Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ashes 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

What time is stumps today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

If I was Paine I’d send Starc and Cummins in next asking them for a quick 20 each. They need to bowl 10 overs this evening to really put the willys up Root tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    What time is stumps today?

Thought it was 7.30 originally but I think I may be mistaken with the rules that allow for the extra “extra” 30 minutes play. In any event the light won’t last that long anyway I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Smith is something else. Strike rate of 90. What a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Smith is something else. Strike rate of 90. What a player.

some of his shots are outrageous.

in the last test, england will be 1 (maybe 2) smith ****up away from winning that test

• Advertisement

Smith out going for a 6. Not far off an Aussie declaration. Out for 82, his worst score this series!!!

6 overs in 40 mins is fairly cynical from england

Fear of a Headingley repeat is affecting Australia. They're 368 ahead...... time to declare for a chance to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

6 overs in 40 mins is fairly cynical from england

Nothing new there though. Expected, they can only hope for the draw so will take as long as possible in the field now, Australia do need to declare I think soon because they would need a couple of wickets tonight to force the result imo

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Smith out going for a 6. Not far off an Aussie declaration. Out for 82, his worst score this series!!!

In the form of his life. He never really looked in any sort of trouble..

English bowlers have been unlucky though at times, the odd aerial shot not going down the throats of fielders and the stumping chance just too much pace on the ball..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Excessive declaration this.

No way are England chasing down 380 at 4 an over. Just get them in now.

Excessive declaration this.

No way are England chasing down 380 at 4 an over. Just get them in now.

Most critical session for the English of probably the series, the way the series is poised. If England get to lunch tomorrow with only say one down and 150 on the board it would be ‘doable’.

You’d just fancy the way the Aussies have bowled it’s going to be difficult, for the English openers in particular. Aussie tails up, confidence high. Game on.

3 balls in and Burns gone.

4 balls in Root gone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Thats a peach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Oh my god!!

Some start!

Fûck, Cummins on a hattrick, perfect delivery....English are not going to win this from here...

0/2

Why didn't a night watchman come out?

• Advertisement

Why didn't a night watchman come out?

A night watchman is all well and good at say number four or five but it is major risky to send one in against a rested new ball Aussie attack..

Cummins top bowler.

Strumms wrote: »
    A night watchman is all well and good at say number four or five but it is major risky to send one in against a rested new ball Aussie attack..

That peach of a delivery from Cummins could have been used on Overton or Leach. Its a new ball late in the day, not something you want your best batsman to be exposed to, let a tailender see it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

You start sending out night watchmen that early though and they could be rattled through which psychologically would be a blow for any chase/batting out tomorrow knowing the support isn't there.

Hindsight is always easy though for any of us to say what they should have done.

But you'd have your better batsman up against an older ball in better light, that's the whole point of a night watchman.

Irrelevant now anyway, Lyon is the key here, plays his best Australia should win.

Can't see England winning so up to Australia to get them out tomorrow.

8 wickets needed and they've just taken out the two best batsman from the first innings, they're in a very position.

Pitch looks in bits too. But you never know. Can England survive the whole day!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Pitch looks in bits too. But you never know. Can England survive the whole day!?

No chance, will be about 160 all out

• Advertisement

No chance, will be about 160 all out

Hopefully!!

Poised nicely now with those two wickets, no chance of an England win from a long time ago really but might just be enough time now for the Aussies to squeeze one out and wrap it up before the oval. Smith has just been outstanding, Warner needs dropping.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Poised nicely now with those two wickets, no chance of an England win from a long time ago really but might just be enough time now for the Aussies to squeeze one out and wrap it up before the oval. Smith has just been outstanding, Warner needs dropping.

I thought Bancroft was unlucky to be dropped, he is a more patient and technically better player than Warner. The Aussies have been really good in this series, think tomorrow will finally be the conclusive day

The morning session is massive. Again England get into lunch only shipping say a single wicket in the morning session it’s doable... three down it’s definitely advantage Australia..that pendulum can swing either way.l

I thought Bancroft was unlucky to be dropped, he is a more patient and technically better player than Warner. The Aussies have been really good in this series, think tomorrow will finally be the conclusive day

Warner averages better than Cook does for an opener, 46.35 currently. He was on 48 before this series.

He's on a horrible run of form but make no mistake he's a world class opener.

Averaged 63 in the last Ashes series in Australia too.

Bancroft's not good enough for test cricket period.

The morning session is massive. Again England get into lunch only shipping say a single wicket in the morning session it’s doable... three down it’s definitely advantage Australia..that pendulum can swing either way.l

The Aussies should do this.

They had England 9 down at Headingly before tea, and England this time have to bat 30+ overs more.

Denly, Roy, Stokes, Bairstow, Buttler, Archer, Overton, Broad, Leach.

Its not a batting unit that would strike a lot of fear, especially for that Aussie bowling attack, if Lyon backs up the pace attack like he did at Edgbaston, I'd strongly fancy them.

Also Australia will get 20+ overs with a second new ball if it goes late.

• Advertisement

They had England 9 down at Headingly before tea, and England this time have to bat 30+ overs more.

Its not a batting unit that would strike a lot of fear, especially for that Aussie bowling attack, if Lyon backs up the pace attack like he did at Edgbaston, I'd strongly fancy them.

Yes I’m thinking Australia too, their bowling attack is not as aggressive or as potent as before but if they continue to stifle England for much needed runs, force errors then it’s their day, I just don’t see the strength or reliability there in the England batsmen to get it done. Unless they can see lunch only shipping the one wicket say.

Warner averages better than Cook does for an opener, 46.35 currently. He was on 48 before this series.

He's on a horrible run of form but make no mistake he's a world class opener.

Averaged 63 in the last Ashes series in Australia too.

Bancroft's not good enough for test cricket period.

When the eye goes, players like Warner have nothing to fall back on. He relies on his brilliant instinct, he is not technically sound.

Yes I’m thinking Australia too, their bowling attack is not as aggressive or as potent as before but if they continue to stifle England for much needed runs, force errors then it’s their day, I just don’t see the strength or reliability there in the England batsmen to get it done. Unless they can see lunch only shipping the one wicket say.

Doesn't matter how many wickets they lose by lunch England won't be winning this test. Tomorrow is a simple survival job for them and they will need a fair slice of luck for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Can't see Stokesy & Co doing it this time. Have they the patience to bat out the day, somehow I doubt it.

Early days on the final day but already the two Australian quicks looking, speedy, sharp and on point accurate. Hazlewood having bowled five overs and he’s only conceded four runs, seriously accurate, England better hope he is accurate more then attacking more then dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

First hour gone and no wickets, surprisingly.

Think australia need a wicket or 2 before lunch, frustration will start kicking in the longer they dont

Terrific delivery by Cummins

Brilliant delivery and an uncharacteristic tired looking defensive shot. He was nowhere near the ball even though it crashed into the top of off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You would think you wait to see what umpire would say before walking. Would have been reviewed and he would have gone anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

You would think you wait to see what umpire would say before walking. Would have been reviewed and he would have gone anyway

I’d say he knew the Aussies were going to review it anyway, Paine knew he hit it so why bother hanging around. Nice to see batsmen walking (albeit rarely) even with DRS.

Stakes this high against the enemy I wouldn’t be moving a muscle, I was surprised too.

Cummins economy rate is 1.97 fûck.

Conchir wrote: »
    I’d say he knew the Aussies were going to review it anyway, Paine knew he hit it so why bother hanging around. Nice to see batsmen walking (albeit rarely) even with DRS.

Make them review, maybe they would or wouldn’t have chosen to, could be it was even a no ball. At this stage in the series 87/3 vs 87/4 is huge...and anyone extolling the virtues of ‘fair play’... remember this is Australia... Steve Smith ? David Warner ?... fûck em... even before that debacle they were always a side who played on ‘the edge’ of fairness and good taste.... English owe them nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Make them review, maybe they would or wouldn’t have chosen to, could be it was even a no ball. At this stage in the series 87/3 vs 87/4 is huge...and anyone extolling the virtues of ‘fair play’... remember this is Australia... Steve Smith ? David Warner ?... fûck em... even before that debacle they were always a side who played on ‘the edge’ of fairness and good taste.... English owe them nada.

Your making sound like the English are Gentlemen but I do agree this is fair play f*** fair play

• Advertisement
Advertisement