Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch "Burqa ban" comes into force from today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Anto Lynch wrote: »
    No i think you are the one thats bull****ting. Ive drive up and down that road about 20 odd times a week.

Odds are you’re seeing the one woman repeatedly then. There are very few burka-wearing Muslims in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Serious question, why are they black and kind of uncomfortable looking? Just because in the middle East where its hot wouldn't it attract the heat and be roasting under it ? How come theres none in white silk or other colours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Serious question, why are they black and kind of uncomfortable looking? Just because in the middle East where its hot wouldn't it attract the heat and be roasting under it ? How come theres none in white silk or other colours ?

Its torture. They aint supposed to be comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its for rich women who don't work or need to be outside the home. There is a bit of status symbol there as well. Its way more popular in the gulf where they can sit around on their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Well we had a bunch of terrorists up training in the Dublin mountains prior to the syrian war kicking off. And we have the 2nd highest number per capita of dirtbags travelling to join isis. The concern is warranted imo.

Oh right. I didn't realise people were feeling threatened by these things.
    And do people feel threatened then when they see a woman in a Burka?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/islamqa.info/amp/en/answers/39570

Here you go
    The general gist is ‘not to attract attention ‘

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Me personally no but thats not point. There are no good reasons to be walking around with your face covered. I dont care if its for religious reasons. We are doing a good job of leaving religious nonsense behind in this country.

I would like to see that continue.

Btw you dont think isis fighters presence in this country is worrying?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Honestly I don’t have an issue with it. I e never been offended or scared when I’ve seen women wear them. I guess in the west it’s seen as a sign of oppression. But I don’t know personally if they don’t want to wear it.

I can see why they are banned for security reasons. Just like motor bike helmets are banned from being worn inside banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

In fairness there is a different between having a concern and feeling threatened. I'm slightly concerned about Islam and Islamic terrorism, however I don't feel threatened by either necessarily.

The odds of me being killed in a terrorist attack, by any group, is tiny. And any Muslim I've ever interacted with have been fine, nice people. I still feel the ideology when practised and implemented on a large scale can be dangerous to my values however (similar most religions really).

Me personally no but thats not point. There are no good reasons to be walking around with your face covered. I dont care if its for religious reasons. We are doing a good job of leaving religious nonsense behind in this country.

I would like to see that continue.

I would agree.
    Btw you dont think isis fighters presence in this country is worrying?

I don't but look it's probably more my naieveity/approach to life - not saying someone is wrong to feel how they do about it you know.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    Honestly I don’t have an issue with it. I e never been offended or scared when I’ve seen women wear them. I guess in the west it’s seen as a sign of oppression. But I don’t know personally if they don’t want to wear it.

I can see why they are banned for security reasons. Just like motor bike helmets are banned from being worn inside banks.

Yeah I'd be the same as you - never bothered me. I would think that seems a bit unfair/opressive especially at beaches/pools were they still cover up - but like you say its hard to get in someone's head, if they are happy wearing it I think I'm fine with it.

And the bank thing makes sense! It's a tricky one for me anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It is seen as oppressive in the Middle East as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I guess in the west it’s seen as a sign of oppression. But I don’t know personally if they don’t want to wear it.

There are many who are forced to wear burqas so that their husbands have full control over them.

Having said that, there are some who choose to wear them. They aren't being judged on their appearances and are free from unwelcome male advances and objectifying leers.

Well we had a bunch of terrorists up training in the Dublin mountains prior to the syrian war kicking off. And we have the 2nd highest number per capita of dirtbags travelling to join isis. The concern is warranted imo.

No we didn’t, and no we don’t.

There’s no evidence whatsoever of training camps or whatever in the Wicklow mountains. Radicals who went to join ISIS were out hillwalking for fitness and privacy of conversation, being concerned about surveillance. Neither Gardaí or those who participated claimed any training took place.

And Ireland ranked 37th per capita internationally for the 30 or so people who went to join ISIS. 6.5 people per million, compared to the 545.5 people per million from Tunisia for instance. It’s simply the small Muslim population here that made those 30 a high percentage (0.072%) of the Muslim population.

• Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

I support a ban in all government and privately run places. i.e I think a restaurant should be able to refuse service to a full Burka woman and a bank should be able to refuse too.

I absolutely support it in our schools. We had a case of a Burka teacher taking the school to court. It's unbelievable to me that the left would push for Burka-clad teachers. Imagine growing up as a kid having no clue what your teacher looks like. Just a pair of eyes staring back at you.

I would also have nothing to do with them personally. Seeing facial features and expressions is part of how humans interact. If you want to shut yourself off from society in such a manner, don't expect me to interact with you.

I've go no problem with the Hijab and other garb. Just the face covering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's not going to be enforced anyway, so it's a moot law.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I very rarely see women in Ireland with the full burka anyway, I wonder how necessary it is.
    It is as necessary as anywhere else. Bringing bans in "after the fact" is what caused this mess in the first place.

Bringing the ban in before it's too late means several things:
    We Irish say "women's rights outweigh religious doctrine"
    Liberated Muslims will fell more at ease because the culture they escaped from hasn't followed them here.
    Radical Muslims won't move here. This means less radicalisation of 2nd generation Muslims already here.

alastair wrote: »
    No we didn’t, and no we don’t.

There’s no evidence whatsoever of training camps or whatever in the Wicklow mountains. Radicals who went to join ISIS were out hillwalking for fitness and privacy of conversation, being concerned about surveillance. Neither Gardaí or those who participated claimed any training took place.

And Ireland ranked 37th per capita internationally for the 30 or so people who went to join ISIS. 6.5 people per million, compared to the 545.5 people per million from Tunisia for instance. It’s simply the small Muslim population here that made those 30 a high percentage (0.072%) of the Muslim population.

I got the info on isis from this article a couple of years ago. I obvioulsy read it wrong.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-capita-study-jihadists-syria-islam-1655655-Sep2014/

Right no training was taking place just some general fitness work and planning taking place in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. It may not have been a training camp as such, but it doesnt look good.

I got the info on isis from this article a couple of years ago. I obvioulsy read it wrong.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-capita-study-jihadists-syria-islam-1655655-Sep2014/

Right no training was taking place just some general fitness work and planning taking place in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. It may not have been a training camp as such, but it doesnt look good.

I'm not one to tell someone how to live their life - but going by this update - maybe you don't need to worry too much about it man!

(this is coming from a big worrier of the small things ha)

I'm not one to tell someone how to live their life - but going by this update - maybe you don't need to worry too much about it man!

(this is coming from a big worrier of the small things ha)

Its not something i think or worry about on a daily basis i can assure you of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 The Hoarse Whisperer

I don't really think this is about Islam but more about the surveillance state wanting to see your face

I don't really think this is about Islam but more about the surveillance state wanting to see your face

https://youtu.be/5rdXvtdSIF8

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

The very fact that Burqas must only be worn by women is proof it is anti-women and thus inequitable. The fact that it is conflated with religion is utter nonsense and a pathetic but not entirely surprising excuse manufactured by yet another male dominated organised religion.
    Beyond this argument is the transplanting of archaic cultural pseudo-religious traditions from the middle east to western europe which is a cause of concern for people. Ultimately I see burqas as the uniform of female suppression and there is no place for that anywhere.

It has to be highlighted that to a much lesser extent womens attire is dictated to when entering the Vatican's St peters and other Christian holy places of worship. Women must cover their bare shoulders , legs and at times their heads... I think this is nonsense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Good news, the Burka is a symbol of the most oppressive form of Islam, all the other sects of Islam see it as extreme and they do not agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Per Capita of the Muslim population here, hadn't Ireland the highest rate in Europe.

Not surprising given Clonskeagh Set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

shanec1928 wrote: »
    plenty in lucan

Burqas? I think I'v seen one in the 13 years I've lived in Lucan.
    I've seen quite a few hijabs and niqabs though

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Heroditas wrote: »
    Burqas? I think I'v seen one in the 13 years I've lived in Lucan.
    I've seen quite a few hijabs and niqabs though

he means adamstown and foxborough , go down the shop in adamstown on welfare day and its like Halloween where everyones dressed up as a binbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Dutch ban is a ban on clothes covering the face (as well as wearing helmets inside etc).
    This isn't just the burka but also the niqab.

Many people get Niqab and Burka mixed up as they didn't have to think about these things only ten, or even five, years ago.

Here is a pic illustrating the difference
    main-qimg-fe186802f8ed647a424ce6f9f46cd7b9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Danzy wrote: »
    Per Capita of the Muslim population here, hadn't Ireland the highest rate in Europe.

Not surprising given Clonskeagh Set up.
    Second highest, only beaten by Finland.

Good move by the Dutch.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    The Dutch ban is a ban on clothes covering the face (as well as wearing helmets inside etc).
    This isn't just the burka but also the niqab.

Many people get Niqab and Burka mixed up as they didn't have to think about these things only ten, or even five, years ago.

Here is a pic illustrating the difference
    main-qimg-fe186802f8ed647a424ce6f9f46cd7b9

Niqab is the one I see in my apartment complex so.

(always picked sub-zero in mortal combat back in the day)

Advertisement