Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ashes 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Your making sound like the English are Gentlemen but I do agree this is fair play f*** fair play

I’m not making them out as gentlemen but they certainly have no record of being pure cheats, overly aggressive, intimidating anti-sporting bullies... Australia, on the other hand...

I’m all for playing hard but playing fair..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Em, England are certainly no saints and have had plenty of nasty, aggressive players down the years and wouldn't be completely free of scandal themselves now TBH. Not sure where anybody would draw that conclusion from even...

Anyway as has been said, great to see Stokes walk. Captain in waiting right there.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Lyon looks like he's finally turned up.

Have to say more suicidal batting and beginning to look like an Australian win is very possible. Lyon turning the ball feet rather than inches.

Pitch isn't doing anything. Just absolutely dead.

That’s it, all over.

Umpiring this series has been terrible out on the field.. that debacle showing that they are no more competent in the third umpire chair, Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Australia struggling a little now, Buttler and Overton seem quite settled, need to get 1 of them out soon enough

Strumms wrote: »
    That’s it, all over.

This has been said quite a few times this series, but its not over till its over.

Australia could well blow this again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nice bit of green

It’s an attritional day of cricket but it’s just adding to what has been a great series. Please, please hang on to keep next weekend alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

The changed ball is swinging and there's a new ball coming in 16 overs so that, plus Cummins and Starc should sort things out.

Personally I think if England draw here they'll win the Ashes at Oval, certainly if they win the toss. So this might it right here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Australia making hard work of it now.

The stars and planets are aligning for England this summer, if Australia don't win this they'll just think its not meant to be for them.

That should be it, huge wicket, terrible leave though

• Advertisement

One hell of a delivery that, some serious late swing. Not great from Buttler but he did get a seriously good delivery there.... disappointed he decided just to leave.

Archer gone now.

Aussies surrounding the batsman here, should've done that 30 overs earlier.

Only one half century and 53 at that on the England score card. Not the sort of batting form that’s going to have you challenging for the ashes or even staying alive in the ashes....

Strumms wrote: »
    Only one half century and 53 at that on the England score card. Not the sort of batting form that’s going to have you challenging for the ashes or even staying alive in the ashes....

And yet they're somehow still in it, unreal when ya think of it, Australia nearly 700 runs and 2 decs and they still haven't won it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

England using every trick in the book here to waste a bit of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

BOHtox wrote: »
    England using every trick in the book here to waste a bit of time

Its crappy, but everyone else would do the same thing.

The lack of yorkers here especially from Cummins must be infuriating for Aussie fans.

Starc is in the side for this ffs.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its crappy, but everyone else would do the same thing.

The lack of yorkers here especially from Cummins must be infuriating for Aussie fans.

Starc is in the side for this ffs.

For sure, I don't blame them one bit.

Rjd2 wrote: »

Maybe its me, but i find we dont see many yorkers in cricket now, the days of Glenn McGrath, Courtney Walsh, Courtly Ambrose steaming them in are long gone

Leach had started well but he didn’t need to be anywhere near that ball with bat or hands.

Labuschagne looks like a very handy part-time spinner to have.

All up to Overton now, can't expose Broad to Starc or well any bowler tbh.:P

You could argue England are due to lose one of these tight tests. Cardiff 2009, Headingly 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You could argue England are due to lose one of these tight tests. Cardiff 2009, Headingly 2019.

Its one thing you about England they are good at holding out ans as I write this it may be bye bye

Edit: bye bye should have been done last test.

Ashes retained. :)

England dug in well but ultimately too much to do in the end.

Australia deserved it.

• Advertisement

Over the 4 games, Australia deserved it, England can have no complaints

Australia deserved it.

Astonishing knock from Stokes aside, Australia have been the better side all series.

England along with India has proved to be the most difficult country to win a long series in over last decade so its a remarkable achievement indeed for Australia.

England might as well make a few changes going in to this. Good few players not performing with bat and ball

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Australia deserved it.

Australia should never have made it this hard on themselves. Should have seen the draw at least last Test and had plenty of opportunity this test. They seem to freeze and go into a different mode when it comes close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Well done Australia. I’m up for them in the Ashes but I was torn between them winning here and keeping it alive for next week.

Will this be known as Smith’s Ashes in the years to come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well deserved Australia,the better team generally and Smith different class, England relied too much on a Hail Mary every game.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

England boo boys still at it with Smith.

Just give over for once would you.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nice bit of green

Conchir wrote: »
    Well done Australia. I’m up for them in the Ashes but I was torn between them winning here and keeping it alive for next week.

Will this be known as Smith’s Ashes in the years to come?
    The Smashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Delighted for Aussies it’s made my summer them retaining the ashes . The silence at end from the boo boys at end was glorious . I hope the Aussies win or draw at the oval if not fair enough , ashes retained .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

England boo boys still at it with Smith.

Just give over for once would you.

We're witnessing history and when their children ask them about the time they seen the great Steve Smith, they will have to tell them they booed him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As good as some of the bowling was Smith is the real difference between these sides.

I made a point of not checking the scores so could watch the highlights and England got closer than I expected to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Good competitive match with a bit of everything in it, but the Aussies always essentially had the upper hand. Won the toss and took advantage of it. Declared twice, would have been a travesty if they hadn't pulled it off.

If anyone saw it, what was with the non lbw decision against Overton I think, who was caught on the back foot with a yorker? And yet ruled missing?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Good competitive match with a bit of everything in it, but the Aussies always essentially had the upper hand. Won the toss and took advantage of it. Declared twice, would have been a travesty if they hadn't pulled it off.

If anyone saw it, what was with the non lbw decision against Overton I think, who was caught on the back foot with a yorker? And yet ruled missing?

Hawkeye showed it was missing leg side. Very late swing obviously!

Why do they not use Hot Spot any more? Everybody bar the third umpire saw Overton's huge inside edge onto the pads for an LBW appeal. Now luckily in the end the contact was outside off stump but it shouldn't have come to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Never mind that, was that the one that was hit outside the line while playing a shot? Never should have gone beyond that check, took an age. It was ridiculous

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

BOHtox wrote: »
    Why do they not use Hot Spot any more? Everybody bar the third umpire saw Overton's huge inside edge onto the pads for an LBW appeal. Now luckily in the end the contact was outside off stump but it shouldn't have come to that.

I don't think it was conclusive that there was an inside edge. Bat definitely hit the pad as the ball was passing which may have caused the spike in the snickometer or whatever you want to call it.

But as Stringer said, these reviews would take a lot less time if they just checked the lbw first. If it shows that it's out then go back to see if there was bat involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Hawkeye showed it was missing leg side. Very late swing obviously!

Sounded quite unusual, must have been some swing :)
    But as Stringer said, these reviews would take a lot less time if they just checked the lbw first. If it shows that it's out then go back to see if there was bat involved.

It's a progression of events in time isn't it - no ball, any bat involved and then LBW. I guess if you have a system, you just stick to it for clarity.

The final test will be interesting, will Eng capitulate or the Aussies take it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Sounded quite unusual, must have been some swing :)

It's a progression of events in time isn't it - no ball, any bat involved and then LBW. I guess if you have a system, you just stick to it for clarity.

The final test will be interesting, will Eng capitulate or the Aussies take it easy.

Probably a bit of both, England massively deflated so would go with an Aussie win if weather is decent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Probably a bit of both, England massively deflated so would go with an Aussie win if weather is decent.

The weather is to be fine for the full 5 days

https://www.bbc.com/weather/6545174

England i'd imagine will make a couple of changes.

I'd bring back Moeen as he has been in great form the last few weeks and i feel he is a confidence player. Leach bowled terribly and doesn't offer much with the bat.

I'd drop Overton also and bring in Sam Curran at his home ground.

Not sure how Australia will go starting 11. I'd probably bring Mitchell Marsh for Wade and drop Harris for Bancroft/Khawaja

Surprised they named the same squad. Possibly the turnaround was too short for them.

Denly was getting decent runs as an opener but long term he won't be around and in general I don't think he's up to it. Handy part-time leg spinner but there was a chance for Sibley to come in to open.

Buttler and Bairstow have both been dreadful with the bat. Give one the gloves and drop one for Ollie Pope and give him a go.

I think we'll see Curran come in. Broad has been bowling well. Archer has been bowling quite well. I wonder does he have the mentality to bat at this level though. He seems disinterested, he slogs a lot. England needs players down here that will hang on and let the lower order score runs. Leach can hang on although he's been mediocre with the ball. I'm not even sure who their next spinner would be.

I'd have gone for
    Burns
    Sibley
    Root (C)
    Roy
    Stokes
    Pope
    Buttler
    Curran
    Archer
    Broad
    Leach/ AN Other