Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ozzie teacher teaching council issue

• 31-07-2019 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I am on a de facto visa from Australia. Have my degree in primary teaching. I am looking to get my teaching number.

I did not get my degree accredited it oz. Worked as a primary teacher in the UK for two years again didn't get it accredited.

The teaching council say they will not give me a teaching number. Apart from one that let's me do "sub work" or further education.

I am told I have to go back to oz to get it sorted which takes 12 months to do.

I don't understand why I can't just do the driochead process here. Instead of going home for a year and then when I come back assume I have to do the driochead thing anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xxGrainnexx

Hi,

Just checking, you have completed your degree but haven't completed the equivalent of the probation process in Australia? So like the nqt year in the UK?

According to the teaching council website you have to be probated in the country you achieved your degree.

"From 1 January 2011, persons commencing a programme of initial teacher education outside Ireland and who wish to register with the Teaching Council under the mobility rights (for workers) of Council Directive 2005/36/EC (EEA Countries), must have full registration from the country in which they completed the programme of initial teacher education."

https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Registration/Registration-with-Conditions/

Unfortunately the teaching council do not make it easy for people to register. You might be able to register with conditions but this is limited to 3 years so you will have to go to Australia at some stage. If you do complete it in Australia it should be recognised by the TC and you won't have to complete droichead. You will have to add on Irish within 3 years to work in a mainstream class.

You can also work as an unqualified sub. If you do this you need to be aware of the five day rule.

"An unregistered person so appointed may not be paid from public funds for a continuous period of more than 5 consecutive school days."

As far as I know this means you could work Monday to Friday but couldn't work the following Monday. Then could work Tuesday to Monday, etc.

Advertisement