Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly lost my Strava KOM

Options
  • 01-08-2019 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So someone nearly took my one and only Strava KOM.

So I'm wondering is there any tools that would allow me to analyse the route. Such as being able to see what wattage would be needed to repeat my KOM time?

It's only a matter of time that I lose it, I have held it since 2014(predates my misses)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Strava usually gives an estimate of power but maybe it didn't back in 2014 and it would be based off of your weight back then.

I take it that the KOM is on a gradient that's some way respectable(average 5% or more)

Maybe this calculator would give you a good estimate.

http://bikecalculator.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

tuxy wrote: »
    Strava usually gives an estimate of power but maybe it didn't back in 2014 and it would be based off of your weight back then.

I take it that the KOM is on a gradient that's some way respectable(average 5% or more)

Maybe this calculator would give you a good estimate.

http://bikecalculator.com/

It's actually a popular time-trail route, its fairly flat with two kicks of roughly 3%

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    It's actually a popular time-trail route, its fairly flat with two kicks of roughly 3%

Then power is fairly irreverent just wait for a very windy day with the wind in the right direction or get your friend to drive a car and draft him.

Then power is fairly irreverent just wait for a very windy day with the wind in the right direction or get your friend to drive a car and draft him.

Ha ha ha

Get my buddy out in the squad car

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Ha ha ha

Get my buddy out in the squad car
    Know anyone with a truck?

Despite the music and how cool these guys think they are it's not too smart.

Drafting a truck like that at 70 km/h is about as brave/stupid as I've gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

If you have KOM on popular TT route, you are wattage bazooka. How come you have only one KOM?

strmin wrote: »
    If you have KOM on popular TT route, you are wattage bazooka. How come you have only one KOM?

Numerous reasons, but the main one was that I was off the bike for nearly 4 years and over that time lost the rest. It's fairly popular, yesterday alone 17 people did the segment. When I set the KOM I was in training for racing until an injury. So currently trying to get myself back to where I was

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't mention what strava segment it is, some boardsie will probably try to go out and grab it...

don't mention what strava segment it is, some boardsie will probably try to go out and grab it...

I currently won't be ha ha

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Haven't used it but https://mywindsock.com/ has a few tools for this type of thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Maybe post the segment here and we can analyse it for you ;)

Bambaata wrote: »
    Maybe post the segment here and we can analyse it for you ;)

Ok here you go...www.strav....hey wait a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Sorry about Mad Dog Lane again :pac: To make it up to you I'll give you a lead out on Glebe Road East, Wishbone Ash Mercian Pro Weepsie will never know ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was you? i'm bleedin' surrounded by turncoats.
    i recently got the KOM on this - have a pop at it: https://www.strava.com/activities/2566930445/segments/64457898902

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sorry about Mad Dog Lane again :pac: To make it up to you I'll give you a lead out on Glebe Road East, Wishbone Ash Mercian Pro Weepsie will never know ;)

I will now! I felt like I could do it marginally quicker, however, there's a bit near the end where if youre going full gas you've a car approaching, you've to give up

i gave it a go the other night, went too hard too soon, on cold legs. you're safe (by 10s) for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The best feeling is stealing a KOM from an ex pat thats gone to 'Stralia. Never taking that one back eh matey!

Second best is nicking your clubmates in his hometown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Worst is when you lose one abroad :( I've had some abroad that I'll never be on again. Worse again are all the run koms I had, I haven't ran in 3 years so no hope of getting them back!!

I think people need to man up and post links to their most precious KOM and dare other member to attempt to claim it!

I think people need to man up and post links to their most precious KOM and dare other member to attempt to claim it!

It's all I got, gotta hold on for my life...I'm like one of those asshole boyfriends who won't let their Strava segment out with the other segments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Know anyone with a truck?
    Drafting a truck like that at 70 km/h is about as brave/stupid as I've gone.

I go back to that video a couple of times a year. Each time I watch it, I think they are more stupid than I thought previously.

bunny hopping at that speed :eek::eek::eek:

All the decent KOM with some real climbing in my area have been taken by someone who was about 50kg at the time.
    My goal has been to get into the top 10 on them, far more rewarding than the actual KOMs I hold.

All the decent KOM with some real climbing in my area have been taken by someone who was about 50kg at the time.
    My goal has been to get into the top 10 on them, far more rewarding than the actual KOMs I hold.

Those super light climbers are right whores

I go back to that video a couple of times a year. Each time I watch it, I think they are more stupid than I thought previously.

bunny hopping at that speed :eek::eek::eek:

Better than hitting large cats eyes at that speed but switching lane wouldn't cross my mind at that speed or anywhere near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've held this one (on my commute) for 4 years now even though I'm not particularly fast. A certain Mr Sherlock is 1 second behind!

(Admittedly it's not a particularly popular route with only 21 on the list.)

The gauntlet has been thrown down!.:)

https://www.strava.com/segments/3804382

this is the only one i think i still have; i lost KOMs recently on two other minor ones.

https://www.strava.com/segments/18593200

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

this is the only one i think i still have; i lost KOMs recently on two other minor ones.

https://www.strava.com/segments/18593200
    I have 15 currently but half of them are obscure ones created on private roads/trails by teenagers on MTB's around my workplace. There was a while back in 2016 when, anytime I took an alternative route into work, I was bagging a KOM. It was getting embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I had this one for ages - watching it go was tough but with time and therapy I'm over the loss :cool: No way I could dig another 30 seconds out of the bag.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I had the Christchurch one for a while - the two ahead of me look dodgy but maybe that's just bitterness talking (It's definitely bitterness talking).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

colm18 wrote: »
    I had the Christchurch one for a while - the two ahead of me look dodgy but maybe that's just bitterness talking (It's definitely bitterness talking).

Defo a bit sketchy. :D

Advertisement