on your way to the Premier League, where they discovered the talent of a unique Niño, first at Liverpool and then at Chelsea. When you returned to your home, to Atlético, I was moved like everyone else because football, beyond successes or failures in sport, is a way of understanding life. And you, Fernando, have dignified this sport. Our sport. I'm not talking about the goals you've scored, because years ago I lost count, or the titles you've won in your wonderful career. I'm talking about your behaviour, your respect for the game, the team-mate, the opponent and, of course, the ball.

The one that we began to spend in anonymous fields, away from spotlights, cameras, until we came to share thousands of previous experiences before winning a World Cup for our country. When we meet in Spain, I'll show you that shirt, that treasure that nobody else discovered. Although, it is true, there is no greater treasure than your friendship, Fernando.

It's been a wonderful journey. It has taken us to every corner of the world. And look where we are today. In Tosu, you and I playing a football match. One more. But it's not just another one, it's your last game, who knew? You face David Villa and I. Then you'll go home. Yours are waiting for you, although you have to know that the ball will be sadder today than yesterday. Enjoy everything that comes to you now and be happy. But how strange, Fernando. You haven't left yet and I miss you already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Grayditch wrote: »
    Oh jaysus, Nike eh? Sh1tty repetitive template, uninspired kits, but sher look. Whatever.

Does it really matter what they were?

More money means better transfers and better facilities that will ultimately better the team's performance on the pitch.

That's what matters. Jerseys are quickly forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn’t say jerseys are quickly forgotten at all quiet the opposite actually.

Most fans speak fondly or negatively of pervious jerseys.

Jerseys are a constant connection with the club as it the one thing all fans can have and own to make the personal connection with the club stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Neville desperate to start spreading negative vibes without realising that it's something that LFC could well be already planning for. Who knows? Wouldn't be the end of the world if it happens.

If Salah goes in the summer it'll probably be for $250m, or something ridiculous such is his profile now, and they could conceivably replace him with Mbappe. Replacing a 28 year old player with a 21 year old for the same money.

One thing we learnt from Coutinho's departure is that our management team will do what's best for the club in the long term. I'm not sure offing Salah would benefit us commercially, such is his profile and ability to win new fans and sell product.
    Obviously it wouldn't benefit us on the pitch as he is always a threat, but he's not even the best attacking player at the club so it wouldn't kill us either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Why are we talking about selling Salah? Have I stepped into a world of things Gimli doesn't want to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would only sell Salah if it was to fund Mbappe.

Anyone else and it would make us weaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

https://sports.rakuten.com/videos/256vi

Torres last game kicking off now if anyone interested?

I wouldn’t say jerseys are quickly forgotten at all quiet the opposite actually.

Jerseys are a constant connection with the club as it the one thing all fans can have and own to make the personal connection with the club stronger.

Agree with your point but aren't most home jerseys thought of with fond memories?

Only home ones I can think of that would be criticized is the 92-93 jersey with the 3 stripes on shoulder and 95-96 with wide collar (which I loved) and both were by Adidas.

It's the change jerseys, particularly from last few seasons that cause criticism imho.

Also, Liverpool's all red template is very simple and don't see how Nike can mess it up and I'm sure club will have a say as well.

Either way, it's for huge money that will benefit the squad and hopefully help bring the success on the pitch that we all crave which is the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

What the jersey looks like is quickly forgotten if the team is successful. It’s no surprise most people’s favourite jerseys are the ones when we were successful/the team performed well.

Example:
    Last seasons
    13/14
    08/09

Jerseys are probably 3 of the most popular shirts in the last 20 years. And it’s no coincidence they’ve been 3 of our best seasons in that time.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Why are we talking about selling Salah? Have I stepped into a world of things Gimli doesn't want to happen?

History tells the front three are unlikely to stay with us forever, eventually one by one they'll probably want to move on unless we're winning leagues and champions leagues every year. I'd be surprised if we aren't actively planning for a world where at least one of them moves on. All are 27, all are reaching their prime, I'd be surprised if at least one of them doesn't look to move to Barca or Real within a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

who honestly cares what the jersey looks like? It will have no effect on shirt sales, if your a Liverpool fan you'll buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I don't buy fast fashion on a point of
    principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

A nice jersey = more sales. People will buy the home Jersey regardless but a beautiful away jersey will make a lot more profit. Our current away kit is nice and I see it around Dublin all the time. Even the black, short sleeve keeper Jersey is sought after.

I would love if they keep redesigning the old classics just like this years home kit.

I've bought more jerseys online from Chinese sites over the last few years than official ones. Less that 20e a pop.

Official club gear like jackets, tops etc - straight from the club as they are generally nice. I'm not so sure Nike do anything nice in that sense.
    Also, if Adidas came in, then all the retro gear would be made again, and some of that is unreal.

I've bought more jerseys online from Chinese sites over the last few years than official ones. Less that 20e a pop.

Official club gear like jackets, tops etc - straight from the club as they are generally nice. I'm not so sure Nike do anything nice in that sense.
    Also, if Adidas came in, then all the retro gear would be made again, and some of that is unreal.

Why do that? Supporting the fake trade?

Rather buy genuine product and actually support the club in a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Does it really matter that he does that ?

Nike will have paid the money agreed to in the deal so it won’t affect the club.

Someone buying a fake jersey will be quickly forgotten.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why do that? Supporting the fake trade?

Rather buy genuine product and actually support the club in a way.

I also do buy from the club directly. Also attend a good few games a year too, which I'm sure helps contribute to the transfer funds :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I don't get it, are people saying that if we were to sign a deal with Nike, that they can put us in whatever shirt they like? Seems wrong Shirley ?
    So if they want us in pink tops and hotpants that glitter in the sun we must play in them. I find that hard to believe that the club has no input into the design of the jersey.

Some of Man City's recent jerseys have been little short of crimes against humanity.
    I'm quite happy with all red

Sounds promising on Alisson. Walking without crutches now which is better than a week or two ago. Klopp didn't give a return date yet though, and won't rush him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If it were to happen it's most likely that is will be in top 3 kit deals in world football. A deal that takes us another step towards a 3 Billion valuation . It's some turn around for a club that was on the brink of administration before Fenway stepped in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

If it were to happen it's most likely that is will be in top 3 kit deals in world football. A deal that takes us another step towards a 3 Billion valuation . It's some turn around for a club that was on the brink of administration before Fenway stepped in.

along way from hicks and gillette for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://streamable.com/p1k3b

A new When Im Liverpool : Super Cup Edition

Courtesy of WhenImElmo on Reddit (great site)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For the weekend thats in it, Fowlers 4 minute hat trick v Arsenal

Ian Rush was on the pitch too in the twilight of a glittering career with 346 goals scored in red. I always wondered what Rushie was thinking watching a teenage Fowler score a hat trick against that Arsenal defence in 4 minutes. He must have been like holy fcuk, we're witnessing the second coming of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek4INQEnH2M

Klopp's presser - begins just after 11mins. No expected return dates yet for Ali or Keita - happy with Ali's progress, Keita could take longer but not a long term injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mane beat hat-trick Fowler's time at Southampton, I think. Still remember where I was for the Fowler one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement