Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch "Burqa ban" comes into force from today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Talk about wanting your cake and eating it.

There's more than one way to reach an intended outcome. While you may be fan of prohibition being used in this instance, I believe it's counter intuitive and only subjects the women in question to further control.

Someday, you might have to pull on your big boy pants, and take a stance on something for the greater good of the many, rather than your myopic view of the world where everyone is a bigot because they're not in agreement with you.

I am taking a stance, against trying to control women. You're trying to change who controls them.

You disgraced yourself with your first response to me, let your proverbial kimono open to let everyone see you for what you are.

Well if that's the case at least I only disgraced myself with one post, unlike yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

MrFresh wrote: »
    There's more than one way to reach an intended outcome. While you may be fan of prohibition being used in this instance, I believe it's counter intuitive and only subjects the women in question to further control.

I am taking a stance, against trying to control women. You're trying to change who controls them.
    I'm against a ban on it, not in favour of it being worn.

While claiming "not to be in favour of it", here you are arguing with those who'd see it banned, based solely on some mental gymnastic feat worthy of a circus, dismissing advocates of a ban as an attempt to control women by controlling those who control them?

Is that it? The substance of your argument?
    You really have nothing. I wont even ask why you're against the wearing of it.

Well if that's the case at least I only disgraced myself with one post, unlike yourself.

Jesus wept, the dialectics equivalent of "because your ma".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

At the risk of repeating myself, let's simplify this...

This "dress code" comes from a culture wholly incompatible with Western European values and lifestyle. The ethos behind it is one that has no place in our cultures either.

Worse again are the liberals who ironically are hastening the erosion of our values (and their own lifestyles) as they shout down anyone not bending over in the name of "tolerance". Don't believe me? Look at France, or Sweden, or parts of the UK where this is already happening.

If you come to our homes, you adapt to our rules and way of life - not expect the locals to change for you.

If you don't like that, there's plenty of places to go more in line with your expectations.

If you don't like my attitude, tough! I've had enough of being told what is "acceptable" by those whose only objective seems to be to virtue signal among similar minded types for online kudos.

For a variety of reasons, I can't see the EU surviving the next inevitable economic crash, but the migration policies of the last few years are hastening that split make no mistake.. But of course, here is good old subservient Ireland we'll no doubt cling on till the very end regardless of what it does at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Anto Lynch wrote: »
    We are required to wear clothing in public or we'll be arrested. Same thing.

Not everyone agrees with this. Personally I regard it as a fundamental violation of individual autonomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I must have missed the part that states the driver was from the middle east, can you link to it please?
    By the power of deduction.
    1 Malmo (more than half of the population is foreign background)
    2 The buss driver said the girl "shows too much skin"
    3 The Swedish papers always report ethnicity - if the perp is Swedish
    4 The driver's boss saying, "there are no religious concerns"... This would never have come up if the driver was Swedish.
    5 If this girl steps aboard your bus in shorts and small top fitting the 30c weather, would you seriously kick her off?

300@60.jpg

You know, if the driver is ethnic Swedish that would be first page news with name and pic of the guy, because then it would be sexist.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Most Irish birds should be forced to wear a burka, with their scouldy big white flabby heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

biko wrote: »
    5 If this girl steps aboard your bus in shorts and small top fitting the 30c weather, would you seriously kick her off?

300@60.jpg

I'd let her sit on my knees for the entire journey.

While claiming "not to be in favour of it", here you are arguing with those who'd see it banned, based solely on some mental gymnastic feat worthy of a circus, dismissing advocates of a ban as an attempt to control women by controlling those who control them?

You do seem to having great difficulty seeing this as more than a binary issue. Like it or not, a ban on what clothing a woman can wear is the same thing as a requirement for them to wear something. That is why I am opposed to a ban on it. In addition, this is a measure that will only be effective in public places so women will have no protection in the place they need it most, their home. All you are doing is sweeping it under the rug. And you aren't doing it to protect women, you are doing it to protect your sensibilities because the sight of them offends you.

As to the item of clothing itself, it is historically rooted in the oppression of women and is a sign of that oppression in modern times. But these are beliefs that are often shared by the women in question due to their religious upbringing. Telling them you are forcing them to do something against their beliefs for their own good is only going to breed animosity and resentment. The more effective approach would be education and supportive environment so they can come to their own decisions while feeling safe in doing so.

Is that it? The substance of your argument?
    You really have nothing. I wont even ask why you're against the wearing of it.

I wouldn't expect you to. It'd burst the bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Talk about wanting your cake and eating it.

Someday, you might have to pull on your big boy pants, and take a stance on something for the greater good of the many, rather than your myopic view of the world where everyone is a bigot because they're not in agreement with you.

You disgraced yourself with your first response to me, let your proverbial kimono open to let everyone see you for what you are.

Im not really seeing ths problem here? One can not like it yet be happy for someone who wants to wear it to do so? I dont like heavy metal music yet I am in favor of people listening to it if they want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Would you be similarly upset if she was kicked off for wearing a head dress?

You could be damn sure the driver would receive very different punishment if that was the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

By the power of deduction.
    1 Malmo (more than half of the population is foreign background)
    2 The buss driver said the girl "shows too much skin"
    3 The Swedish papers always report ethnicity - if the perp is Swedish
    4 The driver's boss saying, "there are no religious concerns"... This would never have come up if the driver was Swedish.

300@60.jpg

You know, if the driver is ethnic Swedish that would be first page news with name and pic of the guy, because then it would be sexist.

So thats a no?

Im not really seeing ths problem here? One can not like it yet be happy for someone who wants to wear it to do so? I dont like heavy metal music yet I am in favor of people listening to it if they want

But are just women in certain parts of the world forced to listen to heavy metal, and punished/killed for not doing so, while their men folk can listen to what they like.
    Are women protesting against being forced to listen to light metal against their will, much less heavy metal?

Shît analogy in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Well done to Holland for standing up to the backwards cult that seems to be immune from criticism by the establishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Islam has no place in civilised Western societies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So thats a no?
    If I remember you in a week when it's reported I'll come back and update.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If I remember you in a week when it's reported I'll come back and update.

So that's still a no?

But are just women in certain parts of the world forced to listen to heavy metal, and punished/killed for not doing so, while their men folk can listen to what they like.
    Are women protesting against being forced to listen to light metal against their will, much less heavy metal?

Shît analogy in fairness!

What about the women who want to wear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

we have at least one woman in our town who wears one. it seems oppressive to see her wearing it and the husband is strolling along in his shirt sleeves and the kids in summer clothes.
    religion hah!

i admire the french willingness to bring in a ban. ireland and its government are without a backbone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Even the ones that say they want to wear it are lying. The reality is if they make a choice not to wear it they'll be branded a whore etc and will be shunned by friends and even family members. Thus being left out of the community and on their own essentially.

Follow The Apostate Prophet on YouTube, he's an ex muslim and he gives a good insight into the bull**** the backwards desert cult spits out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i8YluwJXB8k

• Advertisement

tough shyte.

can't always get what you want. a billion alternatives available, pick one.

greencap wrote: »
    tough shyte.

can't always get what you want. a billion alternatives available, pick one.
    Even the ones that say they want to wear it are lying. The reality is if they make a choice not to wear it they'll be branded a whore etc and will be shunned by friends and even family members. Thus being left out of the community and on their own essentially.

Follow The Apostate Prophet on YouTube, he's an ex muslim and he gives a good insight into the bull**** the backwards desert cult spits out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i8YluwJXB8k

Just to be clear, I do not like burquas or any other religious head covering. The sight of the things disgusts me. Islam in general is a filthy, disgusting & stupid ideology. (Holy sh1t, discussion on Boards is becoming impossible)

Where it where its de rigeur or wear it at home

Even the ones that say they want to wear it are lying.
    tough shyte.

can't always get what you want.

Remember lads, this is for their own good.

Remember lads, this is for their own good.

mmm, no, my good.

mmm, no, my good.

How would a ban benefit you?

How would a ban benefit you?

face veils are only worn by the more extreme sects of Islam.
    and their philosophy is one of intolerance and conquest.

aint room in this town.

map-countries-europe-ban-islamic-face-coverings-veil-burka-burqa-niqab-hijab-757193.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Most Irish birds should be forced to wear a burka, with their scouldy big white flabby heads.
    Your mother must be so proud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

aint room in this town.

Surprised at Latvia and Estonia,wouldnt have thought there was too many Muslims in those parts.

• Advertisement

aint room in this town.

OK, but how would it benefit you?

Advertisement