Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I literally do not know how or why he is still at the club. He is this years Kevin Stewart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

bangkok wrote: »
    They had someone to replace him though.

They have lost laporte for a long while now it seems and kompany has already left the club.

Have a feeling they'll not really struggle anyway... In most games they could have just about anyone at the back and it wouldn't really matter.

Between Stones, Otamendi, Walker, and the option of Fernandinho at CB (which actually I think they might well opt for), they'll be grand.

Also have a feeling Kompany will come back on a short term deal in January, since the management part of his move is already dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

A warning for abusing Michael Owen. Totally forgot how retarded this place is. Gluck

User has been banned

8-10 wrote: »
    Pedro Chirivella named in the Premier League squad. Amazed he's still around.

Putting him in the shop window for January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Also lol at 'the good old boys' for reporting 'abuse' of Michael Owen. You have a micropenis.
    Unless you're a chick, in which case you have a large clit.

CMOD: Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Also lol at 'the good old boys' for reporting 'abuse' of Michael Owen. You have a micropenis.

Jesus wept :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Umaro wrote: »
    He scored twice vs Hoffenheim to put us into the Champions League proper in 17/18.

I always liked the guy, disappointing to see it hasn't worked out for him. I don't know why some people have to flip on players who've left and claim they were never any good anyways.

Have you checked the posting history of all Can denyers to ensure they have actually "flipped" though? If you're going to post about posters rather than players, do your research first!

Can was a poor player back then and nothing has changed since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Jesus Wept wrote: »

That's a bit childish in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

How does he know that you reported the post good ole boys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

How does he know that you reported the post good ole boys?

I asked the same question. I am guessing since he is a mod, he can see it?

The mod of " Sunshine, Lollipops & Rainbows" :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

FWIW I didn't post that about Can to shít on him, I always liked him, it just goes to show with him out of favour and Coutinho already being pushed out of Barca that the grass isn't always greener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Before the season started i thought city would win the league, but after seeing how liverpool have started the season they look extremely impressive and potential champions. Laporte looks like he will be out for a while as well so improves yer chances even more

did your own gang hunt you, actually think you are a good poster, just a bit misunderstood !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Don't think people are being over critical of Can. You're disappointed when a decent player leaves and will always wryly smile when things don't turn out better. Can's problem imo was always his consistency, he could be great but he good be poor too.

I think we're all united by the fact he had great hair and scored a great goal against Watford, which maybe says something too about his contribution while at the club

You look at some of the recent posts and you wonder if the application process to join the soccer forum is worth the paper it's written on. Some on here will be orgasmic to have goaded a mod (albeit not a soccer mod) to be reprimanded. It may actually be the pinnacle of their sad lives.

I personally know which type of poster I think benefits this forum the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

You look at some of the recent posts and you wonder if the application process to join the soccer forum is worth the paper it's written on. Some on here will be orgasmic to have goaded a mod (albeit not a soccer mod) to be reprimanded. It may actually be the pinnacle of their sad lives.

Sure what else have they got to pat about?
    Alternate tables?

/antoniobanderaslaptopgif :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Who goaded him? The post is edited now so I can’t see what it said but it looks like he called Owen or Shearer something he shouldn’t have. So who goaded him? Owen? Shearer? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Who goaded him? The post is edited now so I can’t see what it said but it looks like he called Owen or Shearer something he shouldn’t have. So who goaded him? Owen? Shearer? :confused:

Yea and it's very clear that abuse is a card. Can't have any complaints really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

did your own gang hunt you, actually think you are a good poster, just a bit misunderstood !!!!

Bit of a joke really. Thats what happens when you are "too positive" in the utd thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Bit of a joke really. Thats what happens when you are "too positive" in the utd thread

Watching from afar it seems you became a lightening rod for general frustration across the whole thread. Didn't matter what you posted it (more accurately you) was attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

54and56 wrote: »
    Watching from afar it seems you became a lightening rod for general frustration across the whole thread. Didn't matter what you posted it (more accurately you) was attacked.

Defo. A good few have said that to me as well. Anyway its being looked into so hopefully i will be back posting there soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Can was a good player for us, but the lack of consistency was a problem. Compare the last 6+months for Fabinho against any 6 month period for Can. Can would have been a good squad player, but I think we were always hoping he'd either improve significantly or get replaced by someone better. Juve aren't short of CM's, so someone was going to lose out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Can was a good player for us, but the lack of consistency was a problem. Compare the last 6+months for Fabinho against any 6 month period for Can. Can would have been a good squad player, but I think we were always hoping he'd either improve significantly or get replaced by someone better. Juve aren't short of CM's, so someone was going to lose out.

When Henderson outplays you at number 6 role, and you are gassed out trying to play the box to box swashbuckling role that Klopp doesn't necessarily enjoy watching anyway, and you can't be consistent enough or cool enough on the ball to control a game, you may as well pack your bags.
    He was good in patches and had some high-impact moments (goals and tackles) but was not of the quality needed for this club, either technically or temperamentally.

Imagine if we were having a **** midtable season. The place was would be in absolute meltdown!

Roll on Newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Glad Lovren is around. He will start in cup games and hopefully get his confidence back up. Funny feeling we are going to need him sooner or later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Umaro wrote: »
    I don't know why some people have to flip on players who've left and claim they were never any good anyways.

No flipping going on here mate. Never rated him as highly as some on here. (ya can check my history if ya want...I stand by my opinion.. he actually walked though games.)
    Same as sahko.
    The sun shone out of both their asses for some folk on here...never understood why. Good hair and being a 'beast' will only get ya so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I just copped that we are going to play Chelsea away and Napoli away back to back in a couple of weeks, the exact same stage as last season.

I would currently expect a better result in the league against Chelsea anyways, for the game away to Napoli I am not too sure. They sound like they have bought well this summer and were unlucky to lose to Juventus at the weekend.

I think Sahko was a decent centre half but suffers from a comparison with VVD (who wouldn't suffer from such a comparison?) and the fact he acted the clown and seemed unable not to be able not to act like a clown when told he was acting like a clown. He also had comparatively poor hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Dont think I've ever heard Sakho being compared to VVD.
    He "suffers" because he was like bambi on ice, a class clown and kept taking unnecessary risks on the pitch.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think Sahko was a decent centre half but suffers from a comparison with VVD (who wouldn't suffer from such a comparison?) and the fact he acted the clown and seemed unable not to be able not to act like a clown when told he was acting like a clown. He also had comparatively poor hair.
    I never rated Sahko. Couldn't believe we got so much money for him. Just looked like an accident waiting to happen far too often. Bit like Lovern, a good backup, but can't rely on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I don't think can is good enough for this team, obviously not juves either,we are on a different level now,pace setters rather than scraping for top 4 .

Tiz great

Sahko looked awkward but somehow was pretty effective. I appreciate if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck it's probably a duck but somehow Sahko was a pretty good defender. I was sad to see him go but understood the reasons why and we have significantly upgraded that area since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Sahko and Can looked good at times but sometimes I think people looking at players like that and think what they might develop into, rather than what they are.

Can only went to Juve because he was free, realistically no top team would have been willing to pay a decent fee for him. Likewise with Sahko, bombed at PSG, had ups and downs with Liverpool (depending on who you ask) and hasn't been linked with a top tier team since going to Palace.

There was a good article recently that talked about squad management - that getting rid of the players that are not top level is also required, not just quality recruitment. Sahko is a great example of a player shipped on, and replaced by Matip/Gomez who are significantly better.

Can being replaced by Fabinho is a textbook example of getting a far superior player.

I like both players, and I see why people wanted them to succeed but they were never going to turn into the players we needed to challenge for a title. The club identified their "ceiling" and moved them on (or let them leave), and were proved right, similar to how Solanke, Ibe etc have been moved on.

I know Can has a different case because of the free transfer but I believe if they had really wanted him to stay they would have made it happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

How sad and lonesome do you have to be to report someone to a mod, too many snowflakes around I think

Our game away to West ham on Dec 21st is to be rescheduled because of world club championships, that's good news anyway around a very congested period

Edit, didn't realise the final was on around that time so it was always gonna be postponed anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Our game away to West ham on Dec 21st is to be rescheduled because of world club championships, that's good news anyway around a very congested period

Edit, didn't realise the final was on around that time so it was always gonna be postponed anyway

Took a look at the Club World Cup, here's the teams already qualified:
    • Espérance de Tunis (Africa)
    • Monterrey (North/Central America)
    • Hienghène Sport (Oceania)
    • Al-Sadd (Qatar - host)
    • Liverpool (Europe)

With 2 places still to be determined:
    • Copa Libertadores Winners - currently in Semi-Final stage with a mouth-watering Boca v River Plate all-Argentinian and a Grêmio v Flamengo all-Brazilian semi final to determine the final on 23rd November

• AFC Champions League Winners (Asia) - currently in Quarter-Final stage with the final being between teams from East Asia (China or Japan) v West Asia (Saudi Arabia or Qatar) finishing 24th November

Al-Sadd might still win the AFC Championship meaning that the runner-up would qualify as they are already in the tournament representing the hosts.

Entry Rounds:

1st Round (Dec-11):

Al Sadd or AFC Championship runner up v Hienghène Sport

Quarter Final (Dec-14):

1st round winner + Al Sadd or AFC Championship Winner + Espérance de Tunis + Monterrey

Semi Final (Dec-17/18):

Quarter Final winners v Liverpool + Copa Libertadores winner

Then Final (Dec-21), 3rd place (Dec-21) and 5th place (Dec-17) games based on the outcomes of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

After reading this I felt like how opposition defenders feel when Mo is running at them and turning them inside out. :P

The WC club championships have really expanded. In my day you only had to fly 1/2 way around the world, lose 0-1 to some team from Brazil and then fly back.
    Surely at some point someone will realise this thing is just nonsense. Who's interested in it? Does this count as one of our trophies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

The WC club championships have really expanded. In my day you only had to fly 1/2 way around the world, lose 0-1 to some team from Brazil and then fly back.
    Surely at some point someone will realise this thing is just nonsense. Who's interested in it? Does this count as one of our trophies?

It’s a strange one – in theory it should be the biggest club trophy of them all since it’s, y’know, the World Club Cup and all, but I think the fact that it’s run in December (bang in the middle of the European leagues), and always in Asia (why is this, btw?), means that it’s looked at as a hassle. If it was played in Europe in August I’d say it would have more shine but even then, everyone knows that the CL is the hardest knock-out competition to win.

But yeah the Brazilian/Argentinian teams seem to take the WCC more seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

fyfe79 wrote: »
    It’s a strange one – in theory it should be the biggest club trophy of them all since it’s, y’know, the World Club Cup and all, but I think the fact that it’s run in December (bang in the middle of the European leagues), and always in Asia (why is this, btw?), means that it’s looked at as a hassle. If it was played in Europe in August I’d say it would have more shine but even then, everyone knows that the CL is the hardest knock-out competition to win.

But yeah the Brazilian/Argentinian teams seem to take the WCC more seriously.

They're revamping it in 2021 to be a larger event in the summer replacing the Confederations Cup like the international World Cup.

It's expected to have 24 clubs but many clubs oppose the idea.

Of course it's a big trophy, I can't wait till we win it and can call ourselves the champions of the world, something we've never officially been able to do, plus what a lovely Xmas present to get

• Advertisement

Yes. It only seems to be the English teams that have this mentality, same as per the Euro Super Cup. You have to win the CL to get into it. Far better than winning the League Cup IMO. It's not the CL or PL, but def worth winning, esp as we'd probably only have to field our best team once to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    How sad and lonesome do you have to be to report someone to a mod, too many snowflakes around I think

Dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

it be nice to win it but I'd much rather win the league cup if given the option.

Owen's not taking any prisoners following on from his attack on Shearer, he's also highly critical of Beckham's sending off in France and Capello's time as the England manager. That's how you sell a book, good old controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yes. It only seems to be the English teams that have this mentality

The Same English teams and supporters that have the mentality that the Europa League is a waste of time and want to avoid it as it is 'a distraction' from the league. Like what is the point of trying to finish higher in the league in order to qualify for Europe, just so you can get out of it ASAP the following season, just to concentrate on finishing in the same EL places and continue the cycle again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

These god damn international breaks :mad:

Any way back to more pressing matters. Our next block of games before we have another international break then play Man Utd on the 20th October are 2 CL, 1 CC and 4 league games.
    I feel we can win all 6 but most definitely the 4 league games we should win for THIS team.

Sept:
    14th - Newcastle (H)
    17th - Napoli (A)
    22nd - Chelsea (A)
    25th - MK Dons (A) (2nd string team)
    28th - Sheffield Utd (A)

Oct:
    2nd - Salzburg (H)
    5th - Leicester (H)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Owen's not taking any prisoners following on from his attack on Shearer, he's also highly critical of Beckham's sending off in France and Capello's time as the England manager. That's how you sell a book, good old controversy.

a book !!!! the man is not the brightest and didn't accomplish that much of note to have a book out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    No flipping going on here mate. Never rated him as highly as some on here. (ya can check my history if ya want...I stand by my opinion.. he actually walked though games.)
    Same as sahko.
    The sun shone out of both their asses for some folk on here...never understood why. Good hair and being a 'beast' will only get ya so far.

Did you just give me homework?
    Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Thats it Can! Do your talking out on the pitch. He can now come back to the table with a goal of the season and say..."pay me what i'm worth"!! Sign him up !! His knee slide alone is worth 100k a week.

Yikes fella :)

Anyways, my point was that he isn't as poor a player as some people would make out. In that particular season it was a midfield of Can, Hendo, Gini and Milner that secured Top 4 and took us to a Champions League final. Lallana was out injured for large parts of the season, Ox only made 14 starts in the league vs Can's 24 (though Ox was brilliant in CL for us, hope we get him back to that level).

Can helped us get back into regular CL qualification, and when he left the door was opened for Fabinho to steal our hearts. I wouldn't be looking for us to take Can back but I'm not going to rewrite his time with us either. He was a good player, but now we have a Rolls Royce in that position and Ox is back from injury too and deserves a chance to stake his claim.

FitzShane wrote: »
    The Same English teams and supporters that have the mentality that the Europa League is a waste of time and want to avoid it as it is 'a distraction' from the league. Like what is the point of trying to finish higher in the league in order to qualify for Europe, just so you can get out of it ASAP the following season, just to concentrate on finishing in the same EL places and continue the cycle again.
    Chelsea fans were pretty happy to win it :)
    Back into the CL if nothing else for some teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

a book !!!! the man is not the brightest and didn't accomplish that much of note to have a book out

he won nearly everything he could @ domestic level and also the only English player in about 40 years to win Player of the year.

Not his biggest fan but there's plenty with books out who are lower level than he was

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement