Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Duncan has completed his move.

Everyone at the club wishes Bobby the best of luck with his future career.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1168584542510354433?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

What FSG have done with the club is stunning.

Liverpool can't complete financially with Man City, Man U,Chelsea, Madrid, Barca, PSG, Munich, Juve yet they have built one of the strongest top two teams in football on net spend of £68m.

All while expanding the stadium building a new training ground and bringing in record sponsorship deal and making the club self sufficient and not needing a sugar daddy.

Is it Klopp or FSG?

If they arent actually investing in the playing squad are they only a couple of big transfers going wrong from being burned badly? And if there not investing in the squad then where is all the money gone from tv rights and the champions league runs? Stadium and training ground?

Genuine question not trying to knock them.

From the outside looking in it looks to me like it’s more down to Klopp(and co) his genius than anything FSG have done. I dont know the ins and outs of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Duncan has completed his move.

Everyone at the club wishes Bobby the best of luck with his future career.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1168584542510354433?s=20

1_robertofirmino.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

POKERKING wrote: »
    Is it Klopp or FSG?

If they arent actually investing in the playing squad are they only a couple of big transfers going wrong from being burned badly? And if there not investing in the squad then where is all the money gone from tv rights and the champions league runs? Stadium and training ground?

From the outside looking in it looks to me like it’s more down to Klopp(and co) his genius than anything FSG have done. I dont know the ins and outs of it though.

It's a bit of both - but you also have to keep in mind that Klopp actually being there is also something FSG did. And they put in place the team of scouts and analytics that have identified most of our brilliant purchases. That team wasn't working well with Rodgers, so they changed the piece that seemed ill-fitting, which was Rodgers. And then you suddenly see all the pieces that team had assembled become instantly much better with a manager better suited to the structure.

As for the money - football clubs are expensive... the year of the Coutinho transfer was the first year Liverpool were in the black in a very long time. Without a sugar daddy, most of the club's income gets swallowed up in wages (which are now many multiples of what they were only 10 years ago). They had the increased money to either tie down the stars, or buy new stars, and they picked the former, so everyone important is now secured on a long term contract (first time Liverpool have come 2nd and not lost at least one indispensable player).

The biggest thing is that it's a careful, considered build. The club spends within its means, but does so wisely so the income increases. They then spend that increase wisely, so you take another increase, and build larger brand awareness, and get better sponsorships, which leads to more money, which allows you to further each of those things and start winning things, which further increases the money. It's basically how any business works in any other field. That's all FSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Is it Klopp or FSG?

I’d hope that some of the money we haven’t spent in the transfer market is funding the redevelopment of the Anfield Road end. A lot of our income has also gone into some big contracts we’ve renewed in the past year and a half, and those contracts are rumoured to be heavily incentivised, so our wage bill is going to be massive when the forwards are doing well (pretty much all the time :)).

Klopp is just one of those managers who prefers a smaller squad, and I’m sure there were players he wanted to bring in over the summer but the deals weren’t done for whatever reasons, but I believe him when he says he’s happy with the squad. If the club identifies another “game changer” as they like to call them, I’m extremely confident that the owners will pay whatever it takes to bring them in. It’s an all or nothing approach to the transfer market, but it’s worked brilliantly for us so far and I imagine the money will always be there for one of those huge signings if they’ll take us up another level.

You’re right that we could end up burned with a bad transfer given the “quality over quantity” approach, but Edwards and co. appear to be meticulous in their recruitment process and they only seem to want to spend the big bucks on what they feel is a sure thing. That’s why most supporters wouldn’t doubt the club if, for example, we went back and signed another Southampton player for big money. The hit rate is close to 100%, so transfers are kind of a big deal for us and something to really look forward to. We probably won’t even spend in January, but we can probably look forward to a big spend next summer (Mbappé 2020, whisper it quietly.....:pac:).

Edit: beaten to the punch by Rebel on a couple of points there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Laporte out for 4/5 months with an ACL injury been reported on Twitter. Feel bad for the player but it is what it is now, let's hope Liverpool can take advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Laporte out for 4/5 months with an ACL injury been reported on Twitter. Feel bad for the player but it is what it is now, let's hope Liverpool can take advantage

Back in 8 weeks so when he visits Pep’s Barca doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is it Klopp or FSG?

FSG keep Liverpool on a short leash financially - they spend on infrastructure which adds to the bottom line for decades to come (Annie Road and the new training ground are the current projects) and they hire people who are very good at what they do allowing the club to sell both star names, marginal squad figures and academy/youth players for at times eye watering sums which means that the recruitment of A level talent can be achieved
    without accruing debt. City can just buy someone/anyone, Utd likewise Liverpool's revenues are growing quickly but still lag sufficiently to mean net spend does actually matter unless willing to go into debt which is clearly not in the FSG manual.

This summers lack of incoming is based on a couple of things - first the unmined potential of Fabinho (played half a season), Keita (played half a season) Gomez (missed half season), OxCham (missed whole season) plus Brewster (missed a whole season) plus Lallana and Shaqiri means there is a lot of unburnt fuel in the tank. Second (and I can't prove this in any way!) I think they have lined up one, maybe two big deals for next summer. Michael Edwards and his team certainly think ahead and are persistent when it comes to landing the right player. It could be someone obvious (Mpabbe 2020!) but it could be a player/s they rate hugely but who hasn't been linked even somewhat jokingly at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's easier for us to offload players for high fees as our wages are lower than most other clubs in the top 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm not sure, saw something a few months back indicated our wage bill is pretty high. I mean we're not going to pay Gareth Bale's wages or the like but they pay well enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Back in 8 weeks so when he visits Pep’s Barca doctor.

So it will be Stones and Otamendi?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm not sure, saw something a few months back indicated our wage bill is pretty high. I mean we're not going to pay Gareth Bale's wages or the like but they pay well enough.

Over all it's high, we have spent big on wages for the key players but fringe players are on low money. United are struggling to offload a number of players due to salary so have to send out on loan instead of getting a transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.instagram.com/p/B160EPBA5Gy/

Nice supportive comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

rob316 wrote: »
    Over all it's high, we have spent big on wages for the key players but fringe players are on low money. United are struggling to offload a number of players due to salary so have to send out on loan instead of getting a transfer fee.

Basically, Alexis Sanchez. What’s low money for the top clubs these days, sub £100,000? Crazy altogether!

Barca should have kept Coutinho, as Neymar won't be going anywhere, they really are so clueless.

• Advertisement

I read the official LFC comment as Goodbye and good riddance. He's only a kid but I'd say his agent burned any bridges with his comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ryan Kent confirmed. 7 million Scottish pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Ryan Kent confirmed. 7 million Scottish pounds.

do they accept them in England now, last time I tried to spend them in London they were given back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Best of Luck Ryan Kent & Bobby Duncan (not his agent).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

mikeym wrote: »
    Best of Luck Ryan Kent & Bobby Duncan (not his agent).

Re :Duncan, a talented player, but has fallen out and burned bridges at 2 top clubs in little over a year. He's got to get some sensible advise, or he'll be at Tranmere or LOI in another year or 2.

• Advertisement

Nunu wrote: »
    Basically, Alexis Sanchez. What’s low money for the top clubs these days, sub £100,000? Crazy altogether!

Rory Smith was on 5 live the other day and said most the top clubs are struggling to offload players they don't want due to wages. Domestically they aren't will to drop down a level so have to shop them to top clubs in other leagues who won't pay the wages they are on so have to loan them out. Juventus didn't want to sell Keane or Dybala but had to be open to it as they couldn't move on Kheidira, manduzic, higuain.
    Liverpool couldn't shift sturridge, mkhitaryan gone on loan, Smalling gone on loan, rojo on big wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

He's got to get some sensible advise, or he'll be at Tranmere

At least he can live at home with his Mam and hang out with his old mates...

Wha?

None the wiser.

sound on?

sound on?

That's the problem, just a lot of inarticulate expletives, was that really what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Wha?

None the wiser.

There is an old clip of two Indian men cursing badly in English, people keep dubbing it over other clips, like when Pep was argueing with Aguero after subbing him off -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Michael Owen v Shearer on twitter! Getting serious!

https://twitter.com/themichaelowen/status/1168822808614526976?s=20

Shearer would have been an incredible signing

Shearer's always been one of my favourite non-Liverpool players. Possibly because he rebuffed Utd twice and would have improved them considerably but I always liked him.
    We almost signed Le Tissier and allegedly Maradona at one point in the 80s, ah the ones that got away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Shearer's always been one of my favourite non-Liverpool players. Possibly because he rebuffed Utd twice and would have improved them considerably but I always liked him.
    We almost signed Le Tissier and allegedly Maradona at one point in the 80s, ah the ones that got away.

Loic Remy too

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

That article from Owen seems a bit pointless. All he's going to do is make himself seem like a bigger tit than he already is in the public's eye. Certainly to Newcastle fans.

I get the impression he wanted to give his side of the story and thought it would do his reputation some good, but the execution of his story can only have done the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Michael Laudrup too, he'd have been an incredible signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

8-10 wrote: »
    Loic Remy too

;)

Simao! Dani Alves (would have been amazing, ended up with Glen Johnson), Gareth Barry, Alex Teixeira, Eriksen before he went to Spurs

The one I always think of is Konoplyanka - this place was in meltdown that winter transfer window and people were certain he was the only way to secure CL qualification. Nearly won the title that year.

I remember a lot of debate when Depay went to United, and Firmino joined. People were gutted to miss out on Depay.

To be fair to posters on other threads - a good few of them recognised that Bobby could be a fantastic signing.

I always remember the story of Roy Keane turning up to sign for Kenny at Blackburn but when he got there no-one was at Ewood Park (I picture him banging on the gates trying to get in) he got into a huff and went off to sign for Fergie. That was unfortunate, to put it mildly.
    I think Bobby Charlton tried to get Kenny to sign for Utd or maybe it was Busby. On balance I guess we did ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I always remember the story of Roy Keane turning up to sign for Kenny at Blackburn but when he got there no-one was at Ewood Park (I picture him banging on the gates trying to get in) he got into a huff and went off to sign for Fergie. That was unfortunate, to put it mildly.
    I think Bobby Charlton tried to get Kenny to sign for Utd or maybe it was Busby. On balance I guess we did ok.

I've never heard that version! One I heard was he promised Dalglish he would sign but they could only od it on the Monday, Ferguson got wind of it and got a deal done over the weekend before Keane was due to sign.

.G. wrote: »
    I've never heard that version! One I heard was he promised Dalglish he would sign but they could only od it on the Monday, Ferguson got wind of it and got a deal done over the weekend before Keane was due to sign.

ah yea it could have been embellished I also heard Fergie was driving past Ewood as Keane was trying to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

steve_r wrote: »
    Simao! Dani Alves (would have been amazing, ended up with Glen Johnson), Gareth Barry, Alex Teixeira, Eriksen before he went to Spurs

The one I always think of is Konoplyanka - this place was in meltdown that winter transfer window and people were certain he was the only way to secure CL qualification. Nearly won the title that year.

I remember a lot of debate when Depay went to United, and Firmino joined. People were gutted to miss out on Depay.

To be fair to posters on other threads - a good few of them recognised that Bobby could be a fantastic signing.

Only 2 players out of all of them who turned out good enough, Dani Alves and Eriksen, the rest went on to achieve little and looked worse doing so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

We've been signing Arda Turan since 2008

We've been trying to sign Bent since that Liverpool sign not hit by a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Oh and sign Reus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Lee Bowyer!!

Iirc the fans stopped that one happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I remember praying Carlton Cole & Luke Young wouldn't have be signed when Hodgson was around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

steve_r wrote: »
    Michael Owen v Shearer on twitter! Getting serious!

https://twitter.com/themichaelowen/status/1168822808614526976?s=20

Shearer would have been an incredible signing

Wouldn't this have been 2004 so Shearer would have been around 34, well past his best, interesting tho he could of been part of the Istanbul folklore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Ronaldo and cantona were also nearly ours instead of that other lot.

Ones we didnt sign that am glad we didnt was heinze and the infamous gareth barry saga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Dele Alli was another one we were talking to

Also there was the famous Jordan Henderson for Clint Dempsey swap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Gareth Barry would have been a great signing at the time.

Not at the expense of Alonso, but he was a good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Knex. wrote: »
    Gareth Barry would have been a great signing at the time.

Not at the expense of Alonso, but he was a good player.

Was only reading the other day he is still playing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

mkhitaryan was a recent one, hard to know whether we dodged a bullet or could he have worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

mkhitaryan was a recent one, hard to know whether we dodged a bullet or could he have worked out.

From what I've seen at Utd and Arsenal we definitely dodged a bullet, he doesn't have anywhere near the work rate that would be required , he's such a flaky looking player sort of a poor man's Ozil, seems to lack heart which I appreciate is hard to quantify but that's the impression I get from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

8-10 wrote: »
    Dele Alli was another one we were talking to

Also there was the famous Jordan Henderson for Clint Dempsey swap!

Crikey I had forgotten that! Clint retired last year at 35 having spent the previous 5 seasons with "Seattle Sounders".

Jordan is 29 now and has 9 seasons with Liverpool, being valued and favored by all his managers and most fans (not looking at anyone in particular AC) and has lifted the CL trophy on behalf of his team.

And we were going to swap them! I know the past is a foreign country but we were being run like a cult community on acid back then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement