Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch "Burqa ban" comes into force from today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yes. Extremist Islam is a patriarchal religion, nobody would naturally want to hide their entire body and face with just slits for the eyes, and wear black in the desert.

And you know this through extensive research?

Not really scared of it as it’s not going to affect me as a male. Do you wear one? If not why not?

Because I'm also male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Because I'm also male.

Why should a burqa only be worn by a woman? Wear one in solidarity. Wear one in solidarity in mid summer in Saudi. Full black one.

And you know this through extensive research?

You seem to be reticent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Why should a burqa only be worn by a woman? Wear one in solidarity. Wear one in solidarity in mid summer in Saudi. Full black one.

Yep. He can claim to identify as Female and wear one in solidarity.

• Advertisement

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Yep. He can claim to identify as Female and wear one in solidarity.

No reason to even change his gender. The law doesn’t stop men dressing in a burqa here or in the U.K.

Been saudi in 97 and 2001, not a fan of extremely hot weather.

Will you wear a pink tutu or assless chaps in support og LGBT people at the next pride parade?

How about black eyeliner in support of Goths?

See how ridiculous your argument is?

How does a woman wearing a burqua afgect you and your everyday life?

You seem to be reticent.

So that's a no to the question?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Odhinn wrote: »
    I was thinking of "white men" (english) suppressing others (now considered white) for their catholicism and how well that worked out for them. You jabber on though, don't mind me.

How did the Shahs banning of the hijab, niqab and the rest work out?

O right. Just selective religious discrimation we can discuss? My bad, you werent very clear, and a bit off topic

Theres a subjective answer to that - we both know it , but seeing as they're at the other extreme now - over hijab, maybe we should defer to Iranian women on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

O right. Just selective religious discrimation we can discuss? My bad, you werent very clear, and a bit off topic

Theres a subjective answer to that - we both know it , but seeing as they're at the other extreme now - over hijab, maybe we should defer to Iranian women on this?

...or embrace - the admittedly completely insane notion - that people should have the choice?

• Advertisement

Been saudi in 97 and 2001, not a fan of extremely hot weather.

Will you wear a pink tutu or assless chaps in support og LGBT people at the next pride parade?

How about black eyeliner in support of Goths?

See how ridiculous your argument is?

How does a woman wearing a burqua afgect you and your everyday life?

My argument isn’t ridiculous. And in fact I wouldn’t wear those clothes because they are uncomfortable. However society doesn’t dictate that people dress like that, in fact such clothing is a defiance often enough.

How does a woman wearing a burka affect me? It doesn’t. I literally said that two posts ago. I’m not a woman.

Because I’m not a misogynist though I worry about how it affects women.

...or embrace - the admittedly completely insane notion - that people should have the choice?

You think Islamic women have the choice? Do you think all decisions made by women in the 1950’s in Ireland were by choice or was the choice say influenced by other forces? Sat Catholicism and/or Patriarchy.

My argument isn’t ridiculous. And in fact I wouldn’t wear those clothes because they are uncomfortable. However society doesn’t dictate that people dress like that, in fact such clothing is a defiance often enough.

How does a woman wearing a bureau affect me. It doesn’t. I literally said that two posts ago. I’m not a woman.

Because I’m not a misogynist though I worry about how it affects women.

The (rare) next time you see a woman wearing one why not ask her? Instead of assuming they don't want to wear it why not ask them their views?

Can you tell me another section of society that wears the Burqua? If not then you fixed fùck all kiddo.

Are there not rules in respect of clothes that apply to all people, not just Muslims?

And if its such an anti Muslim measure, why are Muslim countries adopting similar bans?
    Or is it only when a white mans country does it, its "racism"

So your post remains fixed "kiddo"

You think Islamic women have the choice? Do you think all decisions made by women in the 1950’s in Ireland were by choice or was the choice say influenced by other forces? Sat Catholicism and/or Patriarchy.

In a western society they do indeed have the choice. You do realise just how few women wear the niaqab or burkha in France, out of a muslim population in excess of at least 4 million? It was - as far as I recall - under 400. Not 400, 000, 400.

The (rare) next time you see a woman wearing one why not ask her? Instead of assuming they don't want to wear it why not ask them their views?

You still seem reluctant to wear these yourself.

Of course I could ask a woman in a burqa whether she liked it or not. If allowed to by her male guardian. And she might say yes. This wouldn’t prove much as patriarchical or other powerful or dominant societies often have victims who agree to victimisation.

A 1950s house wife would defend her role as being subservient too.

In a western society they do indeed have the choice. You do realise just how few women wear the niaqab or burkha in France, out of a muslim population in excess of at least 4 million? It was - as far as I recall - under 400. Not 400, 000, 400.

What does it matter how few wear them in France? How is that relevant. I would not ban them in Ireland as I said but I think they are an abomination

I’m arguing with a guy who thinks they are ok, and merely saying they are not.

...or... choice?

Ideally all women have a choice
    But we both know how thats going.

And these 400 want to...?

What does it matter how few wear them in France? How is that relevant. I would not ban them in Ireland as I said but I think they are an abomination

I’m arguing with a guy who thinks they are ok, and merely saying they are not.

Because banning them out of hand for a tiny tiny minority is blatant discrimination.

• Advertisement

Ideally all women have a choice
    But we both know how thats going.

We can't refer to western values and choice while denying choice to these people in the matter of a bit of cloth.

Because banning them out of hand for a tiny tiny minority is blatant discrimination.

Yeh. Wasn’t supporting banning them. That was the very next sentence after the one you bolded. I’m still not accepting that they are ok.

(Not even sure why France is being brought up but of course it has a very different history to Ireland or the U.K. as it often bans religious symbols).

This law is Dutch.

Yeh. Wasn’t supporting banning them. That was the very next sentence after the one you bolded. I’m still not accepting that they are ok.

(Not even sure why France is being brought up but of course it has a very different history to Ireland or the U.K. as it often bans religious symbols).

It has the biggest muslim population in Europe. The dutch muslim population I'm not as familiar with the numbers offhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

KKK%20hood%20McKnight%20315%20%281%29_0.jpg

Are there not rules in respect of clothes that apply to all people, not just Muslims?

And if its such an anti Muslim measure, why are Muslim countries adopting similar bans?
    Or is it only when a white mans country does it, its "racism"

So your post remains fixed "kiddo"

You deleted "Muslim women" from.the post, who other than Muslim women wear it?

As i said, fixed fùck all.

You still seem reluctant to wear these yourself.

I'm also reluctant to wear a habit, a crash helmet or a yarmulke.becaise i am neither a nun, a motor cyclist or a jew.
    Of course I could ask a woman in a burqa whether she liked it or not. If allowed to by her male guardian. And she might say yes. This wouldn’t prove much as patriarchical or other powerful or dominant societies often have victims who agree to victimisation.

A 1950s house wife would defend her role as being subservient too.

Not all muslim women are chaperoned, you won't ask becaise the answer you get may shatter your idiotic beliefs.

You deleted "Muslim women" from.the post, who other than Muslim women wear it?

As i said, fixed fùck all.

Rules re cothes and whats acceptable apply to all.

So yup, fixed

Rules re cothes and whats acceptable apply to all.

So yup, fixed

The burqua.is acceptable in ireland so nope, fixed fùck all.

Now if they banned skinney scrotes walking around topless in Dublin once it hit 15 degrees, thats a ban i could get.on board with!

Anyway its time for bed, early meeting in Manchester, another day of not worrying about Muslims in a city full of Muslims, how will i ever survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Can anyone point to an example of religous discrimination that worked?
    This isn't religious discrimination.
    Can you tell me another section of society that wears the Burqua? If not then you fixed fùck all kiddo.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haredi_burqa_sect
    The burqua.is acceptable in ireland so nope, fixed fùck all.
    Based on what?
    Now if they banned skinney scrotes walking around topless in Dublin once it hit 15 degrees, thats a ban i could get.on board with!
    Why do topless men scare you so much?
    Anyway its time for bed, early meeting in Manchester, another day of not worrying about Muslims in a city full of Muslims, how will i ever survive?
    Great cover you face for the meeting, since you feel people find it acceptable there should be no issue with it.
    Report back how it went.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

... early meeting in Manchester, another day of not worrying about Muslims in a city full of Muslims, how will i ever survive?
    Actually you'll survive fine and dandy with not the slightest of worry, as you've stated previously here on boards, that you live in (affulent) Chesire^ county (not Manc, as is alluded to).

In some town/location/area, (that from memory) you described: 'as white as the whitest town in Ireland back in the 1980's'.
    ‎97.3% ^White
    1.7% Asian
    0.6% Black
    0.4% White Other

Why not leave such idyllic peaceful mono-ethnicity behind, and move down to embrace Newham or Tower Hamlets so as to enjoy the true pleasures of actual multi-culturism.

Advertisement