Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to cycling

Options
  • 01-08-2019 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

So I don’t know what the rules of the road are for drivers so I often don’t know if it’s m in the wrong. Traffic is stopped I’m going along the outside trying to get up to the lights someone is coming across the lane down a side road. Do I have right of way should I be watching out for these people? I feel I have good awareness but at other times I feel I have no business being out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Probably best to specify the location exactly. However if they're joining a main road (which you're on) then you would have right of way. (If I'm reading that the way it's meant)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're on the 'main' road, you have priority - the person emerging from the side road would usually have a stop or yield sign - or traffic lights - facing them. however beware of not being visible to that other motorist in case they cant see you (easily the case if you're cycling past stopped traffic, they may not have line of sight to you). also, they may not be looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

if you're on the 'main' road, you have priority - the person emerging from the side road would usually have a stop or yield sign - or traffic lights - facing them. however beware of not being visible to that other motorist in case they cant see you (easily the case if you're cycling past stopped traffic, they may not have line of sight to you). also, they may not be looking.

It was someone turning into a side lane from the parallel lane. Yep, I’m also aware of people flying out of side roads. I’ve made myself as visible as possible with the high vis, lights etc.,

Advertisement