Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch "Burqa ban" comes into force from today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

While I am uncomfortable with the government telling people what they can and cannot wear I understand it from a security point of view.

I very rarely see women in Ireland with the full burka anyway, I wonder how necessary it is. However it is an oppressive garment and shouldn't be really something to be encouraged.

I suppose I don't agree with banning what you can and cannot wear whatever the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Full facial covering should not be permitted for numerous reasons. Head scarfs as long as they don't obscure the face are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

I see quite a lot of burka’s in Dublin. If you go to any of the big shopping centres mid-week you will see plenty. I don’t like the gov telling women what they can and cannot wear. By the same token I don’t like religious men telling women what they can or cannot wear so I am conflicted

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

wellwhynot wrote: »
    I see quite a lot of burka’s in Dublin. If you go to any of the big shopping centres mid-week you will see plenty. I don’t like the gov telling women what they can and cannot wear. By the same token I don’t like religious men telling women what they can or cannot wear so I am conflicted

I hear you, but its not just about burqas. Look at the US we have gangs of what have been described as "domestic terrorists" masked going around beating people up.

And we had one or two incidents like that here also.

It shouldnt be allowed.

You really don't. Its quite rare to see one and I live in an area which would have one of the highest percentages of foreign people in the country.

• Advertisement

You really don't. Its quite rare to see one and I live in an area which would have one of the highest percentages of foreign people in the country.

You see the odd one around the South Circular Road in Dublin. I think the Dutch/French bans are good on the whole. They are both extremely tolerant places but there comes a time when lines need to be drawn in the sand and European countries need to define and stand up for their own values.

As a general rule, tolerance alone does not work when dealing with intolerant people (note: I am NOT saying burqa wearers are intolerant). I am just saying endless appeasement, tolerance, capitulation etc. does not end up in a happy clappy utopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You see the odd one around the South Circular Road in Dublin. I think the Dutch/French bans are good on the whole. They are both extremely tolerant places but there comes a time when lines need to be drawn in the sand and European countries need to define and stand up for their own values.

As a general rule, tolerance alone does not work when dealing with intolerant people (note: I am NOT saying burqa wearers are intolerant). I am just saying endless appeasement, tolerance, capitulation etc. does not end up in a happy clappy utopia.

European tolerance will be the death of itself.

When you wear a Burqa it shows your views, same as a swastika tattoo would.

I dont buy the whole the goverment shouldnt be allowed tell us what or what not to wear argument. they already do in a way. We are required to wear clothing in public or we'll be arrested. Same thing.

I agree, there does need to be a line and maybe this is the line. We cannot be tolerant of things that are completely against our way of life. This is a garment that is offensive in itself.

However I just can't get past its the government telling people what they can and cannot wear and I am just not in agreement with that aspect of it.

Danzy wrote: »

Should a swastika be illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

I agree, there does need to be a line and maybe this is the line. We cannot be tolerant of things that are completely against our way of life. This is a garment that is offensive in itself.

However I just can't get past its the government telling people what they can and cannot wear and I am just not in agreement with that aspect of it.

Covering you face in public is not normal nor should it be normalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm conflicted about the whole dictating what one should wear. Also the dutch ban is far reaching, if it was Halloween and you were wearing a costume going to a party would the cops tell you to take it off?

But I understand why the burqa should be banned, perhaps if only the burqa was banned and not other types of 'covering'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Anto Lynch wrote: »
    https://www.dw.com/en/dutch-burqa-ban-comes-into-force/a-49838909
    What are peoples thoughts on this? Personally i dont have a problem with it, i think in this day an age nobody should be allowed walk the streets with their face covered whether that be with a balaclava or a burka.

For security reasons with the current threat from Islamic, left & right wing terrorists. This is a step in the right direction. People have no reason to be concealing their identity.

Would you support such a ban in Ireland and if not why not?

I live in an area where the burka is very common, it's never bothered me to be honest. After a rough night on the beer I've often been jealous and wished I could wear one to work :) I was always for John Lennon's Bagism!

I'm in Dublin and have never felt a threat from Islamic, left or right wing terrorists, are people actually feeling this threat around towns and cities in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Government tells us lots of things we can and can't do from a behavioural perspective. This isn't one I'd disagree with myself.

It's nonsense that our societies are bending over backwards to accommodate people, cultural norms, and beliefs that are completely at odds with our way of life.

If you come here (ESPECIALLY if you do so on the generosity of this country) you adapt and integrate with our laws and our culture - not the other way around.

Time to start standing up to not just this attitude, but those who think our society should come second, for nothing more than social media virtue signalling :rolleyes:

Fair play to the Dutch. Of course, similar laws will not happen here. We have a leader obsessed with his social media profile and we as a country have a ridiculous "need" to be approved of and validated by others.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I live in an area where the burka is very common, it's never bothered me to be honest. After a rough night on the beer I've often been jealous and wished I could wear one to work :) I was always for John Lennon's Bagism!

I'm in Dublin and have never felt a threat from Islamic, left or right wing terrorists, are people actually feeling this threat around towns and cities in Ireland?

Well we had a bunch of terrorists up training in the Dublin mountains prior to the syrian war kicking off. And we have the 2nd highest number per capita of dirtbags travelling to join isis. The concern is warranted imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Thoroughly welcome this, its a massive security risk in addition to an opressive statement against women. Glad the dutch can see sense

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

I really do. How often are you in Dundrum shopping centre in the morning during the week?

I really do. How often are you in Dundrum shopping centre in the morning during the week?

Never. Maybe there is more of them in Dundrum.

Never. Maybe there is more of them in Dundrum.

Blanch aswell. Drive up the Blanchardstown road Friday lunch time youll see dozens of women in burqas.

Blanch aswell. Drive up the Blanchardstown road Friday lunch time youll see dozens of women in burqas.
    No, not really. I am in Blanch quite often and have never seen dozens of women in burqas. Maybe they are coming from a mosque?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think foreigners should respect the standards wherever they are in the world.

In much the same way as "normal" western clothing would cause upset in Muslim countries, Burka

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

No you don’t. Hijabs possibly.

alastair wrote: »
    No you don’t. Hijabs possibly.

I know the difference between the two.

No, not really. I am in Blanch quite often and have never seen dozens of women in burqas. Maybe they are coming from a mosque?

Yes they are, the mosque on the blanchardstown road. In Blanch....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

plenty in lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I know the difference between the two.

Then you’re simply bull****ting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Very common in Dundrum during the week. I went into a bank a few days ago and somebody strolled in with a full on burqa. That's something that definitely shouldn't be allowed.

No i think you are the one thats bull****ting. Ive drive up and down that road about 20 odd times a week.

Danzy wrote: »

What views?
    It shows your religion for sure. And I hardly think it's comparable to the swastika!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Oh I was wondering when you’d come along to stir the pot… moth to a flame. Moth to a flame.

Advertisement