Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ashes 2019

Comments

The Aussies haven't had a great time with their reviews this innings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

All the sky commentators seem to have been given a script, they keep telling us what an exciting test match this is shaping into. It's nearly 3pm on the final day and we're still in the third innings, exactly how many test matches have you seen not end in a draw from here? England look comfortable enough too, not like the pitch is a minefield or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

All the sky commentators seem to have been given a script, they keep telling us what an exciting test match this is shaping into. It's nearly 3pm on the final day and we're still in the third innings, exactly how many test matches have you seen not end in a draw from here?
    Agree with you re. the draw being almost inevitable. But if England cracked on and got a lead of, say, 220, then declare. That would leave them a session and a bit to try to make the Aussies sweat a bit while at the same time being too far ahead to be caught in the overs/time left. If they did that and had the Aussies at, say, 50-4 (highly unlikely, but anyway), it make for an interesting last half a session.

I think England are playing into the Aussies hands at the moment. I'd say Australia are happy enough to keep on bowling. Means less overs for them and their dodgy top order to face. I can't see Australia even looking to chase 190 if England were to declare now, nevermind if they get a lead of 220-250. And England are the ones behind in the series. Australia won't be too unhappy with a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Australia one up, only need to draw the series to retain the ashes, and are without their (and the world's) best batsman. No way they'll go for any run chase. The only way I'd see any England win would be for some fog to descend on the ground and the ball to start swinging round corners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think win is just about gone for both sides.... give it 15 minutes, Stokes gets jhis hundred and a win for Australia taken completely out of the equation.

David Lloyd on Stokes getting hit in the neather regions and not making a meal of it... “well he’s probably got better equipment then I did”

Broad unlucky, a centimeter over the stumps and a centimeter away from the edge of the bat, the one delivery, unlucky.

Australia in trouble. Bancroft needs to dig in for them. He's not in good form either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Aussies would probably love a few showers now. That was a serious blow to the faceguard.

• Advertisement

Labuschagne now clattered on the head by a Archer, seriously impressive by Archer.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Smith's replacement felled first ball

Helmet did him a massive favour, but there must be another concussion question

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Archer is sensational. Don't think I've seen another England bowler with so much "venom" and so much consistency over extended spells

Getting interesting now - 3 wickets down

Got to say though for the amount of cricket played on it, this wicket is poor

Beasty wrote: »
    Archer is sensational. Don't think I've seen another England bowler with so much "venom" and so much consistency over extended spells

He’s accurate as hell. Fast too, Australia in defense mode against him. Not due to the match and the position they are in they just can’t hit him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Beasty wrote: »

Always thought "hostile" bowling a great description.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

This has been an excellent test I think.

Weather has robbed us of a win but I think England went 8-10 overs too many. They didn’t put the foot down early enough I don’t think. They gave themselves 50 overs to bowl Australia out but needed to give themselves a few more I think

Archer is great to watch but they’ve put him through a serious amount of work these last 2 days.

As a neutral I hope he is fresh as a daisy for the 3rd test and rips through the aussies next week to at least leave the series finely poised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No way that was out. Clearly hit the ground before he caught it.

Not sure about that decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Very questionable decision there, not out for me.

• Advertisement

Decision on the field was out I think, so needs to be clear evidence to overturn. It wasn’t altogether clear one way or another so decision stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

would disagree with the decision as well.

Strumms wrote: »
    Decision on the field was out I think, so needs to be clear evidence to overturn. It wasn’t altogether clear one way or another so decision stands.

It looked very clear. It clearly hit the ground.

Ok another wicket, probably still a bit late in the day but another wicket falls in the next two overs and you never know, getting into the tail, after a long day, tired players, pressure on...

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It looked very clear. It clearly hit the ground.

I’d disagree that it was clear hence the five minutes replaying all the various angles.

I’d disagree that it was clear hence the five minutes replaying all the various angles.

Joel Wilson was struggling with it but it clearly hit the ground.

Joel Wilson was struggling with it but it clearly hit the ground.

It wasn’t ‘clear’ hence the multiple angles and replays. It was imperative that they try to establish if fingers were under the ball before it hit the ground.

It wasn’t ‘clear’ hence the multiple angles and replays. It was imperative that they try to establish if fingers were under the ball before it hit the ground.

i would have given it NO after the first replay.

Joe Root is some man if his fingers are under this ball.....

• Advertisement

jesus tim paine. and you're the captain as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Incredible catch by Denly. Surely too late though.

England might rue the Head chance, that sticks they just need 3.

no quicks for the last 4 overs due to the light

pattinson dropped!

pattinson dropped!
    Cummins?

• Advertisement

cummings :o

Draw. If Smith misses the next one then all to play for as England will definitely fancy their chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

How long was lost due to rain over the test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

BOHtox wrote: »
    How long was lost due to rain over the test?
    They lost the full opening day, the third day was cut short by a few overs and they lost 10 (?) overs this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Joe Root is some man if his fingers are under this ball.....

He knew, two teams full of cheats. Spirit of the game me hole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cracking test, full of box office drama. Jofra Archer certainly is a star in the making.

Cracking test, full of box office drama. Jofra Archer certainly is a star in the making.

Scary thing about a Archer is that he is only 24. He is super fast, so accurate and dangerous... I can’t remember seeing such a young all out paceman bowl consistently from over to over constantly finding the perfect line and length then the odd surprise bouncer capable of decapitation. Just seriously quick, accurate and youth on his side.

Scary thing about a Archer is that he is only 24. He is super fast, so accurate and dangerous... I can’t remember seeing such a young all out paceman bowl consistently from over to over constantly finding the perfect line and length then the odd surprise bouncer capable of decapitation. Just seriously quick, accurate and youth on his side.

He hides his slow ball beautifully as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Shocking the West Indies let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Its still advantage Australia as they only need to win one more test now from any of the next 3 to retain the Ashes.

Shocking the West Indies let him go.
    Don’t think it’s really a case of the West Indies let him go when he said he wanted to play for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

kmart6 wrote: »
    Don’t think it’s really a case of the West Indies let him go when he said he wanted to play for England.

Ah yes, we've been there and bought that teeshirt :)

Will depend on the wicket too, seemed to be a certain amount of uneven bounce at Lords? He was also lucky that Smith wasn't 'decapitated' as you put it. If the worst fears had come to pass the other day, it could have also been the end of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Aussies have to learn to take what they've given in the past. Would Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh be allowed to bowl now?! ;)

The Aussies have to learn to take what they've given in the past. Would Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh be allowed to bowl now?! ;)

Times have changed a bit - when one of the most capable batsmen in world cricket could have been killed by a ball, most people don't have time for that now. Suspect there'll be a further tightening up on protection gear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement