Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Would like Real at some point in the CL. Hopefully in the knockout rounds. The teams' fortunes since they last met have been on opposite trajectories. Every team in the competition will be hoping to avoid Liverpool, with the possible exception of Barcelona who may want to exorcise some demons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The group stages are tricky, we struggled last season, 3 defeats and conceded 7 goals in 6 games. It was a very tough group though.
    We have to win at home, that is key. We lost every away game in group last season, even to a team I've never heard of.
    Maybe a easy group would be nice, save the glamour ties for the KO stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

With all the talk of klopp taking a break from football in 2022 would it be a good idea for fsg to give him a Hugh contract but allow him a sabbatical every 4/5 years to re energise, if I was them I'd do everything in my power to keep him, lijnders could take the wheel in 2022 for a season if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

If Jordan Henderson added captaining Liverpool to a league title ontop of captaining them to a champions league victory would that make him a bigger club legend than Steven Gerrard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

shamrock55 wrote: »
    With all the talk of klopp taking a break from football in 2022 would it be a good idea for fsg to give him a Hugh contract but allow him a sabbatical every 4/5 years to re energise, if I was them I'd do everything in my power to keep him, lijnders could take the wheel in 2022 for a season if needed

If Klopp says his time is up then he will be away at the end of his contract never to return. He was offered a deal by Dortmund, he could name him price and role and he basically pissed off to an island in the North Sea called Sylt and recharged his batteries. He then took the Liverpool job.....

If he leave LFC his next position will be the German national team...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

If Jordan Henderson added captaining Liverpool to a league title ontop of captaining them to a champions league victory would that make him a bigger club legend than Steven Gerrard?

Yes in my eyes but I was never a huge fan of Gerrard, fantastic footballer, brilliant captain, club legend etc etc but I don't hold him in such regard as some lesser quality players. I really don't know why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would say yes he would be in my eyes as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He also ended his sabatical early to join us. Managers like him and Gaurdiola are so intense and give so much they burn out. 2022 would make it 7 years he'll be here, that is a very long in today's game. I never expected more than that.

Got to admire him, he could sign a bigger contract and still leave when he has planned but like Dortmund he wants to see it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

.red. wrote: »
    Yes in my eyes but I was never a huge fan of Gerrard, fantastic footballer, brilliant captain, club legend etc etc but I don't hold him in such regard as some lesser quality players. I really don't know why!

That won’t go down well with one or two but I agree. Same with Carragher.

For everything he brought I think the Gerrard situation is very similar to Coutinho. He made the team very one dimensional with everything going through him and if the club cashed in on him when he wanted to go it could’ve be a situation where the team as a whole improved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Klopp is our head coach and I think he enjoys being head coach only. Our football club is set up to employ experts in their position, be it a centre forward or head scout.

The same way j expect the club to ready to sign a goalscoring right winger to replace Salah if/when he wants to leave all of a sudden, I expect them to have a replacement for Klopp if/when he decides to leave.

Klopp is not the only cog in the club wheel, a very important one he is, but is not the only one. I think we'll employ a like minded coach who is open to working as part of the system with other coaches, scouts, analysts, Michael Edwards etc to continue what they are currently doing.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Klopp stays for a long time
    as he has revitalized the club after Rodgers' refusing to be part of that overall system, but the days of a manager ruling the roost at a club, and being in charge of training, tactics, signings etc for 10 years at the same club are long gone. Liverpool are one of the clubs that are actually set up for this new age thinking, and are taking advantage of it more than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A Premier League title would make Henderson the Deschamps of Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

It's only a recent phenomenon that all LFC fans even respect "Mr. Sideways", let alone judge him a legend! Fickle fans can claim whomsoever they want to be a legend, it's the fans that live by YNWA that will remain true legends.

garra wrote: »
    It's only a recent phenomenon that all LFC fans even respect "Mr. Sideways", let alone judge him a legend! Fickle fans can claim whomsoever they want to be a legend, it's the fans that live by YNWA that will remain true legends.

YNWA El Hadji Diouf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

no in my opinion, Henderson captained a fantastic and functioning side to a CL triumph. Steven often dragged a mediocre team through ten years and somehow managed to win one. He had some good players at some times but it's no fluke Torres played the best football of his career ahead of Gerrard. You just can't doubt his importance to the club but hey maybe you can.

Henderson is a captain by the fact he has been there the longest. He's not inspiring on the pitch, but has passion for the club.
    He's no Gerrard, a young Gerrard in this side would have won the league last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gerrard is the clubs greatest captain it's not even up for debate. The goals, the one man team performances, an absolute ****house to rival supporters.
    A player that deserved to play with the best but never left us.
    A travesty he never won a league title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

They are/were both great servants for the club. No need to get into the shìte about ranking them or saying one is/was better than the other. Both had flaws but importantly gave 100% for the club and that's what counts to me, just like Dirk, Agger, Fowler etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Steven Gerrard has single handedly rescued Liverpool from loosing matches over the years when he captained the Reds.

Henderson is a good player and puts in 100% in every game but Gerrard was world class back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

So Utd are paying more (£7m) this year for Sanchez to NOT play for them than we are paying golden boot winner Sadio Mane (£5m) to play for us.

Think about that and just imagine how fcuked up their organisation is at the moment under the Glazers and Woodward driving the bus from the back seat while Ole's floundering at the wheel :D

Long may it last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

54&56 wrote: »
    So Utd are paying more (£7m) this year for Sanchez to NOT play for them than we are paying golden boot winner Sadio Mane (£5m) to play for us.

Think about that and just imagine how fcuked up their organisation is at the moment under the Glazers and Woodward driving the bus from the back seat while Ole's floundering at the wheel :D

Long may it last.

I wish he stayed with them.

• Advertisement

Sanchez scored a whole 1 goal last season. He's prolific at not scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I can sort of understand that to be honest. Taking the greater context into account, ours was the better game - but actually just taking those 90 minutes in isolation I can totally see the argument for the Spurs game.

As just a standalone 90 minutes, ours was a fairly one sided thrashing, it was a game in which almost everything good came from only one team. What made it amazing was the knowledge of the previous game, and what needed to be done.

But within the 90 minutes of the Spurs Ajax game, both sides did good and bad things. There was a give and take, and a huge shift of momentum over those 90 minutes. One team going 2 up, before the other team fights back with 3 of their own, ending with a winner in the dying seconds.

Can't complain really.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I can sort of understand that to be honest. Taking the greater context into account, ours was the better game - but actually just taking those 90 minutes in isolation I can totally see the argument for the Spurs game.

As just a standalone 90 minutes, ours was a fairly one sided thrashing, it was a game in which almost everything good came from only one team. What made it amazing was the knowledge of the previous game, and what needed to be done.

But within the 90 minutes of the Spurs Ajax game, both sides did good and bad things. There was a give and take, and a huge shift of momentum over those 90 minutes. One team going 2 up, before the other team fights back with 3 of their own, ending with a winner in the dying seconds.

Can't complain really.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Gobsmacked by some here with the regard they hold for stevie, he's the ultimate legend for me, says alot about the fan who thinks otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Not a hope klopp takes German team job unless it's his retirement job, he said he's all or nothing in management, sporadic games and meetups with players would drive him nuts I'd imagine.

Best captain? Crazy Horse surely right up there. Lifted 2 European cups and 4 leagues as captain.

Probably the most exciting era as a Liverpool fan too. The beginning of domination. Shanklys team moving over to Paisley and conquering Europe.

Some times for anyone lucky enough to witness it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Interesting article from Football365 on the new goalkick law and how Liverpool are seeking to take advantage.

https://www.football365.com/news/klopp-liverpool-goal-kicks-and-marginal-gains

garra wrote: »

Like any group consisting of millions, a significant proportion of them are likely to be utter mongs.

Gerrard dragged a mediocre team to CL victory after being 3 goals behind at HT, that's the one that everyone remembers but he carried the team through several games a season every season for a decade +.

He excelled as a midfielder, forward and in 2013/2014 as a very deep lying midfielder.

On the field he was exceptional ......... some off field struggles of course.

Most scousers don't give a fiddlers that he's managing Rangers so I don't see why plastic ones reckon it's such an issue tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Just wondering from a FF viewpoint do ye Pool fans think that Matip will keep his place longterm?

Seems to be playing well at moment.
    Thanks for any thoughts on this.

I'd imagine Gomez would be preferential, longterm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Just wondering from a FF viewpoint do ye Pool fans think that Matip will keep his place longterm?

I think Matip is the default starter barring an injury. His form has been on a par with Van Dijk for quite a while now.

But with Champions League and other midweek games coming up, I won't be the least bit surprised to see Trent Alexander-Arnold and Matip rotated with Gomez quite often. I haven't picked either for my FPL team on that basis - I reckon only Van Dijk and Robertson are certs to start every week - but I may change before the weekend as I'm mid-wildcard.

So, apologies if that wasn't helpful!! :p

One factor to consider is that Matip doesn't play international football so he should be fresh after a fortnight off after the coming break. You'd expect TAA to be in the England squad and Gomez might actually start one or both games so there could be a case of tiredness on their parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Augeo wrote: »
    I think Matip is the default starter barring an injury. His form has been on a par with Van Dijk for quite a while now.

And that's how certain we are of anything. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Can't complain really.

Are you this rational all the time in real life as well? :D

It's actually remarkable how level-headed you are. Especially when it comes to the mad house that this place is and the tribalistic nature of sports fandom in general.

Knex. wrote: »

It's actually remarkable how level-headed you are. Especially when it comes to the mad house that this place is and the tribalistic nature of sports fandom in general.

31.jpg?v=1492026671

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Don't break up a winning centre back partnership. Gomez will have to bide his time in that regard.

On the field he was exceptional ......... some off field struggles of course.

Just in relation to this is this the fight he got into when drunk? I keep seeing reference to his issues as a person but my view of him was he was always relatively level headed and down to earth (for a footballer). I mean we've all done things we regret when drunk, well I have, I have a lot but I don't think I'm a bad person.

Ben Stokes was a drunken thug last year and now I see he's being championed as a guardian of the LGBT community because he was actually trying to protect people it now seems. I feel this will be more widely accepted following his heroics last week. (He did something in cricket, it's not really important)

So anyway, while being drunk is not an excuse for your actions what Gerrard did was on the low level of abhorrent behaviour, in my humble and somewhat biased opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

He needs to do a lot better. Matip has stepped up considerably, and in particular his understanding with Trent and Virgil are a big part of that. Gomez need to show something that Matip doesn't do, which will be hard to find! I suspect they will be chopping and changing throughout the season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

31.jpg?v=1492026671

Can you please remove this picture of me and my wife? Cheers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Just in relation to this is this the fight he got into when drunk? I keep seeing reference to his issues as a person but my view of him was he was always relatively level headed and down to earth (for a footballer). I mean we've all done things we regret when drunk, well I have, I have a lot but I don't think I'm a bad person.

Ben Stokes was a drunken thug last year and now I see he's being championed as a guardian of the LGBT community because he was actually trying to protect people it now seems. I feel this will be more widely accepted following his heroics last week. (He did something in cricket, it's not really important)

So anyway, while being drunk is not an excuse for your actions what Gerrard did was on the low level of abhorrent behaviour, in my humble and somewhat biased opinion.
    The biggest disappointment wasn't the fight, it was the fact it started because he wanted them to play Phil ****ing Collins.:(

• Advertisement

I was going to respond that liking Phil Collins is probably not the greatest crime against humanity but maybe it is. Loutish behaviour is not very appealing but you have to rank it to a scale. Starting at the Joey Barton and working your way down.

Just in relation to this is this the fight he got into when drunk? I keep seeing reference to his issues as a person but my view of him was he was always relatively level headed and down to earth (for a footballer). I mean we've all done things we regret when drunk, well I have, I have a lot but I don't think I'm a bad person..............

There was all the alleged gangland stuff with his wife.

Gerrard was also a character witness (by letter iirc as opposed to actually being in court) for a relatively major crime figure on Merseyside in an armed robbery case. They guy escaped after being found guilty !!!!

they guy had helped Gerrard previously when another gangster was attempting to extort money from Gerrard.

I'd have no idea was Gerrard totally innocent but as many urban dwellers can admit, when you're rubbing shoulders with folk who are involved in crime it can be very difficult to disassociate completely especially if you've grown up with them etc etc and if you are getting hassled from undesirables that might pay heed to some of the folk you know.

Anyway...... I'm not referring to the fight at all, that was nothing IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »

I'm waiting for his viewpoint on the Henderson and gerrard debate, as that will be my stance then. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

At the moment?
    He has been outstanding for a very long time now, he is composure personified.
    Initially he seemed weak and ponderous but thats all changed now into aggression and a real physical presence.
    Incredibly comfortable on the ball, could easily play the no.6 role.
    Rarely if ever lunges into the tackle, more often than not its a perfectly times toe poke to steal the ball from opposing players.

How many times did he do this to Messi and Suarez in CL semi final?

Right now he is a world class center half, thankfully we have three of them at the club.

I've said before I think Matip's always been good, his main problem has been injuries and finding his feet when he comes back but anytime he's had a run in the team he has looked very good.
    It's tough on Gomez who looked solid at CB too but as someone said you can't split a winning partnership, or shouldn't anyway. We've all the best defenders now.

Hard to see Matip being dropped based on performances. His striding into and meandering through midfield are lethal. Can't think of a better CB in the world at stepping into midfield.

Gomez is a hell of an alternative.

As mentioned, lovely jubbly situation to be in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Makes all the calls for de ligt look a bit funny now :)

Dcully wrote: »
    Makes all the calls for de ligt look a bit funny now :)

Say that again in 3 months when they are all injured ;)

Say that again in 3 months when they are all injured ;)

we'll have the greatest back up CB in the world ready to step in. apparently Lovern knows more languages than anyone at the club. it's not really relevant I just thought I'd post something positive about him.

Edit: actually I spoke too soon Roma are back in for him according to the DM and a belligerent Dean Saunders has been sent to jail for 10 weeks for drink driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Dean Saunders has been sent to jail for 10 weeks for drink driving.

He was not sent down for drink driving, it was for failing to provide a breath sample, different offence.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement