Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly lost my Strava KOM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I had a lovely KOM for a while until clearly someone in a car left their Strava on while going through my KOM segment. After that disappointment I gave up in the whole segment stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

There certainly are prestigious ones around that most know about . Howth TT is definitely a popular one !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I had a lovely KOM for a while until clearly someone in a car left their Strava on while going through my KOM segment. After that disappointment I gave up in the whole segment stuff.

Report it to Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I got a KOM when the GPS must have gotten funky and recorded a full road when I only cycled half of it. I reported it and they took it down. Report that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my father in law (not a cyclist) is organising a charity cycle. i had to get him to log into strava on his computer yesterday - he'd been using it to map out the route - and hide all his activities. he was a little put out that people had ratted him out on strava, until i explained that bagging people's KOMs while driving a powerful merc was not quite sportsmanlike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No KOMs for me but third on an off road bit I do regularly and had been hoping to steal early one summer morning. Bastard mother nature with her briars and nettles and encroaching foliage put paid to that. Sitting here with shredded calves and a beer plotting plan B. About as much chance as Wiley E Cayote catching the roadrunner..... (It will be mine!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Have a few alright but with so many top riders around my area there are mine only cos the don't travel the roads.

I did however take 2 off the head of my coaching company!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ive a fair few (head swell!) but top few most happy with would be:

6000+
    https://www.strava.com/segments/12828303

600+ and a far out and back so no wind advantage
    https://www.strava.com/segments/3386883

900 odd
    https://www.strava.com/segments/2128189

Not many have done this but its another fair fiull loop one
    https://www.strava.com/segments/1663860

And one that if anyone manages to get access to beat then far play to ya :P
    https://www.strava.com/segments/3677659

My most proud one was a loop iin Phoenix park that i had for a good while until a bloody olympian nabbed it, and by nab i mean destroyed it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

that was you? i'm bleedin' surrounded by turncoats.
    i recently got the KOM on this - have a pop at it: https://www.strava.com/activities/2566930445/segments/64457898902
    That looks doable :cool:
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Report it to Strava
    I have given up reporting, last one I tried reporting, it told me it was already reported and resolved. I just commented he left it on in his Car, and he edited it straight away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    That looks doable :cool:
    Very. Not a well traveled segment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    That looks doable :cool:....
    If you can find it!

magicbastarder seems to navigate the most obscure backroads of North Co Dublin and east Co Meath. Strava indicates that I have done it once in a club ride in August 2016 (20th place) but I have no recollection of it.

I have a rough rule that every time I go out I should find a road I've not been on before, but that's getting a bit harder now. That 'feeling well' segment isn't so obscure for me, I lived a couple of hundred metres away for six months.

I see a someone had a pop at it today, got within 1s of catching me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Email: Gary has stolen your KOM.

Goddamn it Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Have had three. One which was the meath heritage tour. Was then beaten by 11 seconds. Only have one now which is the long mile road but thats just a case of getting luck with the lights and holding 350 for two minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a rough rule that every time I go out I should find a road I've not been on before, but that's getting a bit harder now. That 'feeling well' segment isn't so obscure for me, I lived a couple of hundred metres away for six months.

I see a someone had a pop at it today, got within 1s of catching me.

I sat up, couldn't do that to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Borderfox wrote: »
    I sat up, couldn't do that to you ;)
    hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

tuxy wrote: »
    Know anyone with a truck?

Despite the music and how cool these guys think they are it's not too smart.

Drafting a truck like that at 70 km/h is about as brave/stupid as I've gone.

This is not stupid.. this is pure bravery and skill,. Love it.

I nearly threw up when he bunny hopped the first time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I lost one while I was busy drinking over the weekend. Enough time that I won't be taking it back

ED E wrote: »
    Email: Gary has stolen your KOM.

Goddamn it Gary.

Five emails about. Five. And five push notifications.

Rubbing salt in the wound there lads (Ride London's fault tbh)

• Advertisement

Five emails about. Five. And five push notifications.

Rubbing salt in the wound there lads (Ride London's fault tbh)

Once a week Strava send me an email about a KOM I lost in Tallaght. I get it, I lost it. John G took it 2 months ago, yet once a week they send me a reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

There certainly are prestigious ones around that most know about . Howth TT is definitely a popular one !

I'm 13th on that due to a tailwind in a club league TT a few years ago. Three of us broke 7 minutes. Couldn't believe I only finished third!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sorry to dig this thread up again but do Strava still ignore reporting rides? Tired of seeing the same names at the top when they're clearly driving. I've heard reports of Strava not doing anything about these sort of rides.

Whatever about forgetting to stop the Garmin before driving home but it's lousy to not edit or remove the ride completely. Some people seem to start recording in the middle of the road and are driving home, it doesn't look like they forgot to stop recording.

Looks like it's advertising purposes for some people. It's one of the reasons I stopped trying with KOMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Have you flagged the section? Ive never had any issues once flagged

Bambaata wrote: »
    Have you flagged the section? Ive never had any issues once flagged

Most are marked resolved so Strava won't let you re report. I find if your tired, grumpy and leave a comment, it rectified it properly for most people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Sorry to dig this thread up again but do Strava still ignore reporting rides? Tired of seeing the same names at the top when they're clearly driving. I've heard reports of Strava not doing anything about these sort of rides.

Whatever about forgetting to stop the Garmin before driving home but it's lousy to not edit or remove the ride completely. Some people seem to start recording in the middle of the road and are driving home, it doesn't look like they forgot to stop recording.

Looks like it's advertising purposes for some people. It's one of the reasons I stopped trying with KOMs.
    Go into the ride and leave a comment (in a nice way) - sometimes does the trick.

What's continuing to piss me off is people using two recording devices and uploading both to Strava. It seems to be getting worse.

Go into the ride and leave a comment (in a nice way) - sometimes does the trick.

What's continuing to piss me off is people using two recording devices and uploading both to Strava. It seems to be getting worse.

Easily fixable if Strava devs were even the slightest bit arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Took one off Conor Henebry today though i did create it ages ago!!!

Hope he stays away from it now.

Easily fixable if Strava devs were even the slightest bit arsed.
    I have had messages from Strava before to let me know that it rejected upload of a duplicate ride, so the functionality is there but obviously not foolproof. Have done it when my Garmin was running low on juice so recorded the ride on my phone too as a just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Most times when I get a message saying I've lost one, don't even recognize it or wasn't aware of having it.

The joys of small ponds and living in the sticks

Advertisement