Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

3 more games or 3 mores seasons it doesn't matter the speculation began when Klopp said he would be taking time away from football before his next who will replace him as Liverpool manager then becomes the speculation.

fair enough, personally I hope to be alive in three years time, struggle to plan that far ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I would expect Michael Edwards is already scouting young managers as well as players that would have the ability to follow on from Klopp when his time does come to an end.

It's very hard to find a good manager now. A lot of top clubs in Europe don't have one now & it's not because they can't afford them, there just aren't many ones around now. The majority of managers in the league I wouldn't even allow them to be given an interview for the Liverpool job never mind be get the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm going take a (fairly obvious) punt and say it'll be Julian Nagelsmann if Pep Lijnders isn't considered for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'm going take a (fairly obvious) punt and say it'll be Julian Nagelsmann if Pep Lijnders isn't considered for the role.

Frighteningly, he'd only be 35 if we approached him in 2022. Bloody hell! :eek:

Excellent - should get 20 years out of him! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That the Leipzig fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That the Leipzig fella?
    Yeah, and was the youngest ever Bundesliga trainer with Hoffenheim, still in his twenties.

On an unrelated note, wee bit surprised that Ox got an England call up, and Gomez too....

James Pearce has written a long piece for the Athletic on the Duncan situation. No new info as far as I could see but he revisits old interviews he did with him and his family - mentions that they've always wanted him fasttracked to the top, and that they wanted "a change of direction" when they changed his agent earlier this year.

This section on pre-season seems to be the source of the fallout - they thought he did well enough to be in the first team after pre-season, Klopp disagreed. There were approaches from abroad on the back of it, club said no and then yesterday happened.
    The feedback was positive. Klopp was impressed by his attitude, application and finishing prowess. He struggled at times with the intensity, but that was to be expected.

Unsurprisingly, the manager felt that Duncan’s development would be best served by dropping back down to the under-23s when the season got underway.

For a young frontman who only turned 18 in June, he was in a decent position under a world-class manager famed for giving youngsters opportunities when the time is right. He could hardly complain about being behind Firmino, Salah, Mane, Divock Origi and Rhian Brewster in the pecking order of the European champions.

The only Liverpool Academy attacker who had a footballing reason to feel crushed this summer was his under-18s strike partner Paul Glatzel. On the same night Duncan scored against Tranmere, Glatzel suffered an ACL injury requiring surgery which will rule him out for the entire season.

It'll be interesting to see what happens from here. Pearce seems convinced Duncan has a big future ahead of him; I'm too used to record breaking seasons in the under age teams for players who never make the grade to be bothered keeping an eye on them - Craig Lindfield anyone?

Duncan is just another victim of rapacious parents and creepy agents. There is nothing about him that suggests a future at Liverpool in a world where people are say that of Harry Wilson (for example) who is clearly far more talented (and was as an 18 year old albeit in a different attacking role)

• Advertisement

James Pearce has written a long piece for the Athletic on the Duncan situation. No new info as far as I could see but he revisits old interviews he did with him and his family - mentions that they've always wanted him fasttracked to the top, and that they wanted "a change of direction" when they changed his agent earlier this year.

This section on pre-season seems to be the source of the fallout - they thought he did well enough to be in the first team after pre-season, Klopp disagreed. There were approaches from abroad on the back of it, club said no and then yesterday happened.

It'll be interesting to see what happens from here. Pearce seems convinced Duncan has a big future ahead of him; I'm too used to record breaking seasons in the under age teams for players who never make the grade to be bothered keeping an eye on them - Craig Lindfield anyone?

I think he'll do very well somewhere, where all that is asked of him is to put the ball in the back of the net.

From what I've seen of him, is that he is an excellent finisher but doesn't work hard enough for the team away from the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

This almost never happens with strikers at the top level. Wide players, midfielders who make a pass, you see those coming through. But less so GKs, CBs and strikers. They need their bodies to catrch up with their skills, and the guile to handle all the different types of opponents.

If Duncan OR Brewster had played in any of our games so far, they would see why they are not ready. Even Ox, Shaq, Origi can struggle to make an impact at that level.

Cantona eh?! Nice to see him visit earth again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Eric still mental then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The whole place in suits and Cantona on stage reciting poems in a wrinkled shirt and jeans. He a character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ali getting his award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

And still limping, he's no where near ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't they know he speaks perfect English

My guess is

Liverpool
    Real
    Salzburg
    Galatasaray

VVD in for his award.

Would have liked to get Ajax seeing as it's so long since we played them.

• Advertisement

It's not Real

NAPOLI,
    ouch

Napoli and Liverpool :(

Napoli first up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Of course City get Shaktar again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Can’t say we don’t know them anyway

Boo Napoli. Did that last year :(

Napoli! - not bad, could be worse

To lose there will mean nothing. Tough place to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hopefully we play a bit better over there this season.

• Advertisement

I'm just disappointed it's a team we've played so often recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Prob get red star again too

I feel like a lot of those pairings are very familiar - us v Napoli, Real v PSG, Bayern v Spurs and City v Shakhtar, Juventus v Atletico... Did all of those games happen in the last two seasons or am I imagining it?

Salzburg, not too bad

Salzburg is one of the teams I was hoping for.

Red Bull Austria.

Mane and Keita will like that.

Salzburg - nice one!

Mane's old flame

Happy with that. A new team for us :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That is a very doable group

If we can avoid Turkey and Russia in Pot 4 we'll be at least close to home.

Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS)
    Genk (BEL)
    Galatasaray (TUR)
    RB Leipzig (GER)
    Slavia Praha (CZE)
    Crvena zvezda (SRB)
    Atalanta (ITA)
    LOSC Lille (FRA)

Belgium would be a nice place to visit.

Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS)
    Genk (BEL)
    Galatasaray (TUR)
    RB Leipzig (GER)
    Slavia Praha (CZE)
    Crvena zvezda (SRB)
    Atalanta (ITA)
    LOSC Lille (FRA)

Genk, Leipzig or Lille please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We're gonna get Galatasaray aren't we

• Advertisement

Genk, not to bad .

Genk!

So got two I wanted and one nobody really fancied but Liverpool and Napoli really should fabreeze that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Genk.

No travels into -20 Russia, coool !

Genk that's ok

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement