Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ashes 2019

Comments

Beasty wrote: »
    It's part and parcel of the game. Archer has nothing to regret here. He was doing his job remarkably well, and cannot be expected to be less aggressive because he'd already hit Smith. If Smith was considered fit enough to continue after the arm injury, he, and the medics knew Archer had to target him with aggressive bowling

Oh I know that. I wasn't suggesting that Archer or England were out of line at all. Fully entitled to bowl as they did. My remark was in jest.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

seems the umpires ordered him off?
    There is a protocol with all head injuries. Any suspicion of concussion and the player must leave the field unless the medics give him the all-clear there and then. He can continue to be assessed behind the scenes, but he was clearly dazed. My own experience of serious concussions suggests he was not fit to continue. As I say though, that's for the medics, and not teammates or team officials to decide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's part and parcel of the game. Archer has nothing to regret here. He was doing his job remarkably well, and cannot be expected to be less aggressive because he'd already hit Smith. If Smith was considered fit enough to continue after the arm injury, he, and the medics knew Archer had to target him with aggressive bowling

England would be moaning and crying if Australia were bringing bodyline bowling to this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

VillaMad wrote: »
    Mitchell Johnson did this to England back in 2013/14 and England turned into a mess. Awesome bowling by Archer and Smith was unfortunately eventually caught out by one.

a lot has changed since then. i would have liked him to at least feign a little bit of concern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m no doctor but that area of the head where Smith was struck is close to the cerebellum, that impairs balance and motor function if affected, for a cricket ball to impact there at that speed, let’s just say from experience I’d be surprised if we see him again today....ouch.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If it is formally diagnosed as concussion I suspect he may not be allowed to take part in the next Test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

In post-Phillip Hughes cricket, given where that ball hit Smith and at what speed, it was a little scary to watch.

ICC Concussion Protocol

here

Looks like he could return if concussion suspected but certainly not today. It looks more likely there could be a 7 day return period, but that's not set in stone which does open up the possibility of playing in the next test even if it is concussion. Of course the also need to look at his arm.

Archer is bowling some serious as fûck hardcore fast and nasty climbing bouncers,

Looks like a great decision not to review there.

Strumms wrote: »
    Archer is bowling some serious as fûck hardcore fast and nasty climbing bouncers,

Looks like a great decision not to review there.
    TBH I don't think the wicket is up to standard. The fact it can sometimes struggle to reach the keeper, but sometimes flies way above the keeper's head is showing it's way too inconsistent, and indeed dangerous when you see the likes of Archer causing the sort of problems he has to the best batsman in the World

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

VillaMad wrote: »
    Mitchell Johnson did this to England back in 2013/14 and England turned into a mess. Awesome bowling by Archer and Smith was unfortunately eventually caught out by one.

Well what goes around, comes around. If Steve Smith has been incapacitated by this, I'd expect some fairly hostile bowling when Eng get back in and I'd be thinking that Archer will hope that he doesn't have to face it!

TBH I don't think the wicket is up to standard. The fact it can sometimes struggle to reach the keeper, but sometimes flies way above the keeper's head is showing it's way too inconsistent, and indeed dangerous when you see the likes of Archer causing the sort of problems he has to the best batsman in the World

Yep there is some inconsistency of bounce here we’ve seen from fuller deliveries in the main but what did for Smith was just speed there... 93mph and climbing directly towards his head, probably the perfect bouncer, a little too perfect for Smith...

Steve Smith is in the changing room, still wearing his pads. Looks like he at least wants to come back in.

Well according to Mikey they can bring in a batting replacement, but need to notify the ICC beforehand. That would mean probably not for this innings, but they may be able to bring someone in for the 2nd innings if concussion is confirmed

Smith still in his pads. Be amazing if he came back and got the century!

Yep there is some inconsistency of bounce here we’ve seen from fuller deliveries in the main but what did for Smith was just speed there... 93mph and climbing directly towards his head, probably the perfect bouncer, a little too perfect for Smith...
    It was great bowling, but the inconsistency in the pitch means batsmen have to consider two alternative reactions. A the speed Archer is bowling that's arguably pretty much impossible

Well that's sorted - he's back

Here is Smith ����

And here he comes! Amazing, bit wary myself but if the doctor cleared him then have to assume he’s ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Lord's booing Smith back onto the field...charming.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Lord's booing Smith back onto the field...charming.

Good response to them there with 2 boundaries.

No point in second guessing doctors but seems odd, just creamed that for four so not too much obviously wrong...four again....England need to straight away get up around his head again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

...England need to straight away get up around his head again...

What are you saying there?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    What are you saying there?

We saw a great short delivery cause him a superb amount of difficulty to the point of injury...do it again.

Glenn McGrath, Merv Hughes, Jason Gillespie etc would not exactly be bowling yorkers here if the shoe was on the other foot.

That was weird, why did he review ? He didn’t pick a full delivery at all....hmm

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced he's OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That was weird, why did he review ? He didn’t pick a full delivery at all....hmm
    Purely on the off chance it was missing, you could see himself and Cummins kinda give a look of why not.

I'm not convinced he's OK.

Between his arm and that knock to the head/neck area I am surprised he went back out, even if he was cleared.

A good chance that some later tests confirm he is concussed.

Damn I really wanted to see another century for him there. The last 21 times he’s reached the 90s he went on to make a 100 (courtesy of TMS).

Very poor shot by Roy. Neither he nor the coaches will be happy to see him just hang the bat up by his chest in what was neither a defensive or offensive shot... just hanging the bat for the ball to hit....

• Advertisement

Even worse by Root on his first ball.

Why they persist with Roy, as an opener no less, is beyond me. He's not even related to a test batsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Very poor shot by Roy. Neither he nor the coaches will be happy to see him just hang the bat up by his chest in what was neither a defensive or offensive shot... just hanging the bat for the ball to hit....

Roy's not a a test player. Not even close. Might scratch some test runs against Sri Lanka, Bangladesh or the West Indies, but that's about it.

He's there mainly because Alec Stewart keeps telling everyone that he's a great prospect. And because there's such a lack of alternatives; - they really should ask Sir Ali Cook to come back for the rest of the Test series.

Portsalon wrote: »
    Roy's not a a test player. Not even close. Might scratch some test runs against Sri Lanka, Bangladesh or the West Indies, but that's about it.

He's there mainly because Alec Stewart keeps telling everyone that he's a great prospect. And because there's such a lack of alternatives; - they really should ask Sir Ali Cook to come back for the rest of the Test series.

Yes there is a serious lack of quality openers it seems...England have struggled there for a while.

Jeez that’s a seriously great catch by Siddle off his own bowling.

Jeez that’s a seriously great catch by Siddle off his own bowling.

Better than Warner's fielding so far!

Burns gone now...nicked it and caught behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Rumours that a cable has been sent by Cricket Australia to the ECB, and that highups in both governments are concerned the series may be called off, fracturing relations between the two countries. Diplomatic channels open to try and calm things down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Rumours that a cable has been sent by Cricket Australia to the ECB, and that highups in both governments are concerned the series may be called off, fracturing relations between the two countries. Diplomatic channels open to try and calm things down.

?

England in a bit of trouble here.

Having seen the Smith blow a couple more times, I think he was very lucky not to have been seriously injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

My heart stopped, memories of that Sheffield shield game and Phil Hughes came rushing back.

Hopefully he's alright, I don't have any problem with the delivery or the aggressive bowling. Wasn't keen on Archers reaction but I can get over that.

Smith certainly wasn't right when he came back out, we shall see tomorrow I guess. Anybody who booed should be ashamed by the way.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Between his arm and that knock to the head/neck area I am surprised he went back out, even if he was cleared.

A good chance that some later tests confirm he is concussed.
    The way he came back in all guns blazing was the primary concern for me. He was trying to make a statement, but if he was OK he really did not need to do so. His arm may have been bothering him, which again would not be conducive to trying to hit the ball out of the ground.

It he was as "fit" as he had been before the ball hit his neck (and the arm was not particularly restricting him) he could probably have got to his century without any unnecessary risks. His best tactic, on returning to the crease, would have been to take it carefully for a couple of overs at least, but that was certainly not in his "mind"

"A cable":confused:
    Are you getting mixed up with the "Bodyline" Tour?

The way he came back in all guns blazing was the primary concern for me. He was trying to make a statement, but if he was OK he really did not need to do so. His arm may have been bothering him, which again would not be conducive to trying to hit the ball out of the ground.

It he was as "fit" as he had been before the ball hit his neck (and the arm was not particularly restricting him) he could probably have got to his century without any unnecessary risks. His best tactic, on returning to the crease, would have been to take it carefully for a couple of overs

He came back out in a sort of belligerent twenty20 mode... shot selection all over the place for a finely balanced test match and from an experienced professional that was just fûcking mad..

It he was as "fit" as he had been before the ball hit his neck (and the arm was not particularly restricting him) he could probably have got to his century without any unnecessary risks. His best tactic, on returning to the crease, would have been to take it carefully for a couple of overs at least, but that was certainly not in his "mind"
    Langer basically said in his presser that Smith assured him numerous times that he wasn't suffering an I'll effects of the blow to the head. His main determination was to get out there and get his name on the honours board. Said that Smith was dealing with pain in his arm that was effecting his top hand grip on the bat.

The dismissal was certainly out of character but he was being bullish, no doubt the adrenaline was flowing and to me he looked completed flat footed in two minds about the shot he wanted to play, it can happen to anyone, just I think everyone is surprised for him to do it. Until he comes out and says what was going through his head at the time we're all in the dark.

It's a shame that this test is probably going to end up in a damp squib of a draw as it has been a very good game when cricket has actually been played.

Smith out of the rest of this test, and the next test as well I assume.

Huge swing in the series now, particularly if England get a result today.

Can't say I'm surprised, but Smith now ruled out of this Test and the Aussies are applying for a replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Given the victory in the first test, as long as Australia avoid defeat today they will need to win 1 more test to retain the ashes. In that regard leaving Smith out of the next test (as they should I would imagine) isn't as big a disaster as it could be and should absolutely not be risked, there's no possible excuse.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

It’s just crap how the weather really destroyed the possibility of a result... it was set up nicely until the downpours

Advertisement