Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Advice needed

Options
  • 31-07-2019 8:49pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I rear ended a car today. I just wasn't paying attention. Barely tipped her. I gave her my details. She wanted to call cops but I was late for a hospital appointment. It was my fault. No photos were taken but I gave her my details. She did report it to the cops. I rang the cops back.
    Intitaly she was open to me paying privately
    Next thing her husband calls and says they have been let down in the past in these situations. He is a cop.
    He is insisting on going through my insurance even though I have an excess of 3k..I had a few tips last few years
    So anyway I should ring my insurance. What happens if the figure for the bumper comes to below 3k ? I pay that but what happens to my premium?
    They didn't seem like they were heading to a personal injury claim .
    Any advice in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Advise your insurer and let them deal with it. If it comes in below your excess, you'll be asked to reimburse them

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Advise your insurer and let them deal with it. If it comes in below your excess, you'll be asked to reimburse them

How long do they give me to pay up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Bobtheman wrote: »
    How long do they give me to pay up ?

Usually as soon as settlement is finalised with the 3rd party and all the costs are known

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you can't pay it all in one go ask about instalments.
    Do let the insurer handle this one.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

biko wrote: »
    If you can't pay it all in one go ask about instalments.
    Do let the insurer handle this one.

Do they allow that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask the insurer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭thebiglad

€3k excess - are you with XS Direct?

If so then they will allow you to pay by instalments - just need to discuss with them once the claim is settled and they send you the bill.

If not XS Direct - then it is likely the excess applies only to the damage on your car, you don't claim for that and you have to pay nothing. If you then choose to repay the other person's claim (to restore your no claim bonus) then you will have to do so in full (I do not know of any insurers that would accept instalments) - payment will have to be made before the policy renewal date to be effective.

If you are the latter you can always set aside a monthly amount to make up the full cost and then pay it to the insurer prior to renewal date (but in full as they would see it).

Advertisement