Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Simao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,920 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The next time Salah passes to Mane in a better position Mane better score :)

Of the players we did sign i loved morientes and litmanen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I wonder if Mane's outburst will have an overall positive effect Salah's play.

He is certainly very greedy, which obviously all top strikers are to an extent, but he will routinely ignore a wide open player to try to dribble or shoot from a much more unfavorable position.

Contrasted with the unselfish play of Firmino, the optics are jarring and he can be a very frustrating player to watch.

In an idea world, Salah retains all his predatory instinct and huger for goals but adds a few more assists to his locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Kyriakos Papadopoulos & Alex Teixera another 2 who had the fans in a frenzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Salah scored about a billion goals since he signed if he passed all the time he'd be Bobby, we already have a Bobby. Mane's reaction was pretty alarming only in that you don't often see it but I'm sure players think that about each other all the time. I'd say they still get on.

There's plenty of examples of strikers who didn't get on Shearer & Owen, Sheringham & Cole, Balotelli & everybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Of the players we did sign i loved morientes and litmanen

Litmanen is probably my favourite player of all time. He was magic. Spent my childhood watching videos and games of his. Was the signing I was most excited about apart from Suarez and a real shame that it didn't work out. Square peg, round hole with the team and system we played at the time.

There were a few players like that where the Premier League wasn't yet right for players like him. You might laugh but I think Veron was another one, and arguably Forlan at United. Also Brian Laudrup never gave Chelsea a real go. It was a bit mad how players like that flopped where players like di Canio, Juninho, Zola etc did amazingly.

I think you take a prime Litmanen or Veron to the league after 2010 and they have a very different experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The way it was reported at the time, we seemed to be very close to signing Lee Bowyer in 2002.

Lucky escape, he never did anything of note post-2001 and he seemed like a right scumbag to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Neither Salah nor Mane are off on international duty so they've plenty of time for couples counselling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

robwen wrote: »
    Kyriakos Papadopoulos

Dot, in a quiet moment wondering what might have been

dot.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Fekir and Boyer even did medicals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

ERG89 wrote: »
    I remember praying Carlton Cole & Luke Young wouldn't have be signed when Hodgson was around
    Ronaldo and cantona were also nearly ours instead of that other lot.

Ones we didnt sign that am glad we didnt was heinze and the infamous gareth barry saga
    8-10 wrote: »
    Dele Alli was another one we were talking to

Also there was the famous Jordan Henderson for Clint Dempsey swap!
    mkhitaryan was a recent one, hard to know whether we dodged a bullet or could he have worked out.
    Simao

Rideme Sideways was another one.

Did anyone mention Michael Laudrup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The Shearer and Owen thing is gas, a pair of oxygen thieves...

I don't know who I can't stand more tbh

And Shearer writes for The S*n

Please don't get me started on "Club ambassador ex United player" Owen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Phil Laam is coming in the Jan window

Fieldog wrote: »
    The Shearer and Owen thing is gas, a pair of oxygen thieves...

I don't know who I can't stand more tbh

And Shearer writes for The S*n

Please don't get me started on "Club ambassador ex United player" Owen...

No abuse please.

Three In a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Salah scored about a billion goals since he signed if he passed all the time he'd be Bobby, we already have a Bobby.

There's a balance though... It's possible to score pretty much just as many goals, but assist even more. In the ratio of chance quality, i'm happy for Mo to go for it, even if he only has a 40% chance of scoring while the other person might have a 60% chance. So he can totally take his risks and pull off magic... but the two that happened on Saturday were more like 20% to 80%, with Salah having basically no chance of scoring in either case, while the other players were in dream positions that they'd be slotting away in their sleep.

You're never gonna get that balance perfect, but I think he could do with a very small switch towards the selfless. Can still afford to be much greedier than Bobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just saw our old pal Emre Can got left out of the Juve Champions League squad, no injury or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Just saw our old pal Emre Can got left out of the Juve Champions League squad, no injury or anything.

Whoops!

He peaked at Liverpool.

Probably scored one of the best goals I've seen. Great hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wouldn't fit the midfield now at all if he came back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Michael Owen, what a twat for joining Utd.

Can owed the club nothing the club owed him nothing.

He left the right way he did his best when on the pitch and saw out the contract the club gave him before moving on he didn't kick up a fuss or have his agent do anything except find him a new deal at a different club out of the eyes of the media.

He's on easy street. Fix hair, sit on bench, look chansome, get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Can’s and Coutinho’s experiences after leaving should make others think twice before making up their minds to jump ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

robwen wrote: »
    Kyriakos Papadopoulos & Alex Teixera another 2 who had the fans in a frenzy

Klopp had only been at the club 3-4 months at the time and it did feel like the club needed to land this signing to show they were backing him. If we'd won the Europa League final off the back of it then it'd have been an amazing signing. We'd be back in the Champions League well ahead of schedule and Klopp would've had a trophy straight away. Instead Teixeira goes off to China and we'll never know how well he'd have suited us.

Not that I'm complaining with how things have turned out since but it did seem like a real shame at the time!

Can owed the club nothing the club owed him nothing.

He left the right way he did his best when on the pitch and saw out the contract the club gave him before moving on he didn't kick up a fuss or have his agent do anything except find him a new deal at a different club out of the eyes of the media.

Yup, still have plenty of time for him, has made interesting career moves, always done the right way with no drama or nonsense in the media.

Juve is a weird place at the moment, as they've done this sudden short term build around Ronaldo to the detriment of their longer term future. If he sees out the next year there, he'll be alright I think, as things readjust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

6 wrote: »
    Probably scored one of the best goals I've seen. Great hair.

A career summed up in 11 12 words, impressive,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    There's a balance though... It's possible to score pretty much just as many goals, but assist even more. In the ratio of chance quality, i'm happy for Mo to go for it, even if he only has a 40% chance of scoring while the other person might have a 60% chance. So he can totally take his risks and pull off magic... but the two that happened on Saturday were more like 20% to 80%, with Salah having basically no chance of scoring in either case, while the other players were in dream positions that they'd be slotting away in their sleep.

You're never gonna get that balance perfect, but I think he could do with a very small switch towards the selfless. Can still afford to be much greedier than Bobby.

Just score all the goals and pass all the times you're going to miss. Maybe there's a club legend knocking around who could give him a tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Was he starting much for them last season?

I thought he picked up a bad injury not long after joining them....

I've nowt against Emre (other than his dashing good looks and fashion sense) and thought he handled his exit well from the club...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

gimli2112 wrote: »
    A career summed up in 11 12 words, impressive,

you should know he only does multiples of 6

Fieldog wrote: »
    Was he starting much for them last season?

I thought he picked up a bad injury not long after joining them....

I've nowt against Emre (other than his dashing good looks and fashion sense) and thought he handled his exit well from the club...

He played a lot last year once he came back from injury, but they just brought in Rabiot and Ramsey on free transfers in midfield, and then couldn't shift a few high earners like Khedira, so they've ended up with an accidentally bloated squad.

Their intention I think would have been for Khedira and Dybala to have gone, and then Mandzukic and Can to be in the CL squad, but since they're stuck with those guys on high wages (and of course both still decent and brilliant respectively) they're including them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Always knew he was ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Next stop is Turkey for Can I reckon, has peaked and is on the way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

mags1962 wrote: »
    Next stop is Turkey for Can I reckon, has peaked and is on the way down.

Did he actually peak, I must have missed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Did he actually peak, I must have missed that

His 10 seconds of ''peak'' was caught on tape

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Apparently one night against Watford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Before the season started i thought city would win the league, but after seeing how liverpool have started the season they look extremely impressive and potential champions. Laporte looks like he will be out for a while as well so improves yer chances even more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

bangkok wrote: »
    Before the season started i thought city would win the league, but after seeing how liverpool have started the season they look extremely impressive and potential champions. Laporte looks like he will be out for a while as well so improves yer chances even more

I'd love to agree with all that but I think our squad doesn't have enough depth to handle injuries. Particularly to VVD and Firmino. Hopefully I'm wrong but it's hard to see past a very impressive City fighting all the way to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

City lost De Bruyne last year and it didn't stop them at all. They are a machine and it will take a lot more than the loss of one world class player to slow them down unfortunatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We've gained a Fabinho right from the off this season, he looked a flop for the first 1/3 of last season, now he looks best in the world in his position. Could be the difference this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

We've gained a Fabinho right from the off this season, he looked a flop for the first 1/3 of last season, now he looks best in the world in his position. Could be the difference this time around.

If we can keep the back 6 fit (including Fabby in that 6), then we have a chance as the other 5 can rotate to some degree (saving private Bobby)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

steve_r wrote: »
    City lost De Bruyne last year and it didn't stop them at all. They are a machine and it will take a lot more than the loss of one world class player to slow them down unfortunatly.

They had someone to replace him though.

They have lost laporte for a long while now it seems and kompany has already left the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Losing a central defender won’t be a big issue for them considering 90% of the teams they play are more concerned with keeping the score down than actually attacking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Can always flattered to deceive. The guy walked his way through matches for us. More often than not it was hendo who was the fall guy when things went tits up, despite doing the work of two men in the middle.
    Nothing against the guy but he was no loss to us and no great benefit to Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

His 10 seconds of ''peak'' was caught on tape

Did he not finish off a lovely team goal? One of our trademark counter attacks.

Iirc it was cross by Firmino.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Did he not finish off a lovely team goal? One of our trademark counter attacks.

Iirc it was cross by Firmino.

Against Hoffenheim in CL qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

He scored twice vs Hoffenheim to put us into the Champions League proper in 17/18.

I always liked the guy, disappointing to see it hasn't worked out for him. I don't know why some people have to flip on players who've left and claim they were never any good anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Pedro Chirivella named in the Premier League squad. Amazed he's still around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement