Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mane back tomorrow as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Much better pre season performance than last Sunday anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We'll be a victim of a lot of soft penalties, as will everyone else. VAR will make this season like no other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Turtyturd wrote: »

The most insufferable ones aren’t even on that bus. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The biggest plus from today is that we saw an effective tactic against the high line we persist with on free kicks. Other teams will have watched what City did today, particularly the bottom half teams who tend to have their better chances against us from set pieces, and now we can work out how to defend that situation.

It was bound to happen eventually but now there's no excuse and we didn't drop any points because it was the charity shield.

Today showed that we're not a million miles away from City, our fitness and sharpness isn't too bad, and we have plenty to work on with 5 days to go until opening day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

19 shots on goal or whatever it was and you should really be winning that game.

I can't imagine how potent current Liverpool side would be with a peak Torres or Suarez up top and Firmino playing more of an attacking midfield role.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    19 shots on goal or whatever it was and you should really be winning that game.

I can't imagine how potent current Liverpool side would be with a peak Torres or Suarez up top and Firmino playing more of an attacking midfield role.

In fairness Bravo was probably man of the match and Walker pulled off one of the finest clearances you'll ever see. I wouldn't put it all down to poor finishing. I'm actually more encouraged at where we are now that I was a week or so ago. Didn't expect Firmino or Salah to be ready for the start of the season but they looked sharper than they should be after a week of preseason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

8-10 wrote: »
    In fairness Bravo was probably man of the match and Walker pulled off one of the finest clearances you'll ever see. I wouldn't put it all down to poor finishing. I'm actually more encouraged at where we are now that I was a week or so ago. Didn't expect Firmino or Salah to be ready for the start of the season but they looked sharper than they should be after a week of preseason

All Bravo's saves I saw were completely routine. We kept kicking the ball straight at him.

• Advertisement

Tbf he generally concedes those ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

8-10 wrote: »

I reckon he hammers it into his own net 98 times out of a hundred.

I reckon he hammers it into his own net 98 times out of a hundred.

Even more impressive then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Poor Mo wouldn't hit a barndoor with a banjo today, some say he looked sharp but he was rusty as fck regards finishing, serious greed at times too. Still, can see him get a hattrick against Norwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

How the fcuk is KDB man of the match.

As far as I could understand, Hoddle's only reason for giving it to him was because he was fit. Hoddle is a mental case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Owl. wrote: »
    As far as I could understand, Hoddle's only reason for giving it to him was because he was fit. Hoddle is a mental case.

He also said 'because I played his position' or something else as stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Homeward bound on Aer Lingus now from LGW. Great game with plenty of talking points. Some heat in London all day.

Penalties were an added bonus for the young lad. Disappointed not to lift the trophy but a great day trip supporting the reds!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Why on earth are ourselves and City playing the two earliest games of the season? Us on Friday night, them Saturday at noon. You'd think the league would cop on and put us on Sunday considering they've just given us this match to play.

Two whole fixtures to fulfill over the course of six days. What an ordeal - it's entirely unreasonable to expect this level of application from these massively renumerated professional sportsmen. Sure they'll be entirely wrecked - the little dotes.

It’s remunerated...your post are stupid enough without adding stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Poor Mo wouldn't hit a barndoor with a banjo today, some say he looked sharp but he was rusty as fck regards finishing, serious greed at times too. Still, can see him get a hattrick against Norwich.

The year before last, when he scored an incredible amount, he generally took 3-4 shots before he scored in the earlier part of the season.
    I'm hopeful he will score more theirs year than last. He looked very sharp and up for the game today. Bodes well.
    You seem a little unhappy with some of the team today by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Seen City have just purchased their third £50m+ fullback in the past 2 years, madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Seen City have just purchased their third £50m+ fullback in the past 2 years, madness.

Who is that?

Who is that?

Cancelo from Juventus, and well it's technically around €30m along with Danilo, another fullback they bought only two years ago for £26.5m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Not sure if mentioned here already but then Pool v Norwhich game will be screened on Sky One this Friday. They done the same last year for the opening game.
    Looking forward to it, Friday night lights in Anfield after a good test today.

Hopefully we hit the ground running early, we will need too, to have any chance this year again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    The year before last, when he scored an incredible amount, he generally took 3-4 shots before he scored in the earlier part of the season.
    I'm hopeful he will score more theirs year than last. He looked very sharp and up for the game today. Bodes well.
    You seem a little unhappy with some of the team today by the way.

How so?

• Advertisement

Not sure if mentioned here already but then Pool v Norwhich game will be screened on Sky One this Friday. They done the same last year for the opening game.
    Looking forward to it, Friday night lights in Anfield after a good test today.

Hopefully we hit the ground running early, we will need too, to have any chance this year again

What’s our record in evening kickoffs on Sky One like? I don’t care if it’s 0-0-0, these things matter!

It was deft touches all around today

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Mignolet's off, we're signing a backup GK.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1158112888894177283?s=20
    Simon Mignolet set to join Club Brugge. Due to undergo medical tomorrow. Liverpool will look to sign a new No2.

Mignolet's off, we're signing a backup GK.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1158112888894177283?s=20

Adrian is still without a club. He’s a step down from Mignolet but I don’t think he’d be the worst option on a free transfer.

Most clubs would gouge us even for a third string keeper at this stage in the window. This should’ve been sorted weeks ago, but it’s not a major issue if there’s any money there to be spent at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It's just great that after all these years we don't have to put up with the likes of mignolet or karius in goal.

• Advertisement

How much are we getting for him?

Edit I just saw £6m for him.

Butland would be a decent shout I'd say he would jump at a chance to get out of Stoke ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Good for him and by all accounts he played a big role behind the scenes last year

However he was bloody awful for us I think he was the worst 1st choice keeper I remember for us so I am glad to never have to go through that pain any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

What a step down for Mignolet.

Shows you bad a keeper he has been. Very good character though.

He was decent in the 13/14 season for the most part but quickly declined.

Not good enough to be number one but comfortably the best number two in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

always remember the game away against arsenal a few years ago 2 up and cruising and he let a nothing shot past him and it all fell apart

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He was decent in the 13/14 season for the most part but quickly declined

Made a total mess of a Negredo shot that season at the Ethihad, I think my dog would have had the strength to stop it. Pretty much that game I wanted him replaced since.
    Pretty bad fee for him. Literally 10 times less than Allisson in every possible sense.

Ye we can get £12.5m for Ward but only £6m for Mignolet seems like we are letting him go on the cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Ye we can get £12.5m for Ward but only £6m for Mignolet seems like we are letting him go on the cheap.

I assume its a thank you from the club....let him go home on the cheap. Just read that it is €6-7 million up front rising to €9.

Back to Southampton it seems for McCarthy.

FSG should have just bought them as a feeder club it would have been cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wouldn't touch Butland, an overhyped mistake machine.

• Advertisement

Well Mig, you really did save the best for ehhhh first? He literally peaked in his debut for us and it was all downhill from there:

giphy.gif

Like a lot of these really aren't normal mistakes, they're genuinely bizarre

giphy.gif

negredo-goal.gif

He seemed desperate to concede against Bordeaux in the Europa League, first with this mad header and then eventually conceding from an indirect free kick because he held onto the ball for 22 seconds (that's not the whole clip by the way, the gif can only be 15 seconds long so there's an extra 7 seconds of Mignolet just standing around with the ball to be seen :p )

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Completely losing his whereabouts and letting the ball roll out of play:

giphy.gif

Conceding a free kick because he's looking elsewhere organising the defence:

giphy.gif

This isn't all of them, it's not even close to all really, he's honestly fascinating to look at in retrospect.

There were links to Fraser Foster the other day. Didn’t realise he was (a) as old as he is and (b) had fallen down the pecking order at Southampton so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It was
    Rocky One today
    We got that crap kicked out of us early on, but gradually got into it , we were far the strongest team come the end, but we still lost. We all know who was the best team out there today. Bell saved them today

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://www.clubbrugge.be/nl/nieuws/princiepsakkoord-simon-mignolet-naar-club-brugge

Confirmed on their website, fair well Migs, a pro til the end when not playing and seemingly a nice character around the dressing room....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Fieldog wrote: »
    https://www.clubbrugge.be/nl/nieuws/princiepsakkoord-simon-mignolet-naar-club-brugge

Confirmed on their website, fair well Migs, a pro til the end when not playing and seemingly a nice character around the dressing room....
    In that link he's called a red devil :o

cjmc wrote: »
    In that link he's called a red devil :o

Belgian national team nickname too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's just great that after all these years we don't have to put up with the likes of mignolet or karius in goal.

As first choice yeah, but I was perfectly happy with Mig as backup. Not easy to get a decent quality number 2, given that anyone that's actually properly good will go somewhere to be first choice. Especially so in our case, where Alisson will only be replaced in goal if he happens to get injured - rare enough for keepers.

About the best options are someone very young (generally not a good option in keepers, as they really need tonnes of experience to be good), or someone that was once top level but is now at the end of their career. Hopefully we find someone good, and at the same time not looking for massive wages, in the latter camp.
    <edit> maybe someone like Subašić... just about fits the profile. 34, but still decent quality, and definitely winding down his career.. into the last year of his contract at Monaco, so could be gotten cheap.

Happy for Mig though, and good on the club for letting him go cheap to a club back home. I'm sure that fee allows them to give him decent wages he'd otherwise be tough to justify in that league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Belgian national team nickname too

I thought they cocked up the nicknames

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

why the hell are we letting him go 5 days before season starts. No other fit keeper on the books, why could this "thank you" have been organised in early July?

Always a whiff off the club like they are desperate to make money from sales like this at 11th hour.

We'd rather bank 5-6million and walk the tightrope our 1st choice keeper stays fit.

Worse case scenario Alisson and Robertson were to get injured, we would be ill prepared to cope.

Its a very strange "think positive" approach but its clearly the yanks watching their bottom line aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Blanco100 wrote: »
    why the hell are we letting him go 5 days before season starts. No other fit keeper on the books, why could this "thank you" have been organised in early July?

Always a whiff off the club like they are desperate to make money from sales like this at 11th hour.

We'd rather bank 5-6million and walk the tightrope our 1st choice keeper stays fit.

Worse case scenario Alisson and Robertson were to get injured, we would be ill prepared to cope.

Its a very strange "think positive" approach but its clearly the yanks watching their bottom line aswell

If they were looking to cash in they'd have sold him to an English club. He's still more than good enough for any of the teams in the bottom half, and those are the circumstances he does much better under anyway, in a team that's on the back foot facing more shots and keeping him engaged.
    Really wouldn't go blaming 'the yanks' on this, especially when its that little money.

And for all we know, this has been the plan since the end of the season, and they've been sniffing around for a replacement since then. These things don't happen in a vacuum where everyone at the club is suddenly only now switching into 'find a keeper' mode. If anything, its more likely that they've let him go this late in the window because they've just identified someone they think can replace him. We'll see I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement