Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch "Burqa ban" comes into force from today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

biko wrote: »
    Yesterday in Eyre Square shopping centre there were 6 women with white niqabs, one male handler.

For illustration purposes
    women_niqab_black_white_veil.png

I only see one, you filthy Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

biko wrote: »
    Yesterday in Eyre Square shopping centre there were 6 women with white niqabs, one male handler.

For illustration purposes
    women_niqab_black_white_veil.png

And?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I don’t have much understanding of this.

Is it nothing more than a country liberating Muslim women and not allowing certain parts of their religion overrule the law of the land in terms of women’s right and equality?

I don’t have much understanding of this.

Is it nothing more than a country liberating Muslim women and not allowing certain parts of their religion overrule the law of the land in terms of women’s right and equality?

No, its telling a certain section of society (Muslim women) what they can/cannot wear in public.

No, its telling a certain section of society (Muslim women) what they can/cannot wear in public.

I though that’s what their husbands and their religion was doing tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Isn’t that what their men do?

I don’t believe in this ban, as it might inflame tensions, but it’s interesting how there’s some “leftists” not just attacking the law but praising the attire, or ignoring the realities of why some women would wear them.

Funny aside but I have a feeling the same people complaining about ‘gay pride parades are disgusting! All them fellas arses hanging out in assless chaps wearing bondage!
    Are the same people complaining about ‘all them scary Muslim women! Covered up head to toe you can only see them eyes!’

I’d say the Venn diagram is almost a perfect circle :)

But anyways

I don’t believe in this ban, as it might inflame tensions, but it’s interesting how there’s some “leftists” not just attacking the law but praising the attire, or ignoring the realities of why some women would wear them.

I don’t get it either way. It’s attacking religious freedoms(ironic In Islam’s case) but it’s also attacking personal freedom too. Maybe she wants to wear that.

I’d like to think it’s just a country not letting a Muslim religious law supersede the country’s law

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

I don’t get it either way. It’s attacking religious freedoms(ironic In Islam’s case) but it’s also attacking personal freedom too. Maybe she wants to wear that.

I’d like to think it’s just a country not letting a Muslim religious law supersede the country’s law

the burqa predates islam. its not a religious garment.

full face veils are worn by the hardline/conservative sects within islam.
    its not called for in the koran. only worn by sht stirrers and fundamentalists, and fundamentalists who want to stir sht.

we already have clothing laws, time to add face veils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

A motorcyclist has to remove his helmet when going into a garage or shop so they can see his face for CCTV I don't see why the face veil doesn't have the same restriction

How does it work for them at airports at that new facial recognition tech they use when they take your pic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

How does it work for them at airports at that new facial recognition tech they use when they take your pic?
    They simply won't have a choice, comply or deny.

Many cities are already using FRS, and private companies can use it freely. If you refuse to comply, it will result in a denial of services or even a penalty notice (fine) if a civil disturbance is caused as a result of any protest against it.

No, its just telling another section of society what they can/cannot wear in public.

FYP there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

As a woman I am strongly opposed to the burka and believe it should be banned.

The idiots who proclaim that women wear it by choice f to even understand that the women who "choose" to wear this are preached to and brainwashed from young to believe its the right choice.

Any country that promotes equal rights for men and women need to ban it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well if they don't like it they can go to a country were it is the norm to be dressed like that.

They simply won't have a choice, comply or deny.

Many cities are already using FRS, and private companies can use it freely. If you refuse to comply, it will result in a denial of services or even a penalty notice (fine) if a civil disturbance is caused as a result of any protest against it.

Well I meant I’ve been through London airports loads of times and had to do that photo thing.
    And last Time I came home I had to do it here too

So it’s already happening.

As a woman I am strongly opposed to the burka and believe it should be banned.

The idiots who proclaim that women wear it by choice f to even understand that the women who "choose" to wear this are preached to and brainwashed from young to believe its the right choice.

Any country that promotes equal rights for men and women need to ban it

You'll have liberal gobshîtes trying to argue, "over there" its men trying to control what women wear, and here its also men telling women what to wear.

Its a barometer of the subjugation of women, and their value to the culture. In a modern western society its an absolute abomination, an insult to all women.

In before "you just hate foreigners you racist"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Can anyone point to an example of religous discrimination that worked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Well I meant I’ve been through London airports loads of times and had to do that photo thing.
    And last Time I came home I had to do it here too
    So it’s already happening.

For sure, FRS (biometrics) will become commonplace before very long. Even wearing a hoodie or baseball cap could get someone removed from venues or centres.

There are ways around it (the optic's algorithms), but does not involve wrapping ones head in any sort of garb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

good stuff

Odhinn wrote: »
    Can anyone point to an example of religous discrimination that worked?

Sure thats all it is, good old discrimination of the brown foreigners by white men...

Anyway, I thought it wasnt a religious garment, more cultural...No ban on hijabs, so could it possibly be about something else... like for example bigotted Muslim Morocco banning them...

what other drum can I beat.i wonder.

I though that’s what their husbands and their religion was doing tho

Nah thats just what the racists would have you believe ;)

Isn’t that what their men do?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Sure thats all it is, good old discrimination of the brown foreigners by white men...

I was thinking of "white men" (english) suppressing others (now considered white) for their catholicism and how well that worked out for them. You jabber on though, don't mind me.

How did the Shahs banning of the hijab, niqab and the rest work out?

greencap wrote: »
    the burqa predates islam. its not a religious garment.

full face veils are worn by the hardline/conservative sects within islam.
    its not called for in the koran. [B[only worn by sht stirrers and fundamentalists, and fundamentalists who want to stir sht. [/b]

we already have clothing laws, time to add face veils.

I was in birmingham last week for a cousins 50th.

Me and my son went into the bull ring shopping center to do a spot of shopping. All sorts walking aroind, all nationalitys all colours from all.walks of life.

Wemt into burgerking, (he wasn't happy there no maccies in there as he wanted a happy meal) and there was 2 Muslim women in full attire (was weird watching them drink coffee under the veil).

They had 4 young girls with them, one had a hijab on the other 3 (younger) wore no head dress. Not a single person took any notice of them.

During my hour browsing the shops not a single Muslim attempted to convert me, stab me, chop my head off, ir even look twice at me.

Its amazing and funny how scared some of you are over a piece of cloth.

FYP there

Can you tell me another section of society that wears the Burqua? If not then you fixed fùck all kiddo.

No

Yes. Extremist Islam is a patriarchal religion, nobody would naturally want to hide their entire body and face with just slits for the eyes, and wear black in the desert.

Well if they don't like it they can go to a country were it is the norm to be dressed like that.

Oh yes, this old chestnut :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Its amazing and funny how scared some of you are over a piece of cloth.

Not really scared of it as it’s not going to affect me as a male. Do you wear one? If not why not?

It seems clear to me that western men who support locking women up in these prison grabs are quite clearly misogynists.

Advertisement